Overclock.net banner

GTX480 OC Sanctuary - Is This Normal?

3K views 76 replies 23 participants last post by  Nytehawk 
#1 ·
I recently ordered a GTX570 for a great price because I thought its benefits were all Bi-Winning. Cooling, Sound, Load......Power?

I wish there were some tests out there that studied the 570/480 clock for clock. Anyways, I wanted to know what my overclocked 480 (800/2000) was like stacked against the 580 and 570. I ran the Unigine Sanctuary benchmark with all options ticked @ 1080p so I could compare it to the charts from Tom's.

Except now I'm confused. Is my OC'd 480 more powerful than the stock 580?
I thought the 570 was supposed to just barely make it to 580 levels with a lot of overclocking, yet I see my 480 surpass it. Am I making the wrong choice to switch to the 570? If someone with a mild or stable OC on their 570 could run Sanctuary at these settings, I would appreciate some results to compare with. My 570 is still in the box, or else I would do it myself. Let me know if I should send it back or sell it.

Tom's Charts for Unigine Sanctuary.

sanctuary.jpg

See less See more
#4 ·
On water, my 480 runs right past the 580. Of course, things would be different if the 580 was on water also.

(@ stock, 580 gets ~X2000 in 3DMark 11, and my overclocked 480 gets X2200)

In other words, I think you made the wrong choice on the switch. There's nothing out yet that warrants an upgrade from a 480, unless you want SLI.

#7 ·
Performance wise there is no reason to switch to a 570 from a 480. The 570 even has less Vram.

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ight;12998674
My MSi 480 under water @920 smokes almost all OC'd 570s, any stock 580, and most moderately OC'd 580s.
wave2.gif
cheers.gif

In otherwords, that $350 you spent on a 570 could have been used to buy water cooling setup for your 480, and you'd have money left over and a card that can run circles around the 570 and 580.
Quote:
What is your voltage Devil?
1.138V; it's the highest AfterBurner will let me go, until I get around to editing the BIOS for my card. If I could go higher, there's no doubt I could get my card to 950-975+

#12 ·
Only thing that's really a step up from the 480 is the 580. Same size frame buffer and some more CUDA cores.

Going from one 480 CUDA card to another and losing a quarter gig of memory in the process isn't really an upgrade. And while yes the noise, cooling and power may seem like upgrades it's really not worth it.

You made a sidegrade. Return the card you got a get a watercooling setup for the card. Hell even a cheap XSPC Rasa 240 kit would cool your 480 given you buy a block for it.

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by donrapello;12999065
13zpgzn.png

A quick test with my gtx 570 @ 800 and 950mhz.
Why was your card not even taxed during that run? afterburner says your fan wasn't above 42% and it barely increased in temps. Under water?

Wow, anyone want to explain that one to me? Those are the same clocks I am using, after all.

Great run, thank you.

#18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by donrapello;12999144
Indeed.. seems pretty weird. 480 vs 570 should be pretty similar.. ?
Not to mention you're killing the 580.

Lol, you're not making my choice easy, I can still refuse delivery on my 570, or sell my 480.

#19 ·
This may be off topic but I was really looking towards getting the 570gtx until I read this thread, I have noticed though that the new 560TI looks promising for overclocking and matches and performs better in some area than the 570GTX. Any thoughts on the 560TI? I am looking to do the step-up program with EVGA, and have 12 days to decide. I currently have the 470GTX, looking for the best ban for the buck not to make world records.

#20 ·
Please see this thread.

http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/929558-gtx-570-gtx-480-official.html

Us 480 owners united to defeat the evil 570.

Sarcasm aside I agree with the member that said to get watercooling for your 480, not only will it unleash the 480, it will last you through all your builds after the initial investment and offers greater cooling then air.

#21 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytehawk;12999230
Not to mention you're killing the 580.

Lol, you're not making my choice easy, I can still refuse delivery on my 570, or sell my 480.
Yeah, i'm using an EK waterblock in my Gtx 570 that's why that fan speed is what it is.

Temps usually don't even hit that much when i'm gaming. My Gtx is a pretty decent overclocker to hit 900mhz stable @ 1.05v. 925 @ 1.063v. Those are Afterburner volts thought.. Gpu-Z shows a bit lower even on load.

I haven't even tried does it go higher than that. I really don't wanna kill this card
biggrin.gif

#22 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by donrapello;12999325
Yeah, i'm using an EK waterblock in my Gtx 570 that's why that fan speed is what it is.

Temps usually don't even hit that much when i'm gaming. My Gtx is a pretty decent overclocker to hit 900mhz stable @ 1.05v. 925 @ 1.063v. Those are Afterburner volts thought.. Gpu-Z shows a bit lower even on load.

I haven't even tried does it go higher than that. I really don't wanna kill this card
biggrin.gif
That 8 or 9 degree increase must be nice when gaming for hours in the summer, VS my 83* personal heater. But still, Mhz are Mhz and for comparable cards, yours blows most everything out of the water.

#24 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytehawk;12999457
That 8 or 9 degree increase must be nice when gaming for hours in the summer, VS my 83* personal heater. But still, Mhz are Mhz and for comparable cards, yours blows most everything out of the water.
Yeah, i'm pretty satisfied with this one.
It usually idles around 29-31c. Bad Company 2 hit temps to 45-46c. I guess i could get better temps if i had more powerful fans in my rad or a push/pull system. My temps are still fine for me and it ain't that loud
biggrin.gif

#25 ·
Something really was fishy about my first runs. Did i forgot some option or was the bench bugging somehow.. dunno. But this time i got pretty much the same results as you did @ 800mhz.

Results with 950Mhz this time:

FPS:
Scores:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:

So my first runs were screwed up. There shouldn't be advantage againts 480 with a 570. Still, pretty nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.