Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › [Official] Antec Kühler H2O 620 & 920 Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] Antec Kühler H2O 620 & 920 Owners Club - Page 358

Poll Results: Which Antec cooler do you own?

 
  • 54% (152)
    Antec Kühler H2O 620
  • 45% (129)
    Antec Kühler H2O 920
281 Total Votes  
post #3571 of 6063
Thanks for the input. TIM application (amount) is one potential issues I was going to start ruling out over the next few days. I used a pea-sized amount, line method. Age of the MX5 (3 years) is another potential cause. And of course the afore mentioned possibility of the waterblock being seated improperly is another possible cause. After installing everything and hitting the power button, my rig wouldn't POST. It later turned out that my board would not accept the Kuhler being plugged into one of the 3 USB headers. The first thing I checked however was if I had damaged any CPU pins during installation, which means that I removed the waterblock. And it is possible that I may have mounted it slightly 'crooked' when tightening the screws back in.

Aside of user error, it just might be the unit itself. When unboxing the 920 I did find this scratch on the block. It doesn't look as bad in the picture as it does when looking at it directly.


Edited by 8bitG33k - 2/13/13 at 9:00am
post #3572 of 6063
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bitG33k View Post

Thanks for the input. TIM application (amount) is one potential issues I was going to start ruling out over the next few days. I used a pea-sized amount, line method. Age of the MX5 (3 years) is another potential cause. And of course the afore mentioned possibility of the waterblock being seated improperly is another possible cause. After installing everything and hitting the power button, my rig wouldn't POST. It later turned out that my board would not accept the Kuhler being plugged into one of the 3 USB headers. The first thing I checked however was if I had damaged any CPU pins during installation, which means that I removed the waterblock. And it is possible that I may have mounted it slightly 'crooked' when tightening the screws back in.

Aside of user error, it just might be the unit itself. When unboxing the 920 I did find this scratch on the block. It doesn't look as bad in the picture as it does when looking at it directly.


NO WAY!
http://www.overclock.net/t/1350571/antec-k-hler-h2o-920-stock-paste-removal-and-replacement-an-interesting-discovery

Check that thread I posted.
I have the EXACT same scratch - could you take a few more pics?

Seems like we are the only two to have noticed that scratch, and both of us aren't getting great temps.
Could this be the reason?

Can't wait to see if mine gets replaced or not - in order to fully understand if those temps are affected by that scratch.
PS. quite a few people told me it was due to my application on the CPU - but I would have known if I was damaging the antec
post #3573 of 6063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Dubbed View Post

NO WAY!
http://www.overclock.net/t/1350571/antec-k-hler-h2o-920-stock-paste-removal-and-replacement-an-interesting-discovery

Check that thread I posted.
I have the EXACT same scratch - could you take a few more pics?

Seems like we are the only two to have noticed that scratch, and both of us aren't getting great temps.
Could this be the reason?

thinking.gif
Quote:
Can't wait to see if mine gets replaced or not - in order to fully understand if those temps are affected by that scratch.
PS. quite a few people told me it was due to my application on the CPU - but I would have known if I was damaging the antec

The scratch was already there and the first thing I noticed when I unboxed it. I always visually inspect everything first.

I'll be taking more pics. But realistically I wont get around to taking it out until this weekend.

EDIT: And yeah, I used WAY less TIM than what's in the pics you have posted in that thread there (for whatever this info is worth, lol). As I understand it, you only use enough to compensate for the nooks and crannies on the lid and the bottom of the copper.
Edited by 8bitG33k - 2/13/13 at 10:52am
post #3574 of 6063
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bitG33k View Post

thinking.gif
The scratch was already there and the first thing I noticed when I unboxed it. I always visually inspect everything first.

I'll be taking more pics. But realistically I wont get around to taking it out until this weekend.

EDIT: And yeah, I used WAY less TIM than what's in the pics you have posted in that thread there (for whatever this info is worth, lol). As I understand it, you only use enough to compensate for the nooks and crannies on the lid and the bottom of the copper.

