Overclock.net banner

HD6970 Temp Concern

4K views 43 replies 18 participants last post by  scorpscarx 
#1 ·
Got my new XRF HD 6970.. It's a beast as expected. Running idle the temp is at 61.5 degrees. During Crysis 2, Dragon Age 2. it goes to about 75... and probably even more. I end up turning my fan speed up through ATI CCC to about 50-60% and just letting it sit there while gaming..

Does this card normally just run hot? I'm assuming so with as much as it's doing, but wanted to ask if there were any recommendations on how to keep it cooler or what I should do while gaming?

Thanks

#5 ·
Yea stock cooler. Any suggestions on aftermarket? I've been told the Shaman from Thermalright and the AXP?

#7 ·
Idle at 60c is not normal, sounds like power play is not working as it should, however 75c is a good full load temp in games so you will be fine
smile.gif
As always, check air flow, hide all cables, get good quality case fans, direct air to the GPU then exhaust it ect ect.

Good Luck mate
smile.gif

#8 ·
How would I feed it more air? I don't have anything below it other than the PSU which is the fan is located on the bottom of it. The cables are for the most part hidden. I have a good 4-6" between the bottom of the card and the PSU. It is however close to the CPU but my CPU idle is 29.5..

#9 ·
So I've installed MSI Afterburner. Enabled the Fan Profile. Right now the card fan is running about 50% and temp is around 51.. Is it good for the card to have the fan speed constant on 50% or should I only turn this on when I'm gaming?

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasys;13061245
So I've installed MSI Afterburner. Enabled the Fan Profile. Right now the card fan is running about 50% and temp is around 51.. Is it good for the card to have the fan speed constant on 50% or should I only turn this on when I'm gaming?
If your card loads at 75c, you don't have a problem, at all. The only issue I can see is idle temps vs noise. Setup a fan profile that you feel comfortable with noise/temp wise.

#13 ·
Now I'm worried, about my load temp that is. I just got this card not an hour ago.

How are my load temp for Furmark after 5 mins? And is the mV a lot for my clocks?

#14 ·
I've got a Thermalright TRUE Black 120 CPU Cooler so my cpu is a lot cooler than normal, but I've got to keep my fan speed at about 44ish in order to maintain a 53C GPU temp. Is your card water cooled?

#15 ·
Was just looking at the Afterburner pic you posted My Core Voltage is blank.. Nothing's there? is that normal? or am I missing something?

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pegasys
View Post

Was just looking at the Afterburner pic you posted My Core Voltage is blank.. Nothing's there? is that normal? or am I missing something?

You need to go Settings and look at Safety properties.

Ya and mines is stock cooler. Do you mind putting your card on Furmark for 5mins and see what temps you get? I feel like changing the stock thermal paste ASUS used.

#17 ·
You're running your fan speed at 28 and you're maintaining a 58C temp?

#18 ·
Ya its at 26% right now and my temps are at 52c.

#19 ·
wow.. I wish I knew what was going on with mine. 27% for me is 61c.

Did you do any extra configuring or anything? extra cooling on your card?

#21 ·
is it fine to have the fan speed constantly on 45-55%?

#22 ·
Quote:

View Post

is it fine to have the fan speed constantly on 45-55%?

If you don't mind the noise.

Quote:

View Post

wow.. I wish I knew what was going on with mine. 27% for me is 61c.

Did you do any extra configuring or anything? extra cooling on your card?

No just right out of the box. Its probably just ambient temps, its 25C in my house right now. What clocks are you at? That might be a factor too.

#23 ·
Mines running about 29-30c, so I guess that's about normal as clocks, I haven't changed anything. Don't know how or what to change to increase performance.

#24 ·
Those are perfectly normal temps for that card I have my card on 35% fan speed and at load is about 75-80 C. At idle I like maintaining a constant fan speed so its about 35-40 C, but when the CPU heats up and the its gets warm in the case then it generally around 40 C

#25 ·
Right, this thread is kind of old but it has the title I need.

I have a 6970 but my load temps for peak stress... Metro at 1920 1200 with ML and MSAA is 99c.

I have tried setting the default fan to stay at a higher speed, but my experience with overdrive is that it does not always scale the fan accurately. Like if I set the base to 50%, it still will not scale the fan high enough for the game. So for general computing and most games, leaving the fan to auto/ default seems to work the best with my idle temp at 50c(always for 5 months/ around 45c in winter).

My ambients are most likely the problem as it is never less than 79f ish right now inside my house, but I have a lot of fans and in the winter I was still able to produce these high temperatures.

I have read over the solutions like reapply paste, etc. Is my only option to basically set the fan to a really high speed before loading a stressing game like Metro?

Even for games like Left 4 Dead/ Killing Floor it runs in the low 90's...

#26 ·
Get MSI Afterburner and make a fan setup where the lowest fan speed is where it is still quiet- i don't know really about the 6970, 6950 fan speed and db ratio. And if your load is @99c then you should be little worried. Because 95c is safe point for this card. Is your card OC'd? Do you have any fans in your case? What is your ambient temps?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.