Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [PCR] Is the PC Now Winning the Gaming War?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[PCR] Is the PC Now Winning the Gaming War? - Page 18

post #171 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaSMK View Post
Oh now now, Mr. FuNkDrSpOt a lot of things are relative.

Just because the gun was handed down (and isn't a handgun either) and my ammunition lasts me plenty of time because I don't need to dispense of it at a shooting range, relative is relative.
What caliber? I shoot 9mm and a 100-box from wal-mart costs me $24. You can burn through 200 rounds in about 2-3 hrs of straight shooting without a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaSMK View Post
Just for giggles I'll add a few other examples:

* Swimming at the beach or paying small fees to swim / play in local pools.
* The initial expense and upkeep of a bike/skis/snowboard/skateboard/surfboard and otherwise inexpensive use of those items.
* Renting movies.
* Going out to dinner or a show, or combination of both.
Physical activities aren't included or else we might as well throw every sport every conceived into the mix. We're talking leisurely entertainment.

- Renting a movie is technically cheating in this equation because I could just as easily counter your rented movie with rented video games. Buying a movie new costs $20-$30 and is 2hrs long.

- Going to dinner and a show? Are you serious? Have you been to one lately? Dinner for you and a woman is +$60, the show is $100. That's $160 for 5 hrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaSMK View Post
Oh I get your point and semantics isn't the game dear friend, not at all. Trying to justify second hand stores to retail outlets to prove your point is moot. There is no comparison between a second hand / thrift shop where items are donated as opposed to a retail outlet store where items for sale are not from donation.
Dood you still don't get it......

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaSMK View Post
Lastly, I'm not here providing my 'opinion' as fact. When I provide it as a truth I am in no way denoting it to be a fact. The fact of the matter is many people would pay less for games if games were sold at a cheaper price (obviously). But beyond OCN I am quite sure that the sales figures for Steam are spot on. You may want to have another look.
Well since VALVe is a private company and they don't release sales figures, i guess we'll never know.
Edited by FuNkDrSpOt - 4/11/11 at 12:31am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #172 of 212
I really hate to see these threads break down like this.

Were down to pretentious insults the irony is hilarious. Maybe we should all take a psychology course to learn how to deal with other people on a internet forum.

Really you both have been repeating the same thing over and over without really getting anywhere. I'm not seeing any facts, any professional economists (Key is professional) want to chime in?. Maybe they could pick through your posts and trash your opinions.
Goomah
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k P67-UD4 ASUS GTX 560 TI G.SKILL Ripjaws+ Turbulence II Series 2000mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorKeyboard
2x Samsung f3 raid 0 None! T.V. Rosewill RK-9000 Mechanical 
PowerCaseMouse
ABS SL 1050W (Overkill) HAF X Deathadder 
  hide details  
Reply
Goomah
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k P67-UD4 ASUS GTX 560 TI G.SKILL Ripjaws+ Turbulence II Series 2000mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorKeyboard
2x Samsung f3 raid 0 None! T.V. Rosewill RK-9000 Mechanical 
PowerCaseMouse
ABS SL 1050W (Overkill) HAF X Deathadder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #173 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsan View Post
I really hate to see these threads break down like this.

Were down to pretentious insults the irony is hilarious. Maybe we should all take a psychology course to learn how to deal with other people on a internet forum.

Really you both have been repeating the same thing over and over without really getting anywhere. I'm not seeing any facts, any professional economists (Key is professional) want to chime in?. Maybe they could pick through your posts and trash your opinions.
Not seeing any facts?

How about several game development/publishing companies stating that they refuse to develop/publish for the PC platform because of piracy? That's a FACT, my friend.

