Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [BBC] Japan to scrap stricken nuclear reactors
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[BBC] Japan to scrap stricken nuclear reactors - Page 5

post #41 of 92
In other news... Japan is ****ed. Along with any area remotely close to it from the radiation leaks.
Perpetual debt
(15 items)
 
Money Pit
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k Asus P8P67 Pro PNY GTX 480 2x4gb G.Skill Ripjaws 2133mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 3 Coolit Freezone Elite Win7 Ultimate Samsung 2233rz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair HX750 Antec Server case Razer Deathadder 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Thermaltake LCD Mousepad Logitech 5.1 Surround Tritton AX PC Pro 5.1 Surround Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel q6600 @ 3.9ghz (433x9) EVGA 780i FTW evga 8200gs 512mb  4x2gb Corsair XMS TwinX 866mhz @ 5-5-5-5-18 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 750gb Seagate Baracuda 7200.12 RAID0 5x 1.5tb Seagate Baracuda 7200.11 RAID5 LITE-ON 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Corsair H70 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 Ultimate x64 22" Acer x223w Logitech G15 Corsair HX750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
APEVIA MX-ALIEN Razer Deathadder Thermaltake LCD Mousepad Triton AX Pro PC 
Audio
Logitech 5.1 surround sound. 
  hide details  
Reply
Perpetual debt
(15 items)
 
Money Pit
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k Asus P8P67 Pro PNY GTX 480 2x4gb G.Skill Ripjaws 2133mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 3 Coolit Freezone Elite Win7 Ultimate Samsung 2233rz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair HX750 Antec Server case Razer Deathadder 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Thermaltake LCD Mousepad Logitech 5.1 Surround Tritton AX PC Pro 5.1 Surround Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel q6600 @ 3.9ghz (433x9) EVGA 780i FTW evga 8200gs 512mb  4x2gb Corsair XMS TwinX 866mhz @ 5-5-5-5-18 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 750gb Seagate Baracuda 7200.12 RAID0 5x 1.5tb Seagate Baracuda 7200.11 RAID5 LITE-ON 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Corsair H70 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 Ultimate x64 22" Acer x223w Logitech G15 Corsair HX750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
APEVIA MX-ALIEN Razer Deathadder Thermaltake LCD Mousepad Triton AX Pro PC 
Audio
Logitech 5.1 surround sound. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #42 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk777th View Post
-snip- youtube video
Wrong. I've seen very few news sources other than the BBC post anything even close to correct when it comes to situation. The Fukushima situation isn't anywhere NEAR as dangerous as Chernobyl was. The amount of radiation being released by the plant is roughly 10,000 times less than the amount of radiation released by Chernobyl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweir View Post
From what some scientists are saying it's more harmful to ingest plutonium/uranium than to inhale it... that's why it's so dangerous to have it in the water supply. With a half life of thousands of years, it will seep into the groundwater and travel far, over the course of thousands of years.
Exactly the opposite. It's much worse to inhale plutonium and have it land in your lungs. Although the amount of plutonium required to cause physical harm is much, much more than the amount being released at Fukushima (over 1000x less than the harmful amount)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plutonium#Toxicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppanic View Post
The primary concern with plutonium is that its got a stupidedly long half-life (i.e. around 24 thousand years) and how we can store this safely for many half-lives.
That's exactly why it's not dangerous. Because the half-life is so long, only very small amounts of radiation are released. Long term exposure to low level radiation doesn't cause cancer. It's exposure to a large source of radiation for a short period of time that causes you to have an increased cancer risk. It's the particles with half lives measured in days that are the dangerous ones as they release a more significant amount of radiation in the same time period.

Longer half-life = less powerful radiation



Finally, look at the link in my sig for more information.
Edited by charliehorse55 - 4/1/11 at 6:40am
Labor of Love
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k @ 5.0 GHz/1.42v ASUS P8P67 Pro MSI GTX 670 OC 20 GB/1600/7-7-7-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
120GB Vertex SSD Western Digital 1TB None! Ubuntu 12.04/Win8/OSX 10.8.2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" 1440p X-Star OCN Mechanical - MX Browns Seasonic X-560 800D w/RX480 top mounted 
Mouse
Logitech USB Generic 
  hide details  
Reply
Labor of Love
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k @ 5.0 GHz/1.42v ASUS P8P67 Pro MSI GTX 670 OC 20 GB/1600/7-7-7-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
120GB Vertex SSD Western Digital 1TB None! Ubuntu 12.04/Win8/OSX 10.8.2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" 1440p X-Star OCN Mechanical - MX Browns Seasonic X-560 800D w/RX480 top mounted 
Mouse
Logitech USB Generic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #43 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomfunk View Post
wat
You don't know what melt down is then, nor are you aware of what fail safes and precautions there are to allow for cores to safely melt down.

