Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [CVG]Crysis 2 sales dominated by Xbox 360 version
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[CVG]Crysis 2 sales dominated by Xbox 360 version - Page 18  

post #171 of 188
Consoles suck ! I say go buy a Wii you a ho s
Old Timer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1055T Asus M4A87TD/USB3 XFX HD 6950 1GB Kingston Hyper X 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Hitachi Deskstar 1TB Lite On DVD Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Win 7 x64 
MonitorPowerCase
View Sonic 22in 1080P LED OCZ 750 Antec 300 
  hide details  
Old Timer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1055T Asus M4A87TD/USB3 XFX HD 6950 1GB Kingston Hyper X 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Hitachi Deskstar 1TB Lite On DVD Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Win 7 x64 
MonitorPowerCase
View Sonic 22in 1080P LED OCZ 750 Antec 300 
  hide details  
post #172 of 188
They should of made the game with Wii graphix, why not
Sexy Red Got Wet
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 4.2GHZ evga FTW3 x58(nb/sb cooled by stacked 120mm rads) SLI Zotac gtx580 3gb (WC EK)  Corsair Dominator 6gb 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x Raptor 150gb, 1 300gb raptor, 1 tb black caviar Win7 Ultimate (64bit) 3x Viewsonic x2268 3dVision Surround!! g-15 Logitech 
PowerCaseMouse
antec 1000w Quattro antec 1200(all fans are coolermaster r4) g-500 Logitech 
  hide details  
Sexy Red Got Wet
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 4.2GHZ evga FTW3 x58(nb/sb cooled by stacked 120mm rads) SLI Zotac gtx580 3gb (WC EK)  Corsair Dominator 6gb 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x Raptor 150gb, 1 300gb raptor, 1 tb black caviar Win7 Ultimate (64bit) 3x Viewsonic x2268 3dVision Surround!! g-15 Logitech 
PowerCaseMouse
antec 1000w Quattro antec 1200(all fans are coolermaster r4) g-500 Logitech 
  hide details  
post #173 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telimektar View Post
Especially when 90% of people who will play Crysis 2 on PC will just pirate it, but everyone says its fine PC is doing good
I recently went to a lanparty, and one guy brought Crysis 2 pirate version.

On the last day of the party there were up to 300 machines with Crysis 2 pirated version.

I was the only one with the legit invoice of it.


Sadly, I expect Crysis 3 to be console only. We deserve it.
   
AGP bencher
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R7 1700 Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming 5 Sapphire HD 6950 2GiB 2x8GB KFA2 HOF DDR4-3600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial MX100 256GB Seagate 600 Series 240GB Seagate 7200.14 2TB Samsung F3 1TB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EKWB Supreme HF XSPC Rasa GPU EK XT360 EK 4.0 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
W10 Pro LG IPS235 LG E2250V KUL ES-87 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
SF Leadex II 650W Lian Li PC-A05NB Logitech G9 Xonar DX 
AudioAudio
SMSL SA-S3+Technics CB-250 Sennheiser HD555 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD A10-5700 Gigabyte F2A75M-HD2 G.SKILL Ares 2133 CL9 Hitachi 5K750 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Momentus .7 200GB Noctua NH-L9a Server 2012 R2 Standard AUO B156HW01 
PowerCaseOther
PicoPSU-80-WI-25V AIO Aluminium Handmade TP-Link Archer Something Something Wi-Fi AC 
CPUCPUCPUMotherboard
Core2Duo E6400 Core2Quad Q6600 Pentium Dual Core E5200 AsRock 4COREDUAL-SATA2 R2.0 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
A dumpload of ancient AGP cards Kingston Value DDR2-667 CL4 2T @CL3 1T Seagate 160GB 7200.10 LG IDE DVD-ROM 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Ghettomade CPU waterblock 49cc 2stroke engine copper radiator WinXP SP2 32bit ProView 17" 
PowerCase
Tacens Radix V 550W Ghetto aluminium bench 
  hide details  
   
