Overclock.net banner

Not sure if serious Thermaltake

1K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  hammerhead300 
#1 ·
Why does thermaltake keep pumping out garbage? I keep seeing thermaltake launching new items with all sorts of hooplah around them for no reason. Its cases keep getting more popular at LANs as well which is beyond my comprehension as a relatively logical human being. Apparently this is its latest abomination.

I would honestly like to know who would choose this case over a case from ANY other brand that is the same form factor. It looks like a cheap plastic child's toy with awful options.

See less See more
#6 ·
I quite like some of Tt's Products. They have good and bad like everyone else. I wouldn't trade my case for anything else TBH

#7 ·
The most entertaining release was definitely the level 10 GT which is claimed to be an enthusiast watercooling case... puhlease thermaltake... stop lying to yourself. Last LAN I went to a thermaltake rep said that my rig would be better off in a thermaltake armor or sword. He must have been stoned on something good. I'd like to know what it is.

Most of their new stuff is all plastic... cmon thermaltake... at least do what CM did and step it up a little

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain318
View Post

I quite like some of Tt's Products. They have good and bad like everyone else. I wouldn't trade my case for anything else TBH

the Thermaltake Armor's case are qute nice
best case line I have ever seen as far as being big and stong
ways a ton tho, not that I care
my case hapens to be a remix of the Armor line

as Captain318 pated, some Tt's Products are nice while thers are just plane junk

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3dfxvoodoo
View Post

the Thermaltake Armor's case are qute nice
best case line I have ever seen as far as being big and stong
ways a ton tho, not that I care
my case hapens to be a remix of the Armor line

Thermaltake seems to go for WOW over quality, attention in any way it can get it. Some cases are good while others are garbage like the one in the OP (my opinion any case with plastic is kinda lousy). Every TT case I've seen that's been promoted as top of the line is just far from it. It's like they've never touched a Danger Den, Case Labs, Mountain Mods, or Little Devil Case before.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Limes
View Post

People like the look? I can say the same thing about certain cases and turn a thread into a flame war. Everyone has different tastes.

true, it's less about the look and more about the quality. There's so much plastic on the exterior it won't hold up to abuse.

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by fat_italian_stallion
View Post

The most entertaining release was definitely the level 10 GT which is claimed to be an enthusiast watercooling case... puhlease thermaltake... stop lying to yourself. Last LAN I went to a thermaltake rep said that my rig would be better off in a thermaltake armor or sword. He must have been stoned on something good. I'd like to know what it is.

Most of their new stuff is all plastic... cmon thermaltake... at least do what CM did and step it up a little

I'm not gonna lie, your case strikes me as hideous. I've never likd those weird box shaped cases. Dont get me wrong, I'm sure it's very functional and well built, but I could never have something like that sitting on my desk/floor. Still, it's certainly an improvement over the "black server box" that a lot of OCNers seems to like like the Fractal R3 and corsair's offerings.

On that same token I'm sure there are a plethora of folks who think my beautiful Phantom with it's seductive curves is a gross heap.

Personal tastes are what keep us human ._.

Also please no lockmongering. This is a forum, short for a forum of public opinion. in this thread people will divulge their opinions.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shredicus
View Post

I'm not gonna lie, your case strikes me as hideous. I've never likd those weird box shaped cases. Dont get me wrong, I'm sure it's very functional and well built, but I could never have something like that sitting on my desk/floor. Still, it's certainly an improvement over the "black server box" that a lot of OCNers seems to like like the Fractal R3 and corsair's offerings.

On that same token I'm sure there are a plethora of folks who think my beautiful Phantom with it's seductive curves is a gross heap.

I honestly don't think it's amazing looking either, but there's no other case to fit that much cooling in. I would have preferred something different, but it wasn't realistic at the time (i.e. didn't have $1500 to have a custom one made).

Here's a similar case that thermaltake seems to have made "right"

It lacks all of the plastic which make it structurally inferior. It's not all about what the case looks like, but instead it's strength and integrity.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by shredicus
View Post

personal tastes are what keep us human ._.

qft

#13 ·
So we're discussing this again, hm? No reason to lock it... and seriously, the original Armor made a very good name for itself, it's a shame the follow-up didn't deliver as well. Once in a while they will produce something decent to good but that's long become a rare thing for the company.

#14 ·
Quote:

View Post

I honestly don't think it's amazing looking either, but there's no other case to fit that much cooling in.

Here's a similar case that thermaltake seems to have made "right"

It lacks all of the plastic which make it structurally inferior

Ugh, looks like a friggin DVD player from 2003.

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunky_Chimp
View Post

So we're discussing this again, hm? No reason to lock it... and seriously, the original Armor made a very good name for itself, it's a shame the follow-up didn't deliver as well. Once in a while they will produce something decent to good but that's long become a rare thing for the company.

