Overclock.net banner

[Windows 7/8] Complete Client v7.3.6 Guide

82K views 744 replies 162 participants last post by  KSIMP88 
#1 ·
Table of Contents:

Post 1 - Introduction and set up
Post 2 - Setting up HFM to monitor your client

Post 3 - Adding/Removing Folding slots

Post 4 - Additional client configurations ("flags")

WIP:

Post 5 - Connecting multiple rigs to one client
Post 6 - Configuring separate passkeys for individual slots

Post 7 - Understanding Client v7 (for experienced users only)

This guide will outline the steps required to set up the Unified Client for Folding@Home, to configure it to Fold for Team OCN using your CPU and GPU(s), and to track it all using the monitoring program HFM.

For multicore CPU Folders, be aware that SMP WUs have bonus points, with more bonus points the faster you finish the WU. However, the bonuses only come into effect after you have completed 10 SMP WUs. Again, you will need to submit 10 SMP WUs before you begin getting bonus points.

What you'll need to begin:

1) The Windows Folding Client v7; Select v7.3.6.
(Direct Link)

2) HFM.NET; under "Featured Downloads".
(Direct Link)

3) An AMD GPU, with Catalyst v11.1+. Or a CUDA supported nVidia GPU (list here), with 266.xx drivers or newer.

4) A Folding passkey from Stanford. You can request one from here.

passkeyrequest.jpg

Client Setup:

1) Run the install file for the Folding client, Click Next, then 'I Agree' to begin the installation. When prompted, choose "Custom install".

I leave this on 'Install just for me', but choose whichever option you would like:

Now, install the client to the default location (Or specify your own location if you prefer to install it to a non-OS drive):

For the next screen, leave all settings on the "Recommended" options.

And then Finish.

2) Next, your web browser should open to the F@H client initial configuration. Click 'Configure Identity', then enter:

• Donor: [Your Folding Name] (Check here to see if your preferred name is in use.)
• Team: 37726
• Passkey: [The passkey you requested earlier]

Click Save, and the client will start folding on 'Medium Power'.

You should see something similar to this:

That is the 'Web Control' interface, you should also see a F@H system tray icon.

As I mentioned by default the client initially starts at Medium Power, here is an explanation of the Power Slider in the Web Control:

The slider has six preset positions:

OffFolding is disabled
Idle lightFolding will proceed at a reduced speed only when your computer becomes idle.
IdleSimilar to Idle Light, but tries to get the maximum productivity from your computer only when you are away.
LightFolding proceeds at a reduced speed at all times, but productivity and system utilization increases when you are away.
MediumMuch more productive than Light. This setting is recommended for most users.
FullContribute as much as possible. This setting may cause some machines to get hot or the fan to run very hard. If this is a problem simply move this slider to a lower setting.

Now I always use 'Full' because I like my GPUs to fold primarily. To me the 'Web Control' isn't very useful, and I prefer the 'Advanced Control'.

To open 'Advanced Control' right-click the F@H System Tray icon, and select 'Advanced Control'.

You should see something like this:

Go ahead, and move the slider to Full to fold on the GPUs as well as the CPUs full time if you like. If you want to remove the CPU, and just fold on GPUs, in 'Advanced Control' click 'Configure' -> slots tab -> Highlight the CPU slot, and click 'Remove', then save.

See less See more
#2 ·
Prerequisites:

Windows 7/8 (although it would probably be the same for XP / Server I just haven't tried them)

F@H v7 client (version v7.3.6 or older)

HFM.net

.NET Framework 4 (requirement for HFM.net)

FTP/website (optional)

Step One:

Install HFM.net - I typically download the .MSI installer, and just install it to the default location. You can choose to install it however you would like, but once you are done, open it, and you should see something like this:

Step Two:

Configure your HFM.

From the Menu click 'Clients' then 'Add Client (v7)':

Add your v7 client information. In this example I am going to assume the v7 client is running on the same PC as the HFM installation:

You could use 'localhost' for the Address as well if HFM, and v7 are on the same rig. If they are not, but on the same network, then you can add the IP address of the PC with F@H on it. You will have to configure that F@H client to allow Remote Access, which I won't be getting into here.