AGP bencher
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R7 1700 Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming 5 Sapphire HD 6950 2GiB 2x8GB KFA2 HOF DDR4-3600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial MX100 256GB Seagate 600 Series 240GB Seagate 7200.14 2TB Samsung F3 1TB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EKWB Supreme HF XSPC Rasa GPU EK XT360 EK 4.0 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
W10 Pro LG IPS235 LG E2250V KUL ES-87 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
SF Leadex II 650W Lian Li PC-A05NB Logitech G9 Xonar DX 
AudioAudio
SMSL SA-S3+Technics CB-250 Sennheiser HD555 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD A10-5700 Gigabyte F2A75M-HD2 G.SKILL Ares 2133 CL9 Hitachi 5K750 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Momentus .7 200GB Noctua NH-L9a Server 2012 R2 Standard AUO B156HW01 
PowerCaseOther
PicoPSU-80-WI-25V AIO Aluminium Handmade TP-Link Archer Something Something Wi-Fi AC 
CPUCPUCPUMotherboard
Core2Duo E6400 Core2Quad Q6600 Pentium Dual Core E5200 AsRock 4COREDUAL-SATA2 R2.0 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
A dumpload of ancient AGP cards Kingston Value DDR2-667 CL4 2T @CL3 1T Seagate 160GB 7200.10 LG IDE DVD-ROM 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Ghettomade CPU waterblock 49cc 2stroke engine copper radiator WinXP SP2 32bit ProView 17" 
PowerCase
Tacens Radix V 550W Ghetto aluminium bench 
  hide details  
post #174 of 188
Crysis 2 eh?

crytek should be sodomized and put to death,

pc ftw
post #175 of 188
is the multiplayer multi systems? For example XBOX360 vs PC online?
I7 Antec 900
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 6700k 4.0ghz@4.7ghz 1.376 load Asus Z170-AR Rev 1.xx 1151 Evga GTX 1080 Gddr5 FTW OC Core 2101Mhz Mem 500... 16gb Crucial Ballistix 16-16-16-39@2400mhz 1.2 ... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SD 120gb Scandisk Boot WD Black 1Tb WD Blue 500gb Wd 120gb Samsung DVD+RW 20x20 x2 Windows 10 pro X64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 48inch 120hz TV Devastor Blue LED Corsair RM 850X 80 Plus Gold Antec 900 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Black Web Tricolor LED gaming Mouse Ocean Mouse Pad On board 7.1 Crystal Sound 3 Logitec 5.1 Speakers 
  hide details  
I7 Antec 900
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 6700k 4.0ghz@4.7ghz 1.376 load Asus Z170-AR Rev 1.xx 1151 Evga GTX 1080 Gddr5 FTW OC Core 2101Mhz Mem 500... 16gb Crucial Ballistix 16-16-16-39@2400mhz 1.2 ... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SD 120gb Scandisk Boot WD Black 1Tb WD Blue 500gb Wd 120gb Samsung DVD+RW 20x20 x2 Windows 10 pro X64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 48inch 120hz TV Devastor Blue LED Corsair RM 850X 80 Plus Gold Antec 900 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Black Web Tricolor LED gaming Mouse Ocean Mouse Pad On board 7.1 Crystal Sound 3 Logitec 5.1 Speakers 
  hide details  
post #176 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Pat__ View Post
You're saying that Portal is an FPS, so it must be judged as one. I'm saying it's not, and thus he is allowed to judge Crysis 2 differently. What else is there to argue but semantics?
So your basic criteria for what makes a good game changes wildly from one genre to the next? Mine stays pretty constant. Great gameplay, have a polished product, minimize bugs/glitches, good voiceovers and sound and at the bottom i have graphics. That doesn't change from one genre to the next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by __Pat__ View Post
No, the only reason they went with Crysis' name is to cash in on the first. It doesn't have to do with pacifying tech nerds, it has to do with being honest with your customers.
They are honest to customers. Its the sequel to Crysis. LoL. Just because tech nerds are too concerned with what version of DirectX they used doesn't change that fact.

If it was named Crysis 2 and didn't have the Nanosuit, then you might have a point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by __Pat__ View Post
Crysis 1 was a sandbox game AND it had great graphics. Crysis 2 has none.
So Crysis 2 'doesn't hold a candle' to Crysis 1 because it isn't a sandbox game, despite the fact that Crysis 1 really isn't that much of a sandbox game either?


Quote:
Originally Posted by __Pat__ View Post
Crysis 1 doesn't. But the second one does. It doesn't bring anything new an already over-saturated FPS market.
What was it supposed to 'bring' beyond what it built on with the first? Its already better than any FPS that's been released in the last 2 yrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by __Pat__ View Post
This isn't about the $10 increase. This is about games being $50-$60 in the first place.
You just contradicted yourself. The recent $10 increase is what led to games being $60. Before that they were ALWAYS $50 or higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by __Pat__ View Post
More than enough to offset the 'programming costs'.
You don't know that. You're obviously assuming. You seem to have no clue as to what their operating costs, failure rate and revenue are. You just see $60 a game x millions of sales and you assume that they're just greedy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by __Pat__ View Post
And in 10 years Crytek could find their gaming model isn't financially viable. This has nothing to do with the present.
1st off your counter point is weak because what Crytek is doing isn't beyond the norm, which is to say to create a good game that focuses on a few key elements in order to stay within budget. What Rockstar is doing, creating $100 million budgets per game, is double the norm.

