Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Time to leave nVidia?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Time to leave nVidia? - Page 5

post #41 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by pangolinman View Post
Could i keep my GTS 250 for PhysX?
you can if you want to, but honestly, you should a better nvidia card.

Or just sell it on ebay, screw phsx and go crossfire that 6 series card on your mobo.

In, my opinion i like both ati and nvidia cards, but what ever u do, do not buy from galaxcy. they r really' Le horrible' (i'm learning french at school)
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Atom N455 1.66GHz Pineview 45nm Samsung. Intel GMA 3150 256 MB DDR3 Driver Accelerated Corsair 2GB PC3-8500 800MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveOS
Seagate 250GB 7200RPM HDD Windows 7 Home Premium 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Atom N455 1.66GHz Pineview 45nm Samsung. Intel GMA 3150 256 MB DDR3 Driver Accelerated Corsair 2GB PC3-8500 800MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveOS
Seagate 250GB 7200RPM HDD Windows 7 Home Premium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #42 of 54
no their is never a time to leave nvidia, they are to leet to leave!
Silent Dominator
(28 items)
 
Classy Lady
(26 items)
 
TUF Inside
(18 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
Silent Dominator
(28 items)
 
Classy Lady
(26 items)
 
TUF Inside
(18 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #43 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Wut_Axel View Post
Drivers are mature now, so no problems there. Also, drivers are just as good for both.
Radeons still have driver issues.
The AMD driver set doesn't offer as many features & their inferior/slower at tessellation by a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Wut_Axel View Post
A stock Radeon HD 6950 CF will trash a GTX 580. We're not in 2007/08 anymore.
The GTX 580 isn't made to compete with 2 smaller cards.
Its made to smoke anything out there one on one.
Because thats what many PC enthusiasts want, it sells, and it sells well.

It depends on how you look at price/performance.

You can play any game basically maxed locked at 60FPS with a GTX 580 or an overclocked 570, with onboard PhysX/Cuda/tessellation on, less to no driver issues @ 1080P/1200P/1600P. We don't need another GPU.

It won't be anytime soon for me, I'll be gaming at 1600P soon and for awhile and my 570 rolls/matches 6970's at this resolution.
Edited by amstech - 4/10/11 at 2:16pm
buildX
(16 items)
 
X3Elite (HTPC)
(14 items)
 
Dell XPS L702X
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 930 @ 4.0GHz (24/7) HT/on  Asus P6TD Deluxe Gigabyte 2GB GTX 670 Windforce3X OC  6GB OCZ Gold 1600 (tri-channel) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7.2K 16MB Cache Prolimatech Megahalem Rev.B (Push/Pull) Windows 7 Home Premium 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer X233H Razer BlackWidow Ultimate  OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W XClio Windtunnel 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G502 Proteus Core Tunable  Razer Goliathus 444mm x 355mm - Speed Edition ... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II 720 X3 BE @ 3.2GHz 24/7 MSi 770-G45 Sapphire Radeon HD 6870  8GB GSkill RipJaw 1333Mhz  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB Samsung F3  DVD+-RW  Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit 60" LG 60PA5500 Plasma 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer X1373WH Projector Corsair CX500 Cooler Master 430 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
i5-2430M Intel HD Graphics  Nvidia 1GB GT 550M (GF116) w/Optimus|DX11|144 ... 6GB DDR3  
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
120GB PNY 1311 SSD 500GB 7.2K RPM Windows7 Home Premium 64 17.3" WLED TL 1600 X 900 with 2.0MP HD webcam 
KeyboardCaseAudio
Backlit Keyboard Elemental Silver Aluminum JBL 2.1 W/ Built-in Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
buildX
(16 items)
 
X3Elite (HTPC)
(14 items)
 
