Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [RS] AT&T’s secret loophole: If you want out of an Internet contract, just curse
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[RS] AT&T’s secret loophole: If you want out of an Internet contract, just curse - Page 3

post #21 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdla4ever View Post
No I have monitored 10 different users and none of them hit 2 GB in a month, only one even came close and she was a compulsive facebook user.

But while verizon currently has unlimited when they cancel that plan they will go to plans almost identical just like they had before the iphone 4.
And I can hit 2GB in a week just watching some videos and a small amount of tethering, no torrenting either. You seriously have no issue with american telcom companies moving us backword when it comes to the internet?

EDIT: I did not know that about verizon, I guess two companies are screwing the american public. I have been using Virgin mobile which is unlimited data, unlimited text and 300 minutes for 25 a month. Plus Tmobile has had unlimited(with a soft cap) and sprint has unlimited.
3930k
(20 items)
 
  
Reply
3930k
(20 items)
 
  
Reply
post #22 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdla4ever View Post
Seriously? Because verizon doesn't do anything bad?

And oh ya $52 a month for my phone, is so awful!!! And the one time they made a mistake on my bill it took me like 8 minutes on the phone to have it reversed and even got a $10 credit, but it was awful service... /sarcasm

2nd coolest thing to hate now is AT&T...

Or instead of getting mad at a company for working for its bottom line, maybe ask your politician to have the government build out the infrastructure better.
I didn't say anything about Verizon.

When you have one company that can give you voice + unlimited data + unlimited texts and still charge literally half of what you were paying for voice alone with another company, you don't think there's something wrong with that? It has nothing to do with being able to afford to pay it, and everything to do with the business practices behind it. And the fact that AT&T imposes MANDATORY data plans, in addition to voice, that you cannot get out of, even if you purchased your own device outside of them at full retail, and don't want to use data at all, yet still want a non-lame phone (good non-smartphones are
more and more uncommon).
Quote:
Originally Posted by scyy View Post
He is clearly talking about data which is where AT&T has been continually screwing its customers for awhile now. 2GB cap with 10 dollar overages every GB over? You don't think that is bad? Seriously?
Yes, I was talking about data--thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdla4ever View Post
I guess I'm dumb, I don't use 2 GB normally, since I have WiFi everywhere I go. But besides the fact the $52 a month is for unlimited data, 700 minutes, and unlimited texts, on my current phone.

EDIT: And does verizon not have very similar plans??
Is what you pay for those features a currently-available option? Who is your carrier?

Right. Anyhoo, the cheapest voice plan AT&T has is $40/mo for 450 minutes, and if you have a smartphone you want to use, it's a mandatory data plan on top of that, for which the cheapest plan of 200MB/mo is $35, and if you want texts (since you are charged to receive them anyway), the cheapest text plan is $10/mo. So voice + data + texts with AT&T = $85/mo, and that's the cheapest it can get. voice + data + texts with Virgin Mobile = $25/mo.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by scyy View Post
And I can hit 2GB in a week just watching some videos and a small amount of tethering, no torrenting either. You seriously have no issue with american telcom companies moving us backword when it comes to the internet?
No I do, but if your tethering then you get 4 GB not 2 GB. These plans are not made for tethering, if you do not tether, then you will have a decent time hitting that limit unless you seriously watch netflix or the such on your phone instead of any other outlet you could.

I have a problem with people whining about one company when Verizon is just as bad, does verizon offer unlimited texting to anyone yet?? Because they once did and took it off my plan without asking and I ended up having to pay them $500 and they would not compensate me, and that is when I switched and have had nothing but perfect service from AT&T for 7+ years now.