2nd, it has EVERYTHING to do with the present b/c you're currently pointing at Rockstar as an example of a company that can do it all and I'm trying to get you to understand that they're the exception, not the rule. Rockstar, as good as they are, probably has only 3 bad games in them at their current pace. The second they have a misstep, you can guarantee their budget is going to be reduced for the next game to compensate. They're taking huge $100 million risks right now because they're on a tear and they have the bank from all the games they've sold. You can't expect a company like Crytek to take the same risks as Rockstar b/c Crytek may not even HAVE $100 million in the bank. What would be a 'setback' for Rockstar would probably be Bankruptcy for anyone else.

Maybe if PC gamers didn't pirate Crysis 1 at a 15:1 ratio then your prayers would be answered. They sold 3 million copies of Crysis 1. 1 million within the first quarter. So lets say $50 x 1 million, 2 million x $20 (avg) for a total of $90 million in sales. $90 mil - $25 mil for production costs and ASSUMING there were no failed side projects, debt to pay off or other issues, that's $65 million with which to not only build a new engine but make a game for 3 platforms when $25 mil was the cost for JUST PC.

Now if only 2 out of every 15 people that pirated the game bought it, they'd be at triple their original sales, which would mean they'd end up with some $245 million. That means they'd have money to experiment, money to add extra programmers and they'd be able to reduce EA's influence on the sequel. Then they'd cater to the PC gaming crowd first. However, through Crytek's own attempts with Crysis 1, they've proven that catering to the ultra high demands of the PC's elitist crowd doesn't net you any extra sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by __Pat__ View Post
I'm sorry, I didn't realize Rockstar had a magical genie that automatically made their games sell well, and thus no other developer can reproduce their success.
C'mon man, use some critical thinking before you respond to me. This is shallow drivel with no thought behind it.

Not only are you essentially contradicting yourself from earlier ( saying Crysis 2 is being too similar to other FPS but somehow advocating that other companies copy Rockstar ) but you're underestimating how many factors contribute to Rockstar's overall success. It's like saying ANYONE can make 5 star movies or music. Sandboxes with huge budgets are Rockstar's realm. You could hand almost any Dev $100 mil to make a GTA clone and it wouldn't come out as good as Rockstar's version, just like Pixar rules the CG kids movies that adults can relate to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exar_kun View Post
Can someone please tell me why I'm paying $90 for a new release game in Aust, when our dollar is worth $1.04 US??????

And console games are around $110.

I dont condone piracy (but can understand with such a variance in price tag), would love to see a demo of each game. I purchased Homefront instead, not for graphics. But more for the premise that Korea invades America (fell over laughing when I heard that)

I know plenty of guys that run pirated games on consoles, then most of them go and buy the game if they enjoyed it.

Me, I'll play a demo or watch video then decide to buy it.

Crysis 2 my still find its way into my collection, if the reported bugs get patched.
I totally agree when it comes to issues like THIS. That is the only reason I can understand pirating.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
post #177 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artikbot View Post
I recently went to a lanparty, and one guy brought Crysis 2 pirate version.

On the last day of the party there were up to 300 machines with Crysis 2 pirated version.

I was the only one with the legit invoice of it.


Sadly, I expect Crysis 3 to be console only. We deserve it.
Exactly. People can point to Crysis 2 being _____________ as a reason to pirate all they want but the fact remains that when Crytek put out the dedicated PC exclusive Crysis 1, it got pirated 15:1.

Crytek has essentially proven that you can treat the PC community like kings or like crap and they'll pirate your game all the same.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
post #178 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuNkDrSpOt View Post
So your basic criteria for what makes a good game changes wildly from one genre to the next? Mine stays pretty constant. Great gameplay, have a polished product, minimize bugs/glitches, good voiceovers and sound and at the bottom i have graphics. That doesn't change from one genre to the next.
Yes it does actually. A shooter can afford to be linear (not recommended though) but an RPG cannot.
An RTS can afford not having great graphics, an FPS cannot, etc...
As for the things you mentioned, those are musts rather than cherry on top.

Quote:
They are honest to customers. Its the sequel to Crysis. LoL. Just because tech nerds are too concerned with what version of DirectX they used doesn't change that fact.

