Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [PCR] Is the PC Now Winning the Gaming War?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[PCR] Is the PC Now Winning the Gaming War? - Page 11

post #101 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoKilla666 View Post
There definitely is a SF4 PC
I own it

It is also fact that Capcom decided to never release SSF4 for PC due to insane amounts of piracy of the SF4 PC version. Now I agree that total pirated copies is not even a close indication of sales lost, since most of those cheapsters would have never bought the game otherwise, it is still hurting those loyal PC gamers

That's also pretty much the story of Gears of War PC and its quick demise
O and Halo
Sorry, I thought we were talking about SSF4 not SF4.

Regardless, there have been at least half a dozen games NOT released on PC due to piracy (direct from the source of the publisher or dev). Anyone who still claims that piracy isn't hurting PC gaming is just kidding themselves.

And I hope all you pirates out there feel bad for hurting the gaming industry as well. THERE ARE DEVS NOT RELEASING GAMES ON THE PC BECAUSE OF YOUR PIRACY.
post #102 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSpike View Post
Sorry, I thought we were talking about SSF4 not SF4.

Regardless, there have been at least half a dozen games NOT released on PC due to piracy (direct from the source of the publisher or dev). Anyone who still claims that piracy isn't hurting PC gaming is just kidding themselves.

And I hope all you pirates out there feel bad for hurting the gaming industry as well. THERE ARE DEVS NOT RELEASING GAMES ON THE PC BECAUSE OF YOUR PIRACY.
so they do what, release them on the xbox or ps3, or wii, or any of the handhelds so they can also get pirated.

LOL. Piracy isnt the reason devs stop developing on the PC, its ignorance.
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #103 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhati View Post
so they do what, release them on the xbox or ps3, or wii, or any of the handhelds so they can also get pirated.

LOL. Piracy isnt the reason devs stop developing on the PC, its ignorance.
:facepalm:

A dev refuses to develop a game for PC because there are too many pirates. I really don't understand what you don't get about a game not being released because a dev doesn't want it to be pirated left and right.

Let me repeat that. A game development company is NOT releasing a game on PC BECAUSE of pirates. So YES, piracy IS the reason some devs stop developing on the PC.
post #104 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhati View Post
so they do what, release them on the xbox or ps3, or wii, or any of the handhelds so they can also get pirated.

LOL. Piracy isnt the reason devs stop developing on the PC, its ignorance.
When Devs said that piracy hurts sales you scoff and say they're making excuses.

So now they're done with excuses and simply refuse to put the game out on PC and now you say they're ignorant?!

It's obvious you think you have the answers but you DON'T. Why would a gaming company pass up money? To make a point?! I don't think so, I'm sure their thinking goes like this:

Console game: 200,000 man-hours & $20million = $200 million in sales, 4 million copies sold and 3000 pirates
PC game: 250,000 man-hours & $25 million = $50 million in sales, 1 million copies sold and 5 million pirates

Another reason I think that game devs release a console-only game is b/c many console gamers have taken to pirating on PC b/c it's far easier and doesn't carry the risk of your whole system getting bricked.
Edited by FuNkDrSpOt - 4/7/11 at 11:47pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #105 of 212
It has also to do with the fact that Capcom, being a Japanese company, developed mainly for arcades and consoles.there was even a crappy port of Megaman X for pc. Also Sony bought some western studios (former psygnosis) and other similar examples demonstrate the situation.
A lot of the developers, with the exclusion of the japanese, started their career from pc games.
In fact i am surprised that with so many consoles dominating from the mid-80s this did not occur earlier.
It has more to do with policy rather than piracy
Last rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 4790K  Gigabyte Z97-D3 MSI 1080 Gaming X Corsair DDR3 1600 MHz 12 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 1 TB LG BD-RE BH10LS30 Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64-bit LG W2361V ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q Razer Blackwidow X Chroma 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Element ST 65EF Aero Cool GT Advanced Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Ednet xxxpad ProGamer 
Audio
Realtek AC888 
  hide details  
Reply
Last rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 4790K  Gigabyte Z97-D3 MSI 1080 Gaming X Corsair DDR3 1600 MHz 12 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 1 TB LG BD-RE BH10LS30 Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64-bit LG W2361V ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q Razer Blackwidow X Chroma 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Element ST 65EF Aero Cool GT Advanced Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Ednet xxxpad ProGamer 
Audio
Realtek AC888 
  hide details  
Reply
post #106 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSpike View Post
:facepalm:

A dev refuses to develop a game for PC because there are too many pirates. I really don't understand what you don't get about a game not being released because a dev doesn't want it to be pirated left and right.

Let me repeat that. A game development company is NOT releasing a game on PC BECAUSE of pirates. So YES, piracy IS the reason some devs stop developing on the PC.
Here's the thing. The majority of these people pirating PC games are probably running P4's.

These are people that wouldn't have bought it anyway. A pirated copy does NOT = a lost sale.

The issue here is devs ARE NOT DEVELOPING ON THE PC. THEY ARE PORTING! They expect CONSOLE FEATURES to work on the PC.

