Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › 4.0+ Overclock??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

4.0+ Overclock?? - Page 3

post #21 of 33
2500K@4.8ghz Gigabyte P67A-UD5 gaming for hours on end 12-14hrs =128F/32C as others have said no reason for water cooling and most of the recommended Coolers will do better then those "low end water cooled setups" the cooler in my sig is what Im using and It was only 35.00 changed the fan to Phobya Nano-G 12 PWM reviewed here http://bit.ly/fIgvbB
TRiBaL_FiShII
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5-B3 SLI - MSI 560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
PlextorM3 Pro Series SSD x2 Western Digital Black Phantek PH-TC14PE W7x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" HP 2710m X2 Max Keyboard Cherry Reds w/ Red LEDS WASD yello... Seasonic X-1050w TrIBAL_fISh M0d 
MouseMouse Pad
Mionix NAOS 5000 SteelSeries Qck 
  hide details  
Reply
TRiBaL_FiShII
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5-B3 SLI - MSI 560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
PlextorM3 Pro Series SSD x2 Western Digital Black Phantek PH-TC14PE W7x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" HP 2710m X2 Max Keyboard Cherry Reds w/ Red LEDS WASD yello... Seasonic X-1050w TrIBAL_fISh M0d 
MouseMouse Pad
Mionix NAOS 5000 SteelSeries Qck 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by justarealguy View Post
Liquid cooling / air cooling will never get you below ambient temperatures. You have to understand that the goal with these systems are to take the heat of the processor and whisk it away to be disspiated to the rest of the room.

To get 4.9-5.2 you'll need to get lucky with your chip firstly, secondly you may need more cooling than a h50 to disspiate a chip at 5GHz.
So what would you recommend instead of the H50? And should I use a compound too or will water be fine?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3770k Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 EVGA GeForce GTX 980 ACX 2.0 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Patriot Viper 3 Intel Extreme Masters 32GB Limi... Kingston V300 Asus BW-12b1st Corsair H60 
OSMonitorPowerCase
OS X Yosemite Seiki SE39UY04 4K UHD TV Seasonic 700 Watt 80 Plus Fractal Design Define R4 
MouseAudio
Gigabyte Force M7 Thor Samson Resolv SE5 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3770k Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 EVGA GeForce GTX 980 ACX 2.0 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Patriot Viper 3 Intel Extreme Masters 32GB Limi... Kingston V300 Asus BW-12b1st Corsair H60 
OSMonitorPowerCase
OS X Yosemite Seiki SE39UY04 4K UHD TV Seasonic 700 Watt 80 Plus Fractal Design Define R4 
MouseAudio
Gigabyte Force M7 Thor Samson Resolv SE5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhysLadhani View Post
So what would you recommend instead of the H50? And should I use a compound too or will water be fine?
I don't understand what you mean by a compound. Do you mean an additive to the loop? No, you don't touch anything because it's a closed system. You will not have to perform maintenance on a H50 for the foreseeable future.

If you mean a thermal compound between the CPU and the waterblock, then yes, of course.
Bye Bye 775
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz ASUS P8P67 PRO MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition  2x4gb Ripjaws@1866MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
840Pro 128 | 3xWD Vraptor | 1.5TB Green LG 6X Blu-ray /HD-DVD combo Win7 Ultimate 64bit 2 x U2311H 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G710+ Corsair HX620 Corsair 600t Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
Bye Bye 775
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz ASUS P8P67 PRO MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition  2x4gb Ripjaws@1866MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
840Pro 128 | 3xWD Vraptor | 1.5TB Green LG 6X Blu-ray /HD-DVD combo Win7 Ultimate 64bit 2 x U2311H 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G710+ Corsair HX620 Corsair 600t Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhysLadhani View Post
So what would you recommend instead of the H50? And should I use a compound too or will water be fine?
Just as justarealguy said in the previous post, if you mean the material between the heatsink/waterblock and cpu, this is standard and a necessity. You should never build without it. About the H50, many top-end air coolers match or better the performance of it. If you have your mind set on liquid cooling and are gonna spend that kind of cash, you would do well with a XSPC Rasa kit. On the other hand, if you are new to the computer building game and are looking for more simplicity with installation, then in my opinion a top-end air cooler may yield better results and more convenience in the build. But as others have said, with the way the Sandy Bridge chips are running, you should be confident in your performance on a worthy heatsink/fan.
Edited by metal_gunjee - 4/10/11 at 8:22pm
Lounge Machine
(17 items)
 
Doc Wallace
(14 items)
 
