Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [TPU] A Detailed Look Into PSUs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[TPU] A Detailed Look Into PSUs - Page 3

post #21 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post
Yeah yeah, make fun of me for not posting this. Sorry, but I'm on a bit of a Stargate: SG-1 binge. Too busy watching Baal and Anubis get their butts kicked to follow the computer news.

This was done by crmarris, a Greek reviewer I know through JonnyGURU.com/forums. He does PSU reviews for a site called thelab.gr. He's at my level of knowledge or a bit above, with the added bonus of having a PSU testing setup.


This is a good read. Only complaint really is that he basically ripped the "PSU Topology" section straight from Wikipedia (prettied up a bit of course). There's some topologies on there that aren't seen in ATX PSUs, some overgeneralizations, the diagrams vary in quality, and I would not have organized it that way. Plus "LLC Resonant Converter" isn't a standalone topology used in ATX PSUs--LLC resonance is implemented within existing topologies, like half bridge and full bridge.

But the rest of the article is good stuff.
I agree it was a good read on ac/dc SMPS.
His english could have been better, but it was good read.

Anyways its about time people do this type of stuff. i do the same for DC/DC in my reviews. Wait for my next one, i am going to go very in depth about the VRC. My next review is going to be on the X58A-OC.
X99 Main Rig
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 5960X Extreme Edition @ 4.5GHz Always Changing VisonTek R9 290 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 @ 3200MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 128GB M.2 PCI-E 4x SSD Apotop 256GB SSD 1.82TB NAS Noctua NH-D15 with both fans 
OSPower
Win7 Pro Enermax 1000W 
  hide details  
Reply
X99 Main Rig
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 5960X Extreme Edition @ 4.5GHz Always Changing VisonTek R9 290 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 @ 3200MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 128GB M.2 PCI-E 4x SSD Apotop 256GB SSD 1.82TB NAS Noctua NH-D15 with both fans 
OSPower
Win7 Pro Enermax 1000W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridCore View Post
I don't see the power supply as the heart of the system. I see it as the mouth since it takes in electricity to distribute it to the other parts. I see the power cables as the digestive system. I see the processor as the brain, the motherboard as the body (connects everything together), the RAM as the forgetful part of the brain in memory, the hard drives as the less forgetful part of the brain in memory, the graphics cards as the eyes, and the audio as your larynx (voice box). On topic: Nice read.

Edit-to me, this isn't really news.
Personally I've always thought of the graphics card as the penis.
Skylake build
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700k @ 4.6ghz Asus Z170-A MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING 6G Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2666MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 950 Pro 256gb, Samsung 850 Pro 256gb, 2... Asus 24x DVD±R Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2412m, Dell 2007WFP (S-IPS) Deck Legend Ice (Tactile) Corsair RM750i Fractal Design Define R5 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Func F30.r Creative Sound Blaster Z JDS Labs ODAC+O2 (Preproduction TOSLINK version) 
AudioAudio
Sennheiser HD600 Klipsch Promedia 2.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Skylake build
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700k @ 4.6ghz Asus Z170-A MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING 6G Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2666MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 950 Pro 256gb, Samsung 850 Pro 256gb, 2... Asus 24x DVD±R Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2412m, Dell 2007WFP (S-IPS) Deck Legend Ice (Tactile) Corsair RM750i Fractal Design Define R5 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Func F30.r Creative Sound Blaster Z JDS Labs ODAC+O2 (Preproduction TOSLINK version) 
AudioAudio
Sennheiser HD600 Klipsch Promedia 2.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin0822 View Post
I agree it was a good read on ac/dc SMPS.
His english could have been better, but it was good read.

Anyways its about time people do this type of stuff. i do the same for DC/DC in my reviews. Wait for my next one, i am going to go very in depth about the VRC. My next review is going to be on the X58A-OC.
Capitalize English too.
 
ThinkPad W510
(12 items)
 
The Arkbird
(14 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 3840QM Quadro K2000M 4x8gb Intel 525 Series 240gb mSATA 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Tray-load DVD Factory Windows 7 Pro 1080P "Ultrasharp" panel 
KeyboardPowerCase
Integrated Big 'ol brick M4700 chassis 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 820QM 4318-CTO Quadro FX 880M 4x4gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
X-25M G2 DVD Stock Arch x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
1080P touch screen IPS Clicky Brick Adapter UltraNav 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4x Xeon E7440s HP DL580 G3 Motherboard Rev. 1.1 ATi Rage XL Samsung ECC DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
15K HP Ultra320 SCSI DVD Burner Bare Heatsinks + Chassis Airflow The Ever-Changing Distro... 
MonitorPowerCase
Only For Diagnostics.. 2x1300w (Redundant, Delta OEM) HP 4U Rackmount 
  hide details  
Reply
 
ThinkPad W510
(12 items)
 
