Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Uh oh. GTX 570 Red Screen?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Uh oh. GTX 570 Red Screen? - Page 2

post #11 of 24
i hope bassplayer doesn't have to add another to the list of dead 570's

when i get my replacement it's either staying at stock or being sold for a gigabyte 480 soc
post #12 of 24
That much trouble in less than a week = me getting the rma in full swing, and ridding myself of what ifs, why, and headaches.
Optimism might leave you with a dead card come a week after resellers rma/warranty time. I'm done with patient now I think lol =D
Edited by Fletcherea - 4/7/11 at 2:03pm
PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-4670k ASRock Z87E-ITX ZOTAC GeForce GTX 970 G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Toshiba DT01ACA200 OCZ Vertex 460 Swiftech H220-X EK-FC970 GTX Full Cover Water Block 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Black Ice Nemesis 120GTS Ultra Stealth U-Flow L... Windows 10 BenQ GW Series GW2760HS  Silverstone Tek 450-Watts SFX 
Case
BitFenix Prodigy 
  hide details  
Reply
PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-4670k ASRock Z87E-ITX ZOTAC GeForce GTX 970 G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Toshiba DT01ACA200 OCZ Vertex 460 Swiftech H220-X EK-FC970 GTX Full Cover Water Block 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Black Ice Nemesis 120GTS Ultra Stealth U-Flow L... Windows 10 BenQ GW Series GW2760HS  Silverstone Tek 450-Watts SFX 
Case
BitFenix Prodigy 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcherea View Post
That much trouble in less than a week = me getting the rma in full swing, and ridding myself of what ifs, why, and headaches.
Optimism might leave you with a dead card come a week after resellers rma/warranty time. I'm done with patient now I think lol =D
If only resellers RMA was an option, I would have done it last night. I cut the UPC off the card's box and mailed it in for the rebate only a couple hours before I started having this issue.

An RMA now goes through Galaxy, who does not cross-ship. If I send it back I'm without a card for 2 weeks. I don't even know what to do in the interim, I sold my 2x 460's, 5770 and 8800GT I had around. And my mobo doesnt have onboard video. Great...

To the person who told me to look at the pcb for marks... what am I supposed to be looking for?
Blood Dragon
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-4670K MSI Z87-G45 Gaming LGA 1150 MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G  G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 2133 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Hyper 212 EVO Win 7 64 QNIX 2710 Evolution II Logitech G110 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W Rosewill THOR V2 Gaming Logitech G502 Proteus Core Cyber Snipa TRACER 
Audio
Logitech G35 Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
Blood Dragon
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-4670K MSI Z87-G45 Gaming LGA 1150 MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G  G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 2133 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Hyper 212 EVO Win 7 64 QNIX 2710 Evolution II Logitech G110 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W Rosewill THOR V2 Gaming Logitech G502 Proteus Core Cyber Snipa TRACER 
Audio
Logitech G35 Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 24
any sign of burning would be the obvious thing to look for
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeSC View Post
If only resellers RMA was an option, I would have done it last night. I cut the UPC off the card's box and mailed it in for the rebate only a couple hours before I started having this issue.

An RMA now goes through Galaxy, who does not cross-ship. If I send it back I'm without a card for 2 weeks. I don't even know what to do in the interim, I sold my 2x 460's, 5770 and 8800GT I had around. And my mobo doesnt have onboard video. Great...

To the person who told me to look at the pcb for marks... what am I supposed to be looking for?

