Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Building new system, video card and other suggestions?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Building new system, video card and other suggestions? - Page 4

post #31 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet1225 View Post
Haha.. I can do that, I'll find something.. -- how's the airflow in the K63? That's one of the reasons I was picking the Antec, along with the look & other features of course..
The airflow in the K63 will be equivalent to the Antec, perhaps even better. It actually has better and slightly larger fans than the Antec, so it should move more air but quieter. Also LianLi mounts the fans with rubber-mounts that minimize vibration. By all accounts, the K63 should be cooler and quieter.
Edited by willibj - 4/10/11 at 9:38pm
MicroPuter
(24 items)
 
PortaPuter
(6 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3210m 2gb Radeon HD7670m DDR3 @ 780mhz/1095mhz 6gb DDR3 1600mhz 500gb HDD 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 64bit 14" Brightview LED (1366x768) 
  hide details  
Reply
MicroPuter
(24 items)
 
PortaPuter
(6 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3210m 2gb Radeon HD7670m DDR3 @ 780mhz/1095mhz 6gb DDR3 1600mhz 500gb HDD 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 64bit 14" Brightview LED (1366x768) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #32 of 57
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by willibj View Post
The airflow in the K63 will be equivalent to the Antec. It actually has better and slightly larger fans than the Antec, so it should move more air but quieter. Also LianLi mounts the fans with rubber-mounts that minimize vibration. By all accounts, the K63 should be cooler and quieter.
Great, I really like it so far, I'll be watching videos and reading up on all these new parts.. but this looks pretty good to me..

Just out of curiosity, what would you compare the 6950 (or 6970 if it's as easy to unlock as you make it sound) to for an NVIDIA card?

Another question.. what's the best way to apply thermal paste to the hyper 212 plus since it's not a flat surface, or does it come with any pre-applied?
Cataclysm
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4-B3 SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6950 2GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Spinpoint F3 1TB & Crucial C300 64GB SSD ASUS DVD/CD Burner Windows 7 - 64 Bit Gateway 22" 1680x1050 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Wave Antec New TP-750W Lian Li PC-K63 Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
XTRAC PADS Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
Reply
Cataclysm
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4-B3 SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6950 2GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Spinpoint F3 1TB & Crucial C300 64GB SSD ASUS DVD/CD Burner Windows 7 - 64 Bit Gateway 22" 1680x1050 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Wave Antec New TP-750W Lian Li PC-K63 Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
XTRAC PADS Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 57
Actually I'd recommend a different getting a different brand for that DVD drive. I have the exact same ASUS one, and it is extremely loud when it spins up or when reading from a disc.
Edited by Kirasa - 4/10/11 at 9:44pm
post #34 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet1225 View Post
Great, I really like it so far, I'll be watching videos and reading up on all these new parts.. but this looks pretty good to me..

Just out of curiosity, what would you compare the 6950 (or 6970 if it's as easy to unlock as you make it sound) to for an NVIDIA card?

Another question.. what's the best way to apply thermal paste to the hyper 212 plus since it's not a flat surface, or does it come with any pre-applied?
AMD and nVidia cards will perform differently in different games, but generally and not counting overclock performance:

GTX560 < HD6950 < GTX570 (or GTX480) < HD6970 < GTX580 < HD6990

The GTX 570 is not known to be a good overclocker, whereas the 6950 certainly is. In any case, the gap between a 6950 and the GTX 570 in performance is not worth the ~5-10% difference in performance (average). The difference between a GTX570 and a 6970 is also not very high.

The best bang for the buck is absolutely the 6950 when you consider that they often unlock to 6970, but even if not, they are able to overclock to levels that rival the 6970 at stock.

You should get a 6950, try and unlock it and plan on crossfiring them at some stage. If it unlocks successfully, you can crossfire it with a 6970 down the line too.

As far as thermal paste on the Hyper212+, best to google and youtube. There's a number of different methods. The golden rule is to have some, but as little as possible between the heatsink and the CPU. I usually spread mine out onto the CPU surface and then swivel the heatsink base into position with some slight pressure. You'll feel it "grab". If there are noticable gaps between the heatpipes on the base, some say it's wise to fill the gaps. Personally I've seen no difference either way, and logically its only the point of contact that is relevant to heat dissipation. It may come with some pre-installed. You should scrape this off, polish with Isopropyl Alcohol (highest percentage you can get, at least 90%) and reapply your own. The included stuff is usually crap.
MicroPuter
(24 items)
 
PortaPuter
(6 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3210m 2gb Radeon HD7670m DDR3 @ 780mhz/1095mhz 6gb DDR3 1600mhz 500gb HDD 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 64bit 14" Brightview LED (1366x768) 
  hide details  
Reply
MicroPuter
(24 items)
 