You can click Test Connection, it should pass, then click OK, and you have:

Ok, now lets put our own information in the preferences. From the Menu click 'Edit' -> 'Preferences', then click the 'Web Settings' tab and replace harlem357's info with yours:

Now click to save.

Now you should have HFM running locally, and estimating your PPD values.

Go ahead and save that, File -> Save Configuration, you can name, and store it wherever, I just leave it in Documents and name it hfm. Lets set HFM to open that configuration upon load, Edit -> Preferences -> Startup & External tab, check 'Load Configuration File' and browse to where you just saved it:

If this is your first installation of HFM, you'll also need to update the projects file. Go to Tools> Download Projects From Stanford:

9.png

Optional, add more PCs to your HFM:

If you have more than one PC on your network folding, you can also monitor that in HFM. The first thing you will need to do is setup the F@H client to allow 'Remote Access'.

On the remote PC (One not running HFM)

Open up 'Advanced Control' -> Configure -> Remote Access tab.

Add a password, then allow the IP address of the PC running HFM. I have my router configured to use DHCP, so I just allow the entire subnet. You can manually specify a range of IPs too, ex 192.168.0.100-192.168.0.150, or whatever.

Click Save. At that point you must FULLY exit the folding client, and restart it for the new settings to take effect, so right-click the F@H system tray icon, and exit. You can't just exit F@HControl. If you are running F@H as a service, then restart the service.

Then go back to your PC with HFM running, and add another client, just like the first one, but specify the IP address of your remote machine, and the password you setup in the step above.

Click test if you want, or OK, and you should see a second client added:

Optional, FTP settings:

In case you don't want to use dropbox, and have a FTP server/webspace to use. Basically the setup is the same as above, but instead of generating files locally to a dropbox folder using the "Local Path", choose the "FTP Server" option.

Here is an example using my HFM FTP settings:

The target path should be the folder you create on the FTP server for your HFM files, I named mine "folding".

------------------------

Seeing 0 PPD??

If you notice a WU that doesn't have a PPD estimate in HFM, that means your project summary list needs to be updated.

After that click Edit -> Preferences, then 'Web Settings'

Change psummary.html to psummaryC.html

Then Download Projects from Stanford again.

If you want to configure HFM with dropbox, I have another guide here.

• Rep+
Reactions: emoga
#3 ·
This information is taken from F@H Client v7.1.52, the screenshots are a bit outdated, but the general idea is the same.

Adding a Folding slot:

1) If you initially only set up one CPU or one GPU and want to add the other to your client, first you need to switch from "Novice" mode to "Expert" mode:

14.png

You now have access to a lot more information. For now, ignore that and we'll add a GPU slot.

2) Click the "Configure" button in the top left of the client. Then go to the "Slots" tab. Now, you can add an additional client. Assuming you set up with the SMP client initially, you can now add as many GPUs as you have available.

15.png

16.png

3) Click the "Add" button, and you are brought to a screen where you can add further clients. For the GPU, simply select the "GPU Index" box.

If you have multiple GPUs, you can either manually set the GPU to ID 1, 2, etc. However, for ease, you can leave it at -1, and the client will figure it out itself. Click "OK" to add the client.
For now, ignore the other sections.

17.png

4) Repeat this for however many GPUs you have.

Removing a Folding slot:

1) If you accidentally set up too many clients initially (or want to get rid of one for another reason), the sets are as follows. As above, switch to "Expert" mode, and go to Configure> Slots.

2) Highlight the slot you wish to remove (in this case, I'm removing the GPU slot), and click on "Remove". Then simply click "Save", and you're done.

20.png

Now that you've configured your Folding slots, you can leave the client on "Expert Mode" (which has more info), or switch it back to "Novice Mode" (which looks a bit sleeker).
wink.gif

Here are examples of both for reference:

19.png 18.png

#4 ·
This information is taken from F@H Client v7.1.52, the screenshots are a bit outdated, but the general idea is the same.

Additional client configuration ("flags"):

This section will cover both how to add flags, and a list of available options (at the bottom of this post).

1) First we change from "Novice" to "Expert" Mode. Simply click the drop down arrow next to "Novice" and choose "Expert".