Dell XPS L702X
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 930 @ 4.0GHz (24/7) HT/on  Asus P6TD Deluxe Gigabyte 2GB GTX 670 Windforce3X OC  6GB OCZ Gold 1600 (tri-channel) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7.2K 16MB Cache Prolimatech Megahalem Rev.B (Push/Pull) Windows 7 Home Premium 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer X233H Razer BlackWidow Ultimate  OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W XClio Windtunnel 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G502 Proteus Core Tunable  Razer Goliathus 444mm x 355mm - Speed Edition ... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II 720 X3 BE @ 3.2GHz 24/7 MSi 770-G45 Sapphire Radeon HD 6870  8GB GSkill RipJaw 1333Mhz  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB Samsung F3  DVD+-RW  Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit 60" LG 60PA5500 Plasma 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer X1373WH Projector Corsair CX500 Cooler Master 430 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
i5-2430M Intel HD Graphics  Nvidia 1GB GT 550M (GF116) w/Optimus|DX11|144 ... 6GB DDR3  
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
120GB PNY 1311 SSD 500GB 7.2K RPM Windows7 Home Premium 64 17.3" WLED TL 1600 X 900 with 2.0MP HD webcam 
KeyboardCaseAudio
Backlit Keyboard Elemental Silver Aluminum JBL 2.1 W/ Built-in Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #44 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by amstech View Post
Radeons still have driver issues.
The AMD driver set doesn't offer as many features, and their inferior/slower at tessellation.



The GTX 580 isn't made to compete with 2 smaller cards.
Its made to smoke anything out there one on one.
Because thats what many PC enthusiasts want, it sells, and it sells well.

You can play any game basically maxed locked at 60FPS with a GTX 580 or an overclocked 570, with PhysX on/tessellation on, less to no driver issues @ 1080P/1200P/1600P. We don't need another GPU.

It won't be anytime soon for me, I'll be gaming at 1600P soon and for awhile and my 570 rolls/matches 6970's here, a GPU that costs more but offers less.
AMD is worse at extreme tesselation, which is not used in games anyway. Using moderate tesselation they come very close to matcing NVIDIA. And, like I said, in terms of features the only things worth mentioning for these cards are Folding performance and multi-monitor setups. CUDA delivers horrible quality when it comes to encoding, so that's out of the question. Physx is only used in a very small amount of games. So that leaves folding, where NVIDIA GPUs are MUCH better than AMD's and multi-monitor setups, where AMD is better. It all depends on what your needs are.

Also, as for GTX 570 SLI and Radeon HD 6970 CF, I don't know where you got this idea that the 570 matches it at 2560x1600, because it doesn't (it's normally 5-10% slower). Also, they're the same price. Radeon HD 6950 CF is still better than both from a price/performance standpoint, obviously.
Also, you need to pick up a 3rd party board with a GTX 570 if you want a decent power delivery system, and that adds to the cost.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo P7450 @2.7GHz Pegatron G60VX (A12) GeForce GTX 260M 1GB @610/1500/2000 Hynix 4GB DDR2 @1000MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Momentus 7200.4 320GB LG GSA-T50N, HP dvd1170r Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit HP W2207 22" (1680x1050) 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Microsoft Digital media Keyboard 3000 Delta Electronics ADP-120ZB BB 120W Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo P7450 @2.7GHz Pegatron G60VX (A12) GeForce GTX 260M 1GB @610/1500/2000 Hynix 4GB DDR2 @1000MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Momentus 7200.4 320GB LG GSA-T50N, HP dvd1170r Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit HP W2207 22" (1680x1050) 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Microsoft Digital media Keyboard 3000 Delta Electronics ADP-120ZB BB 120W Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #45 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Wut_Axel View Post
Physx is only used in a very small amount of games.
It makes a difference, it can look quite good and its being used more and more. It's a slender mention though agreed. But it is worth mentioning now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Wut_Axel View Post
I don't know where you got this idea that the 570 matches it at 2560x1600 because it doesn't (it's normally 5-10% slower).
Yes the Radeons scale well.
So does Fermi, its nothing noticeable in games they both perform so well. This is where I choose the better driver suite, superior tessellation and PhysX.
Easy choice for me, Not hating, just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Wut_Axel View Post
Radeon HD 6950 CF is still better than both from a price/performance standpoint, obviously.
I'll take the superior driver set everytime, and stock GTX 580 performance for $350 anyday.
The Radeons scale well but unfortunalty I have all the performance I need, now stability and quality is the concern, 2 things I didn't get from my Radeons and 11 months of using AMD drivers.
Edited by amstech - 4/10/11 at 2:29pm
buildX
(16 items)
 
