Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › Building custom AMD rig - NO/little experience
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Building custom AMD rig - NO/little experience - Page 2

post #11 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravinR1 View Post
XP 32 bit is fine, but 64 bit was notorious for having lackluster driver support when XP was the flagship MS OS
The original Windows XP CD does not have SATA drivers so it can't detect your hard drive during the installation process
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
phenom ii x4 945 3.6ghz@1.375 ga-880gma-ud2h -sniff- integrated. 2x2 ripjaws cl6 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
phenom ii x4 945 3.6ghz@1.375 ga-880gma-ud2h -sniff- integrated. 2x2 ripjaws cl6 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravinR1 View Post
XP 32 bit is fine, but 64 bit was notorious for having lackluster driver support when XP was the flagship MS OS
yeah i'm running 32 right now, on my totally stock dell from 04 lol. i have experienced problem, like many others, with vista and personally i find 7 to be ugly and kind of annoying. i could always customize the look though with my tuneup utilities like i do now. i hadn't realized that about xp64 though,l i just know that a lot of people like xp becuase it's a bit more subtle and doesn't interfere with performance as much as the newer 7.

Quote:
Lots of people have it and it usually overclocks better and it holds most AMD overclocking records
You don't really need a 965 for gaming either.
Plus if you get a nice $40 cooler, you can get a "free" performance boost ~3.8Ghz
truthfully, despite the site i am on, i don't know how to overclock. i have never tried though, and i don't even really know how to lol. if it isn't really intensive i guess i would be able to do it. i like to think that i'm relatively quick to learn.

as for the 5770, the first three games i'm getting (should have stated this originally) are going to be bad company 2, portal 2, and dead space 2. i would like all of these to run at least 40fps on medium/high settings. will this stuff be enough for that?

EDIT: i've noticed people choose certain companies for their video cards and stuff for a reason. when i search 5770 in newegg like 10 different onces come up. is sapphire good? XFX? ASUS? gigabyte?


SIDENOTE - this is a little offtopic, but is it really bad that my 'RAID drive is degraded due to a failed harddrive'? lol. both partitions of my harddrive add up to less than 80. i can only install like 3 or 4 pre 2006 games before i have to start deleting. I don't really care about the health of this pile but i would like it not to completely die on me so i can use it to do **** while i'm gaming on my new rig.
Edited by yilgrim - 4/12/11 at 10:36am
First AMD Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 965 Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 HIS HD6870 2x4 Ripjaw DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Spinpoint 1t Win 7 Pro x64 ASUS VW224U 650TX 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec 300 Logitech G400 Desk :D 
  hide details  
Reply
First AMD Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 965 Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 HIS HD6870 2x4 Ripjaw DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Spinpoint 1t Win 7 Pro x64 ASUS VW224U 650TX 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec 300 Logitech G400 Desk :D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomiyamu! View Post
A GTX 460 1GB would do nicely...but once again what res to you play at?

PFFFTT a $100 HD 5770 would max out anything at that res!
And I'm very serious about that.
I have a monitor like that too (Don't mind either!) and my graphics card is a total overkill for this res.
No kidding. A 9800GTX would slaughter any game at that resolution. XD
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-6300HQ Dell Proprietary 4GB Nvidia GTX 960M Samsung 12GB (1x8GB 1x4GB) DDR3L 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
256GB SanDisk M.2 SSD 1TB HGST 7.2k HDD Custom Cooling by Dell Solutions Windows 10 Home 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
15.6" 1920x1080 IPS Screen Dell 130w PSU Logitech G602 Wireless 
Mouse Pad
Xtrac 'Ripper' Mouse Pad 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2760QM Toshiba Qosmio X775 Nvidia 1.5GB GTX 560M 8GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
120GB Samsung 830 SSD + 1TB HGST 7200RPM HDD CD/DVD-RW Stock Windows 10 Home 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
17.3" - 1600x900 Standard backlit 180w Power Adapter Logitech G500s 
Audio
Harmon/Kardon Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-6300HQ Dell Proprietary 4GB Nvidia GTX 960M Samsung 12GB (1x8GB 1x4GB) DDR3L 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
256GB SanDisk M.2 SSD 1TB HGST 7.2k HDD Custom Cooling by Dell Solutions Windows 10 Home 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
15.6" 1920x1080 IPS Screen Dell 130w PSU Logitech G602 Wireless 
Mouse Pad
Xtrac 'Ripper' Mouse Pad 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2760QM Toshiba Qosmio X775 Nvidia 1.5GB GTX 560M 8GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
120GB Samsung 830 SSD + 1TB HGST 7200RPM HDD CD/DVD-RW Stock Windows 10 Home 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
17.3" - 1600x900 Standard backlit 180w Power Adapter Logitech G500s 
Audio
Harmon/Kardon Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 50
Windows 7 is faster than XP

But there are a few things it won't run or you have to run in compatiblity mode/administrator priveliges

Overall windows 7 x64 is a great OS

I liked Vista Business also.

I also like XP but when I use it now it feels slower than windows 7
post #15 of 50
Thread Starter 
I have also seen this thing being thrown around a lot here - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Tpk=haf%20912

Seems like a good case?

