Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [PCR] Is the PC Now Winning the Gaming War?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[PCR] Is the PC Now Winning the Gaming War? - Page 17

post #161 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaSMK View Post
To add @ what Blameless has mentioned and add some fuel to his truth;

I have several games I have bought from D2D. The most expensive game (out of say a dozen) was $9.99. $10 or less per game on a dozen games.

From Steam, all of my last purchases with the only exceptions being MW2 and BFBC2 (which I did pay full price for both - accounting for the $10 discount for pre-order of BFBC2) I have not purchased a game from Steam over $19.99 and that was for AC. Everything else has been less than $20 a piece from Steam.

Fuel for the fire!

And also... why does this thread keep coming back in the news section?! Must be us people posting on and on ...
That's not fuel for the fire....that's just human nature. There will ALWAYS be a certain percentage of bargain hunters. Why do you think thrift stores, The Goodwill, 2nd hand stores and $.99 stores exist? And if ALL stores were like that, then those bargain hunters would start up a 3rd hand store and a $.49 store.

I might agree with you guys on certain markets about the pricing but gaming is probably the best market there is when it comes to consumer cost. You get a product that has been $40-$60 since the mid-80's that gives you anywhere from 10-100hrs of enjoyment. Where else can you get so much from so little?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #162 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuNkDrSpOt View Post
Actually, there isn't one shred of proof to suggest that if games cost $10-$20 at launch, game devs would make more money. Not one shred of proof. Feel free to show us if there is.
Magicka. Proof. Had it been over priced it wouldn't have done nearly as well. That's just one game. There are others. Minecraft. Try selling that for $50-$60 a pop.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
post #163 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuNkDrSpOt View Post
That's not fuel for the fire....that's just human nature. There will ALWAYS be a certain percentage of bargain hunters. Why do you think thrift stores, The Goodwill, 2nd hand stores and $.99 stores exist? And if ALL stores were like that, then those bargain hunters would start up a 3rd hand store and a $.49 store.

I might agree with you guys on certain markets about the pricing but gaming is probably the best market there is when it comes to consumer cost. You get a product that has been $40-$60 since the mid-80's that gives you anywhere from 10-100hrs of enjoyment. Where else can you get so much from so little?

Comparing Goodwill and 2nd hand stores to sales at retail sales outlets like Steam and D2D is hardly a good comparison!

And there are plenty of things that cost less that can give hours upon hours of joy. You can also place the cost relative to the hours played. So if I pay $60 for a game that I play 6 hours out of that's 10$ per hour of gameplay. I could spend $60 on ammunition for a weapon that was free to me and have it last for days at a cost of roughly $0.05 / per bullet.

Now, that's a loose analogy but I disagree with your stand point. Come to think of it, the only thing that has been keeping games at the larger price points is that it now takes roughly ten times what it did a decade ago to make a game, and 25 times or more what it did in the 80's. Unlike most things (except for gasoline!) where the price of items generally is reduced over time.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
post #164 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaSMK View Post
Magicka. Proof. Had it been over priced it wouldn't have done nearly as well. That's just one game. There are others. Minecraft. Try selling that for $50-$60 a pop.
Your argument is tissue-paper thin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaSMK View Post
Comparing Goodwill and 2nd hand stores to sales at retails sales outlets like Steam and D2D is hardly a good comparison!
Typical of OCN, so OCD-obsessed with my analogy or comparison that you argue semantics more than you care about the point.

Did you get the POINT of what i was saying?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaSMK View Post
And there are plenty of things that cost less that can give hours upon hours of joy. You can also place the cost relative to the hours played. So if I pay $60 for a game that I play 6 hours out of that's 10$ per hour of gameplay. I could spend $60 on ammunition for a weapon that was free to me and have it last for days at a cost of roughly $0.15 / per bullet.
First off, someone gave you a free gun. Handguns are at LEAST $300, mine was $900.

Second, $60 in ammo at a shooting range lasts you around 1 to 2 hrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaSMK View Post
Now, that's a loose analogy but I disagree with your stand point. Come to think of it, the only thing that has been keeping games at the larger price points is that it now takes roughly ten times what it did a decade ago to make a game, and 25 times or more what it did in the 80's. Unlike most things (except for gasoline!) where the price of items generally is reduced over time.
You forgot that games used to come in cartridges with expensive RAM.
Edited by FuNkDrSpOt - 4/10/11 at 7:09pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #165 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuNkDrSpOt View Post
Your argument is tissue-paper thin.
Au contraire, my friend. That is proof regardless of how thin the argument may be.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
post #166 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaSMK View Post
Au contraire, my friend. That is proof regardless of how thin the argument may be.
I think you might want to revist what 'proof' or a 'fact' is. It isn't your opinion or a single game you can point to. You don't have a single statistical fact. Thus your 'proof' is tissue paper thin and not worthy of my time.

It'd be like me pointing to a special edition game that costs $200 as proof that all games can sell at that pricing point. Ever heard of a statistical anomaly?
Edited by FuNkDrSpOt - 4/10/11 at 7:14pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #167 of 212
Oh now now, Mr. FuNkDrSpOt a lot of things are relative.

