Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › 6950 CFX Questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

6950 CFX Questions

post #1 of 36
Thread Starter 
Hello people

My parts are coming in tomorrow so I am here to ask some questions and get my 'research' done.

I have two Reference MSI 6950's on the way as well as a U3011. I haven't been on the red team since my 2600XT so I need some help here.

First off, what drivers are best for CFX 6950 right now? Coming from green team, I am used to using most updated drivers always, however I remember red cards sometimes run better on older drivers that are more stable.

What is the best method to deal with unlocking the shaders? As far as I have discovered, you can simply unlock the shaders and leave it as a 6950 or you can unlock it to a full 6970 (clocks + shaders). If I read correctly, there are potential problems with artifacts from messing around with the voltage and the memory clocks. I would like some clarification/advice in this area.

Hoping the red team treats me well here, and hopefully glad to be back ^.-

Thanks for the help in advance, I know this is a popular topic and probably boring!
Bare Essentials
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930 @ 4.0 GHz ASUS P6X58D Premium MSI 6950 2 GB CFX (shaders unlocked) Corsair XMS3 8 GB (4GB x2) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD Win7 Home Premium 64 bit Samsung S27A950D OCN Ducky (Browns) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra X3 1000W CoolerMaster HAF X CoolerMaster Storm Spawn Puretrak Talent 
  hide details  
Reply
Bare Essentials
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930 @ 4.0 GHz ASUS P6X58D Premium MSI 6950 2 GB CFX (shaders unlocked) Corsair XMS3 8 GB (4GB x2) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD Win7 Home Premium 64 bit Samsung S27A950D OCN Ducky (Browns) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra X3 1000W CoolerMaster HAF X CoolerMaster Storm Spawn Puretrak Talent 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahBlahBlah View Post
Hello people

My parts are coming in tomorrow so I am here to ask some questions and get my 'research' done.

I have two Reference MSI 6950's on the way as well as a U3011. I haven't been on the red team since my 2600XT so I need some help here.

First off, what drivers are best for CFX 6950 right now? Coming from green team, I am used to using most updated drivers always, however I remember red cards sometimes run better on older drivers that are more stable.

What is the best method to deal with unlocking the shaders? As far as I have discovered, you can simply unlock the shaders and leave it as a 6950 or you can unlock it to a full 6970 (clocks + shaders). If I read correctly, there are potential problems with artifacts from messing around with the voltage and the memory clocks. I would like some clarification/advice in this area.

Hoping the red team treats me well here, and hopefully glad to be back ^.-

Thanks for the help in advance, I know this is a popular topic and probably boring!
I would just update to the latest drivers and if you have any problems with them just downgrade them. Simple as that. **Headbanging to Skrillex!!**
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 650 @ 4.0GHz [1.36V] Gigabyte H55N-USB3 Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 @ 1GHz 1000/1200 [1.28V] G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB @ 6-8-7-24-1T 1280Mhz [1.66V] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Seagate 160GB & WD 160GB Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit x3 Acer S211HLBD 21.5" Kingwin Lazer 750W 
Case
Antec 902 V3 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 650 @ 4.0GHz [1.36V] Gigabyte H55N-USB3 Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 @ 1GHz 1000/1200 [1.28V] G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB @ 6-8-7-24-1T 1280Mhz [1.66V] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Seagate 160GB & WD 160GB Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit x3 Acer S211HLBD 21.5" Kingwin Lazer 750W 
Case
Antec 902 V3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipr3 View Post
I would just update to the latest drivers and if you have any problems with them just downgrade them. Simple as that. **Headbanging to Skrillex!!**
Thanks for the drivers advice

About the other part, what are people recommending now?

Is it best to leave them as 6950 and OC them heavy? Best to unlock shaders then light OC to be safe? Full on 6970 BIOS?
Bare Essentials
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930 @ 4.0 GHz ASUS P6X58D Premium MSI 6950 2 GB CFX (shaders unlocked) Corsair XMS3 8 GB (4GB x2) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD Win7 Home Premium 64 bit Samsung S27A950D OCN Ducky (Browns) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra X3 1000W CoolerMaster HAF X CoolerMaster Storm Spawn Puretrak Talent 
  hide details  
Reply
Bare Essentials
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930 @ 4.0 GHz ASUS P6X58D Premium MSI 6950 2 GB CFX (shaders unlocked) Corsair XMS3 8 GB (4GB x2) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD Win7 Home Premium 64 bit Samsung S27A950D OCN Ducky (Browns) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra X3 1000W CoolerMaster HAF X CoolerMaster Storm Spawn Puretrak Talent 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 36
Latest 11.4 drivers work the best for the 6xxx series. Driver roll back is for older cards as far as I know. If 11.4 do not work for you, then there must be something else going on.

