Overclock.net › Forums › Overclockers Care › Overclock.net Folding@Home Team › Folding@Home Guides and Tutorials › [Windows 7/8] Complete Client v7.3.6 Guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Windows 7/8] Complete Client v7.3.6 Guide - Page 73

post #721 of 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther Al View Post

Looking at getting into this, and since I see a lot about AMD, how would a pair of Titans work out? The process looks simple enough - at least till I try it knowing me - so I'll guess I'll find out, but I admit to being curious what a 3820 and SLI'd Titans can get me....

From what I've seen, it performs just ahead of a 780 in games, but it blows every other card away for computations. The computation power of a Titan is insane... You would be looking at a massive amount of WUs completed in a short time with a massive PPD payout.
Primary
(18 items)
 
Secondary
(9 items)
 
Tertiary
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8350 ASUS Sabertooth 990FX EVGA 560TI ADATA 4x2GB 1600C9 1.65V-1.5V 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Some 2.5in 1TB drive Stock Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit Corsair TX850 
Case
Cooler Master HAF 
CPUMotherboardRAMOptical Drive
i7-960 Gigabyte X58 ADATA 2x2GB 1600C9 1.65V-1.5V Generic DVD 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Asetek 510LC Linux with pfSense in VM Some generic 1280x1024 Generic 
CaseMouse
Corsair Carbide 400R Generic 
  hide details  
Reply
Primary
(18 items)
 
Secondary
(9 items)
 
Tertiary
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8350 ASUS Sabertooth 990FX EVGA 560TI ADATA 4x2GB 1600C9 1.65V-1.5V 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Some 2.5in 1TB drive Stock Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit Corsair TX850 
Case
Cooler Master HAF 
CPUMotherboardRAMOptical Drive
i7-960 Gigabyte X58 ADATA 2x2GB 1600C9 1.65V-1.5V Generic DVD 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Asetek 510LC Linux with pfSense in VM Some generic 1280x1024 Generic 
CaseMouse
Corsair Carbide 400R Generic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #722 of 745
Hi All,

After folding off an on for the last 4 years I have decided to get into it again and join the Overclocker's team. My gaming rig (which I assembled by lurking on this board over the last 2 years) has a i5 2500k processor and an AMD 6700 Series card. I'm getting only about about 11k PPD right now (same as a previous poster) and am wondering if I need to a) buy a better card or b) just tweak some settings.

I have followed this checklist
- if your account is set up incorrectly with the account name, folding team and pass key you won't get the QRB (quick return bonus)
- assuming the account is set up correctly you will need to complete 10 work units on your passkey to start getting the bonus

The CPU is getting about 6K PPD and the GPU 5.8K

I can't seem to find a benchmark to see if I can handle x17 Wu's or not, or find any information on whether or not I am using all the cores on my CPU. I remember back in the day utilizing the SMP client to accomplish this, however it seems that has been removed in the most recent folding client.

Any help would be appreciated!
post #723 of 745
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogann View Post

Hi All,

After folding off an on for the last 4 years I have decided to get into it again and join the Overclocker's team. My gaming rig (which I assembled by lurking on this board over the last 2 years) has a i5 2500k processor and an AMD 6700 Series card. I'm getting only about about 11k PPD right now (same as a previous poster) and am wondering if I need to a) buy a better card or b) just tweak some settings.

I have followed this checklist
- if your account is set up incorrectly with the account name, folding team and pass key you won't get the QRB (quick return bonus)
- assuming the account is set up correctly you will need to complete 10 work units on your passkey to start getting the bonus

The CPU is getting about 6K PPD and the GPU 5.8K

I can't seem to find a benchmark to see if I can handle x17 Wu's or not, or find any information on whether or not I am using all the cores on my CPU. I remember back in the day utilizing the SMP client to accomplish this, however it seems that has been removed in the most recent folding client.

Any help would be appreciated!

 

First, Welcome to the team.  Great to have you on board.

 

It sounds like you have the passkey situated, and the v7 client installed.

 

The CPU should be capable of more if you weren't folding on the 6xxx series AMD GPU.  Unfortunately they aren't really the best for folding, at all.  They will do core 17 IIRC, but the PPD gains aren't like on the 7xxx series by no means. 

 

AMD GPUs on Core16 require a bit of CPU to fold, so typically what people will do is drop a core from their SMP, I think you could fold 3 cores on the 2500k, and the 6xxx series GPU.  Another fun bit with folding on the AMD 5xxx, and 6xxx series on core 16 is that the newer drivers don't work correctly.  Check your GPU utilization, if you see low utilization that is also effecting your PPD on the GPU.  Although ~6k PPD sounds about right for a 6700 series card, depending on which one you have.

