Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Final card decision
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Final card decision

post #1 of 40
Thread Starter 
Alright,

In the next week, give or take a few days, I'll be able to get a new PSU and a 560 GTX Ti.

I've narrowed my decision down between these 2 cards and I'll explain why.

MSI 560 GTX Ti Twin Frozr II/OC

Lifespan/longevity, highly recommended, great performance > price ratio.
Excellent reviews, aside from the generic bad ones which happen with hardware. I need a card that will last me a long time and won't have heat issues even under full load. I might even OC it as it's apparently easy to do with it.

Downside to this would be if I don't OC it I'm probably wasting money and should get one that's already OC'd and has good temps.

Palit 560 GTX Ti 2GB

I do NOT have the option to SLI on this motherboard and this will be my last upgrade for quite some time. I want to be able to play Elder Scrolls Skyrim when it comes out and I expect that game at 1920x1080 with 2x AA/8x Anisotropic to need more than a 1GB framebuffer. I also like the full-size HDMI port.

This seems like a smarter choice when compared to a 1GB card that has slightly higher clock speeds as hitting a framebuffer limit will destroy performance significantly more than slightly lower clock speeds.

Downside to this Palit would be from what I read about the 460 SE palit's they tend to be iffy and even in the 560 designs they aren't using the smarter cooling solutions other brands are. but, there's only 1 review of this so I don't have much info to go on. It doesn't appear to be bad though.

Though if there is a sale or great deal on something else before I get one of these I might change my mind, it all depends.

Keep in mind I'm also open to recommendations.

My limit is $350, which includes a card and psu. It seemed like a smarter choice to spend $250 on the card and 100 on the PSU. But there's wiggle room on the PSU if say $10/20 would warrant something better in a card.
post #2 of 40
MSI.

Better card overall, I wouldn't trust Palit so much.
post #3 of 40
get Booty Warrior in here. He SLI's those Palit 560's and can give you personal Insight.

I owned a 560 TFII and it OC'd to 1000mhz for me and still stayed cool and decently quiet. But then again I upgraded to a 570 for the extra VRAM myself, because I want to mod the crap out of Skyrim when it drops in November, and the vram will help with that at 1080P! lol
Blood Dragon
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-4670K MSI Z87-G45 Gaming LGA 1150 MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G  G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 2133 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Hyper 212 EVO Win 7 64 QNIX 2710 Evolution II Logitech G110 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W Rosewill THOR V2 Gaming Logitech G502 Proteus Core Cyber Snipa TRACER 
Audio
Logitech G35 Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
Blood Dragon
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-4670K MSI Z87-G45 Gaming LGA 1150 MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G  G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 2133 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Hyper 212 EVO Win 7 64 QNIX 2710 Evolution II Logitech G110 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W Rosewill THOR V2 Gaming Logitech G502 Proteus Core Cyber Snipa TRACER 
Audio
Logitech G35 Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 40
Thread Starter 
Any other recommendations or is the MSI one really the best deal out there ?
post #5 of 40
MSI all day, I believe its really the best version out of all the variations, Twin Frozr II ftw but if they do come out w/ a Hawk edition by the time ur ready to buy then go for that instead.
KhAoS v1
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K @ 4.7ghz-1.392v ASUS P8P67 EVO MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr II G.Skill Ripjaws X 4gb 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1x WD 1tb, 1x OCZ Vertex 2 50gb HP 24x DVD/CD Burner Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 23" ASUS 1080p 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 850TX HAF 932 CM Storm Sentinel 
  hide details  
Reply
KhAoS v1
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K @ 4.7ghz-1.392v ASUS P8P67 EVO MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr II G.Skill Ripjaws X 4gb 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1x WD 1tb, 1x OCZ Vertex 2 50gb HP 24x DVD/CD Burner Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 23" ASUS 1080p 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 850TX HAF 932 CM Storm Sentinel 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeSC View Post
get Booty Warrior in here. He SLI's those Palit 560's and can give you personal Insight.
You rang?

I don't play Elder Scrolls so IDK what to expect as far as VRAM usage, though 1GB is usually enough for most games at 1080p. Having owned 4 different MSI cards before these Palits, I have to say they do have some fantastic aftermarket cooling. TF2 keeps cards very cool and quiet. The Palit cooler is easily 2x as loud when the fans are over 50% and they don't keep temps as low.

If you can wait a bit longer, the 560 Hawk is on the way with Twin Frozr 3, which is supposed to be cooler, quieter and comes higher clocked (950 core).

Of course, none of that will matter if you hit your frame buffer limit and your cards choke. If you're really concerned about the extra VRAM, the 2gb could be a good investment (or you could get a cheaper 470 and OC the hell out of it).

My Palits have been decent OCers. I got both to run ~925 core with no voltage tweaks, but my ambient temps are high atm and in order to keep temps down since I'm running SLI, I leave them at 900. With a single card though you should have plenty of OC headroom. My top card tops out in the upper 70s with the current clocks with the 2nd card hitting the upper 60s.