If a core melts down the radioactive fuel and the pressure vessel fall in to what tis known as a core catcher fail safe. This core catcher spreads all molten material out to a such a surface area that it can cool rapidly, all this happing with in air and radiation tight of the containment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flack88 View Post
........Of course not....... Theres no thing as a safe meltdown.
http://www.naturalnews.com/031736_pl...d_uranium.html

Most of these posts make me see how they are and WILL get away with this, then all the cancer victims will just be a footnote later on down the line!
You need to read up on this matter, before you start spewing conspiracy theory rubbish everywhere.

That whole article fuels itself by talking in 'ifs' as opposed to 'haves' - the hydrogen explosions have released little more than cesium and iodine isotopes which have a half life of a few seconds or less than than 30 minutes.

It's this kind of talk that would have nuclear energy stopped entirely.

Eddie.
Geoff
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @ 4.8Ghz Asus P8P67 Rev 3 NVIDIA GTX 480 @ 850/1700 8Gb Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
400gb Samsung Thermaltake Frio Windows 7 Ultimate LG 22" Flatron L227WT 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse III Corsair HX620W Fractal Design Arc Midi Logitech G500 
Mouse PadAudio
Rug Creative Xtreme Gamer with Sennheiser PC151s & ... 
  hide details  
Reply
Geoff
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @ 4.8Ghz Asus P8P67 Rev 3 NVIDIA GTX 480 @ 850/1700 8Gb Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
400gb Samsung Thermaltake Frio Windows 7 Ultimate LG 22" Flatron L227WT 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse III Corsair HX620W Fractal Design Arc Midi Logitech G500 
Mouse PadAudio
Rug Creative Xtreme Gamer with Sennheiser PC151s & ... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #44 of 92
Quote:
You don't know what melt down is then, nor are you aware of what fail safes and precautions there are to allow for cores to safely melt down.

If a core melts down the radioactive fuel and the pressure vessel fall in to what tis known as a core catcher fail safe. This core catcher spreads all molten material out to a such a surface area that it can cool rapidly, all this happing with in air and radiation tight of the containment.
I'm going to yell out "proof". I'm under a fairly strong impression that failsafes are "fail" safes not "oh this one's done for, yea no worries mate meltdown it is" safe.

Also, did these reactors even have these "core catchers" you speak of?
post #45 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomfunk View Post
I'm going to yell out "proof". I'm under a fairly strong impression that failsafes are "fail" safes not "oh this one's done for, yea no worries mate meltdown it is" safe.

Also, did these reactors even have these "core catchers" you speak of?
Only too happy to. Read this thoroughly before you post again, just to make sure that your argument is actually informed.

Proof 1
Proof 2
Proof 3

I am unable, at present to find the actual piece that he wrote where he went in to detail about the various fail safes. I will try to find this information, but if anyone else is able to provide a link please do.

If any contrary evidence that relates as specifically to japan, goes into as much detail, references enough fact, and is written by an individual with similar authority please post it so that I can read it.

Eddie.
Geoff
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @ 4.8Ghz Asus P8P67 Rev 3 NVIDIA GTX 480 @ 850/1700 8Gb Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
400gb Samsung Thermaltake Frio Windows 7 Ultimate LG 22" Flatron L227WT 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse III Corsair HX620W Fractal Design Arc Midi Logitech G500 
Mouse PadAudio
Rug Creative Xtreme Gamer with Sennheiser PC151s & ... 
  hide details  
Reply
Geoff
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @ 4.8Ghz Asus P8P67 Rev 3 NVIDIA GTX 480 @ 850/1700 8Gb Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
400gb Samsung Thermaltake Frio Windows 7 Ultimate LG 22" Flatron L227WT 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse III Corsair HX620W Fractal Design Arc Midi Logitech G500 
Mouse PadAudio
Rug Creative Xtreme Gamer with Sennheiser PC151s & ... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #46 of 92
A meltdown is still undesirable because it makes the cleanup much harder and reduces the amount of control that the engineers running the plant have over the situation.
Labor of Love
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k @ 5.0 GHz/1.42v ASUS P8P67 Pro MSI GTX 670 OC 20 GB/1600/7-7-7-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
120GB Vertex SSD Western Digital 1TB None! Ubuntu 12.04/Win8/OSX 10.8.2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" 1440p X-Star OCN Mechanical - MX Browns Seasonic X-560 800D w/RX480 top mounted 
Mouse
Logitech USB Generic 
  hide details  
Reply
Labor of Love
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k @ 5.0 GHz/1.42v ASUS P8P67 Pro MSI GTX 670 OC 20 GB/1600/7-7-7-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
120GB Vertex SSD Western Digital 1TB None! Ubuntu 12.04/Win8/OSX 10.8.2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" 1440p X-Star OCN Mechanical - MX Browns Seasonic X-560 800D w/RX480 top mounted 
Mouse
Logitech USB Generic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #47 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehorse55 View Post
A meltdown is still undesirable because it makes the cleanup much harder and reduces the amount of control that the engineers running the plant have over the situation.
This I completely agree with, but it was stated earlier in the thread that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeacialFeatures View Post
As soon as they put salt water into those reactors, they knew they would have to be permenantly shut down
I dispute this because I don't think it is because of the sea water that the reactors are being shut down. I may however be reading in to the post too much.