Just because the gun was handed down (and isn't a handgun either) and my ammunition lasts me plenty of time because I don't need to dispense of it at a shooting range, relative is relative.

Just for giggles I'll add a few other examples:

* Swimming at the beach or paying small fees to swim / play in local pools.
* The initial expense and upkeep of a bike/skis/snowboard/skateboard/surfboard and otherwise inexpensive use of those items.
* Renting movies.
* Going out to dinner or a show, or combination of both.

I could go on, but I think you get what I'm throwin' out there..

Oh I get your point and semantics isn't the game dear friend, not at all. Trying to justify second hand stores to retail outlets to prove your point is moot. There is no comparison between a second hand / thrift shop where items are donated as opposed to a retail outlet store where items for sale are not from donation.

Lastly, I'm not here providing my 'opinion' as fact. When I provide it as a truth I am in no way denoting it to be a fact. The fact of the matter is many people would pay less for games if games were sold at a cheaper price (obviously). But beyond OCN I am quite sure that the sales figures for Steam are spot on. You may want to have another look.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
post #168 of 212
Good posts FuNkDrSpOt. I'm glad at least one person in this thread understands the basics of economics.

GanjaSMK, you REALLY need to take a course or three in economics before you can even begin to convince us you know what you are talking about. It's obvious you're just spouting the first things that come to your mind, without having any knowledge of the basics of economics or strategy pricing.

You seem to think you know more about how to price than thousands of industry experts. But trust me, if they could make MORE money by starting with an initially lower price, then that's exactly what they would be doing.

You're wrong, plain and simple. For starters, google price skimming, and have a few good reads.
post #169 of 212
I think the biggest problem with PC gaming progress is DX9. I feel like it's holding us back. Dx11 has all these great features that devs won't utilize because they want their games to look generally the same on all 3 API's. (i.e. crysis 2, metro 2033) But they can't not support dx10 and dx11 because they're great marketing gimmicks. Theres a great difference between supporting dx11 and utilizing dx11.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 @ 3.2Ghz GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD3L MSI.hd6950 2gb flashed to 6970 OCZ Gold 4gb @ 1280mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital Black 750GB Lite-on 22X DVD±R Burner Windows 7 x64 Acer 23" Full HD 1080P 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech ultra slim keyboard BFG Tech GS-550 550W IKONIK Zaria A10 Razer Deathadder 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 @ 3.2Ghz GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD3L MSI.hd6950 2gb flashed to 6970 OCZ Gold 4gb @ 1280mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital Black 750GB Lite-on 22X DVD±R Burner Windows 7 x64 Acer 23" Full HD 1080P 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech ultra slim keyboard BFG Tech GS-550 550W IKONIK Zaria A10 Razer Deathadder 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 
  hide details  
Reply
post #170 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest001 View Post
I think the biggest problem with PC gaming progress is DX9. I feel like it's holding us back. Dx11 has all these great features that devs won't utilize because they want their games to look generally the same on all 3 API's. (i.e. crysis 2, metro 2033) But they can't not support dx10 and dx11 because they're great marketing gimmicks. Theres a great difference between supporting dx11 and utilizing dx11.
Any game with DX11 ground up? i heard Civ 5 was the first... surprisingly so.

Metro 2033 does look pretty good, but it's add-on DX11.

Crysis 2... it fell from grace.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R7 1700x Gigabyte Aorus AX370 Gaming 5 ASUS GTX 1080 Turbo @ 2050mhz G.Skill DDR4 16GB 8GBx2 3200 mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 750 Evo 250GB Crucial m500 960GB OCZ Trion 150 960GB Samsung 960 Evo 1TB m.2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial MX300 2TB DVD drive Corsair H60 2013 edition windows 10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
32inch Crossover 4K Thermaltake SMART M series 750W Powerspec G418 case Thermal 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 4910mq GTX 880m (GK104 with 8GB VRAM) 16 GB DDR3 3x Samsung 840 EVO in RAID 0 (1.31 TB total) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung M9T 2TB HDD Bluray/DVD drive Bluray/DVD drive Window 7 Home Premium 
MonitorPower
Panasonic 2880x1620 panel 180w Delta brick 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R7 1700x Gigabyte Aorus AX370 Gaming 5 ASUS GTX 1080 Turbo @ 2050mhz G.Skill DDR4 16GB 8GBx2 3200 mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 750 Evo 250GB Crucial m500 960GB OCZ Trion 150 960GB Samsung 960 Evo 1TB m.2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial MX300 2TB DVD drive Corsair H60 2013 edition windows 10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
32inch Crossover 4K Thermaltake SMART M series 750W Powerspec G418 case Thermal 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 4910mq GTX 880m (GK104 with 8GB VRAM) 16 GB DDR3 3x Samsung 840 EVO in RAID 0 (1.31 TB total) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung M9T 2TB HDD Bluray/DVD drive Bluray/DVD drive Window 7 Home Premium 
MonitorPower
Panasonic 2880x1620 panel 180w Delta brick 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [PCR] Is the PC Now Winning the Gaming War?