1.png

2) Click on the "Configure" button and go to the "Slots" tab. Highlight the slot slot you would like to add the flag to, and click the "Edit" button.

2.png

3.png

3) At the bottom, under "Extra slot options (expert only)", click "Add".

4.png

4) Enter the flag and its value. For example:

Name: client-type
Value: advanced

5.png

Here is the full list of available flags for the v7 client:

Common flags

Allows access to beta WUs

Value: advanced

Allows access to bigadv WUs (if your system is eligible)

Value: bigadv

Changes the detail level of the slot log (it is recommended not to change this unless asked)

Name: verbosity

Value: x

Pauses the slot after 'x' WUs have been completed (0 means unlimited)

Name: max-units

When the current WU hits 'x'%, the client will begin downloading the next WU (x should be between 90 & 100)

Name: next-unit-percentage

Sets a passkeys for a specific slot (can be different to the passkey entered in the "Identity" tab)

Name: passkey

Value: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (32 characters)

Uncommon flags

Creates a checkpoint every 'x' minutes (per slot, not client)

Name: checkpoint

Sets the priority of the FahCore_xx to idle or low

Name: core-priority

Value: idle or low

Folding slots will be paused when the client opens; you will need to start them manually

Name: pause-on-start

Value: true or false

Configure the slot to only download WUs of small (~5MB), medium (~10MB) or large (up to 500MB) WUs

Name: max-packet-size

Value: small or normal or big

#5 ·
Multiple Passkeys

This section is primarily for the Team Competition Folders, but anyone who wishes to use more than one passkey will benefit from this guide.

1) Switch to "Advanced" or "Expert" mode, and then click the "Configure" button and go to the "Slots" tab.

Now, highlight the slot you'd like to add a different passkey to, and click "Edit".

78485437.png

2) At the bottom, under "Extra slot options (expert only)", click "Add". Enter the following:

Value: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (32 characters)

67056582.png

3) Thank me by sending me cookies.

#6 ·
Connecting multiple machines:

The new client also gives you the option to connect other machines to each client. You will then be able to monitor each computer's client, as well as having basic client options, such as pausing/restarting one of the slots.

NOTE: I am assuming both computers are on the same network. "Remote" remoting connecting clients would use the same principles though.

1) Make sure both computers you want to connect have the client installed. Switch your clients to "Expert" mode.

2) On the main computer, on the left "Clients" panel, click "Add" at the bottom.

53850664.png

3) Enter the name you wish to call the client, the IP address, the port number (you can leave 36330 as default), and the password (choose your own).

25051332.png

To get the IP address of the computer you wish to monitor, go to the secondary computer and open command prompt. Type "ipconfig", then find the following line:

77101961.png

4) You should now have two clients in your Clients list, and you can monitor them both as if they're local. Simply rightclick the specific client slot (not the client itself) and then you can choose from one of the options there.

32094987.png

I don't believe monitoring remote clients creates a new log folder, so if you're using HFM/Fahmon, you will need to connect them (if on the same network), or use a hosting site as usual to monitor them too.

#7 ·
Understanding the client:

This section is for experienced Folders only. Much of the information here is not needed if you just wish to run the client.

So, you've added slots for all your CPUs and GPUs. Now, assuming you've kept "Expert" mode on, this is what you see before you:

26350279.png

So, we'll split it up into 4 parts:

92812523.png

62909576.png
Clicking this button will bring you to the advanced settings options, with the following tabs:
97231580.png

Here you can change the client name, IP address, port, and the password used to start the client. This will be explained further in the "Clients List" section below.
30242697.png

This tab is used to change your Folding@home username, team number, and passkey used.
27844505.png

Here it lists all client slots you have running; all SMP, Unicore or GPU clients. You can also press the "Edit" button, and change some of the settings, such as changing the number of cores the SMP client uses (beware; doing this mid-WU will cause the WU to reset).

List of possible flags.
30916684.png

This section allows you to secure remote accessing of your clients. You can set a password, a port to use, as well as allow/deny IP addresses.
35508288.png

This tab is rather similar to the old "Advanced" tab for the GPU/Unicore clients. It's pretty straightforward; you can change the priority and CPU usage of the FahCore_xx.exe file. You can also edit the "Checkpointing frequency", saves a checkpoint of the WU periodically.