The Arkbird
(14 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 3840QM Quadro K2000M 4x8gb Intel 525 Series 240gb mSATA 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Tray-load DVD Factory Windows 7 Pro 1080P "Ultrasharp" panel 
KeyboardPowerCase
Integrated Big 'ol brick M4700 chassis 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 820QM 4318-CTO Quadro FX 880M 4x4gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
X-25M G2 DVD Stock Arch x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
1080P touch screen IPS Clicky Brick Adapter UltraNav 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4x Xeon E7440s HP DL580 G3 Motherboard Rev. 1.1 ATi Rage XL Samsung ECC DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
15K HP Ultra320 SCSI DVD Burner Bare Heatsinks + Chassis Airflow The Ever-Changing Distro... 
MonitorPowerCase
Only For Diagnostics.. 2x1300w (Redundant, Delta OEM) HP 4U Rackmount 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 30
We need to get phaedrus a psu testing setup thing
AzuraChan
(13 items)
 
Haruna
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x6 1055T Asus M4A88TD-V Evo/Usb3 EVGA GTX460 1GB SC + 9800GT Phsyx 2x2GB Corsair 1333MHZ 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
6.8TB Total w7 + ubuntu 19" something Seasonic S12II 520W 
Case
modded antec 902 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
I7 3630QM GTX660M 2GB + HD4000 8GB 1600Mhz 1TB  
Optical DriveOSCase
Blu Ray thing Win8 64bit Lenovo Y580 
  hide details  
Reply
AzuraChan
(13 items)
 
Haruna
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x6 1055T Asus M4A88TD-V Evo/Usb3 EVGA GTX460 1GB SC + 9800GT Phsyx 2x2GB Corsair 1333MHZ 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
6.8TB Total w7 + ubuntu 19" something Seasonic S12II 520W 
Case
modded antec 902 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
I7 3630QM GTX660M 2GB + HD4000 8GB 1600Mhz 1TB  
Optical DriveOSCase
Blu Ray thing Win8 64bit Lenovo Y580 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by eshold View Post
Personally I've always thought of the graphics card as the penis.
Offtrack:

It can be kidney, liver, heart or other internal organs. Not external.
pron.
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Pentium 4 520. Asus P5QPL-AM. 1x2gB Corsair XMS2. 1xWD 320gB IDE. 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
HP 1270i. Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit. LG 710E 17'' CRT Monitor. IBM Kb-0225 Crap! 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Stock Thermalmaster 420w. Cooler Master Elite 334. Razer Abyssus Mirror Special Edition. 3M Precise Mousing Surface. 
  hide details  
Reply
pron.
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Pentium 4 520. Asus P5QPL-AM. 1x2gB Corsair XMS2. 1xWD 320gB IDE. 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
HP 1270i. Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit. LG 710E 17'' CRT Monitor. IBM Kb-0225 Crap! 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Stock Thermalmaster 420w. Cooler Master Elite 334. Razer Abyssus Mirror Special Edition. 3M Precise Mousing Surface. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukefission View Post
We need to get phaedrus a psu testing setup thing
I would honestly chip in for that, we should get a mod to start a thread taking PayPal donations for a test setup for him and take old PSU donations for him to test!
 
ThinkPad W510
(12 items)
 
The Arkbird
(14 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 3840QM Quadro K2000M 4x8gb Intel 525 Series 240gb mSATA 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Tray-load DVD Factory Windows 7 Pro 1080P "Ultrasharp" panel 
KeyboardPowerCase
Integrated Big 'ol brick M4700 chassis 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 820QM 4318-CTO Quadro FX 880M 4x4gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
X-25M G2 DVD Stock Arch x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
1080P touch screen IPS Clicky Brick Adapter UltraNav 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4x Xeon E7440s HP DL580 G3 Motherboard Rev. 1.1 ATi Rage XL Samsung ECC DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
15K HP Ultra320 SCSI DVD Burner Bare Heatsinks + Chassis Airflow The Ever-Changing Distro... 
MonitorPowerCase
Only For Diagnostics.. 2x1300w (Redundant, Delta OEM) HP 4U Rackmount 
  hide details  
Reply
 
ThinkPad W510
(12 items)
 
The Arkbird
(14 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 3840QM Quadro K2000M 4x8gb Intel 525 Series 240gb mSATA 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Tray-load DVD Factory Windows 7 Pro 1080P "Ultrasharp" panel 
KeyboardPowerCase
Integrated Big 'ol brick M4700 chassis 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 820QM 4318-CTO Quadro FX 880M 4x4gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
X-25M G2 DVD Stock Arch x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
1080P touch screen IPS Clicky Brick Adapter UltraNav 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4x Xeon E7440s HP DL580 G3 Motherboard Rev. 1.1 ATi Rage XL Samsung ECC DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
15K HP Ultra320 SCSI DVD Burner Bare Heatsinks + Chassis Airflow The Ever-Changing Distro... 
MonitorPowerCase
Only For Diagnostics.. 2x1300w (Redundant, Delta OEM) HP 4U Rackmount 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post

This is a good read. Only complaint really is that he basically ripped the "PSU Topology" section straight from Wikipedia (prettied up a bit of course). There's some topologies on there that aren't seen in ATX PSUs, some overgeneralizations, the diagrams vary in quality, and I would not have organized it that way. Plus "LLC Resonant Converter" isn't a standalone topology used in ATX PSUs--LLC resonance is implemented within existing topologies, like half bridge and full bridge.