AT&T Data plan isn't $35... Those plans are for laptops, AT&T plans are $15 and $25 for their cell phones
Edited by sdla4ever - 3/31/11 at 4:39pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 930 [4.33 Ghz] EVGA X58 SLI LE EVGA GTS 450 [SLI] 6 GB DDR 3 OCZ 1600 [1T-7-8-7-18 @ 1474] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Vertex 2 [120 GB] + 4x WD Green 2 TB [Raid1] Samsung BD-R [12x] Microsoft Windows 7 Pro [x64] [3] Samsung SyncMaster 2233sw 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
I-rocks Corsair HX650 [650W] Lian Li PC K62 Logi 
Mouse Pad
Metallica 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 930 [4.33 Ghz] EVGA X58 SLI LE EVGA GTS 450 [SLI] 6 GB DDR 3 OCZ 1600 [1T-7-8-7-18 @ 1474] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Vertex 2 [120 GB] + 4x WD Green 2 TB [Raid1] Samsung BD-R [12x] Microsoft Windows 7 Pro [x64] [3] Samsung SyncMaster 2233sw 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
I-rocks Corsair HX650 [650W] Lian Li PC K62 Logi 
Mouse Pad
Metallica 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistDeAlec View Post
Would the roaming thing work on Verizon? Also, wouldn't I just end up paying for the roaming cost or do they cover that?
Just call them up and ask if State wide roaming is free or not. From what I've read it is. If yes then all you have to do is force roaming. Check out apps like this.
Jet
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
940 3GHz Quad Core Black Edition ASRock 780GXE EVGA GTX 460 768MB 4GB OCZ Reaper DDR2 1066MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB 7200RPM SAMSUNG 22X Windows 7 64-Bit Dell ST2410 24" 1920x1080 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ StealthXStream 700W Aplus Monolith Mircosoft SideWinder 
  hide details  
Reply
Jet
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
940 3GHz Quad Core Black Edition ASRock 780GXE EVGA GTX 460 768MB 4GB OCZ Reaper DDR2 1066MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB 7200RPM SAMSUNG 22X Windows 7 64-Bit Dell ST2410 24" 1920x1080 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ StealthXStream 700W Aplus Monolith Mircosoft SideWinder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdla4ever View Post
No I do, but if your tethering then you get 4 GB not 2 GB. These plans are not made for tethering, if you do not tether, then you will have a decent time hitting that limit unless you seriously watch netflix or the such on your phone instead of any other outlet you could.

I have a problem with people whining about one company when Verizon is just as bad, does verizon offer unlimited texting to anyone yet?? Because they once did and took it off my plan without asking and I ended up having to pay them $500 and they would not compensate me, and that is when I switched and have had nothing but perfect service from AT&T for 7+ years now.

AT&T Data plan isn't $35... Those plans are for laptops, AT&T plans are $15 and $25 for their cell phones
You are missing the point entirely! The fact that you get continually worse overages along with continually lower caps doesn't mean anything to you? Who cares if YOU don't go over 2GB because there are plenty of people who do without tethering even. I only mentioned tethering because it makes my use go up slightly more. I would still be hitting 2GB in 10 days to 2 weeks just using the phone.

Taken directly from their website "DataPlus 2GB for Smartphone includes 2GB. Once 2GB is exceeded, an additional 200MB is automatically provided at a rate of $15 for each additional 200MB provided. Unused data usage does not carry over. For HSPA+/4G SmartPhones ONLY." You honestly don't think that is ridiculous? 15 dollars for 200MB?!?! SERIOUSLY???
3930k
(20 items)
 
  
Reply
3930k
(20 items)
 
  
Reply
post #26 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by scyy View Post
You are missing the point entirely! The fact that you get continually worse overages along with continually lower caps doesn't mean anything to you? Who cares if YOU don't go over 2GB because there are plenty of people who do without tethering even. I only mentioned tethering because it makes my use go up slightly more. I would still be hitting 2GB in 10 days to 2 weeks just using the phone.

Taken directly from their website "DataPlus 2GB for Smartphone includes 2GB. Once 2GB is exceeded, an additional 200MB is automatically provided at a rate of $15 for each additional 200MB provided. Unused data usage does not carry over. For HSPA+/4G SmartPhones ONLY." You honestly don't think that is ridiculous? 15 dollars for 200MB?!?! SERIOUSLY???
that is only for the HSPA+ phones, smartphones like the iphone are $10 per 1 GB overage.

Yes I get your point, but where do I go from here? To virgin? I'll pass. Sprint? Oh yes because if you like outside their few 4G zones your speeds are awful. T-mobile? speed and reliability issues? Leaves you with Verizon and AT&T who have almost identical plans.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 930 [4.33 Ghz] EVGA X58 SLI LE EVGA GTS 450 [SLI] 6 GB DDR 3 OCZ 1600 [1T-7-8-7-18 @ 1474] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Vertex 2 [120 GB] + 4x WD Green 2 TB [Raid1] Samsung BD-R [12x] Microsoft Windows 7 Pro [x64] [3] Samsung SyncMaster 2233sw 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
I-rocks Corsair HX650 [650W] Lian Li PC K62 Logi 
Mouse Pad
Metallica 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 930 [4.33 Ghz] EVGA X58 SLI LE EVGA GTS 450 [SLI] 6 GB DDR 3 OCZ 1600 [1T-7-8-7-18 @ 1474] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Vertex 2 [120 GB] + 4x WD Green 2 TB [Raid1] Samsung BD-R [12x] Microsoft Windows 7 Pro [x64] [3] Samsung SyncMaster 2233sw 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
I-rocks Corsair HX650 [650W] Lian Li PC K62 Logi 
Mouse Pad
Metallica 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdla4ever View Post
that is only for the HSPA+ phones, smartphones like the iphone are $10 per 1 GB overage.