Shaders unlock seemed safer to me when I did my research. Nets you a minimum of 3% performance over stock. And then just overclock to what you feel good. I went for 900/1350 on stock volt and happy with (max was 920/1400 - although I did not try more than 1400 on memory).
Wife's bane
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz Gigabyte Z77 UD3H HIS R9-290 8 GB Samsung Wonder RAM 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial SSD for OS Samsung Spinpoint F3 Asus XSPC water block, 360 radiator, and 720 reservo... 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
GPU cooling - XSPC Razer full GPU blocks Win 7 Home Premium Asus PB278Q 2560 X 1440p ISP Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
NZXT Hale90 V2 NZXT Switch 810 Logitech G500 Steelseries QcK 
Audio
Optical out to Sony receiver; Deftech Monitor 3... 
  hide details  
Reply
Wife's bane
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz Gigabyte Z77 UD3H HIS R9-290 8 GB Samsung Wonder RAM 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial SSD for OS Samsung Spinpoint F3 Asus XSPC water block, 360 radiator, and 720 reservo... 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
GPU cooling - XSPC Razer full GPU blocks Win 7 Home Premium Asus PB278Q 2560 X 1440p ISP Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
NZXT Hale90 V2 NZXT Switch 810 Logitech G500 Steelseries QcK 
Audio
Optical out to Sony receiver; Deftech Monitor 3... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaz View Post
Latest 11.4 drivers work the best for the 6xxx series. Driver roll back is for older cards as far as I know. If 11.4 do not work for you, then there must be something else going on.

Shaders unlock seemed safer to me when I did my research. Nets you a minimum of 3% performance over stock. And then just overclock to what you feel good. I went for 900/1350 on stock volt and happy with (max was 920/1400 - although I did not try more than 1400 on memory).
That sounds about right..I did read that overclocks on the memory can cause problems due to the differences in the power design on the two cards (6950 and 6970).

As far as the shader unlock goes, is that any different from a regular 6970 BIOS flash? When you unlock shaders only, is it just a modded 6950 BIOS or is the full 6970 BIOS?

Thanks for the input, going to get 11.4 downloaded now in preparation as well as the BIOS once I figured that out.
Bare Essentials
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930 @ 4.0 GHz ASUS P6X58D Premium MSI 6950 2 GB CFX (shaders unlocked) Corsair XMS3 8 GB (4GB x2) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD Win7 Home Premium 64 bit Samsung S27A950D OCN Ducky (Browns) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra X3 1000W CoolerMaster HAF X CoolerMaster Storm Spawn Puretrak Talent 
  hide details  
Reply
Bare Essentials
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930 @ 4.0 GHz ASUS P6X58D Premium MSI 6950 2 GB CFX (shaders unlocked) Corsair XMS3 8 GB (4GB x2) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD Win7 Home Premium 64 bit Samsung S27A950D OCN Ducky (Browns) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra X3 1000W CoolerMaster HAF X CoolerMaster Storm Spawn Puretrak Talent 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahBlahBlah View Post
That sounds about right..I did read that overclocks on the memory can cause problems due to the differences in the power design on the two cards (6950 and 6970).

As far as the shader unlock goes, is that any different from a regular 6970 BIOS flash? When you unlock shaders only, is it just a modded 6950 BIOS or is the full 6970 BIOS?