But the rest of the article is good stuff.
Hello to all of you!

Dear Phaedrus2129, as I answered you at Jonny's place I didn't ripped of anything from Wikipedia as I didn't even read the relevant article. I used the table from Marty Brown: Power Supply Cookbook and I gave the proper reference to his work. Also in this table I added two entries for resonant converters (which I named topologies). If this is a rip off then all papers, surveys etc. are rip offs since most of the times other's work is used as reference.

I have read many stuff about LLC resonant converters but unfortunately I cannot explain all of it in a such a restricted article (and only a few would understand it). I think that it's safe to say that LLC resonant converters use a different topology since enough components are changed/added in the circuit, like L-C tank circuit, different controller, no toroidal chokes in secondary etc. After all with the word topology we describe (at least in my article I do so) also the whole circuit not only the mosfets, inductors etc. part. Else we would refer only to the three basic topologies. However I have to agree with you that most of the basic topologies that exist within the PWM family also exist in the (quasi) resonant family.

Finally I also agree with you that this section is not the best of the article. Unfortunately I didn't have the time to design all circuits and I couldn't dig further into this subject as the chief editor already complained that I go into much detail and very few will understand the article.

Thank you for your critics, unfortunately I don't have the time to be on this forum as well but we will meet at Guru's.
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post
Yeah yeah, make fun of me for not posting this. Sorry, but I'm on a bit of a Stargate: SG-1 binge. Too busy watching Baal and Anubis get their butts kicked to follow the computer news.

This was done by crmarris, a Greek reviewer I know through JonnyGURU.com/forums. He does PSU reviews for a site called thelab.gr. He's at my level of knowledge or a bit above, with the added bonus of having a PSU testing setup.


This is a good read. Only complaint really is that he basically ripped the "PSU Topology" section straight from Wikipedia (prettied up a bit of course). There's some topologies on there that aren't seen in ATX PSUs, some overgeneralizations, the diagrams vary in quality, and I would not have organized it that way. Plus "LLC Resonant Converter" isn't a standalone topology used in ATX PSUs--LLC resonance is implemented within existing topologies, like half bridge and full bridge.

But the rest of the article is good stuff.
Great series.
3930k
(20 items)
 
  
Reply
3930k
(20 items)
 
  
Reply
post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothiq View Post
Offtrack:

It can be kidney, liver, heart or other internal organs. Not external.
Vah-J-J?


Anyways, there was a similar news thread posted a couple weeks ago by VR-Zone as well:

http://vr-zone.com/articles/how-powe...k/11366-2.html
post #30 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmaris View Post
Hello to all of you!

Dear Phaedrus2129, as I answered you at Jonny's place I didn't ripped of anything from Wikipedia as I didn't even read the relevant article. I used the table from Marty Brown: Power Supply Cookbook and I gave the proper reference to his work. Also in this table I added two entries for resonant converters (which I named topologies). If this is a rip off then all papers, surveys etc. are rip offs since most of the times other's work is used as reference.

I have read many stuff about LLC resonant converters but unfortunately I cannot explain all of it in a such a restricted article (and only a few would understand it). I think that it's safe to say that LLC resonant converters use a different topology since enough components are changed/added in the circuit, like L-C tank circuit, different controller, no toroidal chokes in secondary etc. After all with the word topology we describe (at least in my article I do so) also the whole circuit not only the mosfets, inductors etc. part. Else we would refer only to the three basic topologies. However I have to agree with you that most of the basic topologies that exist within the PWM family also exist in the (quasi) resonant family.

Finally I also agree with you that this section is not the best of the article. Unfortunately I didn't have the time to design all circuits and I couldn't dig further into this subject as the chief editor already complained that I go into much detail and very few will understand the article.

Thank you for your critics, unfortunately I don't have the time to be on this forum as well but we will meet at Guru's.
Sorry, I forgot about this thread, should have posted what I found out on the JG forums. You and whoever wrote Wikipedia both drew from the same source when writing about topologies and making your charts, which is why I saw so much similarity.


Thanks for doing the work to put this article together. If you need any input on the topologies section, I can send your the TI whitepaper I usually use as my reference.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [TPU] A Detailed Look Into PSUs