Cap'n Crunch
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5-2500K @ 4.70 GHz Asus P8P67 Pro XFX Double D R9 280 [1200/1600] 8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-2133 [9-11-10-28] 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Mushkin Chronos 120GB SATA3 Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB Asus DRW-24B1ST XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro x64 Asus VH236H Rosewill RK-7300 Rosewill RX750-S-B 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Lancool PC-K62 Logitech Mx518 Realtek HD 192KHz Visiontek Killer 2100 NIC 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.80 GHz ASRock 770iCafe AM3+ EVGA Geforce GTX 460 1GB 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Nova 30GB WD Caviar Blue 640GB Lite-On DVDRW Corsair H50 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Pro x64 Asus VH236H Corsair CX430 Diablotek EVO RPA-6170 
Mouse
Logitech LX3 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon 3060 @ 3.6GHz MSI P35 Platinum EVGA Geforce GTS 250 512MB 2GB OCZ Fatal1ty + 2GB ADATA Premier DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung HD161HJ DVDRW Xigmatek Dark Knight Windows 7 Home Premium x64 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Compaq S1922A Cheifmax 650W Raidmax Smilodon EB Logitech LX3 
  hide details  
Reply
Lounge Machine
(17 items)
 
Doc Wallace
(14 items)
 
Cap'n Crunch
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5-2500K @ 4.70 GHz Asus P8P67 Pro XFX Double D R9 280 [1200/1600] 8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-2133 [9-11-10-28] 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Mushkin Chronos 120GB SATA3 Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB Asus DRW-24B1ST XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro x64 Asus VH236H Rosewill RK-7300 Rosewill RX750-S-B 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Lancool PC-K62 Logitech Mx518 Realtek HD 192KHz Visiontek Killer 2100 NIC 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.80 GHz ASRock 770iCafe AM3+ EVGA Geforce GTX 460 1GB 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Nova 30GB WD Caviar Blue 640GB Lite-On DVDRW Corsair H50 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Pro x64 Asus VH236H Corsair CX430 Diablotek EVO RPA-6170 
Mouse
Logitech LX3 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon 3060 @ 3.6GHz MSI P35 Platinum EVGA Geforce GTS 250 512MB 2GB OCZ Fatal1ty + 2GB ADATA Premier DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung HD161HJ DVDRW Xigmatek Dark Knight Windows 7 Home Premium x64 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Compaq S1922A Cheifmax 650W Raidmax Smilodon EB Logitech LX3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 33
SB 2500K or 2600K if you need the HT performance and a nice P67
The Crushinator
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K Asus P8P67 Pro MSI Twin Frozer 465 1GB Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial m4 64GB WD Caviar Blue 320GB Lite-On DVD Multi Recorder Corsair H80 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional HP 17 Inch 1440x900 Cooler Master Silent Pro 600w Cooler Master HAF 912 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G400 Soft 
  hide details  
Reply
The Crushinator
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K Asus P8P67 Pro MSI Twin Frozer 465 1GB Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial m4 64GB WD Caviar Blue 320GB Lite-On DVD Multi Recorder Corsair H80 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional HP 17 Inch 1440x900 Cooler Master Silent Pro 600w Cooler Master HAF 912 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G400 Soft 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by justarealguy View Post
I don't understand what you mean by a compound. Do you mean an additive to the loop? No, you don't touch anything because it's a closed system. You will not have to perform maintenance on a H50 for the foreseeable future.