But you're right about the other side of the argument - I haven't seen any facts from them either.
post #174 of 212
After seeing the new Unreal Engine reboot....PC wins all day..
KhAoS v1
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K @ 4.7ghz-1.392v ASUS P8P67 EVO MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr II G.Skill Ripjaws X 4gb 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1x WD 1tb, 1x OCZ Vertex 2 50gb HP 24x DVD/CD Burner Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 23" ASUS 1080p 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 850TX HAF 932 CM Storm Sentinel 
  hide details  
Reply
KhAoS v1
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K @ 4.7ghz-1.392v ASUS P8P67 EVO MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr II G.Skill Ripjaws X 4gb 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1x WD 1tb, 1x OCZ Vertex 2 50gb HP 24x DVD/CD Burner Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 23" ASUS 1080p 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 850TX HAF 932 CM Storm Sentinel 
  hide details  
Reply
post #175 of 212
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaVoK C89 View Post
After seeing the new Unreal Engine reboot....PC wins all day..
PC wins all day, e'ryday... except for when you're a developer working under a publisher creating multi-million dollar titles looking to maximize profit in which case you develop for two consoles (maybe three), cash in and totally ignore the headache-inducing thousandfold PC configurations which are the most difficult to maintain yet only bring under 10% of the total sales anyways.

Looking at it really, we are a high-maintenance minority that demand a lot and readily any that don't deliver. Probably one of the reasons why we get ignored when it comes to AAA titles is because of this.

Is there anything we can do about it? Sure: look to titles which we think are worthwhile on our platform and purchase those.
Edited by Core2uu - 4/11/11 at 12:58am
myTX Prodigy
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570 ASUS P8H77-I XFX Radeon HD 7870 Double D GSKILL 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung SSD 840 250GB Crucial m4 128GB Seagate Barracuda 500GB Western Digital Black 1TB 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
ASUS CD/DVD RW 24X Windows 8 Pro x64 ASUS VE247 24" Microsoft Sidewinder X4 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX550M Bitfenix Prodigy Steelseries Kinzu Gigabyte Ghost 
  hide details  
Reply
myTX Prodigy
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570 ASUS P8H77-I XFX Radeon HD 7870 Double D GSKILL 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung SSD 840 250GB Crucial m4 128GB Seagate Barracuda 500GB Western Digital Black 1TB 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
ASUS CD/DVD RW 24X Windows 8 Pro x64 ASUS VE247 24" Microsoft Sidewinder X4 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX550M Bitfenix Prodigy Steelseries Kinzu Gigabyte Ghost 
  hide details  
Reply
post #176 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSpike View Post
Not seeing any facts?

How about several game development/publishing companies stating that they refuse to develop/publish for the PC platform because of piracy? That's a FACT, my friend.

But you're right about the other side of the argument - I haven't seen any facts from them either.
I don't know a industry that doesn't get butthurt about piracy so i dunno. Rightfully so in some cases.

A delayed release doesn't make money? I mean the ps3 would be out of business in that case. That and locking down multiplayer it really shouldn't be hard to tie it to a account. This in turn would also stop the other big problem, Support calls from dummy's who pirate the game and then want support. That's what most developers complain about because that does cost them money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Core2uu View Post
PC wins all day, e'ryday... except for when you're a developer working under a publisher creating multi-million dollar titles looking to maximize profit in which case you develop for two consoles (maybe three), cash in and totally ignore the headache-inducing thousandfold PC configurations which are the most difficult to maintain yet only bring under 10% of the total sales anyways.

Looking at it really, we are a high-maintenance minority that demand a lot and readily any that don't deliver. Probably one of the reasons why we get ignored when it comes to AAA titles is because of this.

Is there anything we can do about it? Sure: look to titles which we think are worthwhile on our platform and purchase those.
I agree with some of your points here, I'm not going to talk numbers as we can't really get the whole to get a clear picture of things.

Can't the engine designers do anything about this? Build a engine in where you can easily port to console but still have the PC options. Aren't most of these engines built to run on PC anyways? I realize they are largely different but I don't see why half this workload is not automated. It's easy to say i know but somewhere in the technology we are being shortchanged. Yes i also realize that they are specifically optimized to each console it's still a real mess.

