Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › Help doesnt even begin to describe what i need
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help doesnt even begin to describe what i need

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
Short Version - Getting Boot MGR missing on Win 7 x64, and cant use recovery disc because it says that its not compatible,and it cant load any drivers.

Long version - Built my step dad a new computer, but he had some stuff on his old hard drive so i took that out and put it in, then he said he wanted to take the HDD out of his external 500gb HDD and use it as a secondary storage drive on top of his 1tb F3 and his old maxtor 270gb from his old computer + his 40gb SSD, right......., so i take out the 500gb HDD and put it in my computer because coincidentally im selling my coputer TOMOROW so i need a spot to put my files on, when i put it in it told me that i needed to format it for it to work, so i call up steve(my Step father) and ask if i can format it, he said that he has stuff on there thats not on his 270gb so i cant, OK so then i tried to find out how to make windows see the files without formatting it, and in doing so i think i messed up the windows boot stuff because whenever i try to boot into my boot drive (its a RAID0 set of 2 Wd640's) i get the error and cant do anything. So i put in my win 7 disc (which contains X86 and X64 versions.......) and went into repair my system, got there it did its lil loading thing and when i went to select an OS to repair it says that its not compatible with the version on the disc, then i go to load the drivers for my disc but it says that the drivers arent for my disc, i then went into CMD and typed in EVERYTHING I COULD i went to every site and typer alot of thigs (too many to list em all) but a few are bootrec /fixmbr bootrec /fixboot and alot of ren BCD_BCD

So i currently am using the old 270gb and plugged into my machine as a drive to use but this is the ONLY working drive in the house because steves old comp it trash and his new one has no OS and mines fubar, so for the love of god can anyone help me fix this stupid problem? Even without a recovery disc?
Oppress This!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 2 X4 B55BE @ 3.7 ASUS M4A89GTD-PRO USB3 GTX 470 + GTX 275 SOC 4gb Crucial Ballistix T 1600 6-8-6-20-24 1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2xWD640AAHLS + Hitachi 2TB 7200RPM + 2x150gb VRapt HP IDE + LG SATA Win 7 x64 ult 15" 1024x768 Dell (visually impaired) 
PowerCase
XFX XXX 650w (green fan) Antec 300 (Heavily Modded) 
  hide details  
Reply
Oppress This!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 2 X4 B55BE @ 3.7 ASUS M4A89GTD-PRO USB3 GTX 470 + GTX 275 SOC 4gb Crucial Ballistix T 1600 6-8-6-20-24 1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2xWD640AAHLS + Hitachi 2TB 7200RPM + 2x150gb VRapt HP IDE + LG SATA Win 7 x64 ult 15" 1024x768 Dell (visually impaired) 
PowerCase
XFX XXX 650w (green fan) Antec 300 (Heavily Modded) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 24
Did you set the boot order in bios?
asdf
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Thuban 1090T 4.0Ghz Asus M4N75TD EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Patriot Sector 5 4Gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2*WD Caviar Blue 500Gb Raid 0 Samsung DVD SH-S223 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Benq G2410HD 
PowerCase
Fatal1ty 750w CM Haf 912 
  hide details  
Reply
asdf