If you mean a thermal compound between the CPU and the waterblock, then yes, of course.
By compound i mean an additive to the liquid. I know the H50 is a no maintainence system, but I'm wondering if water alone would be enough to keep the temps low, or if I should add something to it, assuming I'm using a different cooling kit, one where I have the option to change the setup and liquid.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3770k Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 EVGA GeForce GTX 980 ACX 2.0 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Patriot Viper 3 Intel Extreme Masters 32GB Limi... Kingston V300 Asus BW-12b1st Corsair H60 
OSMonitorPowerCase
OS X Yosemite Seiki SE39UY04 4K UHD TV Seasonic 700 Watt 80 Plus Fractal Design Define R4 
MouseAudio
Gigabyte Force M7 Thor Samson Resolv SE5 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3770k Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 EVGA GeForce GTX 980 ACX 2.0 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Patriot Viper 3 Intel Extreme Masters 32GB Limi... Kingston V300 Asus BW-12b1st Corsair H60 
OSMonitorPowerCase
OS X Yosemite Seiki SE39UY04 4K UHD TV Seasonic 700 Watt 80 Plus Fractal Design Define R4 
MouseAudio
Gigabyte Force M7 Thor Samson Resolv SE5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal_gunjee View Post
Just as justarealguy said in the previous post, if you mean the material between the heatsink/waterblock and cpu, this is standard and a necessity. You should never build without it. About the H50, many top-end air coolers match or better the performance of it. If you have your mind set on liquid cooling and are gonna spend that kind of cash, you would do well with a XSPC Rasa kit. On the other hand, if you are new to the computer building game and are looking for more simplicity with installation, then in my opinion a top-end air cooler may yield better results and more convenience in the build. But as others have said, with the way the Sandy Bridge chips are running, you should be confident in your performance on a worthy heatsink/fan.
If I decided to go air instead of liquid, what heatsink would you recommend and does the thermal paste make a difference? Would you recommend a certain thermal paste or will any thermal paste do? I've heard that some pastes dissipate heat better than others. Any truth to this?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3770k Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 EVGA GeForce GTX 980 ACX 2.0 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Patriot Viper 3 Intel Extreme Masters 32GB Limi... Kingston V300 Asus BW-12b1st Corsair H60 
OSMonitorPowerCase
OS X Yosemite Seiki SE39UY04 4K UHD TV Seasonic 700 Watt 80 Plus Fractal Design Define R4 
MouseAudio
Gigabyte Force M7 Thor Samson Resolv SE5 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3770k Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 EVGA GeForce GTX 980 ACX 2.0 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Patriot Viper 3 Intel Extreme Masters 32GB Limi... Kingston V300 Asus BW-12b1st Corsair H60 
OSMonitorPowerCase
OS X Yosemite Seiki SE39UY04 4K UHD TV Seasonic 700 Watt 80 Plus Fractal Design Define R4 
MouseAudio
Gigabyte Force M7 Thor Samson Resolv SE5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhysLadhani View Post
By compound i mean an additive to the liquid. I know the H50 is a no maintainence system, but I'm wondering if water alone would be enough to keep the temps low, or if I should add something to it, assuming I'm using a different cooling kit, one where I have the option to change the setup and liquid.
If that's the case, the h50 is out of the question unless you want to mod it.

It seems to be that you really need to look up on the variety of cooling systems available to you and how they work.

Wikipedia has a nice writeup.

For i5 overclocking needs, a H50/60/70 or a solid tower cooler will do you very well. If this is your first build, I'd hold out on the water until you gain an understanding of how your system will work, overclocking. Essentially my suggestion is stick with the basics for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhysLadhani View Post
If I decided to go air instead of liquid, what heatsink would you recommend and does the thermal paste make a difference? Would you recommend a certain thermal paste or will any thermal paste do? I've heard that some pastes dissipate heat better than others. Any truth to this?
Thermal paste does not disspiate heat. The job of thermal paste is to transfer the heat from the chip to the base of the heatpipes/waterblock. Then the heat is whisked away to a radiator / heatsink and dissipated to the rest of the room.
Bye Bye 775
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz ASUS P8P67 PRO MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition  2x4gb Ripjaws@1866MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
840Pro 128 | 3xWD Vraptor | 1.5TB Green LG 6X Blu-ray /HD-DVD combo Win7 Ultimate 64bit 2 x U2311H 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G710+ Corsair HX620 Corsair 600t Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
Bye Bye 775
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz ASUS P8P67 PRO MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition  2x4gb Ripjaws@1866MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
840Pro 128 | 3xWD Vraptor | 1.5TB Green LG 6X Blu-ray /HD-DVD combo Win7 Ultimate 64bit 2 x U2311H 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G710+ Corsair HX620 Corsair 600t Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by justarealguy View Post
If that's the case, the h50 is out of the question unless you want to mod it.

It seems to be that you really need to look up on the variety of cooling systems available to you and how they work.

Wikipedia has a nice writeup.

For i5 overclocking needs, a H50/60/70 or a solid tower cooler will do you very well. If this is your first build, I'd hold out on the water until you gain an understanding of how your system will work, overclocking. Essentially my suggestion is stick with the basics for now.



Thermal paste does not disspiate heat. The job of thermal paste is to transfer the heat from the chip to the base of the heatpipes/waterblock. Then the heat is whisked away to a radiator / heatsink and dissipated to the rest of the room.

Sorry, I may have worded that wrong. I meant do some thermal pastes transfer heat "better" than others (factually, not subjectively). Also, I know that the H50 would need to be modded to add a compound. I wasn't asking if I should add a compound to the H50, I was asking if water alone (H50) would be sufficient for cooling the 2500k at 4.8Ghz-5.2Ghz, or if I should pick another cooling system that allows me to change the water to compound ratio. Also, I've asked multiple people in this thread what they think, and I can't seem to get a straight answer. Everybody just has a definition to give me.

