Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [VGHQ] Crysis 2 Textures Are 1/2 Size of Crysis 1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[VGHQ] Crysis 2 Textures Are 1/2 Size of Crysis 1 - Page 14

post #131 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest001 View Post
First of all, way to be a major asshat.

Game developers are all part of a business. Whats the #1 goal for a business? SALES. There have always been consoles around, think N64 and PS1. Why didn't those two platforms hinder PC development at the time? Because the PC was still a profitable platform. Why was it still profitable? Because everyone actually bought their games! There was no other means of getting them. I.e. Piracy.
Now I agree that piracy isn't AS BIG of a deal as they make it out to be, but you cannot argue that it isn't a problem at all. Sure, you could say "MAKE A GOOD GAME AND PEOPLE WILL BUY IT." but that argument doesn't hold. People still pirate valves games and they'll continue to pirate as long as it's so readily available. There are so many people on OCN who have openly admitted to pirating when the crysis 2 beta was leaked, it was preposterous. You would think that EVERYONE here who was a PC enthusiast would buy their games, right? To support the PC gaming industry? To give developers hope that maybe if they meet our standards we will give them all our money?

It doesn't happen. Our standards are too high. We want video games! But we don't want ports! but if we don't get a console exclusive we whine and ***** about it! but we want the latest and greatest! Our hardware is generations ahead of console hardware, we should have much better graphics! Give us something new! We liked it better the way it was before! NO DX11? IN A NEW VIDEO GAME?! HOW DARE THEY.

and you know how people combat this?
The geniuses in the PC gaming community?

PIRATE TO PROVE A POINT!
yeah, the only point you're trying to prove is that the PC gaming community could give a rats ass about any developers trying to do something new. So why should they care about us?

Yes, there are legitimate buyers. I'll admit, I WAS a pirate, before I had a job. But it didn't make much of a difference because I had no money, therefore they were never going to make money off of me anyway. but now that I have a job, I have to pick and chose the games I want to buy because I want to support the PC gaming community. Games are pretty damn expensive though. and the only one I regret buying is homefront. and thats why all games should have a demo.

THE END.
You are barking down the wrong tree. PC games are profitable. The problem comes with added graphics fidelity. Every higher res texture and life like face takes hours of work and programming (especially if it is a new engine). Also, manpower. Early games were developed with a few guys and little time. New releases are with hundreds of programmers and years of work. That cost >>>> than it ever has before.

If they make a product, they NEED to get it to the largest audience possible in order to recoup their money and make a profit (hence why Crysis is on Xbox and PS). Reducing the number of programmers and programming hours is another way. This was done by "making a horrible console port"

If a company does not do this, they will go bankrupt and then you will get nothing from them. Even in your pissed off state, you must realized that Crysis 2 is still better than never having a sequel.
I Shoot to Maim
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k @ 4.5Ghz Gigabyte GA-Z170X Gaming 7 EVGA GTX 1080 SC ACX 3.0 Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
480GB Sandisk Extreme Pro 2TB WD Black 7200RPM Blu-Ray Reader/Burner NZXT Kraken x61 Watercooler 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Window 10 Dell S2716DGR + Qnix 1440p @ 96Hz + Asus 27" 1080p Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mechanical EVGA GQ 850 watt 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Carbide 500R Anker 8200DPI SteelSeries QcK Gaming  Logitech Z623 
  hide details  
Reply
I Shoot to Maim
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k @ 4.5Ghz Gigabyte GA-Z170X Gaming 7 EVGA GTX 1080 SC ACX 3.0 Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
480GB Sandisk Extreme Pro 2TB WD Black 7200RPM Blu-Ray Reader/Burner NZXT Kraken x61 Watercooler 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Window 10 Dell S2716DGR + Qnix 1440p @ 96Hz + Asus 27" 1080p Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mechanical EVGA GQ 850 watt 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Carbide 500R Anker 8200DPI SteelSeries QcK Gaming  Logitech Z623 
  hide details  
Reply
post #132 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullmetalaj0 View Post
You all want to know what the real sad part about this is?
While were all on here butthurt like hell about this crappy console port, all my Xbox 360 buddies are having the time of their lives playing this.