I feel your pain.
Midnight Ocean
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k @ 4.3 ghz Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC Gigabyte G1 980 TI sli 16GB G skill @ 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 pro ssd 128gb + sandisk extreme 128... ASUS sata dvd burner Win 10 pro 64 bit 27 inch 1440p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair k95 rgb evga 1000w AZZA Solano 1000 Logitech g600 
Mouse PadAudio
X Trac Ripper Asus xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
Midnight Ocean
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k @ 4.3 ghz Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC Gigabyte G1 980 TI sli 16GB G skill @ 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 pro ssd 128gb + sandisk extreme 128... ASUS sata dvd burner Win 10 pro 64 bit 27 inch 1440p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair k95 rgb evga 1000w AZZA Solano 1000 Logitech g600 
Mouse PadAudio
X Trac Ripper Asus xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 24
When my 570 fried, I took off the heatsink and sure enough right where the 4 little square black VRMs were, one was melted to ****. You will smell a pretty distinct burnt rubberlike smell if you fry a VRM too.
Albino Sasquatch
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-760 @ 4.1ghz MSI H55-GD65 LGA 1156 MSI GTX580 @ 850/2000 1.1v 4GB DDR3 Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Kingston 64GB SSD/ 1 TB WD Win7 Ultimate x64 HannsG 28" LCD - 1200p Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
TT Black Widow 850w White NZXT Phantom (modded) Cyborg R.A.T. 7 
  hide details  
Reply
Albino Sasquatch
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-760 @ 4.1ghz MSI H55-GD65 LGA 1156 MSI GTX580 @ 850/2000 1.1v 4GB DDR3 Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Kingston 64GB SSD/ 1 TB WD Win7 Ultimate x64 HannsG 28" LCD - 1200p Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
TT Black Widow 850w White NZXT Phantom (modded) Cyborg R.A.T. 7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredicus View Post
When my 570 fried, I took off the heatsink and sure enough right where the 4 little square black VRMs were, one was melted to ****. You will smell a pretty distinct burnt rubberlike smell if you fry a VRM too.
its my understanding that if you fry a vrm the card will not work at all. Am I incorrect? I just finished a heaven bench at 850@1075mv and played bfbc2 for an hour at the same settings. I doubt that would work with a fried VRM?
Blood Dragon
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-4670K MSI Z87-G45 Gaming LGA 1150 MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G  G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 2133 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Hyper 212 EVO Win 7 64 QNIX 2710 Evolution II Logitech G110 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W Rosewill THOR V2 Gaming Logitech G502 Proteus Core Cyber Snipa TRACER 
Audio
Logitech G35 Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
Blood Dragon
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-4670K MSI Z87-G45 Gaming LGA 1150 MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G  G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 2133 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Hyper 212 EVO Win 7 64 QNIX 2710 Evolution II Logitech G110 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W Rosewill THOR V2 Gaming Logitech G502 Proteus Core Cyber Snipa TRACER 
Audio
Logitech G35 Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeSC View Post
its my understanding that if you fry a vrm the card will not work at all. Am I incorrect? I just finished a heaven bench at 850@1075mv and played bfbc2 for an hour at the same settings. I doubt that would work with a fried VRM?
Actually not quite. Weird story. With my second 570 I was benching it on the new furmark when the latest version was first released and smelled the melting smell, then I shut the PC off at the PSU. Weird thing is it booted up ok and ran fine for about a week. No artifacting or anything, no more burning smell. I gamed with it at its normal overclock repeatedly. The card finally kicked the bucket after a week when I was playing Metro. I took the cooler off and sure enough, melted VRM. The explanation for this from what I read by local GPU wizard pizzaman is the reason these cards are dying from the VRM phases melting is because the metal liquifies and then actually leaks onto the PCB and contacts another elctrical surface causing a short.
Edited by Shredicus - 4/7/11 at 8:47pm
Albino Sasquatch
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-760 @ 4.1ghz MSI H55-GD65 LGA 1156 MSI GTX580 @ 850/2000 1.1v 4GB DDR3 Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Kingston 64GB SSD/ 1 TB WD Win7 Ultimate x64 HannsG 28" LCD - 1200p Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
TT Black Widow 850w White NZXT Phantom (modded) Cyborg R.A.T. 7 
  hide details  
Reply
Albino Sasquatch
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-760 @ 4.1ghz MSI H55-GD65 LGA 1156 MSI GTX580 @ 850/2000 1.1v 4GB DDR3 Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Kingston 64GB SSD/ 1 TB WD Win7 Ultimate x64 HannsG 28" LCD - 1200p Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
TT Black Widow 850w White NZXT Phantom (modded) Cyborg R.A.T. 7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredicus View Post
Actually not quite. Weird story. With my second 570 I was benching it on the new furmark when the latest version was first released and smelled the melting smell, then I shut the PC off at the PSU. Weird thing is it booted up ok and ran fine for about a week. No artifacting or anything, no more burning smell. I gamed with it at its normal overclock repeatedly. The card finally kicked the bucket after a week when I was playing Metro. I took the cooler off and sure enough, melted VRM. The explanation for this from what I read by local GPU wizard pizzaman is the reason these cards are dying from the VRM phases melting is because the metal liquifies and then actually leaks onto the PCB and contacts another elctrical surface causing a short.
I'm not sure your wizard pizzaman knows that to "liquify" the metal in the caps require a bit more than 100c, and he is wrong by a few hundreds of degrees there.

