Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Firstbuilder, I need your advice :D
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Firstbuilder, I need your advice :D

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
After a lot of research I got these parts for my Sandy Bridge gaming build:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 124.90€
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 PRO R.3.0 169.90€
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-2500K 184.90€
GPU: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6950 229.90€
RAM: G.Skill DIMM 8 GB DDR3-1600 Kit (F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL, RipjawsX) 74.90€
Hard Drive: Seagate ST32000641AS 2 TB 142.90€
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-650TXV2 74.90€
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 24.99€

That adds up to 1.050.28 Euros and that's already 50.28€ over my budget, but whatever ;D. Can you guys give me any comments? Did I make any really bad mistakes? Something that I should really change?

I want to unlock the GPU to a 6970 and overclock everything as much as it is reasonable. I'm also thinking about upgrading the build with a second SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6950 in the future and crossfire them. Is my current PSU enough for one GPU and overclocking everything? How much watt would I need for two unlocked 6950s and a highly overclocked system?

Thanks in advance =D
post #2 of 22
You're really overpaying for the Hard drive IMO. I would look at a Spinpoint F3 or a Caviar Black.

Everything else looks pretty nice.
If you want to do 6950 crossfire later I would recommend going with a 750 watt or larger PSU.
    
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3630QM HD 7970M HD 7970M 2x4GB 1333MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M4 256GB mSata Seagate Momentus 750GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500GB DVD Burner 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 64-Bit Ultimate 17.3" 1920x1080 Matte Screen Auria 27" 2560x1440 Back-lit Clevo Keyboard 
Power
330 Watt Power *BRICK*! 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3630QM HD 7970M HD 7970M 2x4GB 1333MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M4 256GB mSata Seagate Momentus 750GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500GB DVD Burner 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 64-Bit Ultimate 17.3" 1920x1080 Matte Screen Auria 27" 2560x1440 Back-lit Clevo Keyboard 
Power
330 Watt Power *BRICK*! 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 22
I would think a good 850psu , if you want to upgrade to crossfire and overclock in the future ( just my opinion) I would get a wd black or a samsung f3 hdd(if it were me ) LOOKS GOOD!!!
Edited by MIKEVALL - 4/5/11 at 1:12pm
BIG DADDY!!!!!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7-950 @ 4.0ghz HT EVGA-Classified-3 EVGA GTX-580 6GB Corsair Dom 2000MHZ 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
120GB Corsair Force-SSD--2TB-WD-BLACK windows7-HP Lg 24 inch RAZER. BLACKWIDOW ULTIMATE 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair-AX1200 HAF-X-942 RAZER-LACHESIS-5600 Steelseries QCK 
  hide details  
Reply
BIG DADDY!!!!!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7-950 @ 4.0ghz HT EVGA-Classified-3 EVGA GTX-580 6GB Corsair Dom 2000MHZ 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
120GB Corsair Force-SSD--2TB-WD-BLACK windows7-HP Lg 24 inch RAZER. BLACKWIDOW ULTIMATE 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair-AX1200 HAF-X-942 RAZER-LACHESIS-5600 Steelseries QCK 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 22
6950 Power Usage

Well, you're looking at 400W for a dual-6950 setup, just for the GPUs.
Rosemari
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 @ 4.0 GHz|1.26250v Asus P6T deluxe V2 XFX AMD Radeon 6950 2GB RF 12 GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD 1 TB Caviar Black 7200 RPM Win 7 64-bit Asus 24" 1080p Corsair TX 750W 
Case
Thermaltake Xaser VI 
  hide details  
Reply
Rosemari
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 @ 4.0 GHz|1.26250v Asus P6T deluxe V2 XFX AMD Radeon 6950 2GB RF 12 GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD 1 TB Caviar Black 7200 RPM Win 7 64-bit Asus 24" 1080p Corsair TX 750W 
Case
Thermaltake Xaser VI 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 22
Build looks very good, I'd get a Spinpoint HDD though. Besides that, good job.

If you really want to OC everything as much as possible, you COULD consider changing the Cooler to a Noctua NH-D14. Words cannot express how amazing that thing is.

