I needed to add a couple switches for the lighting in the case. The cold cathode came with one, but it was an ugly red push button on the took a whole pci slot, and I had to replace it. I have pictures of it to show later on. But I figured I would start this early to give them time to cure after painting before installing them.
So taped up and primed.
I had to paint the nuts that went on the inside of the case, could not have silver anywhere of course.
I taped off the top after the primer dried, and painted the rest of the switch black.
Here you can see the switches primed once I removed the tape, and also the nuts are painted now.
Taped up what I did not want painted of course.
And gave them a few coats of paint, and also a coat of clear to add some durability so they wont chip.
While the paint was drying, time to lay out where I wanted the switches positioned.
Drilled my pilot holes.
Drilled out to 5/32" to easily fit my switches.
Test fit, but look at that, they are off, my shaky hands do not help when drilling. I really need to buy a drill press, even just a cheap one.
I needed to redo them, as I was not happy and I did not want to try using the same one. So again this time I measure and measured and measured.
This time it came out nice. A little off, but still good where the can be adjust to line up.
So after all is done, The switches look nice and bright and had a day to fully dry.
This is what they ended up looking like. I went with the yellow and black. They looked much nicer. There is the switch that came with the kit. Can you say "UGLY". I can and that is why it can not be used.
Here is a look at the full wiring harness that came with the kit. the tape is labeled for my own sake, just so I wouldn't forget something once I cut it up.
This is what I will be using to replace and extend the harness to fit my needs.
Test fitting my length.
Here you can see it out the back where the switches will be.
Pulled out the solder station and got to work.
Extended the wiring.
The finished extended wiring.
Attached the switch, getting ready to solder.
I went from this....
To this. I think it is much better, plus it fits the way I wanted it to.
This is the color of the enclosure that came in the kit. Who actually thinks this color will work in a case must be high or something.
This is the control for the cold cathode, which I removed to paint the case.
All primed up and ready for paint. I used regular primer and took it slow.
First coat of paint. Since I did not have any plastic paint I just did light coats.
I forgot to take pictures of taping off and painting the stripes. But I did just as I did earlier. Lights coats, and some wet sanding untill I was happy with the results.
This guy would not move off my table, I had to actually pick him up and move him. Then he hung around and watched me,
Finished and dry read to go in.
I did not paint the inside as you wont see it, just a look at that wonderful some color blue.
The board back in.
All back together and ready to go.
These are the lights, I laid out where I wanted them. Then sleeved them up.
All sleeved up and I am using double sided tape to attach the lights and the control.
The cold cathodes in place. I tried other locations and this seemed to give the best lighting effect. I will have pics later on in the finally log with the lights on.
I will have some more today, as I was working to finish before my time on the competition ran out. I took quite a few pics, just need to finish the logs. Hopefully you enjoyed this rather boring update.
* This Worklog post was generated using WorklogCreator - Version: 18.104.22.168
* Free Download: http://www.mod2software.com/worklogc...logcreator.zip