Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [PCR] Is the PC Now Winning the Gaming War?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[PCR] Is the PC Now Winning the Gaming War? - Page 13

post #121 of 212
I would have to add, that most PC Gamers are a discerning lot (not elitest or entitled as some would claim) and don't care much for shovel ware. Not all, but many Console types, on the other hand, generally buy on impulse. Couldn’t hurt the bottom line, could it?
Edited by Gunderman456 - 4/8/11 at 11:42am
 
BitoHeaven
(16 items)
 
Cigar ATX PC
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5GHz Asus Maximus VI Gene Gigabyte R9 290 @ 1160MHz/1350MHz Gigabyte R9 290 @ 1160MHz/1350MHz 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G.Skill Trident X 2X8GB DDR3 2400MHz Samsung 840 PRO 256GB  Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 3TB SATA III 6Gb/s 64... Pioneer Blu-ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Liquid Single Loop Triple Radiators Win 7 SP1 Professional x64bit  Samsung SynchMaster 24" Widescreen 1200p TFT-LC... Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1300w 80+ Gold Fully Modular  Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 Microsoft Sidewinder X5 Allsop Redmond Mouse Pad 
Audio
Cambridge Soundworks 5.1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.6GHz ASRock Z77E-ITX mITX  Sapphire HD 7990 @ 1090MHz/1600MHz G.SKILL Ripjaws 2X4GB DDR3-1600 @ 1866MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial SSD 128GB mSATA SATA III 6GB  Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB SATA II 32MB 7200RPM LG DVD R/W SATA with LightScribe Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 Professional x64bit Samsung 52" 1080p 60Hz LCD Logitech Wireless K330 Corsair AX850 Gold Fully Modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
BitFenix Prodigy Mini-ATX Black  Logitech Wireless M215 Corsair Vengeance MM200 Yamaha RX-V681 & PSB/Polk Audio 5.1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon II X4 640 ASRock N68C-GS NVIDIA 6600GT G. Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Blue 500GB 16MB Cache 7200RPM LG Optical Drive Thermaltake Max Orb Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Viewsonic 19” Flatscreen CRT Gigabyte GK-K6800 103  Thermaltake TR2 600W Cigar Boxes 
MouseMouse Pad
Zalman ZM-M300 Corsair Vengeance MM200 
  hide details  
Reply
 
BitoHeaven
(16 items)
 
Cigar ATX PC
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5GHz Asus Maximus VI Gene Gigabyte R9 290 @ 1160MHz/1350MHz Gigabyte R9 290 @ 1160MHz/1350MHz 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G.Skill Trident X 2X8GB DDR3 2400MHz Samsung 840 PRO 256GB  Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 3TB SATA III 6Gb/s 64... Pioneer Blu-ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Liquid Single Loop Triple Radiators Win 7 SP1 Professional x64bit  Samsung SynchMaster 24" Widescreen 1200p TFT-LC... Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1300w 80+ Gold Fully Modular  Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 Microsoft Sidewinder X5 Allsop Redmond Mouse Pad 
Audio
Cambridge Soundworks 5.1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.6GHz ASRock Z77E-ITX mITX  Sapphire HD 7990 @ 1090MHz/1600MHz G.SKILL Ripjaws 2X4GB DDR3-1600 @ 1866MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial SSD 128GB mSATA SATA III 6GB  Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB SATA II 32MB 7200RPM LG DVD R/W SATA with LightScribe Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 Professional x64bit Samsung 52" 1080p 60Hz LCD Logitech Wireless K330 Corsair AX850 Gold Fully Modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
BitFenix Prodigy Mini-ATX Black  Logitech Wireless M215 Corsair Vengeance MM200 Yamaha RX-V681 & PSB/Polk Audio 5.1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon II X4 640 ASRock N68C-GS NVIDIA 6600GT G. Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Blue 500GB 16MB Cache 7200RPM LG Optical Drive Thermaltake Max Orb Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Viewsonic 19” Flatscreen CRT Gigabyte GK-K6800 103  Thermaltake TR2 600W Cigar Boxes 
MouseMouse Pad
Zalman ZM-M300 Corsair Vengeance MM200 
  hide details  
Reply
post #122 of 212
Read this article to see that pc games are thriving in japan too and some get console ports. In us and europe ip laws are more rigid regarding games


