New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Testing a website - Page 3

post #21 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingDivs View Post
I attached an image to show you the issue in Chrome. The problem is that you're floating an image to the right without clearing it (you can't, otherwise your paragraphs start underneath the image) so I'll try to find the solution. I'm not sure if it's going to cause any issues, but you still want a nice design.
Thank you.

The only thing that is actually floating is the menu (to make it horizontal) and the image, for formatting. I'm going to try to remove the image on my local server and see what happens.

I have to resize the background image too, make it smaller so it loads faster.
Edited by srsdude - 4/9/11 at 11:51am
post #22 of 34
Thread Starter 
I think I found where the glitch starts to happen
It does this after the menu is selected.
I have to float the menu, otherwise it becomes vertical
Any ideas on how to solve this?

I tried removing the float property from the menu items, but still, no dice.
I actually don't know how to solve this one !
Edited by srsdude - 4/9/11 at 12:14pm
post #23 of 34
Have you cleared the menu?

EDIT: I believe a <div style="clear:both;"></div> after the closing </ul> will do it.

EDIT: Basically, any time you float an object, make sure to "clear" afterwards. Otherwise you get some funky designs. If you need an interesting read on floats, let me know and I'll try to find it again. It was very thorough and in-depth.
Edited by floatingDivs - 4/9/11 at 1:29pm
post #24 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingDivs View Post
Have you cleared the menu?

EDIT: I believe a <div style="clear:both;"></div> after the closing </ul> will do it.

EDIT: Basically, any time you float an object, make sure to "clear" afterwards. Otherwise you get some funky designs. If you need an interesting read on floats, let me know and I'll try to find it again. It was very thorough and in-depth.
I will try that right now, thanks

And yes, I'm interested in reading about it, if you still have the link.
post #25 of 34
Make sure to clear for sure. You could try text align center.
Caseless Wonder
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q6600 650i Ultra 9600 512 4gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
4x500gb caviar black dvd burner Windows 7 x64 19inch 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 revision 1 700watt? N/A mx518 
Mouse Pad
none 
  hide details  
Reply
Caseless Wonder
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q6600 650i Ultra 9600 512 4gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
4x500gb caviar black dvd burner Windows 7 x64 19inch 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 revision 1 700watt? N/A mx518 
Mouse Pad
none 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 34
Thread Starter 
Put a div with the clear property, still no dice.
I even removed the menu (literally NO float styling on the whole page), but it looks like the problem is in the very first div that I use, which is #wrapper..

I'm thinking, should I even try to correct this?
It's a chrome-exclusive glitch and it doesn't really impact the layout
post #27 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsdude View Post
Put a div with the clear property, still no dice.
I even removed the menu (literally NO float styling on the whole page), but it looks like the problem is in the very first div that I use, which is #wrapper..

I'm thinking, should I even try to correct this?
It's a chrome-exclusive glitch and it doesn't really impact the layout
Yeah, I'm not sure it matters. I'm anal about these things and it would bug me, but if it doesn't bother you, ignore it! Otherwise, I see no problems.
post #28 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingDivs View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure it matters. I'm anal about these things and it would bug me, but if it doesn't bother you, ignore it! Otherwise, I see no problems.
Thanks.

The target audience for this website would be average computer users who are just interested in getting a new floor.
So I'm looking at 90% Internet Explorer 7 here (sadly), and the bug is chrome-specific.

Did you have a chance to find that link that you told me about?
post #29 of 34
http://css-tricks.com/all-about-floats/

I actually Google'd "all about floats" and it was my first result!

Besides css-tricks.com, the only other site I really read about web development is smashingmagazine.com
Edited by floatingDivs - 4/9/11 at 6:58pm
post #30 of 34
Mind sending me the code? I can probably help you out a little better if I can see it whether it is here or pmed to me.
Caseless Wonder
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q6600 650i Ultra 9600 512 4gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
4x500gb caviar black dvd burner Windows 7 x64 19inch 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 revision 1 700watt? N/A mx518 
Mouse Pad
none 
  hide details  
Reply
Caseless Wonder
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q6600 650i Ultra 9600 512 4gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
4x500gb caviar black dvd burner Windows 7 x64 19inch 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 revision 1 700watt? N/A mx518 
Mouse Pad
none 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Web Coding