Thanks for the input, going to get 11.4 downloaded now in preparation as well as the BIOS once I figured that out.
You can just unlock the shaders, or use 6970 bios, which clocks it higher and changes the ram settings. Unlock the shaders, then OC to 6970 clocks, it's much better for your card.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 Lapped@4GHz/201x20/1.392VHTON/1.372VHTOFF ASrock extreme p55 Powercolour 6970s in CF@950C/1500M@1.175(stock V) Kingston HyperX T1 4GB 2133MHz 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 ultimate x64 ELETT221 @ 1920x1080 Microsoft curve Antec High Current Gamer 750w 
Mouse
iHome Fast Track Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 Lapped@4GHz/201x20/1.392VHTON/1.372VHTOFF ASrock extreme p55 Powercolour 6970s in CF@950C/1500M@1.175(stock V) Kingston HyperX T1 4GB 2133MHz 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 ultimate x64 ELETT221 @ 1920x1080 Microsoft curve Antec High Current Gamer 750w 
Mouse
iHome Fast Track Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthraxinsoup View Post
You can just unlock the shaders, or use 6970 bios, which clocks it higher and changes the ram settings. Unlock the shaders, then OC to 6970 clocks, it's much better for your card.
How do you just unlock the shaders? Is there a modded 6950 BIOS to do that? I see a lot of guides on how to simply flash a 6970 BIOS but not many on just unlocking the shaders alone.
Bare Essentials
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930 @ 4.0 GHz ASUS P6X58D Premium MSI 6950 2 GB CFX (shaders unlocked) Corsair XMS3 8 GB (4GB x2) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD Win7 Home Premium 64 bit Samsung S27A950D OCN Ducky (Browns) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra X3 1000W CoolerMaster HAF X CoolerMaster Storm Spawn Puretrak Talent 
  hide details  
Reply
Bare Essentials
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930 @ 4.0 GHz ASUS P6X58D Premium MSI 6950 2 GB CFX (shaders unlocked) Corsair XMS3 8 GB (4GB x2) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD Win7 Home Premium 64 bit Samsung S27A950D OCN Ducky (Browns) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra X3 1000W CoolerMaster HAF X CoolerMaster Storm Spawn Puretrak Talent 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahBlahBlah View Post
How do you just unlock the shaders? Is there a modded 6950 BIOS to do that? I see a lot of guides on how to simply flash a 6970 BIOS but not many on just unlocking the shaders alone.
http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/8....101123_1.html

Those should work and just unlock the shaders, then OC the difference if you want.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 Lapped@4GHz/201x20/1.392VHTON/1.372VHTOFF ASrock extreme p55 Powercolour 6970s in CF@950C/1500M@1.175(stock V) Kingston HyperX T1 4GB 2133MHz 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 ultimate x64 ELETT221 @ 1920x1080 Microsoft curve Antec High Current Gamer 750w 
Mouse
iHome Fast Track Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 Lapped@4GHz/201x20/1.392VHTON/1.372VHTOFF ASrock extreme p55 Powercolour 6970s in CF@950C/1500M@1.175(stock V) Kingston HyperX T1 4GB 2133MHz 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 ultimate x64 ELETT221 @ 1920x1080 Microsoft curve Antec High Current Gamer 750w 
Mouse
iHome Fast Track Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthraxinsoup View Post
http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/8....101123_1.html

Those should work and just unlock the shaders, then OC the difference if you want.
Thanks! Going to try this method first (unlocking shaders but leaving it as a 6950).

I have a feeling results will be more than enough to play BFBC2 with eye candy at 2600x1600
Bare Essentials
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930 @ 4.0 GHz ASUS P6X58D Premium MSI 6950 2 GB CFX (shaders unlocked) Corsair XMS3 8 GB (4GB x2) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD Win7 Home Premium 64 bit Samsung S27A950D OCN Ducky (Browns) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra X3 1000W CoolerMaster HAF X CoolerMaster Storm Spawn Puretrak Talent 
  hide details  
Reply
Bare Essentials
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930 @ 4.0 GHz ASUS P6X58D Premium MSI 6950 2 GB CFX (shaders unlocked) Corsair XMS3 8 GB (4GB x2) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD Win7 Home Premium 64 bit Samsung S27A950D OCN Ducky (Browns) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra X3 1000W CoolerMaster HAF X CoolerMaster Storm Spawn Puretrak Talent 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaz View Post
Latest 11.4 drivers work the best for the 6xxx series. Driver roll back is for older cards as far as I know. If 11.4 do not work for you, then there must be something else going on.

Shaders unlock seemed safer to me when I did my research. Nets you a minimum of 3% performance over stock. And then just overclock to what you feel good. I went for 900/1350 on stock volt and happy with (max was 920/1400 - although I did not try more than 1400 on memory).
11.4 isn't the official release though, right? I found some early preview 11.4 drivers at Guru3D, are those the ones?

http://downloads.guru3d.com/AMD-Cata...load-2687.html
Bare Essentials
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930 @ 4.0 GHz ASUS P6X58D Premium MSI 6950 2 GB CFX (shaders unlocked) Corsair XMS3 8 GB (4GB x2) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD Win7 Home Premium 64 bit Samsung S27A950D OCN Ducky (Browns) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra X3 1000W CoolerMaster HAF X CoolerMaster Storm Spawn Puretrak Talent 
  hide details  
Reply
Bare Essentials
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930 @ 4.0 GHz ASUS P6X58D Premium MSI 6950 2 GB CFX (shaders unlocked) Corsair XMS3 8 GB (4GB x2) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD Win7 Home Premium 64 bit Samsung S27A950D OCN Ducky (Browns) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra X3 1000W CoolerMaster HAF X CoolerMaster Storm Spawn Puretrak Talent 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › 6950 CFX Questions