Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › Pro-est budget build ever?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pro-est budget build ever? - Page 4

post #31 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kill2Fill View Post
but that is only 3.1GHz and overclocked phenom will prolly get atleast 3.5
A Phenom II X4 at 4GHz will be slower than a Core i5 2400 at 3.1GHz. Sandy Bridge has around 30% higher Instructions Per Cycle (IPC) than Deneb.

Even a Core i3 2100 is faster in gaming than a Phenom II X4 at 4GHz. In all other applications, whether single or multi-threaded, the Core i5 2400 is still gonna be faster than an over-clocked Phenom II X4.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo P7450 @2.7GHz Pegatron G60VX (A12) GeForce GTX 260M 1GB @610/1500/2000 Hynix 4GB DDR2 @1000MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Momentus 7200.4 320GB LG GSA-T50N, HP dvd1170r Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit HP W2207 22" (1680x1050) 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Microsoft Digital media Keyboard 3000 Delta Electronics ADP-120ZB BB 120W Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo P7450 @2.7GHz Pegatron G60VX (A12) GeForce GTX 260M 1GB @610/1500/2000 Hynix 4GB DDR2 @1000MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Momentus 7200.4 320GB LG GSA-T50N, HP dvd1170r Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit HP W2207 22" (1680x1050) 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Microsoft Digital media Keyboard 3000 Delta Electronics ADP-120ZB BB 120W Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #32 of 75
I'm not a fan of processors that cannot overclock whatsoever, especially when there are LGA1155 processors for not any more cash at all that can OC, and they OC really well. The Core i3 2100 will also not win over a Phenom II x4 where games are properly coded to utilize 4 threads. The big difference comes in the GPU by the way, not CPU, for gaming. OP would have to sacrifice GPU power to go LGA1155 not just due to processor price but also motherboard price.

Anyways here's that build I promised you if you're willing to stay on the AMD side:

Hyper 212+ - $23.22 price match (PM)
Phenom II x6 1090T + M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 (AM3+ expandable/compatible mobo) - $330
OCZ Vertex 50GB - $95 (sale deal!)
Seagate 7200.12 1TB - $50 price match
G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 CL7-8-7 2x2GB RAM - $49.88 PM
Compucase Blitz - $40.49 PM
ASUS DRW DVD drive - $18.70 PM
Seasonic S12II 620 - $65 (sale deal!)
PNY GTX 560 Ti 822Mhz - $220, $200 AR (sale deal!)
ASUS 23" 1080p - $160, $140 AR (sale deal!)
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - $93.79 price match

Price match happens in the web shopping cart

The total cost is right on target:
$1146.08
(+ shipping/taxes)
$1106.08 after rebates

You're getting a better video card, a solid state drive, 6 cores and AM3+ expandability, and all for some $100 less after rebates. Win-win for you
Edited by xd_1771 - 4/12/11 at 5:03pm
post #33 of 75
Thread Starter 
TY SOOOO MUCH XD_1771 But what does it mean when you say price match?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
post #34 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Wut_Axel View Post
Even a Core i3 2100 is faster in gaming than a Phenom II X4 at 4GHz. In all other applications, whether single or multi-threaded, the Core i5 2400 is still gonna be faster than an over-clocked Phenom II X4.

Oh lol.

yep i3 dual core will spank the x4 @ 4ghz.
Wait what?

Fanboy much?
Slave
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus Maximus Gene V iGPU HD 4000 16GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistix 1600 Mhz 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
W7 x64 Dell U2412M Filco Majestouch 2 BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 750w 
Case
Open on the desk lol 
  hide details  
Reply
Slave
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus Maximus Gene V iGPU HD 4000 16GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistix 1600 Mhz 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
W7 x64 Dell U2412M Filco Majestouch 2 BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 750w 
Case
Open on the desk lol 
  hide details  
Reply
post #35 of 75
He's probably better off going with an AMD card so later on he doesn't have to rely on the sli hack. Of course that's if he wants more than 1 gpu down the road. Also depending on the game CPU matters, if the op plays starcraft that x4 is going to struggle.

