Overclock.net banner

Which 750w PSU to get?

2K views 39 replies 17 participants last post by  TwoCables 
#1 ·
All of these PSU's are in the same price range and all have positive reviews, I'm stumped.

Corsair TX750 v2
XFX 750 Black Edition
Antec TP-750
Antec HCG-750 (Will match my red case theme!)

I am also contemplating spending a little extra on the Corsair CMPSU-750HX for what seems to be the most reasonably priced and highest rated modular PSU.

Opinions?

#2 ·
Out of all those, I think the TP-750 wins because not only is it the best value, but it gives the HX750 a big run for its money by performing almost at the same level. The only downside of the TP-750 in comparison to the HX750 is that it isn't as modular.

#3 ·
I have to vouch for the Antec TP 750w.

#4 ·
The XFX Black Edition is the best performer there, on par with the HX750 but cheaper.

I think everyone else is confusing it with the Core Edition, which is the same internals as the TXv2.

#6 ·
The HX750/XFX BE 750 are quite a lot better than the TP-750, but the TP-750 is *probably* the better value.

#7 ·
The ST75F-P is a good unit, about on par with the Corsair in performance. Its main advantage is being fully modular.

The PC P&C isn't worth it a all, maybe if it was $110.

• Rep+
Reactions: Nickzorz91
#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zackcy
View Post

Sorry, I'm just relaying 6/10 replies I've gotten to every PSU thread in which I wanted advice on buying a PSU.

You received poor advice then

Don't misunderstand me -- Corsair units are all at least OK, and they do have some of the best units available, but there are often far better values to be had from other brands.

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zackcy
View Post

Sorry, I'm just relaying 6/10 replies I've gotten to every PSU thread in which I wanted advice on buying a PSU.

It's not just about the brands; instead, it's about the specific units from each brand and/or manufacturer. There are way too many people here on OCN right now who just make generic recommendations like, "You can't go wrong if you go with this brand or that brand!".

For example, there are many who say that you can't go wrong if you get any Antec PSU. Well, unfortunately this isn't true because this would lead people to believe that even their Basiq ("BP") units are good quality units.

The same is true regarding Thermaltake. Their "TR2" units are a waste of money, but their Toughpower units are actually nice.

Or OCZ: I don't even consider them when I make my personal recommendations.

I think the same is even true for Corsair: I think the only units they have that are worth buying these days are their newer TX series, their HX series (of course), and quite naturally their AX series. I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending the rest, especially considering what else is available on the market.

However, I think the best example is Rosewill: as far as I know, every Rosewill PSU should be avoided except for the Green Series. If I remember correctly, it is comprised of SeaSonic S12II units or something along those lines (SeaSonic made at least - these PSUs have "S12" in their model names). It's almost like they decided to have some fun with us and ending up making a quality series of PSUs with a misleading name that could make some people think that it's just more junk when it really isn't!!

I think there are other good examples, but that's what I mean when I say that it's not just about the brand name; specific units have to be considered.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

However, I think the best example is Rosewill: as far as I know, every Rosewill PSU should be avoided except for the Green Series which, if I remember correctly, is comprised of SeaSonic S12II units or something along those lines (SeaSonic made at least - these PSUs have "S12" in their model names). It's almost like they decided to have some fun with us and ending up making a quality series of PSUs with a misleading name that could make some people think that it's just more junk when it really isn't!!

Just FYI, the Rosewill Green series has nothing to do with SeaSonic -- they're made by ATNG.

#17 ·
Nope. Rosewill currently uses units from ATNG, Sirfa, and I think they have a Superflower unit now? In the past they also used Solytech, and back in they day when they were total crap they used Youngyear, Deer, and Wintech.

The only modern Rosewill units I'd say to avoid are the RV2 units and other budget series. They're aren't terrible, but they are pretty mediocre.

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129
View Post

Nope. Rosewill currently uses units from ATNG, Sirfa, and I think they have a Superflower unit now?

Yeah, the Lightning 800W and 1000W, Super Flower Golden Green units. They put so many LEDs on them though, they look like Christmas trees

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

Then what's up with the Green Series? Are they good or not? How do they rate?

They're pretty good budget units. The "S12" stands for "Single +12V rail".

I'd rate them below SeaSonic S12II, but not hugely below.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.