Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Open letter to Nvidia
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Open letter to Nvidia - Page 4

post #31 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draygonn View Post
1)condescending post towards Phaedrus
2)ingore list brettjv
3)????
4)PROFIT!!!
1.) Quote South Park
2.) ????
3.) Fail
White Phoenix
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 GTX 480 SLi G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) 1600/CL7 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial C300 256GB LG 6x BD-RW/HD-DVD Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate 64-bit Dell 'PLP' - 2007FP | 3007WFP-HC | 2007FP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Silverstone 1000w [80A]-Rail Antec p190 (Modded) Logitech G700 
Mouse Pad
Steelpad SteelSeries Experience I-2 
  hide details  
Reply
White Phoenix
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 GTX 480 SLi G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) 1600/CL7 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial C300 256GB LG 6x BD-RW/HD-DVD Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate 64-bit Dell 'PLP' - 2007FP | 3007WFP-HC | 2007FP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Silverstone 1000w [80A]-Rail Antec p190 (Modded) Logitech G700 
Mouse Pad
Steelpad SteelSeries Experience I-2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #32 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Track View Post
First you 'fail' me, now you go against Saulin?

Ignored.
Lemme see if I got this straight ... you think YOU can jump onto Phaedrus' thread (a HIGHLY respected OCN member, I might add), totally FAIL him by ridiculing him, calling him childish, etc, at will ... but then when I FAIL you for doing so ... you get all butt-hurt, start PM'ing me telling me I'm 'not nice', etc?

SERIOUSLY?

If you're going to dish it out, you better be able to take it, pal
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 72
Track seems upset, no doubt because he actually owns a GTX 590 and wouldn't want it to go kaboom.

Anyways, regardless of whatever people say, the fact that these are dying (so "many" so early - and by that I mean a number of cases only days after release) does show that NVIDIA have rushed. I doubt ASUS or MSI or Gigabyte will do a non-reference design because:
1. It won't sell a lot due to price
2. Very small market for ultra-expensive like this

There may be a MARS or ARES version of the 590 but ASUS would be better off doing it with a 6990 since the 590 will consume too much power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjv View Post
Lemme see if I got this straight ... you think YOU can jump onto Phaedrus' thread (a HIGHLY respected OCN member, I might add), totally FAIL him by ridiculing him, calling him childish, etc, at will ... but then when I FAIL you for doing so ... you get all butt-hurt, start PM'ing me telling me I'm 'not nice', etc?
SERIOUSLY?
If you're going to dish it out, you better be able to take it, pal
QFT.
Edited by Razi3l - 3/30/11 at 11:49am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4300Mhz Biostar TP67XE Waiting to buy a new one 8GB 1600Mhz 7-8-7-21 1T 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 SSD [250GB] Antec H20 620 Windows 7 x64 Acer S242HL 
PowerCase
Thermaltake 775W NZXT Phantom [White] 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4300Mhz Biostar TP67XE Waiting to buy a new one 8GB 1600Mhz 7-8-7-21 1T 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 SSD [250GB] Antec H20 620 Windows 7 x64 Acer S242HL 
PowerCase
Thermaltake 775W NZXT Phantom [White] 
  hide details  
Reply
post #34 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjv View Post
Lemme see if I got this straight ... you think YOU can jump onto Phaedrus' thread (a HIGHLY respected OCN member, I might add), totally FAIL him by ridiculing him, calling him childish, etc, at will ... but then when I FAIL you for doing so ... you get all butt-hurt, start PM'ing me telling me I'm 'not nice', etc?

SERIOUSLY?

If you're going to dish it out, you better be able to take it, pal
Hey everyone look at me is Brett. I need all your attention, it doesn't matter what anyone else has to say because I'm always right.

Yeah I remember you in your GTX 470/480 bashing threats. I see your GTX 465s are treating you right though

Yeah the OP should just send the letter to Nvidia. Sounds like a highly respectable OCN member would do.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 920 @ 4.3Ghz Asus P6X58D Premium Zotac GTX 480 6GB CORSAIR XMS3 7-7-7-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2X Vertex LE 100GB SSDs/RAID-0 & 2TB Barracuda XT Samsung SH-S243D 24x DVD-Writer Windows 7 LG Flatron W2242TQ & LG Flatron W1942TQ 
PowerCase
Corsair TX750W Cooler Master Haf 932 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 920 @ 4.3Ghz Asus P6X58D Premium Zotac GTX 480 6GB CORSAIR XMS3 7-7-7-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2X Vertex LE 100GB SSDs/RAID-0 & 2TB Barracuda XT Samsung SH-S243D 24x DVD-Writer Windows 7 LG Flatron W2242TQ & LG Flatron W1942TQ 
PowerCase
Corsair TX750W Cooler Master Haf 932 
  hide details  
Reply
post #35 of 72
Phaedrus2129, I'd like to make sure I understand your position. Are you saying that NVIDIA intended that their customers in the enthusiast market should be able to overclock their cards without risk of causing damage? Because if that's was NVIDIA's intent, then you're right: It's an engineering failure and either corrected replacements or refunds should be offered.