X3Elite (HTPC)
(14 items)
 
Dell XPS L702X
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 930 @ 4.0GHz (24/7) HT/on  Asus P6TD Deluxe Gigabyte 2GB GTX 670 Windforce3X OC  6GB OCZ Gold 1600 (tri-channel) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7.2K 16MB Cache Prolimatech Megahalem Rev.B (Push/Pull) Windows 7 Home Premium 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer X233H Razer BlackWidow Ultimate  OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W XClio Windtunnel 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G502 Proteus Core Tunable  Razer Goliathus 444mm x 355mm - Speed Edition ... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II 720 X3 BE @ 3.2GHz 24/7 MSi 770-G45 Sapphire Radeon HD 6870  8GB GSkill RipJaw 1333Mhz  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB Samsung F3  DVD+-RW  Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit 60" LG 60PA5500 Plasma 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer X1373WH Projector Corsair CX500 Cooler Master 430 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
i5-2430M Intel HD Graphics  Nvidia 1GB GT 550M (GF116) w/Optimus|DX11|144 ... 6GB DDR3  
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
120GB PNY 1311 SSD 500GB 7.2K RPM Windows7 Home Premium 64 17.3" WLED TL 1600 X 900 with 2.0MP HD webcam 
KeyboardCaseAudio
Backlit Keyboard Elemental Silver Aluminum JBL 2.1 W/ Built-in Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
buildX
(16 items)
 
X3Elite (HTPC)
(14 items)
 
Dell XPS L702X
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 930 @ 4.0GHz (24/7) HT/on  Asus P6TD Deluxe Gigabyte 2GB GTX 670 Windforce3X OC  6GB OCZ Gold 1600 (tri-channel) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7.2K 16MB Cache Prolimatech Megahalem Rev.B (Push/Pull) Windows 7 Home Premium 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer X233H Razer BlackWidow Ultimate  OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W XClio Windtunnel 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G502 Proteus Core Tunable  Razer Goliathus 444mm x 355mm - Speed Edition ... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II 720 X3 BE @ 3.2GHz 24/7 MSi 770-G45 Sapphire Radeon HD 6870  8GB GSkill RipJaw 1333Mhz  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB Samsung F3  DVD+-RW  Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit 60" LG 60PA5500 Plasma 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer X1373WH Projector Corsair CX500 Cooler Master 430 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
i5-2430M Intel HD Graphics  Nvidia 1GB GT 550M (GF116) w/Optimus|DX11|144 ... 6GB DDR3  
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
120GB PNY 1311 SSD 500GB 7.2K RPM Windows7 Home Premium 64 17.3" WLED TL 1600 X 900 with 2.0MP HD webcam 
KeyboardCaseAudio
Backlit Keyboard Elemental Silver Aluminum JBL 2.1 W/ Built-in Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #46 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by amstech View Post
Radeons still have driver issues.
The AMD driver set doesn't offer as many features & their inferior/slower at tessellation by a little.


The GTX 580 isn't made to compete with 2 smaller cards.
Its made to smoke anything out there one on one.
Because thats what many PC enthusiasts want, it sells, and it sells well.

It depends on how you look at price/performance.

You can play any game basically maxed locked at 60FPS with a GTX 580 or an overclocked 570, with onboard PhysX/Cuda/tessellation on, less to no driver issues @ 1080P/1200P/1600P. We don't need another GPU.

It won't be anytime soon for me, I'll be gaming at 1600P soon and for awhile and my 570 rolls/matches 6970's at this resolution.

true, my bro is haD big driver issues with his Asus EAH Radeon HD4350,but still:..

HE IS RUNNING Transformers war for cybertron with everything maxed out;

pentium dual-core at 2.2GHz-cpu

320 gb 7200rpm-hdd.