Eddie.
Geoff
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @ 4.8Ghz Asus P8P67 Rev 3 NVIDIA GTX 480 @ 850/1700 8Gb Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
400gb Samsung Thermaltake Frio Windows 7 Ultimate LG 22" Flatron L227WT 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse III Corsair HX620W Fractal Design Arc Midi Logitech G500 
Mouse PadAudio
Rug Creative Xtreme Gamer with Sennheiser PC151s & ... 
  hide details  
Reply
Geoff
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @ 4.8Ghz Asus P8P67 Rev 3 NVIDIA GTX 480 @ 850/1700 8Gb Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
400gb Samsung Thermaltake Frio Windows 7 Ultimate LG 22" Flatron L227WT 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse III Corsair HX620W Fractal Design Arc Midi Logitech G500 
Mouse PadAudio
Rug Creative Xtreme Gamer with Sennheiser PC151s & ... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #48 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriceEddie View Post
I dispute this because I don't think it is because of the sea water that the reactors are being shut down. I may however be reading in to the post too much.

Eddie.
The seawater is the reason the reactors are being shutdown. Saltwater is extremely corrosive and once you pump it into a reactor the damage it does is permanent and means that the reactor will never again be operational. The advantage of using saltwater over fresh water is that it absorbs more neutrons and has a higher heat capacity, making it better for cooling the reactor.
Labor of Love
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k @ 5.0 GHz/1.42v ASUS P8P67 Pro MSI GTX 670 OC 20 GB/1600/7-7-7-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
120GB Vertex SSD Western Digital 1TB None! Ubuntu 12.04/Win8/OSX 10.8.2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" 1440p X-Star OCN Mechanical - MX Browns Seasonic X-560 800D w/RX480 top mounted 
Mouse
Logitech USB Generic 
  hide details  
Reply
Labor of Love
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k @ 5.0 GHz/1.42v ASUS P8P67 Pro MSI GTX 670 OC 20 GB/1600/7-7-7-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
120GB Vertex SSD Western Digital 1TB None! Ubuntu 12.04/Win8/OSX 10.8.2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" 1440p X-Star OCN Mechanical - MX Browns Seasonic X-560 800D w/RX480 top mounted 
Mouse
Logitech USB Generic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #49 of 92
PriceEddie ..... Im not even going to comment you fail so hard.

http://ecocentric.blogs.time.com/201...-the-problems/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12881015

I suppose this is just a 'conspiracy' as you put it......

Quote:
Plutonium has also been found in soil at the plant, but not at levels that threaten human health, officials say.
post #50 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehorse55 View Post
The seawater is the reason the reactors are being shutdown. Saltwater is extremely corrosive and once you pump it into a reactor the damage it does is permanent and means that the reactor will never again be operational. The advantage of using saltwater over fresh water is that it absorbs more neutrons and has a higher heat capacity, making it better for cooling the reactor.
Mmmm, of the reading I have done information on the damage done by seawater is unclear. Some talk of possible damage, other talk of none. Do you have any information on this I could read? Cheers.

Eddie.
Geoff
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @ 4.8Ghz Asus P8P67 Rev 3 NVIDIA GTX 480 @ 850/1700 8Gb Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
400gb Samsung Thermaltake Frio Windows 7 Ultimate LG 22" Flatron L227WT 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse III Corsair HX620W Fractal Design Arc Midi Logitech G500 
Mouse PadAudio
Rug Creative Xtreme Gamer with Sennheiser PC151s & ... 
  hide details  
Reply
Geoff
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @ 4.8Ghz Asus P8P67 Rev 3 NVIDIA GTX 480 @ 850/1700 8Gb Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
400gb Samsung Thermaltake Frio Windows 7 Ultimate LG 22" Flatron L227WT 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse III Corsair HX620W Fractal Design Arc Midi Logitech G500 
Mouse PadAudio
Rug Creative Xtreme Gamer with Sennheiser PC151s & ... 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [BBC] Japan to scrap stricken nuclear reactors