Overclock.net banner

Sapphire 6970 with key option?

2K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  Piotru26 
#1 ·
Is anyone aware of any differences between this card and the stock reference Sapphire 6970?

It's cheaper than the reference version by a few bucks and there is no Battlefield bundle version of it available.

Other than the slightly different cooler and blue PCB (and the wierd key hole), I haven't been able to find any spec differences.

Thoughts?

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?leg=&psn=000101&pid=1081

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtluongo;12959587
link isnt working for me?
Works for me, direct link to Sapphire product page

#5 ·
Anyone?

This is what I sent to Sapphire and their response, not much help. No idea if the Sapphire cooler is better than reference or what the keylock is for.

They are the same card except one of them is using the ATI reference design fan unit and the other one is using Sapphire design, but both cards has the same feature and function off the card.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2011-4-2 [00:36]

I am in the process of buying two 6970's. When looking at the Sapphire cards, I noted that there are the standard reference cooled cards (some with a game bundle) and there is a card that has a different cooler and a key slot on the cover. I have not been able to find any information about this card (including on your website) as to how it differs from the reference cooled card. It is slightly cheaper as well. Can you please provide me with a detailed explanation of how it differs from the reference card?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe63
View Post

I think there was a review out on this. I found this thread but not much info.

http://www.overclock.net/hardware-ne...6970-card.html

I read through that thread, lots of speculation, no facts

It's either a switch to provide a higher overclock

A bios level switch to provide a higher overclock (perhaps with a voltage increase), ala dual bios chips.

Or as suggested, an unlocking mechanism to easily remove the shroud for cleaning purposes.

Other than that I have no idea. I sent another inquiry to Sapphire so lets hope I get an actual useful response.

To be clear though, this card is actually cheaper than the reference Sapphire card.

#8 ·
Anyone have this card in hand?

#10 ·
This guy has one.

The main difference (as far as I know) is that this card uses the revision 2 PCB design which is being used on all non-reference 6900 cards (except MSI/ASUS/Gigabyte who use their own) and the VRMs and stuff are better so theoretically this card should overclock better than "reference" (1st pcb) cards and I say this because all non-ref 69xx cards with the new PCB design overclock better than the reference ones (brown PCB)

The heat sink is the same but the fan is different and it's quieter than the fan used on the reference one and when on full speed doesn't make that distinctive ear-piercing sound like the ones on the reference ones. Keep in mind this card doesn't have a backplate but it's useless since there is nothing on the rear to cool and is there only for looks and possibly protection. I think it's also slightly smaller due to the different shroud (which doesn't "hang" over the edge like ref model).

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razi3l;12986343
This guy has one.

The main difference is (as far as I know) is that this card uses the revision 2 PCB design which is being used on all non-reference 6900 cards (except MSI/ASUS/Gigabyte who use their own) and the VRMs and stuff are better so theoretically this card should overclock better than "reference" (1st pcb) cards and I say this because all non-ref 69xx cards with the new PCB design overclock better than the reference ones (brown PCB)

The heat sink is the same but the fan is different and it's quieter than the fan used on the reference one and when on full speed doesn't make that distinctive ear-piercing sound like the ones on the reference ones. Keep in mind this card doesn't have a backplate but it's useless since there is nothing on the rear to cool and is there only for looks and possibly protection. I think it's also slightly smaller due to the different shroud (which doesn't "hang" over the edge like ref model).
Excellent response thanks
wink.gif

#12 ·
Hmmm ... so ... a reference waterblock won't work with these cards ... must be a non-reference. Correct?

EK has V1 and V2 versions of the blocks ...

#13 ·
That's right, these cards are non-reference.

They have all the good things from reference (Voltage control and dual bios switch) but they do not fit the reference blocks as far as I know.

I have one of these black cooler cards, and I love it, it is way quieter than the reference Sapphire

Basically, the PRO's about this card are:

- Quieter cooler
- Better quality VRM's
- Looks better (In my opinion)
- Cheaper

Robilar, if you have any questions about it, let me know, I'll be glad to help you (As far as my knowledge goes).

#15 ·
Well... i got a response from Sapphire saying that this custom pcb does NOT have dual bios ...

I really can't know if that's true or not ... but i'm receiving the cards monday and i will take the coolers to see if my reference blocks work or if i just need the EK V2 ones ...

I think that even Sapphire can't give a clear answer ... i already got 2 different answers from them

A) The PCB is the same as reference with all features but different color

B) The PCB it's a custom PCB without Dual bios ...

One was a direct mail to Sapphire the second was a support ticket ...

Hmmmm :x

#16 ·
I got this card as a replacement for my damaged HD5870.

I'm not happy because the cooler is very loud in comparison to my old card.
I cannot imagine that reference cards are even louder.

So I want to change the cooler and buy http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/vga/376/accelero-xtreme-plus-ii.html?c=2182

Do you think that I'm able to install it on this card?

And one more question. Is there any seal on this card? I have to broke a seal (and loose guarantee) to install Accelero?

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotru26
View Post

I got this card as a replacement for my damaged HD5870.

I'm not happy because the cooler is very loud in comparison to my old card.
I cannot imagine that reference cards are even louder.

One more thing. I just realize that my HD 6970 is too hot!!!
In Idle (Windows 7 desktop) I have from 55 to 60 Celcius degrees. I guess it is to much. What should I check before I will send it back to service?

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotru26
View Post

One more thing. I just realize that my HD 6970 is too hot!!!
In Idle (Windows 7 desktop) I have from 55 to 60 Celcius degrees. I guess it is to much. What should I check before I will send it back to service?

How many monitors are you running?

If 2 or more then that's completely normal, keep in mind they need more voltage and speed to maintain the image on more than 1 monitor.

If you only use 1 monitor make sure the card is at 250MHz/150MHz clocks.

Those temps sound right if you're on multi-monitor though, keep in mind the HD6970 runs a bit hotter than the HD5870.

#22 ·
As far as I'm aware there is no seal, so even if you do install an aftermarket cooler and then revert back, they shouldn't know unless you physically modified something that can't be reverted back. I've removed reference coolers on Sapphire cards before and haven't seen any "warranty void if removed" sticker over the screws like XFX or Palit, so you should be fine.

#23 ·
Ok, I checked and I have no seals.

So final question, especially to the people who already opened card cover and install i.e. water blocks.
Do you think that I'm able to install Accelero Extreme Plus or newer version Extreme Plus II? http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/vg...ii.html?c=2182.
I'm asking about it because of potential differences between reference HD6970 and our Sapphire card. Please take a look into the product gallery from the link I put above.

Regards

Piter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.