They actually said to me "I didnt think games could look this good.."
Needless to say im taking some PNG screenshots of crysis 1 to send them, but they prolly wont believe that its a game...dirty console peasants..
Crytek wins then. They created Crysis 1 to be the most graphically intensive game. They did the same for Crysis 2. The difference is that Crysis 1 that was for PC and Crysis 2 that was for Console. They quickly realized that 70% of gamers play on console and 95% play on console or a mid end PC
I Shoot to Maim
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k @ 4.5Ghz Gigabyte GA-Z170X Gaming 7 EVGA GTX 1080 SC ACX 3.0 Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
480GB Sandisk Extreme Pro 2TB WD Black 7200RPM Blu-Ray Reader/Burner NZXT Kraken x61 Watercooler 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Window 10 Dell S2716DGR + Qnix 1440p @ 96Hz + Asus 27" 1080p Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mechanical EVGA GQ 850 watt 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Carbide 500R Anker 8200DPI SteelSeries QcK Gaming  Logitech Z623 
  hide details  
Reply
I Shoot to Maim
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k @ 4.5Ghz Gigabyte GA-Z170X Gaming 7 EVGA GTX 1080 SC ACX 3.0 Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
480GB Sandisk Extreme Pro 2TB WD Black 7200RPM Blu-Ray Reader/Burner NZXT Kraken x61 Watercooler 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Window 10 Dell S2716DGR + Qnix 1440p @ 96Hz + Asus 27" 1080p Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mechanical EVGA GQ 850 watt 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Carbide 500R Anker 8200DPI SteelSeries QcK Gaming  Logitech Z623 
  hide details  
Reply
post #133 of 179
Nobody here is denying that what Crytek did made business sense.
There is however, a massive difference between understanding something and being happy about it.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-920 Msi Pro-e GTX 580 6GB 
OSPowerCaseMouse
W7 x64 Corsair TX750 Antec 300 Logitech OEM FTW 
Mouse Pad
wat? 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-920 Msi Pro-e GTX 580 6GB 
OSPowerCaseMouse
W7 x64 Corsair TX750 Antec 300 Logitech OEM FTW 
Mouse Pad
wat? 
  hide details  
Reply
post #134 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3lancer2006 View Post
Why does everyone on this forum consider all Console gamers to be below the age of 18?
Yeah that's not very accurate. I know at least two middle-aged computer-illiterate consolepeasants.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-920 Msi Pro-e GTX 580 6GB 
OSPowerCaseMouse
W7 x64 Corsair TX750 Antec 300 Logitech OEM FTW 
Mouse Pad
wat? 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-920 Msi Pro-e GTX 580 6GB 
OSPowerCaseMouse
W7 x64 Corsair TX750 Antec 300 Logitech OEM FTW 
Mouse Pad
wat? 
  hide details  
Reply
post #135 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bucket View Post
Nobody here is denying that what Crytek did made business sense.
There is however, a massive difference between understanding something and being happy about it.
QFT

No seriously guys, we are not stupid. I perfectly understand Crytek's decision to neglect PC. However that doesn't mean I'll approve it.

Because it's more profitable for Crytek it's suddenly normal to get a console port when they promised us a true PC game? I don't think so.
post #136 of 179
Will a crysis2 graphics mod be out any time soon?
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #137 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3lancer2006 View Post
Why does everyone on this forum consider all Console gamers to be below the age of 18?
Because they are? Consoles are slowing down the developement, ofc englightened people hates them.
AiryBox
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3770k Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X Corsair Vengeance 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Hitachi Desktar 7200RPM 1TB Samsung 830 128GB Corsair H100i W10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ 24" Qpad Mk-50 Cherry MX Red CM V700 NZXT H440 
  hide details  
Reply
AiryBox
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3770k Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X Corsair Vengeance 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Hitachi Desktar 7200RPM 1TB Samsung 830 128GB Corsair H100i W10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ 24" Qpad Mk-50 Cherry MX Red CM V700 NZXT H440 
  hide details  
Reply
post #138 of 179
crysis 2 fail.......
Hamber Brige
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K Asus P8P67 Pro MSI GTX 570 G.SKILL Ripjaws 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD Black too expansive can't afford Windows 7 Pro too expansive can't afford 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
too expansive can't afford Corsair AX850 NZXT Phantom Alienware TactX 
  hide details  
Reply
Hamber Brige
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K Asus P8P67 Pro MSI GTX 570 G.SKILL Ripjaws 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD Black too expansive can't afford Windows 7 Pro too expansive can't afford 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
too expansive can't afford Corsair AX850 NZXT Phantom Alienware TactX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #139 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabiscuit68 View Post
And then Crytek realizes "wait, there are more soccer moms and kids than PC Elitists? Oh snap. And wait...the soccer moms and kids will pay for our game? Why the $#@# didn't we do this the first time."

Result: Profit

Where you fail: Understanding Business

You would rather a company spend excessive amounts of money to satisfy 1% of the gaming community and ostracize 99%. Maybe learn what it takes to run a company before you start whining. Sure they lied to you. But guess what, you bought the game. You got owned. And now you won't buy the next one. Heaven forbid Crytek loses 1% of sales and gains 99% because they made the best looking game on consoles AND it's fun - guaranteeing continued sequels and success.

You all fail to realize that Crytek used Crysis 1 to make a name and Crysis 2 to expand and cement that name...
Where in Martha Stewart's vagina did you pull this nonsense out of?

1) I didn't buy the game.
2) I never said they should 'ostracize' the console market. In an ideal world, Crytek should've satisfied ALL markets, not just the console ones.
3) I'm not whining, and I even mentioned the game was fun.
4) You paid $1000+ for a PC to play a games designed to run on seven year-old hardware. Who got owned again?
5) Stop drinking your own urine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest001 View Post
First of all, way to be a major asshat.