2 GB DDR3 1333MHz (2x1GB)-RAM

AND THE 4350
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Atom N455 1.66GHz Pineview 45nm Samsung. Intel GMA 3150 256 MB DDR3 Driver Accelerated Corsair 2GB PC3-8500 800MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveOS
Seagate 250GB 7200RPM HDD Windows 7 Home Premium 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Atom N455 1.66GHz Pineview 45nm Samsung. Intel GMA 3150 256 MB DDR3 Driver Accelerated Corsair 2GB PC3-8500 800MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveOS
Seagate 250GB 7200RPM HDD Windows 7 Home Premium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #47 of 54
In terms of price/performance, 6950 CF is great because if they unlock you get near 580 SLI performance. However if you're on a single monitor that wouldn't be the wisest thing to do, although most people don't care.

If the price difference between 2 470s or 2 6870s and the 6950 is huge, then get a pair of the other 2, however if it's like $30 or so, then get the 6950s because they are better anyway. Drivers are fine and performance will be improving with future drivers (shown in 11.4 for example). There some issues here and there but generally the drivers are fine and most issues can be fixed however some people are impatient at times and like to cry before anything else. Support for games is also pretty good with regular updates to CAP and whatnot.

I would recommend the 6950s because I think there isn't a green equivalent that offers such performance for the price (the 560 is a bit far in performance and the price is too close, and the 570 is slightly faster but more expensive and that's without taking unlocking into account).

Either way if you've got the cash for 2 6950s and you are more than willing to do so, then grab a pair and don't bother listening to others say "oh 1 screen will bottleneck blah blah".. However I would say you should grab a 2500K + P67 board and a single card and then get a second later. That 3.3Ghz C2Q will be a bottleneck and the SB chips can easily do 4.4+ which is great but if you can get that CPU to 4Ghz then you don't have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfrt12569 View Post
1. Only reference cards with the bios switch unlock.

2. You would lose physx and cuda, but you can use your 250 with a driver hack

3. yes your cpu is fine as well as you mobo
Actually, you're wrong. Reference or not, most of them unlock, 1GB or 2GB also doesn't matter. The shader unlock works better than flashing it with a 6970 bios. PhysX isn't so popular even now, and how many average users/gamers use CUDA anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amstech View Post
It makes a difference, it can look quite good and its being used more and more. It's a slender mention though agreed. But it is worth mentioning now.

Yes the Radeons scale well.
So does Fermi, its nothing noticeable in games they both perform so well. This is where I choose the better driver suite, superior tessellation and PhysX.
Easy choice for me, Not hating, just my opinion.


I'll take the superior driver set everytime, and stock GTX 580 performance for $350 anyday.
The Radeons scale well but unfortunalty I have all the performance I need, now stability and quality is the concern, 2 things I didn't get from my Radeons and 11 months of using AMD drivers.
PhysX is still not popular enough to justify paying more for a GeForce card when you'll rarely see the extra effects (most of the time it's just a few particles at most) or having less performance, etc.

For tessellation, Heaven is not a game and no game will utilize tessellation to that amount,
and games that use tessellation now (Metro 2033 for example) run very well on the Radeon cards, 5k or 6k. The fact is that Heaven is just a benchmark, and games will never be as extensive as benchmarks are. Most games are console ports now anyway. If we do see true PC games and there are games which use tessellation and other effects extensively, these cards probably won't be enough and there will be newer hardware out so what's the point?..

I should also mention there is no need to repeat "I had driver issues so-and-so" because that's all in the past now - Last year and a previous series of cards. 6000 cards and the drivers are much better and there is nothing wrong with having much more performance over a 580 for just a bit more. Most games support Crossfire and not many users are reporting serious issues. In the end it's the OPs choice what he wants.
Edited by Razi3l - 4/10/11 at 2:49pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4300Mhz Biostar TP67XE Waiting to buy a new one 8GB 1600Mhz 7-8-7-21 1T 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 SSD [250GB] Antec H20 620 Windows 7 x64 Acer S242HL 
PowerCase
Thermaltake 775W NZXT Phantom [White] 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4300Mhz Biostar TP67XE Waiting to buy a new one 8GB 1600Mhz 7-8-7-21 1T 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 SSD [250GB] Antec H20 620 Windows 7 x64 Acer S242HL 
PowerCase
Thermaltake 775W NZXT Phantom [White] 
  hide details  
Reply
post #48 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by amstech View Post
It makes a difference, it can look quite good and its being used more and more. It's a slender mention though agreed. But it is worth mentioning now.