For two 6950s, and an OC'ed 2500K (let's say you have it at 4.5), 650W is not going to be sufficient. I would go with an 850, or if you really want to be safe, go with a 950.
Literally da bes
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|Intel| i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz - 1.345v |ASRock| P67 Extreme4 Gen3 |MSI| GTX 970 Gaming 4GB |GSkill| Sniper Low Voltage 8GB DDR3 @ 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
|Samsung| Spinpoint F3 1TB |Kingston| HyperX 3K 128GB BD-ROM |Cooler Master| Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorPowerCase
|Microsoft| Win7 Professional 64-bit |ASUS| VH236H |Corsair| TX650 v2 |Corsair| Carbide 400R 
MouseMouse PadAudio
|Cooler Master| Storm Spawn |RAZER| Goliathus Speed |Creative| Insprire T10 
  hide details  
Reply
Literally da bes
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|Intel| i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz - 1.345v |ASRock| P67 Extreme4 Gen3 |MSI| GTX 970 Gaming 4GB |GSkill| Sniper Low Voltage 8GB DDR3 @ 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
|Samsung| Spinpoint F3 1TB |Kingston| HyperX 3K 128GB BD-ROM |Cooler Master| Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorPowerCase
|Microsoft| Win7 Professional 64-bit |ASUS| VH236H |Corsair| TX650 v2 |Corsair| Carbide 400R 
MouseMouse PadAudio
|Cooler Master| Storm Spawn |RAZER| Goliathus Speed |Creative| Insprire T10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 22
Thread Starter 
Thank you for your quick replys =D.

Yeah I thought so that 650W obviously isn't enough for both GPUs (; so what I'm actually deciding on right now is should I just go for a PSU with much watt right now or should I buy one with less watt and later when I really decide to get a second 6950 a really good one D:? Because the second GPU plan is still one of this "maybe later if I have the money and if it's really worth it" plans... ;D.

The 850W Corsair v2 is just 30 bucks more so if 850W would be enough for everything I would just go with that one.

Thanks for the suggestion about the hard drive. I just looked at the Samsung HD204UI 2 TB (Spinpoint F4 EcoGreen) and it's just 69.90€ Euros. The only thing that is bothering me is the 5400 rpm thing, but I read somewhere that it has something "special" that makes it just as fast as the 7200 rpm drives? Is that true? So should I go with it?

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible View Post
If you really want to OC everything as much as possible, you COULD consider changing the Cooler to a Noctua NH-D14. Words cannot express how amazing that thing is.
The Noctua is 75€ for me, that's more than two times the price of the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus D:. Is it really worth that much?
Edited by Smarag - 4/5/11 at 1:37pm
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarag View Post
Thank you for your quick replys =D.

Yeah I thought so that 650W obviously isn't enough for both GPUs (; so what I'm actually deciding on right now is should I just go for a PSU with much watt right now or should I buy one with less watt and later when I really decide to get a second 6950 a really good one D:? Because the second GPU plan is still one of this "maybe later if I have the money and if it's really worth it" plans... ;D.

The 850W Corsair v2 is just 30 bucks more so if 850W would be enough for everything I would just go with that one.