Http://www.gamepro.com/article/featu...elopment-scene
Last rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 4790K  Gigabyte Z97-D3 MSI 1080 Gaming X Corsair DDR3 1600 MHz 12 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 1 TB LG BD-RE BH10LS30 Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64-bit LG W2361V ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q Razer Blackwidow X Chroma 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Element ST 65EF Aero Cool GT Advanced Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Ednet xxxpad ProGamer 
Audio
Realtek AC888 
  hide details  
Reply
Last rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 4790K  Gigabyte Z97-D3 MSI 1080 Gaming X Corsair DDR3 1600 MHz 12 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 1 TB LG BD-RE BH10LS30 Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64-bit LG W2361V ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q Razer Blackwidow X Chroma 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Element ST 65EF Aero Cool GT Advanced Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Ednet xxxpad ProGamer 
Audio
Realtek AC888 
  hide details  
Reply
post #123 of 212
crysis sold more than 3 million copies on the PC. The market is easily there, the problem is that PC gamers have a higher requirement for the purchase. notice the terrible sales of mw2 and blops on the PC.

The market is there, and the market is willing. You just have to provide a good game for us.
Edited by Vhati - 4/8/11 at 11:56am
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #124 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhati View Post
crysis sold more than 3 million copies on the PC. The market is easily there, the problem is that PC gamers have a higher requirement for the purchase. notice the terrible sales of mw2 and blops on the PC.

The market is there, and the market is willing. You just have to provide a good game for us.
You're still completely missing the point.

The developers aren't developing for PC because of piracy. Some titles have had 900% as many pirates copies downloaded in the first week of release as they had sold over the same time period. That's just sad, and when developers see how rampant and unpreventable piracy is, they just give up and go with the simpler platforms that have much lower piracy rates.

And yes, the market is KIND OF there. But what about the games that are "just ok"? They would still do well on console, because enough people would still buy it for the developer to turn a profit. But a "just ok" PC game doesn't turn a profit these days, and developers are afraid of that. Keep in mind that while PC game sales revenue is still increasing year to year, so are development costs, and exponentially so.

It's not like development studios purposely make bad games. Everyone always wants to have the next big hit, but when the risk of unprofitability increases due to piracy, fewer devs are willing to take the risk to develop on the platform. They don't know that they are creating a game that will flop - they think their game is great! But they must account for the risk of what will happen if it does flop, and that risk is lower and smaller when developing for the console because of the larger market and lack of piracy.
post #125 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSpike View Post
You're still completely missing the point.

The developers aren't developing for PC because of piracy. Some titles have had 900% as many pirates copies downloaded in the first week of release as they had sold over the same time period. That's just sad, and when developers see how rampant and unpreventable piracy is, they just give up and go with the simpler platforms that have much lower piracy rates.

And yes, the market is KIND OF there. But what about the games that are "just ok"? They would still do well on console, because enough people would still buy it for the developer to turn a profit. But a "just ok" PC game doesn't turn a profit these days, and developers are afraid of that. Keep in mind that while PC game sales revenue is still increasing year to year, so are development costs, and exponentially so.

It's not like development studios purposely make bad games. Everyone always wants to have the next big hit, but when the risk of unprofitability increases due to piracy, fewer devs are willing to take the risk to develop on the platform. They don't know that they are creating a game that will flop - they think their game is great! But they must account for the risk of what will happen if it does flop, and that risk is lower and smaller when developing for the console because of the larger market and lack of piracy.
when you say developer, i think you might mean Publisher. Developers have little say in what they do anymore. The publisher that holds the licensing or owns the developer decides what is done. When they recieve misinformation about piracy. Multiple studies have show that piracy doesnt impact sales, and in most cases piracy helps out the small developer.