So to everyone in this thread:
1. I know how liquid cooling works
2. I know how air cooling works
3. I know that thermal paste is a necessity and how it works
4. I know temps and voltages don't affect how far I could push my potential i5 2500k

So back to the original question.

How, liquid or otherwise, would you recommend I cool the 2500k? I'd also like to know if it is true that some thermal pastes TRANSFER heat better than others. If you can give me a straight answer to those 2 questions, then I'd appreciate it if you answered my third:

My last PC I didn't "build." It started as a Dell XPS420 Studio, and ended up being 2 computers I had around my house put together (meaning I took the better parts from each setup and put them together in one system). The problem was with my video card (ATI 2600XT). It seemed to be getting really hot. Not hot enough to burn out, but hot enough where the heat was causing cooling problems for my CPU (q6600). Was this just due to age, is this something that was just a problem in older GPUs (2007), has this been fixed with ATI processors, or do I need to start looking into some form of GPU cooling? The ATI 2600XT only had the stock fan on it.

Thanks guys.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3770k Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 EVGA GeForce GTX 980 ACX 2.0 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Patriot Viper 3 Intel Extreme Masters 32GB Limi... Kingston V300 Asus BW-12b1st Corsair H60 
OSMonitorPowerCase
OS X Yosemite Seiki SE39UY04 4K UHD TV Seasonic 700 Watt 80 Plus Fractal Design Define R4 
MouseAudio
Gigabyte Force M7 Thor Samson Resolv SE5 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3770k Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 EVGA GeForce GTX 980 ACX 2.0 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Patriot Viper 3 Intel Extreme Masters 32GB Limi... Kingston V300 Asus BW-12b1st Corsair H60 
OSMonitorPowerCase
OS X Yosemite Seiki SE39UY04 4K UHD TV Seasonic 700 Watt 80 Plus Fractal Design Define R4 
MouseAudio
Gigabyte Force M7 Thor Samson Resolv SE5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhysLadhani View Post
Sorry, I may have worded that wrong. I meant do some thermal pastes transfer heat "better" than others (factually, not subjectively). Also, I know that the H50 would need to be modded to add a compound. I wasn't asking if I should add a compound to the H50, I was asking if water alone (H50) would be sufficient for cooling the 2500k at 4.8Ghz-5.2Ghz, or if I should pick another cooling system that allows me to change the water to compound ratio. Also, I've asked multiple people in this thread what they think, and I can't seem to get a straight answer. Everybody just has a definition to give me.
Sorry, it's difficult to gauge what people are saying because text is so ambiguous .

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhysLadhani View Post
How, liquid or otherwise, would you recommend I cool the 2500k? I'd also like to know if it is true that some thermal pastes TRANSFER heat better than others.
1) Honestly, any high end cooling solution will do you well. A large tower will do you well, a H50/60/70 will get you a few celsius lower temperatures and a full blown watercooling setup will shave off a few more C.

2) Yes, there is some debate, I don't care too much for thermal paste myself. I'm still using AS5 and getting acceptable temps so whatever. Some say Shin-Etsu is great, others say the OCZ stuff is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhysLadhani View Post
My last PC I didn't "build." It started as a Dell XPS420 Studio, and ended up being 2 computers I had around my house put together (meaning I took the better parts from each setup and put them together in one system). The problem was with my video card (ATI 2600XT). It seemed to be getting really hot. Not hot enough to burn out, but hot enough where the heat was causing cooling problems for my CPU (q6600). Was this just due to age, is this something that was just a problem in older GPUs (2007), has this been fixed with ATI processors, or do I need to start looking into some form of GPU cooling? The ATI 2600XT only had the stock fan on it.
How hot? How much airflow was in the case? How much dust buildup was there? Lots of variables that need to be considered. Most reference GPU coolers on the high end cards get the job done. I can say from experience that the 6950/6970 cards run hot. Definitely look in to an aftermarket cooler unless you like a loud blowing fan.
Bye Bye 775
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz ASUS P8P67 PRO MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition  2x4gb Ripjaws@1866MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
840Pro 128 | 3xWD Vraptor | 1.5TB Green LG 6X Blu-ray /HD-DVD combo Win7 Ultimate 64bit 2 x U2311H 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G710+ Corsair HX620 Corsair 600t Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
Bye Bye 775
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz ASUS P8P67 PRO MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition  2x4gb Ripjaws@1866MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
840Pro 128 | 3xWD Vraptor | 1.5TB Green LG 6X Blu-ray /HD-DVD combo Win7 Ultimate 64bit 2 x U2311H 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G710+ Corsair HX620 Corsair 600t Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › 4.0+ Overclock??