Hi all. My first post here though I do browse through the forum from time to time. You all seem like rather intelligent people and I have a bit of a situation, so I'd like to pick your brains to see what you all think.
I recently bought both a Corsair 550D (very nice case overall) and an H100. As per my typical luck I got one of those lovely units with a nicely grinding pump. The diode adapter that I made keeps it quiet 90% of the time, but the other 10% is far, far worse like the pump is just going to explode, until I literally smack my case to make it stop. No way I'm keeping this thing. So, here is my situation:
1) I can get it replaced through Corsair, who supposedly has (finally) fixed the issues. At this point though I'm not so sure that I trust them. Hence, this post.
2) I can get a refund and go back to air cooling. I really don't want to have a giant hunk of copper hanging from my motherboard though, and I also HATE installing massively over-sized air coolers, so I'd probably just get something like a Hyper 212 Evo and save some cash. I would probably have to forget about overclocking though, and also hope it doesn't run too warm whenever I get around to replacing my 965BE (which will be whenever AMD gets Vishera(?) out the door). One of the pitfalls of having a case built for silence I suppose, but that's why I wanted a liquid cooler along with the 550D - moderate overclocking with acceptable noise. On the plus side I could keep the top panel on my case so long as things AREN'T getting too hot (would apply to a 920 as exhaust also)., making my system even more quiet.
Right now I have to use my old 92mm Freezer 64. Worked plenty good enough in my old Antec 900 dust box so long as I cleaned it out every 2 weeks (I don't miss that one bit), but it's just barely cutting the mustard in my new case even at stock settings. This adds to my concerns about sticking with air cooling. I know a larger/newer cooler like the Evo will be a decent improvement, but it's a question of just how much.
3) I can get a refund and order up a Kuhler 920, about which I have some questions particularly where running one in my specific case (Corsair 550D) is concerned, and that is why I'm posting in this particular thread (hopefully I'm in the right place). So, on to the point. Sorry for being long winded.
If it is rear mounted as my only exhaust (keeping the top of my 550D closed up), will it still cool effectively? I'd prefer to keep the top of my case closed if I was going to switch to the 920. This would be another bonus over the H100. In all, basically I'd have the same concerns as giving up and using an air cooler regarding thermals, though I'm sure it would still be at least somewhat better where the CPU is concerned on top of the heat being dumped directly out of the case. I would of course still have the option of adding top intake fans to give the radiator exhaust more cool air if necessary but I'd have to probably spend another $30+ on fans for that. Pulling air in through the back of the case (radiator) and exhausting out of the top would either suck in dust or require me to also buy a magnetic filter so I'd rather avoid that.
It appears that my motherboards VRM heatsink (Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3) would actually be behind the radiator. Any potential problems with them overheating due to lack of air? Anything else I should be aware of with such a thick radiator and 2 fans mounted in the rear? Again, top intake could help here as one of the fans is directly above the heatsink, but would add more noise and cost.
I've seen quite a few posts here and elsewhere about the Kuhler units also having pump issues. What are my chances of getting another lemon?
I have a few days to make a decision before I will have to either RMA to Newegg for a refund (probably minus restock unfortunately), or stick with the H100 and try my luck with Corsair, so ultimately I guess either unit is going to cost me just as much. Your input is greatly appreciated!
Forgot to mention, I'll only be running a single Gigabyte HD7950 which is arriving within the next day or 2, to give you an idea of what will be heating up my case. This is also why I don't want to have to spend more money - I don't have any left for my upgrade budget!