 

If you did want to look at a newer GPU, with the prices dropping so much on the 79xx series, one of those would offer nice PPD / $$.  I just picked up a used 7970, and without overvolting it I was seeing ~100k PPD on a p890 core 17 WU.  If those still aren't in your price range I've seen Pitcairn users (7800 series) reporting numbers around 60k+ PPD.

post #724 of 745
Well, installed and running, using the OCN team number and a passkey. We shall see what happens, both GPU's and the CPU going at it. smile.gif
post #725 of 745
Thanks - it really sounds like the 67xx is what is holding me back right now and looking at Amazon the 7970 is in the perfect price range to add to the rig. I knew I probably had to update some areas smile.gif

Quick Question about this
Quote:
Originally Posted by anubis1127 View Post


AMD GPUs on Core16 require a bit of CPU to fold, so typically what people will do is drop a core from their SMP, I think you could fold 3 cores on the 2500k, and the 6xxx series GPU.  Another fun bit with folding on the AMD 5xxx, and 6xxx series on core 16 is that the newer drivers don't work correctly.  Check your GPU utilization, if you see low utilization that is also effecting your PPD on the GPU.  Although ~6k PPD sounds about right for a 6700 series card, depending on which one you have.

Where can I change these settings? I can't find any information for a SMP client in 7.3.6. The fields are only CPU and GPU. However I see that the guide does show it in previous version.



Thanks
post #726 of 745
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther Al View Post

Well, installed and running, using the OCN team number and a passkey. We shall see what happens, both GPU's and the CPU going at it. smile.gif

Nice.  If you added the client-type advanced flag you should be all set.  Also, if you are on Core 17 WUs on the GPU, p8900, p7810, p7811, on NV GPUs it takes a bit of CPU power, so to get the optimum PPD out of your Titans you would have to drop a core, like I recommended to Hogann on his AMD 6xxx series.  Ex, on my 3930k I'll fold 10 threads instead of 12, when folding my 780.  (If I fold my CPU, I rarely do).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogann View Post

Thanks - it really sounds like the 67xx is what is holding me back right now and looking at Amazon the 7970 is in the perfect price range to add to the rig. I knew I probably had to update some areas smile.gif

Quick Question about this
Where can I change these settings? I can't find any information for a SMP client in 7.3.6. The fields are only CPU and GPU. However I see that the guide does show it in previous version.



Thanks

Its the CPUs section in the pic above, sorry about that.  SMP is Symmetric multiprocessing, so multi-core CPUs basically.  You could set that value to 2, or possibly 3.  Three may be a bit odd, typically I go in multiples of two because HT.

 

Another nice benefit of AMD 7xxx GPUs and Core 17 is that you no longer need to drop a core when folding on the GPU, the amount of CPU cycles needed is negligible.


Edited by anubis1127 - 8/10/13 at 5:51pm
post #727 of 745
How can I tell if I am running Core 17 WU's?
post #728 of 745
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther Al View Post

How can I tell if I am running Core 17 WU's?


Open the 'Advanced Control' (right-click sys tray icon), then it's right here:

 

FahCore 0x17

 

[edit]

If you don't see that, then you can add the 'advanced' client-type flag in the "Extra Slot Options" on your GPU slots.  To get there from 'Advanced Control' its Configure -> Slots tab -> highlight GPU slot(s) -> edit:

 

 

That's an old SS, but 'beta' still works, I just recommend advanced now that the work units have went from beta to advanced.  Technically beta is for the Stanford beta testers.


Edited by anubis1127 - 8/10/13 at 6:13pm
post #729 of 745
Answer then is no... 0x15 Guess I missed something somewhere. Knew it wouldn't be so easy.


*edit* Fixed WU ID
Edited by Panther Al - 8/10/13 at 6:16pm
post #730 of 745
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther Al View Post

Answer then is no... 0xa4 Guess I missed something soimewhere. Knew it wouldn't be so easy.


0xa4 is your CPU.  Post a screen shot of your 'Advanced Control' if you can.  You may need to either highlight the GPU slot to see it, or add GPU slots if you don't have them.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Overclock.net › Forums › Overclockers Care › Overclock.net Folding@Home Team › Folding@Home Guides and Tutorials › [Windows 7/8] Complete Client v7.3.6 Guide