Even though i said no specific budget amount, i'm still trying to keep it fairly cheap.
Edited by yilgrim - 4/12/11 at 2:19pm
First AMD Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 965 Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 HIS HD6870 2x4 Ripjaw DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Spinpoint 1t Win 7 Pro x64 ASUS VW224U 650TX 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec 300 Logitech G400 Desk :D 
  hide details  
Reply
First AMD Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 965 Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 HIS HD6870 2x4 Ripjaw DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Spinpoint 1t Win 7 Pro x64 ASUS VW224U 650TX 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec 300 Logitech G400 Desk :D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 50
I'm not impressed with the case features for the price
I know cheaper cases with more fan slots, black interior, and better features as to what tools you use or they are tool-less.

The worse idea about your PC is running a 125W high TDP processor on low end MSI motherboard. These motherboards are known to catastrophically fail with high TDP processors. Swap that motherboard. There are better ones for the price anyway.

If you have an exact budget and can tell me what the PC is for I can configure one for you/help you configure one this afternoon
post #17 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
I'm not impressed with the case features for the price
I know cheaper cases with more fan slots, black interior, and better features as to what tools you use or they are tool-less.

The worse idea about your PC is running a 125W high TDP processor on low end MSI motherboard. These motherboards are known to catastrophically fail with high TDP processors. Swap that motherboard. There are better ones for the price anyway.

If you have an exact budget and can tell me what the PC is for I can configure one for you/help you configure one this afternoon
I have no idea what that means lol. But I mean my main uses are pretty casual. Right now my computer sucks but i guess my main activities are relatively casual gaming - cs 1.6, morrowind, condemned 1, half life 2 etc. so the only difference will be the fact that i can play newer games. i would like it to run games equivalent to bad company 2 at high without a noticeable framerate chug. other than that the only programs i ever really have running is chrome, a firewall, avast, and daemon tools. oh, and steam. other than that gaming i just listen to music and read forums and stuff.

i'm not going to replace my 17 inch flatron anytime soon, so 1280 by 1024

is my PSU overkill?
Edited by yilgrim - 4/12/11 at 2:51pm
First AMD Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 965 Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 HIS HD6870 2x4 Ripjaw DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Spinpoint 1t Win 7 Pro x64 ASUS VW224U 650TX 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec 300 Logitech G400 Desk :D 
  hide details  
Reply
First AMD Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 965 Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 HIS HD6870 2x4 Ripjaw DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Spinpoint 1t Win 7 Pro x64 ASUS VW224U 650TX 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec 300 Logitech G400 Desk :D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by yilgrim View Post
I have no idea what that means lol. But I mean my main uses are pretty casual. Right now my computer sucks but i guess my main activities are relatively casual gaming - cs 1.6, morrowind, condemned 1, half life 2 etc. so the only difference will be the fact that i can play newer games. i would like it to run games equivalent to bad company 2 at high without a noticeable framerate chug. other than that the only programs i ever really have running is chrome, a firewall, avast, and daemon tools. oh, and steam. other than that gaming i just listen to music and read forums and stuff.

i'm not going to replace my 17 inch flatron anytime soon, so 1280 by 1024

is my PSU overkill?
Pretty overkill if you're getting a 5770, which is great for your res.
It'll max out everything except maybe Crysis and Metro 2033
Even a 450w would do.
I'd say get a nice 650 Antec truepower, which is on sale.
Great Seasonic (best PSU manufacturer) rebrand.
It's also partially modular.

New case
I would totally get this one over the CM 690 II

The case you chose is a pretty good, eh, budget case.
Edited by Shomiyamu! - 4/12/11 at 3:00pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
phenom ii x4 945 3.6ghz@1.375 ga-880gma-ud2h -sniff- integrated. 2x2 ripjaws cl6 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
phenom ii x4 945 3.6ghz@1.375 ga-880gma-ud2h -sniff- integrated. 2x2 ripjaws cl6 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomiyamu! View Post
Pretty overkill if you're getting a 5770, which is great for your res.
It'll max out everything except maybe Crysis and Metro 2033
Even a 450w would do.
I'd say get a nice 650 Antec truepower, which is on sale.
Great Seasonic (best PSU manufacturer) rebrand.
It's also partially modular.

New case
I would totally get this one over the CM 690 II

The case you chose is a pretty good, eh, budget case.
Last night i had it set on the 5770, but I just found out that my dad agrees to buy me the graphics card for when i turn 20 in a month, which means i don't mind making him spend an extra 50-70 dollars because he usually gives me around that amount of money anyway. is there a card in the 150-200 range thats worth it? otherwise i could tell him to get me the 5770 and the hd or something.
First AMD Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 965 Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 HIS HD6870 2x4 Ripjaw DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Spinpoint 1t Win 7 Pro x64 ASUS VW224U 650TX 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec 300 Logitech G400 Desk :D 
  hide details  
Reply
First AMD Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 965 Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 HIS HD6870 2x4 Ripjaw DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Spinpoint 1t Win 7 Pro x64 ASUS VW224U 650TX 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec 300 Logitech G400 Desk :D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by yilgrim View Post
Last night i had it set on the 5770, but I just found out that my dad agrees to buy me the graphics card for when i turn 20 in a month, which means i don't mind making him spend an extra 50-70 dollars because he usually gives me around that amount of money anyway. is there a card in the 150-200 range thats worth it? otherwise i could tell him to get me the 5770 and the hd or something.
You can get two 5770s
A 6850 is good too.
GTX 460 if you like nVidia
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
phenom ii x4 945 3.6ghz@1.375 ga-880gma-ud2h -sniff- integrated. 2x2 ripjaws cl6 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
phenom ii x4 945 3.6ghz@1.375 ga-880gma-ud2h -sniff- integrated. 2x2 ripjaws cl6 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD - General
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › Building custom AMD rig - NO/little experience