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Thuban 1090T 4.0Ghz Asus M4N75TD EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Patriot Sector 5 4Gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2*WD Caviar Blue 500Gb Raid 0 Samsung DVD SH-S223 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Benq G2410HD 
PowerCase
Fatal1ty 750w CM Haf 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by max it View Post
Did you set the boot order in bios?
Thanks for quick response, I tried booting from CD ROM first then having RAID second
RAID FIRST
CD second
270gb first raid second, and EVERYTHING in between except not the 500gb but i dont hink thats the problem because i didnt really do much to it (unless for some reason the MBR is on THAT drive O_o)
Oppress This!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 2 X4 B55BE @ 3.7 ASUS M4A89GTD-PRO USB3 GTX 470 + GTX 275 SOC 4gb Crucial Ballistix T 1600 6-8-6-20-24 1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2xWD640AAHLS + Hitachi 2TB 7200RPM + 2x150gb VRapt HP IDE + LG SATA Win 7 x64 ult 15" 1024x768 Dell (visually impaired) 
PowerCase
XFX XXX 650w (green fan) Antec 300 (Heavily Modded) 
  hide details  
Reply
Oppress This!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 2 X4 B55BE @ 3.7 ASUS M4A89GTD-PRO USB3 GTX 470 + GTX 275 SOC 4gb Crucial Ballistix T 1600 6-8-6-20-24 1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2xWD640AAHLS + Hitachi 2TB 7200RPM + 2x150gb VRapt HP IDE + LG SATA Win 7 x64 ult 15" 1024x768 Dell (visually impaired) 
PowerCase
XFX XXX 650w (green fan) Antec 300 (Heavily Modded) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 24
Can you boot without the 500gb drive?
asdf
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Thuban 1090T 4.0Ghz Asus M4N75TD EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Patriot Sector 5 4Gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2*WD Caviar Blue 500Gb Raid 0 Samsung DVD SH-S223 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Benq G2410HD 
PowerCase
Fatal1ty 750w CM Haf 912 
  hide details  
Reply
asdf
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Thuban 1090T 4.0Ghz Asus M4N75TD EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Patriot Sector 5 4Gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2*WD Caviar Blue 500Gb Raid 0 Samsung DVD SH-S223 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Benq G2410HD 
PowerCase
Fatal1ty 750w CM Haf 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by max it View Post
Can you boot without the 500gb drive?
Currently im booting without the 500gb and only having the 270 and my RAID drives plugged in.
Oppress This!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 2 X4 B55BE @ 3.7 ASUS M4A89GTD-PRO USB3 GTX 470 + GTX 275 SOC 4gb Crucial Ballistix T 1600 6-8-6-20-24 1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2xWD640AAHLS + Hitachi 2TB 7200RPM + 2x150gb VRapt HP IDE + LG SATA Win 7 x64 ult 15" 1024x768 Dell (visually impaired) 
PowerCase
XFX XXX 650w (green fan) Antec 300 (Heavily Modded) 
  hide details  
Reply
Oppress This!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 2 X4 B55BE @ 3.7 ASUS M4A89GTD-PRO USB3 GTX 470 + GTX 275 SOC 4gb Crucial Ballistix T 1600 6-8-6-20-24 1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2xWD640AAHLS + Hitachi 2TB 7200RPM + 2x150gb VRapt HP IDE + LG SATA Win 7 x64 ult 15" 1024x768 Dell (visually impaired) 
PowerCase
XFX XXX 650w (green fan) Antec 300 (Heavily Modded) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 24
can you boot with an Ubuntu drive and transfer the files with that? Then remove the drive and boot and you get your files.