For the "Optimizations" setting, you can ignore the first option, unless you have an old, old CPU. For semi-modern CPUs, there's no issue with the instructions. You can also ignore the "CPU affinity locking" option. Since you can't specify which core you're locking the core to, it's better to use another program instead.

The "Power" option gives you the choice of pauing the client when Folding on a laptop not connected to a power supply, to preserve battery life.

"Verbosity" specifies the detail in the log; 1 is basic info, 5 is full detail. It is set to 3 by default.
18117506.png

The final tab allows you to add additional commands to your clients. Since most commands are added by default (such as the old "-smp", "-forcegpu", "-gpu x", "-verbosity x" flags), you probably won't need to use this section too often.
wink.gif

82069880.png
59569453.png

Here, you have rather basic client settings.

Startup & Shutdown. Whether you want the client to start up minimised, and whether you want the client to quite when closed (by default, it minimises when closed, and you must quit from the systray).

Local Client. Whether you want the client to start when you log in, and what command to use.

Visualization. What command to use for the viewer, whether it's fullscreen or not, and the resolution to use, as well as which style of visualisation to use.

I have yet to determine whether the viewer hurts the client as the old one did.

80273564.png
Options to change the client status.

Fold. Continue Folding if the client has been paused.

Pause. Pause all client slots.

Finish. Pause all client slots after they finish their current WU. Similar to the -pause and -oneunit flags of the old clients.

These options affect all client slots. To change just one of the clients, rightclick it and choose the option.

34821193.png
The button to open the Folding viewer:

46874871.png

Options for the viewer can be found by going through the "Preferences" options (outlined above).

By default, the viewer will show the visualisation (and WU information) for the first slot in the client. If you wish to see info and visualisations from one of your other slots, highlight the preferred slot.

Again, I have yet to determine whether the viewer hurts the client as the old one did.

81279001.png
What it says, really.

"Hide" will minimise the client to the system tray, while "Quit" will close the client completely.
97076163.png

A list of all clients being monitored. The local client is the only one there by default, though you can add more clients (outlined in post 4).
49155163.png

75231804.png

This section of the client shows the name you are currently Folding under, as well as which team. If you click on your Folding name, it will take you to the Stanford stats page for that username.

Next to the team number, you have a drop down menu. From there you can choose this stats site clicking the team number takes you to (username will always go to Stanford though). Your options are:

36163080.png

The most popularly used Folding stats site on OCN is Extreme Overclocking.
77981969.png

This part of the client lists the slots you have running on your client; your SMP, Unicore and GPU clients.

The information given is:

• The ID of each slot
• Whether it is running, paused, or hung.
• The description. For SMP slots, it will list the number of cores/threads being used. For GPU clients, it will list which number GPU it is in youu rig (starting at 0), the GPU core, and then the GPU itself.
53585165.png

This section is similar to HFM/Fahmon/other Folding monitoring program, with the notable exception of PPD and Time Per % values. It gives the following information for each slot:

• The ID of each slot
• Whether it is running, paused, or hung.
• The amount of the WU it has completed.
• The estimated time remaining to complete the WU.
• The credit of the WU (including bonuses for SMP/Unicore WUs).
• The Project number, and the in brackets, the Run, Clone, Gen values.

When comparing PPD and performance, the Project number alone is needed. When there is a problem with your client, all PRCG values are needed.
75898983.png

Just a complete dossier on your system.
smile.gif

A couple of things to note.

1) Build. The "Platform" will be "win32 Vista" whether you have Vista or Windows 7, and the "Bits" will be "32" regardless of whether you have an 32-bit or 64-bit OS. This is because the client itself is natively 32 bit.

2) System. The GPUs your have set up will be listed here, as well as their CUDA capabilities. You'll also see where all the logs and work folders are stored under "CWD".
13264319.png

The standard log of your client, listing the status and progress of each slot. You won't need to worry about it too much unless you're having trouble with your WUs (it keeps crashing, never starts, etc).
17675908.png

Similar to the "Work Queue" section above, but with a bit more information:

• The FahCore being used (FahCore_a3, _15, _a5, etc).
• How many attempts to connect to the server have been made (when trying to upload/download a WU).
• Time of download and final deadline.
• Server the WU was downloaded from, and will be uploaded to.
• Unique WU ID.