Perhaps instead of trying to make the next big hit, the developers/publishers should try to make a game they love, not what playtest and focus groups say they should be making. Look at CD project, the creators of witcher 1 and 2, and tripwire interactive, both are bucking the trends of focusing on console, and are creating games that cannot be done on the consoles, taking the gameplay and depth to a higher level. Both of these games are going to be huge, and they will both turn nice profits for them.
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #126 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhati View Post
when you say developer, i think you might mean Publisher. Developers have little say in what they do anymore. The publisher that holds the licensing or owns the developer decides what is done. When they recieve misinformation about piracy. Multiple studies have show that piracy doesnt impact sales, and in most cases piracy helps out the small developer.

Perhaps instead of trying to make the next big hit, the developers/publishers should try to make a game they love, not what playtest and focus groups say they should be making. Look at CD project, the creators of witcher 1 and 2, and tripwire interactive, both are bucking the trends of focusing on console, and are creating games that cannot be done on the consoles, taking the gameplay and depth to a higher level. Both of these games are going to be huge, and they will both turn nice profits for them.
Hey, I agree - developers should make better games, and stop focusing on what worked and regurgitating it. But again, developers/publishers (whoever you want to focus on) are afraid to take big risks in a low-margin, low-profit (averaging) industry. Piracy doesn't help that, and only makes devs/publishers play it safer.

I don't care what the studies say, because some publishers aren't listening to them. If the publisher doesn't listen to them (or doesn't believe them), then they fall back on not releasing games on the PC because of piracy. No matter how you look at it, if people weren't pirating PC games, we would have more PC game releases. And this is what upsets me.
post #127 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvese View Post
Here's the thing. The majority of these people pirating PC games are probably running P4's.

These are people that wouldn't have bought it anyway. A pirated copy does NOT = a lost sale.

The issue here is devs ARE NOT DEVELOPING ON THE PC. THEY ARE PORTING! They expect CONSOLE FEATURES to work on the PC.

And they wonder why they fail when porting their game to the PC?

For devs out there:

- Stop with the sloppy ports
- If you're going multi-platform, MAKE PC SPECIFIC FEATURES. Be it DX11, dedicated servers, whatever. Lobbies, low player counts, voice chat and achievements are something PC gamers could CARE LESS about ( We have STEAM and Vent/TS for that )
- And for gods sake. OPTIMIZE. There is no reason any hardware today or the past 2 years should be struggling to run CONSOLE games.
Crytek made Crysis 1, which was a Pc exclusive and had all the goodies that PC elitists cry for and it was pirated:sold 15:1. What's your explanation for that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhati View Post
way to make up Numbers to support your ideas. AND look like a tool.
I was illustrating a point. A point that went over your head, obviously. Those numbers, while obviously not exact, mirror the business reality of creating games for PC and console. Here are the following points i was trying to make, feel free to debate them if you want:
  • PC games, with their thousands of hardware/software configurations, most likely take longer to code for than console, thus extra man hours, thus more money?
  • Console games sell millions more than PC games with slightly less dev time and while retaining a mere fraction of the piracy that PC gaming does
  • In many cases, PC games have been pirated 2x to 15x more than they've been sold.

Edited by FuNkDrSpOt - 4/9/11 at 8:27am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #128 of 212
I went ahead and torrented crysis 2, 2 days later i went out and bought it on steam for $60.

Downloads =/= lost sale.

post #129 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanb213 View Post
I went ahead and torrented crysis 2, 2 days later i went out and bought it on steam for $60.

Downloads =/= lost sale.
Where did anyone here say or try to claim that a download = a lost sale? Don't refute arguments that no one is making - it makes you look silly.
post #130 of 212
Im pointing out the fact that numbers of downloads cant be an accurate judgements for developers to back out of a platform on.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [PCR] Is the PC Now Winning the Gaming War?