PortaPuter
(6 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3210m 2gb Radeon HD7670m DDR3 @ 780mhz/1095mhz 6gb DDR3 1600mhz 500gb HDD 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 64bit 14" Brightview LED (1366x768) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #35 of 57
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirasa View Post
Actually I'd recommend a different getting a different brand for that DVD drive. I have the exact same ASUS one, and it is extremely loud when it spins up or when reading from a disc.
Thanks for the tip, although I'm really not too worried about the noise, I won't be using it all the time or really all that often.. it's cheap, and I want something for those few times I do need to burn a disc.
Cataclysm
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4-B3 SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6950 2GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Spinpoint F3 1TB & Crucial C300 64GB SSD ASUS DVD/CD Burner Windows 7 - 64 Bit Gateway 22" 1680x1050 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Wave Antec New TP-750W Lian Li PC-K63 Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
XTRAC PADS Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
Reply
Cataclysm
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4-B3 SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6950 2GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Spinpoint F3 1TB & Crucial C300 64GB SSD ASUS DVD/CD Burner Windows 7 - 64 Bit Gateway 22" 1680x1050 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Wave Antec New TP-750W Lian Li PC-K63 Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
XTRAC PADS Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 57
I made this build is similar to the one you have in your cart but you get one of the best Full Towers on the market with superb airflow and supports XL-ATX and E-ATX if you ever want to upgrade years down the line.
You also get a better air cooler for more OC potential.

2500k+UD4
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.622005

1TB spinpoint + 750w
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.627767

HAF X + 8GB Corsair
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.632225

2GB 6950 Free shipping and Rebate available
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127555

64GB SSD C300
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148357

Xigmatek SD1283
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835233040

Subtotal:$1,293.91
Shipping:$12.98


Edited by PowerTrip - 4/10/11 at 9:58pm
PowerTrippin@home
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 E0 @ 4.2Ghz 495x8.5@1.39v Gigabyte EP45-UD3P F9 Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1GB BFG GTX 275 PhysX Corsair Dominators 2x2GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Kingston V Series SSD 64 GB Spinpoint F3 1TB Blu-Ray drive & CD/DVD burner Scythe Mugen II 120mm Ultra Kaze 64bit Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 23" LED 1920x1080 [SyncMaster BX2331] Dell SK-8110 Corsair TX-750 V2 HAF 922 [inside painted black] 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech Laser G500 Razer Vespula 
  hide details  
Reply
PowerTrippin@home
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 E0 @ 4.2Ghz 495x8.5@1.39v Gigabyte EP45-UD3P F9 Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1GB BFG GTX 275 PhysX Corsair Dominators 2x2GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Kingston V Series SSD 64 GB Spinpoint F3 1TB Blu-Ray drive & CD/DVD burner Scythe Mugen II 120mm Ultra Kaze 64bit Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 23" LED 1920x1080 [SyncMaster BX2331] Dell SK-8110 Corsair TX-750 V2 HAF 922 [inside painted black] 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech Laser G500 Razer Vespula 
  hide details  
Reply
post #37 of 57
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by willibj View Post
AMD and nVidia cards will perform differently in different games, but generally and not counting overclock performance:

GTX560 < HD6950 < GTX570 (or GTX480) < HD6970 < GTX580 < HD6990

The GTX 570 is not known to be a good overclocker, whereas the 6950 certainly is. In any case, the gap between a 6950 and the GTX 570 in performance is not worth the ~5-10% difference in performance (average). The difference between a GTX570 and a 6970 is also not very high.

The best bang for the buck is absolutely the 6950 when you consider that they often unlock to 6970, but even if not, they are able to overclock to levels that rival the 6970 at stock.

You should get a 6950, try and unlock it and plan on crossfiring them at some stage. If it unlocks successfully, you can crossfire it with a 6970 down the line too.

As far as thermal paste on the Hyper212+, best to google and youtube. There's a number of different methods. The golden rule is to have some, but as little as possible between the heatsink and the CPU. I usually spread mine out onto the CPU surface and then swivel the heatsink base into position with some slight pressure. You'll feel it "grab". If there are noticable gaps between the heatpipes on the base, some say it's wise to fill the gaps. Personally I've seen no difference either way, and logically its only the point of contact that is relevant to heat dissipation. It may come with some pre-installed. You should scrape this off, polish with Isopropyl Alcohol (highest percentage you can get, at least 90%) and reapply your own. The included stuff is usually crap.
Thanks.. I'll be getting the 6950, I'm pretty sure the reasons I had so many issues with this current card (link) are because of it being AGP, and them not having real drivers for it, and on top of that, I'm using Windows 7.. otherwise I'd just throw the ATI choice out of the window

I also really like the idea of being able to crossfire if I want to sometime in the future.. I don't really know how though.. do you just plug it into another PCIe 2 slot, and plug them together somehow?
Cataclysm
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4-B3 SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6950 2GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Spinpoint F3 1TB & Crucial C300 64GB SSD ASUS DVD/CD Burner Windows 7 - 64 Bit Gateway 22" 1680x1050 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Wave Antec New TP-750W Lian Li PC-K63 Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
XTRAC PADS Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
Reply
Cataclysm
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4-B3 SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6950 2GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Spinpoint F3 1TB & Crucial C300 64GB SSD ASUS DVD/CD Burner Windows 7 - 64 Bit Gateway 22" 1680x1050 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Wave Antec New TP-750W Lian Li PC-K63 Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
XTRAC PADS Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
Reply
post #38 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerTrip View Post
I made this build is similar to the one you have in your cart but you get one of the best Full Towers on the market with superb airflow and supports XL-ATX and E-ATX if you ever want to upgrade years down the line.
You also get a better air cooler for more OC potential.