Their original line up was great then it seems to have gone way down hill from there, around the point where the bigwater system was introduced. It still makes some good cases, but seem to be few and war between

Quote:

View Post

Ugh, looks like a friggin DVD player from 2003.

agreed, but it's solid metal unlike the OP. A friend has a thermaltake level 10gt and has parts falling off of it already (plastic parts of course), which is why I suppose it sells for so cheap compared to the original.

#17 ·
Quote:

View Post

Why does thermaltake keep pumping out garbage? I keep seeing thermaltake launching new items with all sorts of hooplah around them for no reason. Its cases keep getting more popular at LANs as well which is beyond my comprehension as a relatively logical human being. Apparently this is its latest abomination.

I would honestly like to know who would choose this case over a case from ANY other brand that is the same form factor. It looks like a cheap plastic child's toy with awful options.

A cheap looking lan case with no carrying handle?
LOLWHAT?

#18 ·
Quote:

View Post

Their original line up was great then it seems to have gone way down hill from there, around the point where the bigwater system was introduced. It still makes some good cases, but seem to be few and war between

agreed, but it's solid metal unlike the OP. A friend has a thermaltake level 10gt and has parts falling off of it already (plastic parts of course), which is why I suppose it sells for so cheap compared to the original.

Speaking of solid construction, my current case is made out of steel. I think my dremel almost melted when I was trying to mod the side panel. But at least i have the peace of mind that if anyone ever mistakes my computer for the android that killed their wife and attacks it with a machete, the damage will only be cosmetic :>

#19 ·
Quote:

View Post

Speaking of solid construction, my current case is made out of steel. I think my dremel almost melted when I was trying to mod the side panel. But at least i have the peace of mind that if anyone ever mistakes my computer for the android that killed their wife and attacks it with a machete, the damage will only be cosmetic :>

Just like I don't have to worry about mine getting stolen at lans or any parts getting jacked. It's 126 lbs and can't open it without hex keys

#20 ·
Quote:

View Post

Just like I don't have to worry about mine getting stolen at lans or any parts getting jacked. It's 126 lbs and can't open it without hex keys

126 .lbs, that's fking BOSS

I'm just imagining the stereotypical-bespectacled scrawny nerd eyeing your hardware with envy and trying to steal your case with no avail, and then fruitlessly trying todrag it across the floor.

Imagine a chipmunk trying to steal a brick for proper mental depiction.

#22 ·
Quote:

View Post

Also please no lockmongering. This is a forum, short for a forum of public opinion. in this thread people will divulge their opinions.

This.

I kind of feel depressed about the OCN community when I see threads where people get into huge altercations about "refined cases" and "ricer cases", etc.

Arguing about cases is so futile because beyond like cooling and cable management options they are almost completely a matter of subjective preference. The only thing that counts is whether the person using it is happy with it.

As far as Thermaltake, I kind of agree that they have been missing the mark recently as far as features go, they've really been behind the curve in implementing cable management. But the fact that they're still in business obviously means that there are people out there that like Tt cases.

#23 ·
Quote:

View Post

126 .lbs, that's fking BOSS

Thankfully I have a rather large truck so I can fit it safely and a collapsible dolly to move it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jach11
View Post

mountain mods FTW!!

I honestly wouldn't buy one of their cases again, but I would have them manufacture a custom designed case for me since they can do so rather inexpensively. They just don't hold enough rads and some places where I'd like to put them won't allow them to fit properly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentHydra
View Post

This.

I kind of feel depressed about the OCN community when I see threads where people get into huge altercations about "refined cases" and "ricer cases", etc.

Arguing about cases is so futile because beyond like cooling and cable management options they are almost completely a matter of subjective preference. The only thing that counts is whether the person using it is happy with it.

As far as Thermaltake, I kind of agree that they have been missing the mark recently as far as features go, they've really been behind the curve in implementing cable management. But the fact that they're still in business obviously means that there are people out there that like Tt cases.

I think a majority of people classify cases as "ricer" cases if they have inferior construction and tons of plastic everywhere with meaningless/ poorly made parts. The thermaltake sword is the epitome of a "high end" case that's ricer. It has hinges everywhere that make it structurally unsound.

Most TT cases seem to sell bc everything else in that price range is of similar build quality, with the exception of their higher end cases. Most people are financially restricted so spending $400 on a case when $70 will do the job just can't be justified in most cases.

#25 ·
Quote:

View Post

Thankfully I have a rather large truck so I can fit it safely and a collapsible dolly to move it.

I honestly wouldn't buy one of their cases again, but I would have them manufacture a custom designed case for me since they can do so rather inexpensively. They just don't hold enough rads and some places where I'd like to put them won't allow them to fit properly.

Have you thought about Case Labs case? I heard nothing but good things about it. I think its 4 or 5 480's you can mount..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.