Actually what happens is that the cap of the VRMs melt (they are made of cheap plastic along with the PCB), and the VRM internals does a little "kaboom" from excessive volts and heat. There is no metal "liquifying" of any sorts.
Because of plastic melting, there might be a contact exposure between the layers, yes.

Along with that, the soldering, which is the weakest link, might have answered the question "which is the coolers card around?" wrong and got kicked out by anne robinson, and the VRM is now off from its place and is just being held by the cooler only.


And to the OP:
Search for any burn marks, anything which might look like a melt soldering, or the sort.
I don't know how galaxy warranty, so don't know if its ok to open the card or not.
Main system
(16 items)
 
Editing PC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
E5-1680v2 AMD FirePro D700 AMD FirePro D700 64GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
1TB PCIE SSD OSX 10.10.x Dell U2713H Mac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Main system
(16 items)
 
Editing PC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
E5-1680v2 AMD FirePro D700 AMD FirePro D700 64GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
1TB PCIE SSD OSX 10.10.x Dell U2713H Mac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
I'm not sure your wizard pizzaman knows that to "liquify" the metal in the caps require a bit more than 100c, and he is wrong by a few hundreds of degrees there.

Actually what happens is that the cap of the VRMs melt (they are made of cheap plastic along with the PCB), and the VRM internals does a little "kaboom" from excessive volts and heat. There is no metal "liquifying" of any sorts.
Because of plastic melting, there might be a contact exposure between the layers, yes.

Along with that, the soldering, which is the weakest link, might have answered the question "which is the coolers card around?" wrong and got kicked out by anne robinson, and the VRM is now off from its place and is just being held by the cooler only.


And to the OP:
Search for any burn marks, anything which might look like a melt soldering, or the sort.
I don't know how galaxy warranty, so don't know if its ok to open the card or not.
It's entirely possible that I misquoted him actually, or just outright misinterpreted what he was saying. Think he mentioned the solder though... let me try and find the post.

http://www.overclock.net/12493635-post274.html

yeah, leaky solder
Edited by Shredicus - 4/8/11 at 1:45am
Albino Sasquatch
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-760 @ 4.1ghz MSI H55-GD65 LGA 1156 MSI GTX580 @ 850/2000 1.1v 4GB DDR3 Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Kingston 64GB SSD/ 1 TB WD Win7 Ultimate x64 HannsG 28" LCD - 1200p Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
TT Black Widow 850w White NZXT Phantom (modded) Cyborg R.A.T. 7 
  hide details  
Reply
Albino Sasquatch
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-760 @ 4.1ghz MSI H55-GD65 LGA 1156 MSI GTX580 @ 850/2000 1.1v 4GB DDR3 Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Kingston 64GB SSD/ 1 TB WD Win7 Ultimate x64 HannsG 28" LCD - 1200p Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
TT Black Widow 850w White NZXT Phantom (modded) Cyborg R.A.T. 7 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Uh oh. GTX 570 Red Screen?