If it was named Crysis 2 and didn't have the Nanosuit, then you might have a point.
If I got a nickel every time you said tech nerd. Who made Crysis popular? Tech nerds. If it weren't for us, Crysis won't be a long forgotten name in the the of FPS market.

Quote:
So Crysis 2 'doesn't hold a candle' to Crysis 1 because it isn't a sandbox game, despite the fact that Crysis 1 really isn't that much of a sandbox game either?
Crysis not a sandbox game? At the risk of sounding like Steve Jobs, you weren't playing it right


Quote:
What was it supposed to 'bring' beyond what it built on with the first? Its already better than any FPS that's been released in the last 2 yrs.
I don't know! If I knew I would start my own company and make $$$
People get payed to know these things.


Quote:
You just contradicted yourself. The recent $10 increase is what led to games being $60. Before that they were ALWAYS $50 or higher.
Nice strawman. I didn't say they weren't $50. I said whether they are $50 or $60 they are more than enough to cover production costs.
[quote]
You don't know that. You're obviously assuming. You seem to have no clue as to what their operating costs, failure rate and revenue are. You just see $60 a game x millions of sales and you assume that they're just greedy.
[quote]
But you know right?


Quote:
1st off your counter point is weak because what Crytek is doing isn't beyond the norm, which is to say to create a good game that focuses on a few key elements in order to stay within budget. What Rockstar is doing, creating $100 million budgets per game, is double the norm.

2nd, it has EVERYTHING to do with the present b/c you're currently pointing at Rockstar as an example of a company that can do it all and I'm trying to get you to understand that they're the exception, not the rule. Rockstar, as good as they are, probably has only 3 bad games in them at their current pace. The second they have a misstep, you can guarantee their budget is going to be reduced for the next game to compensate. They're taking huge $100 million risks right now because they're on a tear and they have the bank from all the games they've sold. You can't expect a company like Crytek to take the same risks as Rockstar b/c Crytek may not even HAVE $100 million in the bank. What would be a 'setback' for Rockstar would probably be Bankruptcy for anyone else.
Bla bla bla bla bla. It's not like Rockstar won the lottery. Blizzard, Valve, DICE, etc... Are all those developers the exception too? Last time I checked exception meant minority.
Unless you're talking about indie studios? They are a category on their own.

Quote:
Maybe if PC gamers didn't pirate Crysis 1 at a 15:1 ratio then your prayers would be answered. They sold 3 million copies of Crysis 1. 1 million within the first quarter. So lets say $50 x 1 million, 2 million x $20 (avg) for a total of $90 million in sales. $90 mil - $25 mil for production costs and ASSUMING there were no failed side projects, debt to pay off or other issues, that's $65 million with which to not only build a new engine but make a game for 3 platforms when $25 mil was the cost for JUST PC.

Now if only 2 out of every 15 people that pirated the game bought it, they'd be at triple their original sales, which would mean they'd end up with some $245 million. That means they'd have money to experiment, money to add extra programmers and they'd be able to reduce EA's influence on the sequel. Then they'd cater to the PC gaming crowd first. However, through Crytek's own attempts with Crysis 1, they've proven that catering to the ultra high demands of the PC's elitist crowd doesn't net you any extra sales.
So your arguments are failing and you resort to the old piracy excuse. *Shocked *

Quote:
C'mon man, use some critical thinking before you respond to me. This is shallow drivel with no thought behind it.

Not only are you essentially contradicting yourself from earlier ( saying Crysis 2 is being too similar to other FPS but somehow advocating that other companies copy Rockstar ) but you're underestimating how many factors contribute to Rockstar's overall success. It's like saying ANYONE can make 5 star movies or music. Sandboxes with huge budgets are Rockstar's realm. You could hand almost any Dev $100 mil to make a GTA clone and it wouldn't come out as good as Rockstar's version, just like Pixar rules the CG kids movies that adults can relate to.
In your strawman I do contradict myself.
But I never said it should copy Rockstar. I'm saying be innovative like them. By your twisted logic, if I'm innovative, and someone else is innovative, then they are copying me?
And I didn't say being a sandbox is a requirement. I mentioned the list of FPS shooter who I consider innovative and only 1 was a sandbox.