However, I'm not sure the first point is valid. They rated and sold their product to conform to certain specifications, and it's likely that operating the hardware in excess of those specifications would constitute misuse under their warranty.

Did NVIDIA at any time advertise the GTX 590 as being safe for overclocking? Does the card also fail when operated within its design parameters? Has NVIDIA failed to honor its own warranty on these cards? If the answer to either of these questions is 'yes,' then I withdraw the argument, but I humbly ask you to consider that we take risks when overclocking and though our ventures don't typically result in catastrophic failure, it's always a possibility. When it does happen, it's more likely caused by the user exceeding the hardware's capabilities than by a design flaw.
Windy
(17 items)
 
Full Auto GPU-O
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 B1 @ 4.25GHz EVGA X58 Classified 3 (E770) EVGA GTX 970 SSC 24GB Corsair XMS3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M500 120GB Crucial M4 256GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (2) LG BD-RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H50 w/Scythe SFF21F Windows 10 Home Premium 64-bit Dell S2740L Deck Legend 105 - Fire / Linear 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX 750 Soldam Windy Black Knight Mionix Avior 8200 Rocketfish Speed 
Audio
Creative Soundblaster XTreme Audio 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 540 Asus P7H55-M-PRO EVGA GTX 1070 FTW2 iCX 4GB Corsair DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
256GB Samsung 850 Pro 640GB Western Digital Caviar Black Lite-On CD/DVD Burner Linux Mint 18.1 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Samsung 2333HD Deck Legend 105 - Ice EVGA Supernova 650W P2 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Lian Li Velocity Micro Custom Logitech G500 Rocketfish Speed 
  hide details  
Reply
Windy
(17 items)
 
Full Auto GPU-O
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 B1 @ 4.25GHz EVGA X58 Classified 3 (E770) EVGA GTX 970 SSC 24GB Corsair XMS3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M500 120GB Crucial M4 256GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (2) LG BD-RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H50 w/Scythe SFF21F Windows 10 Home Premium 64-bit Dell S2740L Deck Legend 105 - Fire / Linear 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX 750 Soldam Windy Black Knight Mionix Avior 8200 Rocketfish Speed 
Audio
Creative Soundblaster XTreme Audio 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 540 Asus P7H55-M-PRO EVGA GTX 1070 FTW2 iCX 4GB Corsair DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
256GB Samsung 850 Pro 640GB Western Digital Caviar Black Lite-On CD/DVD Burner Linux Mint 18.1 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Samsung 2333HD Deck Legend 105 - Ice EVGA Supernova 650W P2 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Lian Li Velocity Micro Custom Logitech G500 Rocketfish Speed 
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjv View Post
Lemme see if I got this straight ... you think YOU can jump onto Phaedrus' thread (a HIGHLY respected OCN member, I might add), totally FAIL him by ridiculing him, calling him childish, etc, at will ... but then when I FAIL you for doing so ... you get all butt-hurt, start PM'ing me telling me I'm 'not nice', etc?

SERIOUSLY?

If you're going to dish it out, you better be able to take it, pal
Track PM'd you too? He did that to me a while ago when I posted in one of his threads. It's laughable how butthurt people get on the internets.
Black Sand
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.8GHz ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z EVGA GTX 580 SLI 8GB Corsair Dominator GT @ 1885 MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB Mushkin Callisto Deluxe +1TB WD Caviar Black Windows 7 Home Premium ASUS VW246 Corsair HX-850 
Case
HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Sand
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.8GHz ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z EVGA GTX 580 SLI 8GB Corsair Dominator GT @ 1885 MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB Mushkin Callisto Deluxe +1TB WD Caviar Black Windows 7 Home Premium ASUS VW246 Corsair HX-850 
Case
HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
post #37 of 72
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kremtok View Post
Phaedrus2129, I'd like to make sure I understand your position. Are you saying that NVIDIA intended that their customers in the enthusiast market should be able to overclock their cards without risk of causing damage? Because if that's was NVIDIA's intent, then you're right: It's an engineering failure and either corrected replacements or refunds should be offered.

However, I'm not sure the first point is valid. They rated and sold their product to conform to certain specifications, and it's likely that operating the hardware in excess of those specifications would constitute misuse under their warranty.

Did NVIDIA at any time advertise the GTX 590 as being safe for overclocking? Does the card also fail when operated within its design parameters? Has NVIDIA failed to honor its own warranty on these cards? If the answer to either of these questions is 'yes,' then I withdraw the argument, but I humbly ask you to consider that we take risks when overclocking and though our ventures don't typically result in catastrophic failure, it's always a possibility. When it does happen, it's more likely caused by the user exceeding the hardware's capabilities than by a design flaw.
There's multiple layers of responsibilities and understanding here. No, Nvidia was not in any way legally obligated to make the card safe for overclocking. On the other hand, the expectation is that the cards would be safe for overclocking, since Nvidia officially and unofficially encourages overclocking in many different ways, as do their AIB partners, and this is a flagship product, which most customers would reasonably expect to be capable of overclocking.