Yes I get your point, but where do I go from here? To virgin? I'll pass. Sprint? Oh yes because if you like outside their few 4G zones your speeds are awful. T-mobile? speed and reliability issues? Leaves you with Verizon and AT&T who have almost identical plans.
Sprint is actually not that bad, I get about 1mbps average on VM which uses sprints 3g and I can get up to 2.6mbps during off hours. And their 4g while not in many cities is actually pretty good when you can use it. I mean if you are fine with 2GB and you can stay under more power to you but for a very large number of people it's essentially highway robbery.

EDIT, nvm it just loaded up differently, you are right about 3g overages.
Edited by scyy - 3/31/11 at 4:57pm
3930k
(20 items)
 
  
Reply
3930k
(20 items)
 
  
Reply
post #28 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by scyy View Post
Nope, it's the same for smartphones as well, it only is 10 dollars a GB for iphones. On that note, sprint is actually not that bad, I get about 1mbps average on VM which uses sprints 3g and I can get up to 2.6mbps during off hours. And their 4g while not in many cities is actually pretty good when you can use it. I mean if you are fine with 2GB and you can stay under more power to you but for a very large number of people it's essentially highway robbery.
And I get 4.5 Mbps on AT&T 3G, see my point now? since 8/3/10 my phone has used 4.3 GB of cellular data.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 930 [4.33 Ghz] EVGA X58 SLI LE EVGA GTS 450 [SLI] 6 GB DDR 3 OCZ 1600 [1T-7-8-7-18 @ 1474] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Vertex 2 [120 GB] + 4x WD Green 2 TB [Raid1] Samsung BD-R [12x] Microsoft Windows 7 Pro [x64] [3] Samsung SyncMaster 2233sw 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
I-rocks Corsair HX650 [650W] Lian Li PC K62 Logi 
Mouse Pad
Metallica 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 930 [4.33 Ghz] EVGA X58 SLI LE EVGA GTS 450 [SLI] 6 GB DDR 3 OCZ 1600 [1T-7-8-7-18 @ 1474] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Vertex 2 [120 GB] + 4x WD Green 2 TB [Raid1] Samsung BD-R [12x] Microsoft Windows 7 Pro [x64] [3] Samsung SyncMaster 2233sw 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
I-rocks Corsair HX650 [650W] Lian Li PC K62 Logi 
Mouse Pad
Metallica 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdla4ever View Post
And I get 4.5 Mbps on AT&T 3G, see my point now? since 8/3/10 my phone has used 4.3 GB of cellular data.
I don't see the need for more than 1mbps on a phone outside of videos or other things, especially since you clearly don't use it for anything that requires that speed. I admit it is nice speed, but I sure as hell would never go to at&t for it.
3930k
(20 items)
 
  
Reply
3930k
(20 items)
 
  
Reply
post #30 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by scyy View Post
I don't see the need for more than 1mbps on a phone, especially since you clearly don't use it for anything that requires that speed.
I do like to not wait for a download to finish so speed is important. Did I mention I am constantly on my phone? I just do not stream videos that often

Anyways, the the better problem here about caps is on home internet, because truth be told few smartphone users outside of OCN hit their cap ever.

Home internet needs to have a infrastructure rebuild, so 4G speeds do not out pace the speeds of our home internet. And no I will not pay for Fios ever
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 930 [4.33 Ghz] EVGA X58 SLI LE EVGA GTS 450 [SLI] 6 GB DDR 3 OCZ 1600 [1T-7-8-7-18 @ 1474] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Vertex 2 [120 GB] + 4x WD Green 2 TB [Raid1] Samsung BD-R [12x] Microsoft Windows 7 Pro [x64] [3] Samsung SyncMaster 2233sw 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
I-rocks Corsair HX650 [650W] Lian Li PC K62 Logi 
Mouse Pad
Metallica 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 930 [4.33 Ghz] EVGA X58 SLI LE EVGA GTS 450 [SLI] 6 GB DDR 3 OCZ 1600 [1T-7-8-7-18 @ 1474] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Vertex 2 [120 GB] + 4x WD Green 2 TB [Raid1] Samsung BD-R [12x] Microsoft Windows 7 Pro [x64] [3] Samsung SyncMaster 2233sw 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
I-rocks Corsair HX650 [650W] Lian Li PC K62 Logi 
Mouse Pad
Metallica 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [RS] AT&T’s secret loophole: If you want out of an Internet contract, just curse