And they wonder why they fail when porting their game to the PC?

For devs out there:

- Stop with the sloppy ports
- If you're going multi-platform, MAKE PC SPECIFIC FEATURES. Be it DX11, dedicated servers, whatever. Lobbies, low player counts, voice chat and achievements are something PC gamers could CARE LESS about ( We have STEAM and Vent/TS for that )
- And for gods sake. OPTIMIZE. There is no reason any hardware today or the past 2 years should be struggling to run CONSOLE games.
Edited by Yvese - 4/8/11 at 12:59am
i7k
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k Asrock z87 Extreme6 Gigabyte 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB 500GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Samsung 850 EVO 2TB Seagate Barracuda LP 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2TB Seagate Barracuda Deepcool Assassin Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Samsung KS8000 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
QNIX QX2710 Evolution ll ASUS VG248QE SAMSUNG 2433BW Logitech G710+ 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III Series 850W Corsair 750D Logitech G600 Creative Sound Blaster Z 
Audio
Sennheiser HD 380 Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
i7k
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k Asrock z87 Extreme6 Gigabyte 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB 500GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Samsung 850 EVO 2TB Seagate Barracuda LP 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2TB Seagate Barracuda Deepcool Assassin Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Samsung KS8000 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
QNIX QX2710 Evolution ll ASUS VG248QE SAMSUNG 2433BW Logitech G710+ 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III Series 850W Corsair 750D Logitech G600 Creative Sound Blaster Z 
Audio
Sennheiser HD 380 Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #107 of 212
as a games designer i probly shouldn't be happy about this, but this is awesome been waiting for this day since consoles took over.
The OLD beast
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD phenom II 955 @ 3.6@ 1.38 asus formular 890fx sapphire 5870 corsair xms3 1600 8GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
250gb harddrive + 320gb + 1.5TB + OCZ 64 SSD, ... Win 8 64 BenQ 24" G2420HD + PB Viseo 243D 1920 x 1080 logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
1000 OCZ proXstream CM 690 CM750 Storm Tactics 
  hide details  
Reply
The OLD beast
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD phenom II 955 @ 3.6@ 1.38 asus formular 890fx sapphire 5870 corsair xms3 1600 8GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
250gb harddrive + 320gb + 1.5TB + OCZ 64 SSD, ... Win 8 64 BenQ 24" G2420HD + PB Viseo 243D 1920 x 1080 logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
1000 OCZ proXstream CM 690 CM750 Storm Tactics 
  hide details  
Reply
post #108 of 212
Lol. We win- the consolation prize =/
post #109 of 212
If it's true, then I'm happier
Swamplog 2.0
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.5GHz MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon Gigabyte GTX 1070 G. Skill 2x8Gb DDR4 3200 @ 2933 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SSD Sandisk 480Gb SSD WD Black 1TB HDD Corsair H60 
OSPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 Thermaltake Toughpower 750w 
  hide details  
Reply
Swamplog 2.0
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.5GHz MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon Gigabyte GTX 1070 G. Skill 2x8Gb DDR4 3200 @ 2933 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SSD Sandisk 480Gb SSD WD Black 1TB HDD Corsair H60 
OSPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 Thermaltake Toughpower 750w 
  hide details  
Reply
post #110 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvese View Post
Here's the thing. The majority of these people pirating PC games are probably running P4's.

These are people that wouldn't have bought it anyway. A pirated copy does NOT = a lost sale.

The issue here is devs ARE NOT DEVELOPING ON THE PC. THEY ARE PORTING! They expect CONSOLE FEATURES to work on the PC.

And they wonder why they fail when porting their game to the PC?

For devs out there:

- Stop with the sloppy ports
- If you're going multi-platform, MAKE PC SPECIFIC FEATURES. Be it DX11, dedicated servers, whatever. Lobbies, low player counts, voice chat and achievements are something PC gamers could CARE LESS about ( We have STEAM and Vent/TS for that )
- And for gods sake. OPTIMIZE. There is no reason any hardware today or the past 2 years should be struggling to run CONSOLE games.
Most people I know that pirate are pirating to get the game for free, not because they can't afford it.

The whole "it's not technically a lost sale" thing is kinda bogus if you ask me. While, yes, some of the pirates are pirating because they can't afford it and/or wouldn't have bought the game anyway. There's still A LOT of people pirating to just get the games for free. There's a lot of people like that out there and I know plenty of them.

It is making an impact when 500,000 out of a million pirates could have potentially bought the game. If less people are buying the games, then how are PC developers supposed to make money?

I can expect an answer like "Well, if PC developers would start making better games I would buy them". Which is just plain BS. In order for PC developers to have faith in the PC community, we need to show them that we're trustworthy and aren't going to go out and pirate their hard work. All we've proven is that we're a bunch of entitled, greedy, elitist adolescents.

This isn't a one sided thing. The developers don't have to develop games for the PC at all, and they would still make plenty of money. The community and developers need to work together in order to ensure the safety of PC gaming and its community.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [PCR] Is the PC Now Winning the Gaming War?