Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [BD] Another developer complains about $60 games
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[BD] Another developer complains about $60 games

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Last week the head of EA's free-to-play game division, Ben Cousins, was quoted as saying that the cost of $60 games was "exploitative". Now another game developer has come out with similar claims. Matthew Karch, the CEO of Saber Interactive, wrote an editorial for Computer and Video Games today stating, "I mean, you pay a few hundred dollars for a console (or more for a good PC) then $60 for a game - how many games can you afford in that price range?"

Karch's company recently released the game adaptation of the movie Battle: Los Angeles, a downloadable only first person shooter that costs just $10. He states, "There is going to be a move towards higher-end games that are smaller. There has to be, because even among the "hardcore" audience, only a small percentage of games are profitable, so making smaller games with lower budgets makes good sense."

Karch said that the Battle Los Angeles game took only six months to make and was entirely self-funded. He claims that "on a commercial level it seems to be working out thus far" although sales figures have not been revealed.

source
post #2 of 10
What these articles dont take into account is that there are usually websites that offer games for much cheaper than the full retail price. The way it works is people who are willing and able to pay $60 for a game that they want without emptying their wallet will usually do so. Then those of us who are only willing to spend a lesser amount can put a little more effort into finding a deal, and then buy the game for a lesser price. This is a well known tactic in the economic world. Basically game devs can sell the game at different price points with varying levels of convenience so that they can reach more customers, both rich and poor. Better to sell a digital item for cheaper rather than not sell it at all.

I bought Crysis 2 for $30 from one of those websites and I noticed battlefield 3 pre-orders were only $35.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K @ 4.5 GA-P67A-UD3-B3 EVGA 570 8GB Gskill 1600mhz 
Hard DrivePower
1.5TB CORSAIR 850TX 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K @ 4.5 GA-P67A-UD3-B3 EVGA 570 8GB Gskill 1600mhz 
Hard DrivePower
1.5TB CORSAIR 850TX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Karch's company recently released the game adaptation of the movie Battle: Los Angeles, a downloadable only first person shooter that costs just $10.
I've heard it can also be beaten in just 45 minutes or so. I wouldn't consider that any better than $60 a pop for what we're getting now.

I also don't trust publishers to lower prices these days. In all likelihood we'll be paying for that discount in even more terrible DLC than we have now.
post #4 of 10
Yeah with all the money one spends on games you could buy so much sweet stuff, like an SSD
Ice Wings
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K @ 4.5GHz Asus Sabertooth Z77 Asus Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 Samsung Green MV-3V4G3D/US 8GB 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHZ 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
OCZ Agility 3 240GB  Samsung F4 HD204UI Noctua NH-D14 Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus RoG Swift PG278Q Ducky One (DKON1687) MX Reds w/ PBT keycaps. SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold Fractal Design Define R4 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G303 Puretrak Talent  
  hide details  
Reply
Ice Wings
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K @ 4.5GHz Asus Sabertooth Z77 Asus Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 Samsung Green MV-3V4G3D/US 8GB 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHZ 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
OCZ Agility 3 240GB  Samsung F4 HD204UI Noctua NH-D14 Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus RoG Swift PG278Q Ducky One (DKON1687) MX Reds w/ PBT keycaps. SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold Fractal Design Define R4 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G303 Puretrak Talent  
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Overlord View Post
Yeah with all the money one spends on games you could buy so much sweet stuff, like an SSD
Which you will use to play games on!

OT: I don't buy any game at $60. I just can't afford it. I wait for Steam sales to buy games.
Lala
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-750 @ 3.00GHz Intel DP55WB Sapphire HD 5870 @ 950/1200 1.212V Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333.3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB WD Black, 1TB WD Green Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung P2370H Thermaltake ToughPower 750W 
Case
Thermaltake M9 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
Lala
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-750 @ 3.00GHz Intel DP55WB Sapphire HD 5870 @ 950/1200 1.212V Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333.3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB WD Black, 1TB WD Green Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung P2370H Thermaltake ToughPower 750W 
Case
Thermaltake M9 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby1 View Post
What these articles dont take into account is that there are usually websites that offer games for much cheaper than the full retail price. The way it works is people who are willing and able to pay $60 for a game that they want without emptying their wallet will usually do so. Then those of us who are only willing to spend a lesser amount can put a little more effort into finding a deal, and then buy the game for a lesser price. This is a well known tactic in the economic world. Basically game devs can sell the game at different price points with varying levels of convenience so that they can reach more customers, both rich and poor. Better to sell a digital item for cheaper rather than not sell it at all.