Yes the Radeons scale well.
So does Fermi, its nothing noticeable in games they both perform so well. This is where I choose the better driver suite, superior tessellation and PhysX.
Easy choice for me, Not hating, just my opinion.


I'll take the superior driver set everytime, and stock GTX 580 performance for $350 anyday.
The Radeons scale well but unfortunalty I have all the performance I need, now stability and quality is the concern, 2 things I didn't get from my Radeons and 11 months of using AMD drivers.
Hmm... I didn't know the GTX 570 had stock GTX 580 performance. Oh, wait. It doesn't. If you over-clock, though, it can (unless the VRMs decide to blow up when pushing more voltage). You can solve this by getting a card with a 3rd party PCB, but those cost more (not $350 anymore). I'd much rather get a more reliable card.. And since driver issues for AMD GPUs are now pretty much a fallacy, there's not much argument there. Again, this isn't 2007.

EDIT: also, I love how you ignore any problems with the GTX 570 and choose to mention "problems" with the 6970. Driver issues will depend on the person for both manufacturers. It's a well-known fact, though, that reference GTX 570s use cheap VRMs. If I had to pick, I'd get a GTX 560 Ti and OC it to GTX 570 performance. Much better bang-for-buck there. The GTX 560 Ti may be even better value than the 6950 if you fold.

If I were gaming alone, I'd choose the 6950. If I were gaming+folding, I'd get the GTX 560 Ti.
Edited by LOL_Wut_Axel - 4/10/11 at 3:00pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo P7450 @2.7GHz Pegatron G60VX (A12) GeForce GTX 260M 1GB @610/1500/2000 Hynix 4GB DDR2 @1000MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Momentus 7200.4 320GB LG GSA-T50N, HP dvd1170r Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit HP W2207 22" (1680x1050) 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Microsoft Digital media Keyboard 3000 Delta Electronics ADP-120ZB BB 120W Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo P7450 @2.7GHz Pegatron G60VX (A12) GeForce GTX 260M 1GB @610/1500/2000 Hynix 4GB DDR2 @1000MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Momentus 7200.4 320GB LG GSA-T50N, HP dvd1170r Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit HP W2207 22" (1680x1050) 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Microsoft Digital media Keyboard 3000 Delta Electronics ADP-120ZB BB 120W Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #49 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razi3l View Post
I would recommend the 6950s because I think there isn't a green equivalent that offers such performance for the price (the 560 is a bit far in performance and the price is too close, and the 570 is slightly faster but more expensive and that's without taking unlocking into account).
GTX 560 is a great choice and it's equal to a HD6950:

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/review...s-warhead.html

Best bang for buck right now for Nvidia would be the GTX 560 simply because it OCes like a beast and it sits confortably at a cheap $250.
post #50 of 54
6950s are similarly priced, overclock about the same and they also unlock. Since 2 also scale better they would be faster. The 560 is priced very poorly in the UK. In the US it may be $10 cheaper or whatnot (not a huge difference if you ask me, I'd pay for the card with more vram) but here the 6950s are dropping in price where the 560s aren't really all too much.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4300Mhz Biostar TP67XE Waiting to buy a new one 8GB 1600Mhz 7-8-7-21 1T 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 SSD [250GB] Antec H20 620 Windows 7 x64 Acer S242HL 
PowerCase
Thermaltake 775W NZXT Phantom [White] 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4300Mhz Biostar TP67XE Waiting to buy a new one 8GB 1600Mhz 7-8-7-21 1T 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 SSD [250GB] Antec H20 620 Windows 7 x64 Acer S242HL 
PowerCase
Thermaltake 775W NZXT Phantom [White] 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Time to leave nVidia?