I will post some pics later I took of the Mionix Zibal 60. But, for now I will post my impressions of the board. Going to post this on Geehack, and on OCN.
- Plastic for the construction of the board seemed cheap to me compared to the Filco. Not sure what the difference is, but just seemed cheap.
- Keycaps as posted on geekhack are I believe exactly the same as Xarmor's, and Razor's. They are I believe lazer etched with a clear coat on them. Overall compared to the Filco's they seemed to be very similar because of the coat, but a little heavier in feel. Possibly a thicker coat was applied.
- Front lip of the keyboard is too large, not a major deal. Although, it made me appreciate the smaller Filco style. Wouldn't be as a big deal either if the plastic seemed nicer.
- Back lighting as some might expect is fairly low compared to a Deck, and maybe even a Xarmor board. Didn't light up the whole keys, and unlike some reports with the Xarmor lights not lighting up the whole keys... I think these are even dimmer. With that said, I really do like the color of the lights. One of the reasons I decided to try it out. The board features WASD lighting only, which I thought was a nice feature.
- Board is fairly heavy, I think they list it at 3.4 pounds. Their are 4 grip feet are rectangular. No grip feet on legs. The feet seemed decent compared to most boards out there.
- Wrist rest just seemed cheap to me. It does hook on pretty well, and can be taken off fairly easily. If you take it off, and on you would risk breaking it. A good added feature, but not of very high quality. Same plastic as board it appears.
- The stabilizer keys had little movement compared to my Filco. Which was probably one of the biggest positives of the board. They didn't rattle much at all.
- Stabilizers in the front spacebar can be easily seen which I found to be ugly. They can also be seen from the Insert key on the number pad in the front of the keyboard.
- When bottoming out the keys sounded entirely different than my Filco. I didn't find the noise overall as satisfying. Although, the board seemed more quiet than my Filco.
I didn't see the quality here, and I am usually good at noticing quality in all products I see. This board seemed cheaper than the Xarmor U9BL, and I would actually take the Xarmor over this board. I think the design of the board is too big. Back lighting is average at best. Just seems not worth the 150 for those who are interested.
After using more:
Edit: Bottoming out is just harder on the blacks, otherwise sound is very similar. Plastic may not be so cheap, same as Meka G1 it appears, and supposedly survived by getting ran over by a car. So quality still may be good there (which is what matters).
Back lighting after looking at it more is very weak compared to the Xarmor, and obviously the Deck boards. The color of the lighting is more yellow in person then you might expect.
I am taking back the board mainly just because I used the blacks, and found them to be too stiff overall, and especially for typing. I can see why some people might prefer them for gaming. Overall though the black switch required a lot more effort than the red switch I am using now. That was indeed the deal breaker.
I also found the board to be a little ugly, just based on the fact that the plastic seemed cheap (even if it isn't) and then the extra size of the board with the front lip. In addition, the stabilizers showing with the space bar, and the insert key from the front was not visually appealing.
Considering that the Meka G1 got decent reviews from most users, and that this keyboard has back lighting to go with it (even if its not the best back lighting) its still not a bad board. Still worth it to spend more to get the lighting, and to get rid of the logo from the Meka G1. I would rate this board then a 7.5 out of 10. Based on the ugly design (plastic), and below average back lighting (which I am sure plenty of people will have a problem with).
Would have been nice since the back lighting is average/poor, to have more options (besides just WASD) to move the back lighting to other specific keys would have really helped make this board more special.
Edited by Trueepower - 7/12/11 at 10:46pm