And yes an i3 will beat an X4 at gaming performance.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
Edited by nagle3092 - 4/12/11 at 5:19pm
 
Media Server
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 4770K MSI Z97S Krait XFX RX 480 Black Edition XFX RX 480 Black Edition 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G.Skill Trident X 2666mhz Intel 530 Sandisk Extreme Pro LG WH14NS40 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG WH16NS40 Noctua NH-D14 Win 10 64-Bit BenQ XL2730Z 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G710+ Seasonic Platinum 1000w Fractal Design R5 Zowie FK1+ 
Mouse PadOtherOther
XTrac Ripper XXL  4 x Vardar F-4 120mm (2x NH-D14, 2x Bottom Intake) 3 x Vardar F-3 140mm Intake (two front, one side) 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Celeron J1800 QNAP Proprietary  Intel HD Graphics Crucial 8GB Kit 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4TB Western Digital Red Pro 4TB Western Digital Red Pro 4TB Western Digital Red Pro 4TB Western Digital Red Pro 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Stock Embedded Linux External, 96 W, 100-240 V TS-451 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Media Server
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 4770K MSI Z97S Krait XFX RX 480 Black Edition XFX RX 480 Black Edition 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G.Skill Trident X 2666mhz Intel 530 Sandisk Extreme Pro LG WH14NS40 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG WH16NS40 Noctua NH-D14 Win 10 64-Bit BenQ XL2730Z 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G710+ Seasonic Platinum 1000w Fractal Design R5 Zowie FK1+ 
Mouse PadOtherOther
XTrac Ripper XXL  4 x Vardar F-4 120mm (2x NH-D14, 2x Bottom Intake) 3 x Vardar F-3 140mm Intake (two front, one side) 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Celeron J1800 QNAP Proprietary  Intel HD Graphics Crucial 8GB Kit 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4TB Western Digital Red Pro 4TB Western Digital Red Pro 4TB Western Digital Red Pro 4TB Western Digital Red Pro 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Stock Embedded Linux External, 96 W, 100-240 V TS-451 
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 75
I cant see how $1000 + is a budget build.

When someone says budget build i think $500 or less

I built a pretty sick gaming rig for $250

MSI motherboard
AMD 555 unlocked to quad core and overclocked to 4ghz
Combo for $100
8800gt $25
corsair CX430 $14
4gb 1600 kingston ram $20
western digital 500gb harddrive for $20

fans + CPU cooler took up the rest of the money and I used an old case in my basement (abs canyon 595).
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution 2 x Asus GTX470 900/1800/1700 Corsair Vengence 8gb 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
120gb ssd, 4 x 1TB F3's Raid 0, 2TB F4 Backup Windows 7 Catleap 27 1440p Enermax Revolution 1050w 
Case
Case Labs M8 with pedestal  
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution 2 x Asus GTX470 900/1800/1700 Corsair Vengence 8gb 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
120gb ssd, 4 x 1TB F3's Raid 0, 2TB F4 Backup Windows 7 Catleap 27 1440p Enermax Revolution 1050w 
Case
Case Labs M8 with pedestal  
  hide details  
Reply
post #37 of 75
if you can find someone who has an edu address, i think you can get microsoft professional for 30 bucks
Current PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 @ ~3.6 EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 X58 3-Way SLI BFG GTX 285 OC Mushkin 6GB 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Intel 120GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1.5 Windows 7 Corsair 750 HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
Current PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 @ ~3.6 EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 X58 3-Way SLI BFG GTX 285 OC Mushkin 6GB 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Intel 120GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1.5 Windows 7 Corsair 750 HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
post #38 of 75
Once the parts are added to the NCIX shopping cart
You will see a "start price match" link at the bottom
Copy the links of the pages from competing stores with the lower price, paste, enter price
SAVE MONIES

Quote:
MSI motherboard
AMD 555 unlocked to quad core and overclocked to 4ghz
post #39 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagle3092 View Post
He's probably better off going with an AMD card so later on he doesn't have to rely on the sli hack. Of course that's if he wants more than 1 gpu down the road. Also depending on the game CPU matters, if the op plays starcraft that x4 is going to struggle.