Anyone remember this? Blasphemy i know and old to boot but just saying not trying to stir up sony trouble(for once) just for the point.

http://news.cnet.com/sony-ps3-is-har...or-on-purpose/

Will this always be a problem? *joke* Do we have to wait for emulators? *joke*


*edit*
Oh and before i get my butt handed to me by ps3 buffs.

http://www.kushan.biz/?p=24
Edited by luvsan - 4/11/11 at 1:49am
Goomah
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k P67-UD4 ASUS GTX 560 TI G.SKILL Ripjaws+ Turbulence II Series 2000mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorKeyboard
2x Samsung f3 raid 0 None! T.V. Rosewill RK-9000 Mechanical 
PowerCaseMouse
ABS SL 1050W (Overkill) HAF X Deathadder 
  hide details  
Reply
Goomah
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k P67-UD4 ASUS GTX 560 TI G.SKILL Ripjaws+ Turbulence II Series 2000mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorKeyboard
2x Samsung f3 raid 0 None! T.V. Rosewill RK-9000 Mechanical 
PowerCaseMouse
ABS SL 1050W (Overkill) HAF X Deathadder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #177 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Core2uu View Post
PC wins all day, e'ryday... except for when you're a developer working under a publisher creating multi-million dollar titles looking to maximize profit in which case you develop for two consoles (maybe three), cash in and totally ignore the headache-inducing thousandfold PC configurations which are the most difficult to maintain yet only bring under 10% of the total sales anyways.

Looking at it really, we are a high-maintenance minority that demand a lot and readily any that don't deliver. Probably one of the reasons why we get ignored when it comes to AAA titles is because of this.

Is there anything we can do about it? Sure: look to titles which we think are worthwhile on our platform and purchase those.
I think what Devs hate most about the PC gaming community is our ultra high requirements, how many in the community don't understand the slightest thing about buisiness, how many of us don't understand the sheer undertaking of them providing varying graphical levels/debugging/hardware and software compatibility testing despite our PC knowledge and most importantly, our lukewarm support and sales when they finally DO give us what we want.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #178 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwadeson View Post
only if gta and battlefield series were developed on PCs first, then I would consider this trend reliable.
pretty sure battlefield series started on the pc...
PliskiN
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k Z77 Pro4 Evga GTX 670 Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8 GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Spinpoint f3 CM hyper 212+ Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Acer P241W 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CMStorm Quick Fire CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX Fractal Design Midi Logitech G9x Laser Gaming Mouse 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries 4D Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty P... 
  hide details  
Reply
PliskiN
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k Z77 Pro4 Evga GTX 670 Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8 GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Spinpoint f3 CM hyper 212+ Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Acer P241W 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CMStorm Quick Fire CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX Fractal Design Midi Logitech G9x Laser Gaming Mouse 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries 4D Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty P... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #179 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSpike View Post
Not seeing any facts?

How about several game development/publishing companies stating that they refuse to develop/publish for the PC platform because of piracy? That's a FACT, my friend.

But you're right about the other side of the argument - I haven't seen any facts from them either.
What a company states is not fact, its just PR. We dont know the real reasons.

And to Counter the supposed Fact, you have many developers who are open to Piracy because they believe it gets them more customers because of word of mouth spreading about this awesome game, and that people will support a good product.

How can some developers embrace Piracy and others freak out over it. They both cant be right. And if you say the line, i never said piracy cost a sale, imma freak out.

Quote:
How about several game development/publishing companies stating that they refuse to develop/publish for the PC platform because of piracy?
That is basically saying the same thing.
Edited by Vhati - 4/11/11 at 8:02am
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #180 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhati View Post
What a company states is not fact, its just PR. We dont know the real reasons.
So because they said it, and it has to do with piracy, which you think is a good thing, it can't possibly be true?

I give them the benefit of the doubt. Unless they give me a reason to believe they are lying, I will assume they are telling the truth. It is not my place (or yours) to decide who is lying without some sort of proof to back it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhati View Post
And to Counter the supposed Fact, you have many developers who are open to Piracy because they believe it gets them more customers because of word of mouth spreading about this awesome game, and that people will support a good product.

How can some developers embrace Piracy and others freak out over it. They both cant be right. And if you say the line, i never said piracy cost a sale, imma freak out.

That is basically saying the same thing.
All companies are in different situations. Those companies who are open to piracy are always small companies with brand new releases no one has heard of. In that case, yes, piracy and the resultant WOM can be good for sales.

But for most devs, who are making games that many people know about before it is even released - those are the ones who are really hurt by piracy and speak out against it. Piracy hurts these companies to the tune of millions of dollars, so why shouldn't they complain about it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [PCR] Is the PC Now Winning the Gaming War?