Game developers are all part of a business. Whats the #1 goal for a business? SALES. There have always been consoles around, think N64 and PS1. Why didn't those two platforms hinder PC development at the time? Because the PC was still a profitable platform. Why was it still profitable? Because everyone actually bought their games! There was no other means of getting them. I.e. Piracy.
Now I agree that piracy isn't AS BIG of a deal as they make it out to be, but you cannot argue that it isn't a problem at all. Sure, you could say "MAKE A GOOD GAME AND PEOPLE WILL BUY IT." but that argument doesn't hold. People still pirate valves games and they'll continue to pirate as long as it's so readily available. There are so many people on OCN who have openly admitted to pirating when the crysis 2 beta was leaked, it was preposterous. You would think that EVERYONE here who was a PC enthusiast would buy their games, right? To support the PC gaming industry? To give developers hope that maybe if they meet our standards we will give them all our money?

It doesn't happen. Our standards are too high. We want video games! But we don't want ports! but if we don't get a console exclusive we whine and ***** about it! but we want the latest and greatest! Our hardware is generations ahead of console hardware, we should have much better graphics! Give us something new! We liked it better the way it was before! NO DX11? IN A NEW VIDEO GAME?! HOW DARE THEY.

and you know how people combat this?
The geniuses in the PC gaming community?

PIRATE TO PROVE A POINT!
yeah, the only point you're trying to prove is that the PC gaming community could give a rats ass about any developers trying to do something new. So why should they care about us?

Yes, there are legitimate buyers. I'll admit, I WAS a pirate, before I had a job. But it didn't make much of a difference because I had no money, therefore they were never going to make money off of me anyway. but now that I have a job, I have to pick and chose the games I want to buy because I want to support the PC gaming community. Games are pretty damn expensive though. and the only one I regret buying is homefront. and thats why all games should have a demo.

THE END.
You two seem to misunderstand the concept of business. Business doesn't mean you're ONLY out to make profit. If you continue to release crappy products, no one will buy them. Flawed logic is flawed.

If you consider that Valve, id, and Blizzard, to name a few, have outstanding products and significantly more profitable buyer to pirate ratio, you'll realize where your argument fails. Pirating is just an excuse developers give you as a reasoning to why their PC games are always crap; and guess what? You swallowed that load straight up. Blizzard did it with WoW, SC2, Valve did it with Half-Life/2/OF/BS, etc. etc. There is absolutely NO reason, beyond greed, as to why Crytek skimped out with Crysis 2.

Oh, and one more thing, piracy has ALWAYS been around. Do know how easy it was to burn a copy of a game back in the late '90/early '00s? You think sales weren't hurt by people that rented PC games and then burned them? and even so, did you ever hear about a known developer wince and whine about it? No, they went on making great games, and continued to make them and continued to profit greatly by making great games.
Edited by Primus - 3/29/11 at 12:19pm
Bill Cosby
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz/1.5v ASUS M4A88T-V EVO EVGA GTX 460 SE 1GB 940/1880/2050 8GB Corsair DDR3 1333MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD 160GB 7200 RPM Windows 7 x64 ACER AL2016W OCZ StealthXtreme 700W 
CaseMouse
Rosewill Destroyer Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
Bill Cosby
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz/1.5v ASUS M4A88T-V EVO EVGA GTX 460 SE 1GB 940/1880/2050 8GB Corsair DDR3 1333MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD 160GB 7200 RPM Windows 7 x64 ACER AL2016W OCZ StealthXtreme 700W 
CaseMouse
Rosewill Destroyer Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
post #140 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordikon View Post
I don't see why Crytek had to do it this way for PC, all they had to do was ship with higher-res textures (which they likely had while producing the content anyway). Regardless, the game looks great even with the lower quality. Yes I prefer things to look as good as possible, but graphics are a much lower priority than gameplay, and the game turned out to be pretty fun (haven't tried MP yet).
Unfortunately I get the feeling you and I are in the minority on that opinion amongst us PC gamers.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon L5640 Asus X58 Sabertooth MSI 560Ti 448 Twin Frozr III PE Samsung Green Power LP DDR3 1600  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Western Digital Velociraptor Samsung F1 1TB Corsair H70 CPU Cooling 3xCougar CF-V14H 140mm Case Fans 
CoolingMonitorKeyboardPower
3x Cougar CF-V12H 120mm Case Fans Dell S2440M 21.5" 1080P  Rosewill Mechanical RK-9000BRI Corsair HX750 
CaseMouse
Xigmatek Asgard Logitech M570 Trackball 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon L5640 Asus X58 Sabertooth MSI 560Ti 448 Twin Frozr III PE Samsung Green Power LP DDR3 1600  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Western Digital Velociraptor Samsung F1 1TB Corsair H70 CPU Cooling 3xCougar CF-V14H 140mm Case Fans 
CoolingMonitorKeyboardPower
3x Cougar CF-V12H 120mm Case Fans Dell S2440M 21.5" 1080P  Rosewill Mechanical RK-9000BRI Corsair HX750 
CaseMouse
Xigmatek Asgard Logitech M570 Trackball 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [VGHQ] Crysis 2 Textures Are 1/2 Size of Crysis 1