2500k+UD4
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.622005

1TB spinpoint + 750w
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.627767

HAF X + 8GB Corsair
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.632225

2GB 6950 Free shipping and Rebate available
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127555

64GB SSD C300
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148357

Xigmatek SD1283
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835233040

Subtotal:$1,293.91
Shipping:$12.98


That's a fantastic build, and the trade off for slightly worse RAM to get a HAF-X/Balder is acceptable. The case is massive, and personally I prefer the K63 stylings, but the HAF-X has that awesome GPU mounting and cooling system. The CPU cooler is not really that different performance wise though I prefer the Xigmatek better honestly. The standout is the PSU and HDD combo, and though the Corsair PSU is perhaps slightly better than the Antec that's simply a no-brainer; they are equally good PSU's. Great find. Great work.

You need to get a DVD-RW drive in there though ...
MicroPuter
(24 items)
 
PortaPuter
(6 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3210m 2gb Radeon HD7670m DDR3 @ 780mhz/1095mhz 6gb DDR3 1600mhz 500gb HDD 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 64bit 14" Brightview LED (1366x768) 
  hide details  
Reply
MicroPuter
(24 items)
 
PortaPuter
(6 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3210m 2gb Radeon HD7670m DDR3 @ 780mhz/1095mhz 6gb DDR3 1600mhz 500gb HDD 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 64bit 14" Brightview LED (1366x768) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #39 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet1225 View Post
Thanks.. I'll be getting the 6950, I'm pretty sure the reasons I had so many issues with this current card (link) are because of it being AGP, and them not having real drivers for it, and on top of that, I'm using Windows 7.. otherwise I'd just throw the ATI choice out of the window

I also really like the idea of being able to crossfire if I want to sometime in the future.. I don't really know how though.. do you just plug it into another PCIe 2 slot, and plug them together somehow?
ATI is owned by AMD now, and the 6000 series cards have been wonderful. The latest drivers out (beta) are supposed to be amazing, but I've had a 2600XT, 3870, 4850, 5770 and a 6850 in recent times. A bit of a fanboy perhaps. nVidia are wonderful, don't get me wrong - I had a Geforce 4mx 440 back in the days, as well as a Riva TNT2 a LONG time ago.

Crossfire is as simple as plugging the 2nd card in and connecting the two plugs on the top of the card with a crossfire-cable which come included with the cards, along with plugging the PSU cable into the card. The drivers and everything are all the same, no changes necessary. Sometimes you will have to play around with the drivers, installing previous releases for different games in crossfire - these problems exist with nvidia's SLI and drivers too. But the performance is unmatched.

Another reason to go with the Intel 2500k is that their much higher speed and efficiency means that 2x 6950's in crossfire could REALLY stretch their legs.
MicroPuter
(24 items)
 
PortaPuter
(6 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3210m 2gb Radeon HD7670m DDR3 @ 780mhz/1095mhz 6gb DDR3 1600mhz 500gb HDD 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 64bit 14" Brightview LED (1366x768) 
  hide details  
Reply
MicroPuter
(24 items)
 
PortaPuter
(6 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3210m 2gb Radeon HD7670m DDR3 @ 780mhz/1095mhz 6gb DDR3 1600mhz 500gb HDD 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 64bit 14" Brightview LED (1366x768) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40 of 57
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by willibj View Post
That's a fantastic build, and the trade off for slightly worse RAM to get a HAF-X/Balder is acceptable. The case is massive, and personally I prefer the K63 stylings, but the HAF-X has that awesome GPU mounting and cooling system. The CPU cooler is not really that different performance wise though I prefer the Xigmatek better honestly. The standout is the PSU and HDD combo, and though the Corsair PSU is perhaps slightly better than the Antec that's simply a no-brainer; they are equally good PSU's. Great find. Great work.

You need to get a DVD-RW drive in there though ...

I do like the K63 style better to be honest, but I'm not against the HAF-X..
At the very least I'll be switching to the PSU/HDD combo.
What makes the Xigmatek better than the 212+ ?
Cataclysm
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4-B3 SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6950 2GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Spinpoint F3 1TB & Crucial C300 64GB SSD ASUS DVD/CD Burner Windows 7 - 64 Bit Gateway 22" 1680x1050 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Wave Antec New TP-750W Lian Li PC-K63 Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
XTRAC PADS Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
Reply
Cataclysm
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4-B3 SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6950 2GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Spinpoint F3 1TB & Crucial C300 64GB SSD ASUS DVD/CD Burner Windows 7 - 64 Bit Gateway 22" 1680x1050 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Wave Antec New TP-750W Lian Li PC-K63 Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
XTRAC PADS Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Graphics Cards - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Building new system, video card and other suggestions?