Releasing the GTX590 in a state that cannot overclock, and then not informing anyone until after the fact, and then blaming it on the customers for overclocking... That's just extremely petty, and comes across more as a "Gotcha!" than anything else.
post #38 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post
There's multiple layers of responsibilities and understanding here. No, Nvidia was not in any way legally obligated to make the card safe for overclocking. On the other hand, the expectation is that the cards would be safe for overclocking, since Nvidia officially and unofficially encourages overclocking in many different ways, as do their AIB partners, and this is a flagship product, which most customers would reasonably expect to be capable of overclocking.

Releasing the GTX590 in a state that cannot overclock, and then not informing anyone until after the fact, and then blaming it on the customers for overclocking... That's just extremely petty, and comes across more as a "Gotcha!" than anything else.
YES, that is unfathomably obvious.

I am pissed off about, everyone else is pissed off about it.

But we're not trying to write letters to nVidia because we know it won't work.

You don't set yourself up for changing the world by writing a letter with strong words.

I know what you'll say, I know you. You've got a bleeding heart for "trying" and seeing more in yourself for it.

But sometimes being realistic is more important.
White Phoenix
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 GTX 480 SLi G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) 1600/CL7 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial C300 256GB LG 6x BD-RW/HD-DVD Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate 64-bit Dell 'PLP' - 2007FP | 3007WFP-HC | 2007FP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Silverstone 1000w [80A]-Rail Antec p190 (Modded) Logitech G700 
Mouse Pad
Steelpad SteelSeries Experience I-2 
  hide details  
Reply
White Phoenix
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 GTX 480 SLi G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) 1600/CL7 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial C300 256GB LG 6x BD-RW/HD-DVD Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate 64-bit Dell 'PLP' - 2007FP | 3007WFP-HC | 2007FP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Silverstone 1000w [80A]-Rail Antec p190 (Modded) Logitech G700 
Mouse Pad
Steelpad SteelSeries Experience I-2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #39 of 72
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Track View Post
YES, that is unfathomably obvious.

I am pissed off about, everyone else is pissed off about it.

But we're not trying to write letters to nVidia because we know it won't work.

You don't set yourself up for changing the world by writing a letter with strong words.

I know what you'll say, I know you. You've got a bleeding heart for "trying" and seeing more in yourself for it.

But sometimes being realistic is more important.
Companies are not immovable. Do I expect Nvidia to respond to this? No. Do I expect them to use that pre-written response? *Definitely* not. But you can crowbar a company into doing something. Done it before. This is a cheap first step. I'm considering if it's worth the effort to go further.
post #40 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post
There's multiple layers of responsibilities and understanding here. No, Nvidia was not in any way legally obligated to make the card safe for overclocking. On the other hand, the expectation is that the cards would be safe for overclocking, since Nvidia officially and unofficially encourages overclocking in many different ways, as do their AIB partners, and this is a flagship product, which most customers would reasonably expect to be capable of overclocking.

Releasing the GTX590 in a state that cannot overclock, and then not informing anyone until after the fact, and then blaming it on the customers for overclocking... That's just extremely petty, and comes across more as a "Gotcha!" than anything else.
I both understand your point and see why you're upset, but permit me to respectfully disagree.
Windy
(17 items)
 
Full Auto GPU-O
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 B1 @ 4.25GHz EVGA X58 Classified 3 (E770) EVGA GTX 970 SSC 24GB Corsair XMS3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M500 120GB Crucial M4 256GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (2) LG BD-RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H50 w/Scythe SFF21F Windows 10 Home Premium 64-bit Dell S2740L Deck Legend 105 - Fire / Linear 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX 750 Soldam Windy Black Knight Mionix Avior 8200 Rocketfish Speed 
Audio
Creative Soundblaster XTreme Audio 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 540 Asus P7H55-M-PRO EVGA GTX 1070 FTW2 iCX 4GB Corsair DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
256GB Samsung 850 Pro 640GB Western Digital Caviar Black Lite-On CD/DVD Burner Linux Mint 18.1 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Samsung 2333HD Deck Legend 105 - Ice EVGA Supernova 650W P2 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Lian Li Velocity Micro Custom Logitech G500 Rocketfish Speed 
  hide details  
Reply
Windy
(17 items)
 
Full Auto GPU-O
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 B1 @ 4.25GHz EVGA X58 Classified 3 (E770) EVGA GTX 970 SSC 24GB Corsair XMS3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M500 120GB Crucial M4 256GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (2) LG BD-RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H50 w/Scythe SFF21F Windows 10 Home Premium 64-bit Dell S2740L Deck Legend 105 - Fire / Linear 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX 750 Soldam Windy Black Knight Mionix Avior 8200 Rocketfish Speed 
Audio
Creative Soundblaster XTreme Audio 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 540 Asus P7H55-M-PRO EVGA GTX 1070 FTW2 iCX 4GB Corsair DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
256GB Samsung 850 Pro 640GB Western Digital Caviar Black Lite-On CD/DVD Burner Linux Mint 18.1 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Samsung 2333HD Deck Legend 105 - Ice EVGA Supernova 650W P2 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Lian Li Velocity Micro Custom Logitech G500 Rocketfish Speed 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Open letter to Nvidia