And again, it's not like Rockstar has a magical genie that makes their games great. There is a REASON. Other devs have no excuse for not using that reason.
Lala
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-750 @ 3.00GHz Intel DP55WB Sapphire HD 5870 @ 950/1200 1.212V Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333.3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB WD Black, 1TB WD Green Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung P2370H Thermaltake ToughPower 750W 
Case
Thermaltake M9 Black 
  hide details  
Lala
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-750 @ 3.00GHz Intel DP55WB Sapphire HD 5870 @ 950/1200 1.212V Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333.3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB WD Black, 1TB WD Green Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung P2370H Thermaltake ToughPower 750W 
Case
Thermaltake M9 Black 
  hide details  
post #179 of 188
OP, why don't you use the ACTUAL title of the article:
Crysis 2 UK sales dominated by Xbox 360 version

Regardless, even if this single-poll is indicative of the worldwide sales, why is this surprising? Well, is it surprising? If you know that a dev makd a game clearly developed for consoles, don't be surprised if its sales are dominated by consoles rather than PC's.

It isn't like EA probably thought that sales would be dominated with PC purchases. They knew what they were doing from day 1.

And from what I can tell, it doesn't include electronic downloads from services like Steam. Given the huge userbase of Steam, if you ignore it in a tally, it's going to severely skew results of actual purchases.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
post #180 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Pat__ View Post
Yes it does actually. A shooter can afford to be linear (not recommended though) but an RPG cannot.
An RTS can afford not having great graphics, an FPS cannot, etc...
As for the things you mentioned, those are musts rather than cherry on top.
Red herring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by __Pat__ View Post
If I got a nickel every time you said tech nerd. Who made Crysis popular? Tech nerds. If it weren't for us, Crysis won't be a long forgotten name in the the of FPS market.
Crysis would have been popular with or without the tech nerds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by __Pat__ View Post
Crysis not a sandbox game? At the risk of sounding like Steve Jobs, you weren't playing it right
It's really not. There are SOME sandbox maps but it's not a true sandbox game. You can't go back and forth whenever you want and you can't just move from A to Z. There's a set path it takes you on. You aren't paying attention if you really think that its a true sandbox game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by __Pat__ View Post
But you know right?
I have a basic understanding of the concept of business and business management, yes. I'm able to be objective and think from both sides of the equation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by __Pat__ View Post
Bla bla bla bla bla. It's not like Rockstar won the lottery. Blizzard, Valve, DICE, etc... Are all those developers the exception too? Last time I checked exception meant minority.
Unless you're talking about indie studios? They are a category on their own.
In all those cases you've mentioned those are estabished companies that built up an empire to the point where a few bad games wouldn't break them. Crytek isn't there yet.

Blizzard was popular before pirating. Warcraft was a hit and they duplicated the idea with Starcraft. WoW gives them massive fistfuls of cash so they can afford to slow development until the game is perfect. Blizzard's claim to fame has always been polish, balance and gameplay.

Valve started off of the Quake engine and moved to their own using the sales from Half-Life. This was pre massive pirating. And while Half-Life 2 was a beautiful game, it wasn't 'bleeding edge'. The same engine was used in Episode 1 and 2, TF2, Portal, L4D 1 and 2. Valve running Steam means massive fistfuls of cash with which allows them to slow development until the game is perfect. Valve's focus has always been polish, balance and gameplay. Notice a trend?

Regarding DICE, i really can't comment because I haven't bought a single game of theirs but they've been around for quite some time ( 1992 ). Looking on Wiki, they seemed to have milked the HELL out of the Battlefield series. I've heard good things about Mirror's Edge but I know the sales were pretty poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by __Pat__ View Post
So your arguments are failing and you resort to the old piracy excuse. *Shocked *
I love how you waive off 2 pretty important paragraphs that explain Crytek's decisions in business terms as 'excuses'. It's plain to see then that you wear that PC fanboy hat too tightly. Learn to take it off and think objectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by __Pat__ View Post
And again, it's not like Rockstar has a magical genie that makes their games great. There is a REASON. Other devs have no excuse for not using that reason.
What does ANY artists have that makes them great at what they do? Not everything can be quantified in a simple concise checklist. Why are some musicians, actors, painters, sculptors or directors better than others? While you might be able to state what they do that's better, you're no closer to duplicating that action.

And regarding Rockstar specifically. What they do with sandbox games is an art, not to be duplicated. Financially, they take huge risks that others can't because they can afford to. They have more money in the bank than Crytek x10. If Crysis 2 fails, Crytek is bankrupt or in HEAVY debt. If Rockstar's next game fails, they'll just have a smaller bank account.
Edited by FuNkDrSpOt - 3/30/11 at 6:22am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [CVG]Crysis 2 sales dominated by Xbox 360 version