And yes an i3 will beat an X4 at gaming performance.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
Are you saying Starcraft 2 won't run smooth on a x4?
Slave
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus Maximus Gene V iGPU HD 4000 16GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistix 1600 Mhz 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
W7 x64 Dell U2412M Filco Majestouch 2 BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 750w 
Case
Open on the desk lol 
  hide details  
Reply
Slave
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus Maximus Gene V iGPU HD 4000 16GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistix 1600 Mhz 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
W7 x64 Dell U2412M Filco Majestouch 2 BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 750w 
Case
Open on the desk lol 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
I'm not a fan of processors that cannot overclock whatsoever, especially when there are LGA1155 processors for not any more cash at all that can OC, and they OC really well. The Core i3 2100 will also not win over a Phenom II x4 where games are properly coded to utilize 4 threads. The big difference comes in the GPU by the way, not CPU, for gaming. OP would have to sacrifice GPU power to go LGA1155 not just due to processor price but also motherboard price.
The Core i3 2100 is faster in more than 90% of games in comparison to even a Phenom II X6 1090T or a 975. Check out Anandtech's Bench. The i5 2400 is faster in every game than the Phenom II, and at many times by a large margin. Motherboard price argument is unfounded since you fan find an LGA 1155/P67 motherboard with the same features as the one you posted for $140. I posted it in the build I configured earlier. I don't take into account combo deals since they expire in a short time typically. The HAF 912 is a much better case than the Blitz, but good job getting a GTX 560 Ti into the budget. The Phenom II X6 is a complete waste of money if you're not a video encoder or rendered. Even then, a Core i5 2500K is gonna be faster in those when both are OCed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
Anyways here's that build I promised you if you're willing to stay on the AMD side:

Hyper 212+ - $23.22 price match (PM)
Phenom II x6 1090T + M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 (AM3+ expandable/compatible mobo) - $330
OCZ Vertex 50GB - $95 (sale deal!)
Seagate 7200.12 1TB - $50 price match
G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 CL7-8-7 2x2GB RAM - $49.88 PM
Compucase Blitz - $40.49 PM
ASUS DRW DVD drive - $18.70 PM
Seasonic S12II 620 - $65 (sale deal!)
PNY GTX 560 Ti 822Mhz - $220, $200 AR (sale deal!)
ASUS 23" 1080p - $160, $140 AR (sale deal!)
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - $93.79 price match

Price match happens in the web shopping cart

The total cost is right on target:
$1146.08
(+ shipping/taxes)
$1106.08 after rebates

You're getting a better video card, a solid state drive, 6 cores and AM3+ expandability, and all for some $100 less after rebates. Win-win for you
If we're gonna take into account price matching and combo deals, then I suggest you change the Phenom II X6/Asus mobo combo deal for this Intel Core i5 2500K and MSI P67A-G43 Motheboard Combo. It's $30 more, but the CPU is MUCH faster than the Phenom II X6 stock and when both are over-clocked it simply doesn't stand a chance.

So, that would put you at $1176.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo P7450 @2.7GHz Pegatron G60VX (A12) GeForce GTX 260M 1GB @610/1500/2000 Hynix 4GB DDR2 @1000MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Momentus 7200.4 320GB LG GSA-T50N, HP dvd1170r Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit HP W2207 22" (1680x1050) 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Microsoft Digital media Keyboard 3000 Delta Electronics ADP-120ZB BB 120W Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo P7450 @2.7GHz Pegatron G60VX (A12) GeForce GTX 260M 1GB @610/1500/2000 Hynix 4GB DDR2 @1000MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Momentus 7200.4 320GB LG GSA-T50N, HP dvd1170r Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit HP W2207 22" (1680x1050) 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Microsoft Digital media Keyboard 3000 Delta Electronics ADP-120ZB BB 120W Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD - General
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › Pro-est budget build ever?