Thanks for the suggestion about the hard drive. I just looked at the Samsung HD204UI 2 TB (Spinpoint F4 EcoGreen) and it's just 69.90€ Euros. The only thing that is bothering me is the 5400 rpm thing, but I read somewhere that it has something "special" that makes it just as fast as the 7200 rpm drives? Is that true? So should I go with it?
We were talking about this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarag View Post
The Noctua is 75€ for me, that's more than two times the price of the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus D:. Is it really worth that much?
The Noctua is a behemoth of a cooler. It is pretty much the best thing next to water cooling. If you do not want to spend that much money though, the 212 is absolutely amazing for its price. You will not be disappointed with it at all. Refer to this thread for a very well put together comparison by a fellow OCN member "Baldy" between these two coolers.
Literally da bes
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|Intel| i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz - 1.345v |ASRock| P67 Extreme4 Gen3 |MSI| GTX 970 Gaming 4GB |GSkill| Sniper Low Voltage 8GB DDR3 @ 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
|Samsung| Spinpoint F3 1TB |Kingston| HyperX 3K 128GB BD-ROM |Cooler Master| Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorPowerCase
|Microsoft| Win7 Professional 64-bit |ASUS| VH236H |Corsair| TX650 v2 |Corsair| Carbide 400R 
MouseMouse PadAudio
|Cooler Master| Storm Spawn |RAZER| Goliathus Speed |Creative| Insprire T10 
  hide details  
Reply
Literally da bes
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|Intel| i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz - 1.345v |ASRock| P67 Extreme4 Gen3 |MSI| GTX 970 Gaming 4GB |GSkill| Sniper Low Voltage 8GB DDR3 @ 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
|Samsung| Spinpoint F3 1TB |Kingston| HyperX 3K 128GB BD-ROM |Cooler Master| Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorPowerCase
|Microsoft| Win7 Professional 64-bit |ASUS| VH236H |Corsair| TX650 v2 |Corsair| Carbide 400R 
MouseMouse PadAudio
|Cooler Master| Storm Spawn |RAZER| Goliathus Speed |Creative| Insprire T10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 22
Thread Starter 
Thank you guys I think my current CPU cooler should be enough ;D and I will get the Spinpoint F3 instead of my current one, it's only 49€ for me :D. I also think I will go with the HAF 932 advanced.

What I'm still thinking about is the PSU. The 950W TX Corsair PSU is 144€. Will 950W be enough for two unlocked 6950s and overclocking? I don't want to go ALL out with overclocking, because I don't want to kill the hardware too quickly, but I would still like to overclock a lot D:.
Edited by Smarag - 4/7/11 at 1:27pm
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarag View Post
Thank you guys I think my current CPU cooler should be enough ;D and I will get the Spinpoint F3 instead of my current one, it's only 49€ for me :D. I also think I will go with the HAF 932 advanced.

What I'm still thinking about is the PSU. The 950W TX Corsair PSU is 144€. Will 950W be enough for two unlocked 6950s and overclocking? I don't want to go ALL out with overclocking, because I don't want to kill the hardware too quickly, but I would still like to overclock a lot D:.
950 is too much for you build. I would go with 750 personally, just in case you want to max out OC'ing in the future around 5GHz. Heck, you could probably even go with a 650.
Edited by Invisible - 4/7/11 at 1:58pm
Literally da bes
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|Intel| i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz - 1.345v |ASRock| P67 Extreme4 Gen3 |MSI| GTX 970 Gaming 4GB |GSkill| Sniper Low Voltage 8GB DDR3 @ 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
|Samsung| Spinpoint F3 1TB |Kingston| HyperX 3K 128GB BD-ROM |Cooler Master| Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorPowerCase
|Microsoft| Win7 Professional 64-bit |ASUS| VH236H |Corsair| TX650 v2 |Corsair| Carbide 400R 
MouseMouse PadAudio
|Cooler Master| Storm Spawn |RAZER| Goliathus Speed |Creative| Insprire T10 
  hide details  
Reply
Literally da bes
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|Intel| i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz - 1.345v |ASRock| P67 Extreme4 Gen3 |MSI| GTX 970 Gaming 4GB |GSkill| Sniper Low Voltage 8GB DDR3 @ 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
|Samsung| Spinpoint F3 1TB |Kingston| HyperX 3K 128GB BD-ROM |Cooler Master| Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorPowerCase
|Microsoft| Win7 Professional 64-bit |ASUS| VH236H |Corsair| TX650 v2 |Corsair| Carbide 400R 
MouseMouse PadAudio
|Cooler Master| Storm Spawn |RAZER| Goliathus Speed |Creative| Insprire T10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible View Post
950 is too much for you build. I would go with 750 personally, just in case you want to max out OC'ing in the future around 5GHz. Heck, you could probably even go with a 650.
But what about two unlocked 6950s? What I want to know is if 950W will be enough for a crossfire setup? ;D
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Firstbuilder, I need your advice :D