Edit:...why's there so much people reading this?
Edited by max it - 3/31/11 at 7:04pm
asdf
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Thuban 1090T 4.0Ghz Asus M4N75TD EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Patriot Sector 5 4Gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2*WD Caviar Blue 500Gb Raid 0 Samsung DVD SH-S223 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Benq G2410HD 
PowerCase
Fatal1ty 750w CM Haf 912 
  hide details  
Reply
asdf
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Thuban 1090T 4.0Ghz Asus M4N75TD EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Patriot Sector 5 4Gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2*WD Caviar Blue 500Gb Raid 0 Samsung DVD SH-S223 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Benq G2410HD 
PowerCase
Fatal1ty 750w CM Haf 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by max it View Post
can you boot with an Ubuntu drive and transfer the files with that? Then remove the drive and boot and you get your files.
I have a knoppix disc handy but i dont see where i would put all the files because my 500gb isnt even recognized in windows......is there any possibility that i NEED to plug in the 500gb? That would be a ***** because id need to run more cables.
Oppress This!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 2 X4 B55BE @ 3.7 ASUS M4A89GTD-PRO USB3 GTX 470 + GTX 275 SOC 4gb Crucial Ballistix T 1600 6-8-6-20-24 1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2xWD640AAHLS + Hitachi 2TB 7200RPM + 2x150gb VRapt HP IDE + LG SATA Win 7 x64 ult 15" 1024x768 Dell (visually impaired) 
PowerCase
XFX XXX 650w (green fan) Antec 300 (Heavily Modded) 
  hide details  
Reply
Oppress This!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 2 X4 B55BE @ 3.7 ASUS M4A89GTD-PRO USB3 GTX 470 + GTX 275 SOC 4gb Crucial Ballistix T 1600 6-8-6-20-24 1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2xWD640AAHLS + Hitachi 2TB 7200RPM + 2x150gb VRapt HP IDE + LG SATA Win 7 x64 ult 15" 1024x768 Dell (visually impaired) 
PowerCase
XFX XXX 650w (green fan) Antec 300 (Heavily Modded) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoblikat View Post
I have a knoppix disc handy but i dont see where i would put all the files because my 500gb isnt even recognized in windows......is there any possibility that i NEED to plug in the 500gb? That would be a ***** because id need to run more cables.
You misunderstand.
Download linux
Put it onto a usb or cd.
Plug in 500gb hard drive
Put in CD or USB
Boot from CD or USB (if you can)
You can use Ubuntu without installing
Use ubuntu to transfer the files.
asdf
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Thuban 1090T 4.0Ghz Asus M4N75TD EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Patriot Sector 5 4Gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2*WD Caviar Blue 500Gb Raid 0 Samsung DVD SH-S223 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Benq G2410HD 
PowerCase
Fatal1ty 750w CM Haf 912 
  hide details  
Reply
asdf
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Thuban 1090T 4.0Ghz Asus M4N75TD EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Patriot Sector 5 4Gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2*WD Caviar Blue 500Gb Raid 0 Samsung DVD SH-S223 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Benq G2410HD 
PowerCase
Fatal1ty 750w CM Haf 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by max it View Post
You misunderstand.
Download linux
Put it onto a usb or cd.
Plug in 500gb hard drive
Put in CD or USB
Boot from CD or USB (if you can)
You can use Ubuntu without installing
Use ubuntu to transfer the files.
i understand but im not sure that the 500gb will be recognized, because when i was in windows it weould load the drive but i couldnt access it without formatting it completely first, but i do have a knoppix CD that i use occasionaly, but if you think linux will recognize the drive ill give it a try, but im not going to mess up all my cables unless you say theres a good chance that it will work....
Oppress This!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 2 X4 B55BE @ 3.7 ASUS M4A89GTD-PRO USB3 GTX 470 + GTX 275 SOC 4gb Crucial Ballistix T 1600 6-8-6-20-24 1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2xWD640AAHLS + Hitachi 2TB 7200RPM + 2x150gb VRapt HP IDE + LG SATA Win 7 x64 ult 15" 1024x768 Dell (visually impaired) 
PowerCase
XFX XXX 650w (green fan) Antec 300 (Heavily Modded) 
  hide details  
Reply
Oppress This!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 2 X4 B55BE @ 3.7 ASUS M4A89GTD-PRO USB3 GTX 470 + GTX 275 SOC 4gb Crucial Ballistix T 1600 6-8-6-20-24 1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2xWD640AAHLS + Hitachi 2TB 7200RPM + 2x150gb VRapt HP IDE + LG SATA Win 7 x64 ult 15" 1024x768 Dell (visually impaired) 
PowerCase
XFX XXX 650w (green fan) Antec 300 (Heavily Modded) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 24
I don't know if it'll work
But since you got no other ideas...

Why do you need to rearrange cables anyway? Don't you have a DVD drive?
Try booting up without any other drives, just the raid and the 500gb
Edited by max it - 3/31/11 at 7:16pm
asdf
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Thuban 1090T 4.0Ghz Asus M4N75TD EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Patriot Sector 5 4Gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2*WD Caviar Blue 500Gb Raid 0 Samsung DVD SH-S223 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Benq G2410HD 
PowerCase
Fatal1ty 750w CM Haf 912 
  hide details  
Reply
asdf
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Thuban 1090T 4.0Ghz Asus M4N75TD EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Patriot Sector 5 4Gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2*WD Caviar Blue 500Gb Raid 0 Samsung DVD SH-S223 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Benq G2410HD 
PowerCase
Fatal1ty 750w CM Haf 912 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hard Drives & Storage
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › Help doesnt even begin to describe what i need