They're also tiny. These cards are less than 8 inches long, so they fit pretty much anywhere.
Edited by Booty Warrior - 4/12/11 at 2:44pm
post #7 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booty Warrior View Post
I don't play Elder Scrolls so IDK what to expect as far as VRAM usage, though 1GB is usually enough for most games at 1080p.
At 1080p, AA x2, 8x Anisotropic and max settings I think the gadget said I was using about 850MB of the Vram in Oblivion, So I fully expect Skyrim *the new one that comes out in November* to need more than a 1gb framebuffer. Although to compensate I could simply play at lower settings. I was hoping for max view distance in certain aspects ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booty Warrior View Post
TF2 keeps cards very cool and quiet.
The Palit cooler is easily 2x as loud when the fans are over 50% and they don't keep temps as low.
haha I read TF2 as Team Fortress 2. I was reading terrible newegg comments about the Palit 460/SE's but it seemed they redeemed themselves with the 560 series. Though it's apparently still using older designs or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booty Warrior View Post
If you can wait a bit longer, the 560 Hawk is on the way with Twin Frozr 3, which is supposed to be cooler, quieter and comes higher clocked (950 core).
That sounds amazing honestly, I saw someone on here yesterday had linked it on MSI's site, but the price and date of release is unknown, and my limit is $250, I can manage $270 for the 2GB Palit. And I need a card that won't burst into flames for Portal 2 in 7 days, my current 9600 GT has a malfunctioning fan. So It's safe to assume this card will possibly push $280+ ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booty Warrior View Post
Of course, none of that will matter if you hit your frame buffer limit and your cards choke. If you're really concerned about the extra VRAM, the 2gb could be a good investment (or you could get a cheaper 470 and OC the hell out of it).
I'm honestly contemplating it, I just hope Skyrim's requirements aren't so high the 2GB Vram would be nullified out by the clock speeds of every other aspect of the card.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Booty Warrior View Post
They're also tiny. These cards are less than 8 inches long, so they fit pretty much anywhere.
That's perfect information, as I measured and the longest a card can be in my case is 8.5 Inches if it has the power connectors on the back, It can be as long as 9.75-10 if it has the connectors on the side.

Edit - Booty Warrior, can you recommend a PSU for the MSI 560 TF2 please ? I have an AMD Socket 938 Mobo, so I need a 4pin connector for the processor itself, and a 24pin connector for the mobo. My limit is $100 for the PSU.
Edited by Ascii Aficionado - 4/12/11 at 3:51pm
post #8 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascii Aficionado View Post
That's perfect information, as I measured and the longest a card can be in my case is 8.5 Inches if it has the power connectors on the back, It can be as long as 9.75-10 if it has the connectors on the side.
Glad I could help!

Given those measurements, you'd have no problems with the Palit 560s. They're ~7.5 inches and have side mounted 6 pin power connectors. The TF2 cards are a lot longer w/back mounted connectors (though I don't have any TF2 cards anymore so I can't give an exact measurement).

Quote:
Edit - Booty Warrior, can you recommend a PSU for the MSI 560 TF2 please ? I have an AMD Socket 938 Mobo, so I need a 4pin connector for the processor itself, and a 24pin connector for the mobo. My limit is $100 for the PSU.
For a single card any high quality 500 watt should be sufficient. I'm partial to Corsair because of their fantastic customer service, but Seasonic/Antec/Silverstone all have great PSUs. If you're looking for a modular model in that price range the Silverstone Strider Plus is nice. I've used it in an HTPC build and it's really quiet.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817256065
post #9 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booty Warrior View Post
Glad I could help!
You certainly did, I already gave you rep for your first post, but, here, HAVE SOME MORE *explosion noises*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booty Warrior View Post
Given those measurements, you'd have no problems with the Palit 560s. They're ~7.5 inches and have side mounted 6 pin power connectors. The TF2 cards are a lot longer w/back mounted connectors (though I don't have any TF2 cards anymore so I can't give an exact measurement).
Unless there's some spectacular deal that appears in the next week I'm almost certain I'm getting the MSI 560 TF2.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Booty Warrior View Post
For a single card any high quality 500 watt should be sufficient. I'm partial to Corsair because of their fantastic customer service, but Seasonic/Antec/Silverstone all have great PSUs. If you're looking for a modular model in that price range the Silverstone Strider Plus is nice. I've used it in an HTPC build and it's really quiet.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817256065
During the A64 single core days I knew practically everything I needed to know to build any PC during that era, but now I don't as I disappeared from the PC scene for many years. Back then the 4pin connecter that the Processor needed was called the P4 cord, what's the official term now ? I don't see any 4pin connector on that PSU. I assume it does though since you linked it and I'm almost certain I'm going to get that specific PSU.
post #10 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascii Aficionado View Post
You certainly did, I already gave you rep for your first post, but, here, HAVE SOME MORE *explosion noises*
Hahaha, thanks.

Quote:
During the A64 single core days I knew practically everything I needed to know to build any PC during that era, but now I don't as I disappeared from the PC scene for many years. Back then the 4pin connecter that the Processor needed was called the P4 cord, what's the official term now ? I don't see any 4pin connector on that PSU. I assume it does though since you linked it and I'm almost certain I'm going to get that specific PSU.
It does. Under the Connectors section:

"1 x 4+4-Pin ATX/EPS 12V"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Final card decision