Excellent advice all around. +REP to all so far.
To be really honest, I haven't exactly pushed this Q9550 very far. I just said "Okay, let's overclock this to an arbitrary clock speed where it's rock-solid stable at 1.2V and let it be." That's how I arrived at the 3.4GHz number. I have a E0 chip with a VID of 1.1625V so I'm pretty sure it has a ton of potential.
So the choices are the following:
1. Overclock moar while keeping everything intact. Obviously the cheapest option.
2. Overclock moar+ but get some better cooling.
3. Get an SSD now and either 1 or 2.
4. Jump on SB bandwagon and sell the current platform for about the same amount of price I originally paid for it.
5. Full package. Get on the SB platform, upgrade cooling, overclock like mad, buy an SSD.
I just looked at that. There aren't overclocked performance numbers though which is kinda tricky for data collection.