I bought Crysis 2 for $30 from one of those websites and I noticed battlefield 3 pre-orders were only $35.
Those dramatic discounts are due to buying foreign keys.
post #7 of 10
I hate paying that much for a game, the funny thing though is when most of us were kids playing SNES and N64 ALOT of those games were over $70 dollars.
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 8350 @4GHz GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ eVGA 980Ti SC+ w/ACX  8GB G.Skill DDR31600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 830 256GB WD 640GB Black Samsung F3 1TB ASUS BC-08B1ST BD-R/DVDRW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Swiftech H220-X w/Gentle Typhoon's Win7 Home Premium 64-bit HannsG 28" Widescreen LCD 1920x1200 ABS M1 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic X650 Modular CM690 II Basic Logitech G400s 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 8350 @4GHz GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ eVGA 980Ti SC+ w/ACX  8GB G.Skill DDR31600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 830 256GB WD 640GB Black Samsung F3 1TB ASUS BC-08B1ST BD-R/DVDRW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Swiftech H220-X w/Gentle Typhoon's Win7 Home Premium 64-bit HannsG 28" Widescreen LCD 1920x1200 ABS M1 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic X650 Modular CM690 II Basic Logitech G400s 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Pat__ View Post
I don't buy any game at $60. I just can't afford it. I wait for Steam sales to buy games.
Same for me for the most part. I wait on reviews and input from people on OCN before I buy almost all my games these days. The rare exceptions are things like Fallout 3 and New Vegas where I know there's 100+ hours of gaming time. When it's below or equal to one dollar per hour of gameplay then its worth it to me. Ah the days of Final Fantasy VII and Xenogears. So much play time for so little money by comparison.

Game prices do in general need to come down to about 39.99 or so and that should act as the cap. Unfortunately I doubt a lot of studios are going to do that when 59.99 has become to new norm...
Singularity
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700K ASUS Z170-Deluxe GTX 770 SLI 6 GB Corsair Dominator GT @ 1600 MHz 7-7-7-20 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair Force LX Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Windows 10 Home Premium 3 x ASUS VX279Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Gaming K95 RGB Corsair RM850i Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Corsair Sabre RGB 
  hide details  
Reply
Singularity
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700K ASUS Z170-Deluxe GTX 770 SLI 6 GB Corsair Dominator GT @ 1600 MHz 7-7-7-20 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair Force LX Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Windows 10 Home Premium 3 x ASUS VX279Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Gaming K95 RGB Corsair RM850i Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Corsair Sabre RGB 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampen View Post
Same for me for the most part. I wait on reviews and input from people on OCN before I buy almost all my games these days. The rare exceptions are things like Fallout 3 and New Vegas where I know there's 100+ hours of gaming time. When it's below or equal to one dollar per hour of gameplay then its worth it to me. Ah the days of Final Fantasy VII and Xenogears. So much play time for so little money by comparison.

Game prices do in general need to come down to about 39.99 or so and that should act as the cap. Unfortunately I doubt a lot of studios are going to do that when 59.99 has become to new norm...
Yeah there will always be a few games worth $60 if not more. Games like Starcraft 2 also come to mind
Lala
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-750 @ 3.00GHz Intel DP55WB Sapphire HD 5870 @ 950/1200 1.212V Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333.3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB WD Black, 1TB WD Green Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung P2370H Thermaltake ToughPower 750W 
Case
Thermaltake M9 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
Lala
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-750 @ 3.00GHz Intel DP55WB Sapphire HD 5870 @ 950/1200 1.212V Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333.3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB WD Black, 1TB WD Green Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung P2370H Thermaltake ToughPower 750W 
Case
Thermaltake M9 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamthebull View Post
I hate paying that much for a game, the funny thing though is when most of us were kids playing SNES and N64 ALOT of those games were over $70 dollars.
At that time there was a clearance of nes games. I sold my nes and the 15 games to a kid very cheap in 1994.
Last rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 4790K  Gigabyte Z97-D3 MSI 1080 Gaming X Corsair DDR3 1600 MHz 12 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 1 TB LG BD-RE BH10LS30 Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64-bit LG W2361V ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q Razer Blackwidow X Chroma 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Element ST 65EF Aero Cool GT Advanced Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Ednet xxxpad ProGamer 
Audio
Realtek AC888 
  hide details  
Reply
Last rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 4790K  Gigabyte Z97-D3 MSI 1080 Gaming X Corsair DDR3 1600 MHz 12 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 1 TB LG BD-RE BH10LS30 Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64-bit LG W2361V ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q Razer Blackwidow X Chroma 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Element ST 65EF Aero Cool GT Advanced Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Ednet xxxpad ProGamer 
Audio
Realtek AC888 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [BD] Another developer complains about $60 games