#8 ·
Multiple Passkeys

This section is primarily for the Team Competition Folders, but anyone who wishes to use more than one passkey will benefit from this guide.

1) Switch to "Advanced" or "Expert" mode, and then click the "Configure" button and go to the "Slots" tab.

Now, highlight the slot you'd like to add a different passkey to, and click "Edit".

78485437.png

2) At the bottom, under "Extra slot options (expert only)", click "Add". Enter the following:

Value: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (32 character passkey)

67056582.png

3) Thank me by sending me cookies.

#10 ·
So, for those of us who use, say, a small SSD for boot, and a different drive for everything else...where do we install the client? For example, I have a foldong on my D: drive for folding, and everything runs out of that folder. AFAIK, nothing gets written to the C: drive.

Is this possible with the v7 client?

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finrond;12918304
Just as a matter of note, I'm using driver 10.11 on my rig and core16 seems to be working fine (incoming, 11.1+ is the only driver officially supported)

Although I may add that i previously had 11.2 on there but it broke blu-ray playback.
I'm just posting the official word coming from Stanford in that case... I've heard that other version work too, but Stanford have said 11.2, so that's all I'm willing to say.
wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike44njdevils;12918329
So, for those of us who use, say, a small SSD for boot, and a different drive for everything else...where do we install the client? For example, I have a foldong on my D: drive for folding, and everything runs out of that folder. AFAIK, nothing gets written to the C: drive.

You can install the client (first screen) anywhere. All the writing to disk done by the client is to the Data directory (second screen). You can place that wherever you want too.
wink.gif

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike44njdevils;12918329

Of course, if you do the custom setup option it will let you choose which directory to install it into.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zodac;12918381
I'm just posting the official word coming from Stanford in that case... I've heard that other version work too, but Stanford have said 11.2, so that's all I'm willing to say.
wink.gif
Called it. And you were still compelled to repeat it anyway, hehe trained editor is trained.

#13 ·
Quote:
You can install the client (first screen) anywhere. All the writing to disk done by the client is to the Data directory (second screen). You can place that wherever you want too.
wink.gif
I assumed as much, and I also assumed you use these locations to make it easy once HFM gets its update. Since I'm very comfortable having HFM point at folders on different drives, it shouldn't be an issue....but then again since I have self doubt about everything, I'll stick my neck out and ask the questions
smile.gif

#14 ·
Quote:
wink.gif
11.3 Catalyst just came out...I'll play around with it in about 2-3 hours once some WUs finish up...

#15 ·
HFM post updated.

Not with actual instructions... but updated nonetheless.
tongue.gif

Multi-machine monitoring coming up.
smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skripka;12918525
11.3 Catalyst just came out...I'll play around with it in about 2-3 hours once some WUs finish up...
Sorry, I messed up. It's Cata v11.1 or newer.
wink.gif

#17 ·
Multiple slots section updated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunapiano;12919214
So will this pickup where the older v6 clients left of on current WU's?
No... they're seperate. Client v7 won't overwrite v6 clients at all.

#19 ·
Windows login I would have thought.

#21 ·
Instructions to enable Core16 WUs added.

#23 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfBalanceOX;12919733
does this client allow GPU2 for older nvidia GPU's or is it GPU3 only?
FahCore_11 (GPU2 WUs) are on this client too. So yes.
wink.gif

#24 ·
I probably already know the answer to this, but is the 8 core requirement for -bigadv still present? Or did they make it so that i5/X6 users can fold -bigadv?

#26 ·
Not natively; 8 threads are still required.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leekaiwei;12919870
How do you get both SMP and GPU to fold on this?
http://www.overclock.net/overclock-net-folding-home-team/977412-windows-7-complete-client-v7-guide.html#post12918157
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLChris;12919905
Wow amazing guide Z!
eek.gif

Its so pretty. o_O
Awww...
redface.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by spice003;12919896
so you're saying there will be point increase in the final version?
I'm saying don't judge this core as the final efforts of PG; there is still work being done on it. That might be lowering the CPU usage, or increasing the PPD performance, or both.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.