That's indeed right.
And interesting...!
post #3575 of 6063
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bitG33k View Post


EDIT: And yeah, I used WAY less TIM than what's in the pics you have posted in that thread there (for whatever this info is worth, lol). As I understand it, you only use enough to compensate for the nooks and crannies on the lid and the bottom of the copper.
Theoretically yes, but that would only apply if the cold plate of your cooler and your IHS are flat. Neither of them are, and no two are exactly the same. Spend a little time trying three levels, a very small amount, medium, and a little too much. See what your temps are. It doesn't take that much time. You can also try rotating your cooler 90 or even 180 degrees to see if that makes any difference. It made a 10c difference on mine.
Ivy 5.0
(14 items)
 
Ivy 4.8
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k 5.0 24/7 Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 690 G.Skill Trident X 2400 (2x8gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB Pioneer BD-RW Swiftech H220 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 x NEC 30" Logitech G15 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Switch 810 
MouseAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech G51 
  hide details  
Reply
Ivy 5.0
(14 items)
 
Ivy 4.8
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k 5.0 24/7 Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 690 G.Skill Trident X 2400 (2x8gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB Pioneer BD-RW Swiftech H220 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 x NEC 30" Logitech G15 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Switch 810 
MouseAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech G51 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3576 of 6063
Since it looks like we're on the topic of temps, I seem to be having a little issue. My core temps at idle, IMO, are fantastic. 18c-20c at idle, and when i use the computer for anything, even games, the core temp never goes over 34c. The computer is very stable, it's never crashed on me with the overclock settings I'm using.

The issue I'm having is that, when i stress test it with anything (I use IBT, P95, and the AMD overdrive test) I can never let the test run longer than probably 5 minutes. My core temp will get up to 61c (AMDs safe temp for my processor is 62c) and the socket temp get up to almost 80c. and at that point my CPU starts to throttle (not sure if the CPU is doing it or the MoBo) so i stop the testing, because i feel if it's throttling, then the test wouldn't be accurate anyway.

I've tried all sorts of things...I've re-seated the water block, multiple times, with different amounts of TIM each time. I added better fans the the radiator (Noctua's with 2.61 SP) But the one constant thing with the Kuhler is the placement. I have it installed in my 5.25'' bay area. I bought my case before i bought the Kuhler, and its the only place i could get it to fit. So until i get a new case, that's where it's staying. But i couldn't install the rad the way the directions recommend, where the tubes connect at the bottom. The tubes are on the side. If you don't understand what I mean i can take a picture later, I'm at work right now) So I'm wondering if I'm not getting the flow i should be getting because of placement. What do you guys think?

My system.
Chip - FX-8350 @ 4.6Ghz with all energy saving settings disabled...212mhz x 22
HT link - 2339mhz
Vcore - 1.392
Mobo - ASUS M5A99X EVO R2 - BIOS v.0601
Ram - Corsair Vengence 12800
Video - AMD Radeon HD6670
PSU - Corsair GS600
Cooling - Antec 920 Kuhler with Noctua NF-F12 fans to replace stock antec fans, also using Arctic Silver 5

Thanks in advance.
post #3577 of 6063
Quote:
Originally Posted by jperz09 View Post

Since it looks like we're on the topic of temps, I seem to be having a little issue. My core temps at idle, IMO, are fantastic. 18c-20c at idle, and when i use the computer for anything, even games, the core temp never goes over 34c. The computer is very stable, it's never crashed on me with the overclock settings I'm using.

The issue I'm having is that, when i stress test it with anything (I use IBT, P95, and the AMD overdrive test) I can never let the test run longer than probably 5 minutes. My core temp will get up to 61c (AMDs safe temp for my processor is 62c) and the socket temp get up to almost 80c. and at that point my CPU starts to throttle (not sure if the CPU is doing it or the MoBo) so i stop the testing, because i feel if it's throttling, then the test wouldn't be accurate anyway.

I've tried all sorts of things...I've re-seated the water block, multiple times, with different amounts of TIM each time. I added better fans the the radiator (Noctua's with 2.61 SP) But the one constant thing with the Kuhler is the placement. I have it installed in my 5.25'' bay area. I bought my case before i bought the Kuhler, and its the only place i could get it to fit. So until i get a new case, that's where it's staying. But i couldn't install the rad the way the directions recommend, where the tubes connect at the bottom. The tubes are on the side. If you don't understand what I mean i can take a picture later, I'm at work right now) So I'm wondering if I'm not getting the flow i should be getting because of placement. What do you guys think?

My system.
Chip - FX-8350 @ 4.6Ghz with all energy saving settings disabled...212mhz x 22
HT link - 2339mhz
Vcore - 1.392
Mobo - ASUS M5A99X EVO R2 - BIOS v.0601
Ram - Corsair Vengence 12800
Video - AMD Radeon HD6670
PSU - Corsair GS600
Cooling - Antec 920 Kuhler with Noctua NF-F12 fans to replace stock antec fans, also using Arctic Silver 5

Thanks in advance.
You will get better performance out of Coollabs Ultra than AS5 for your TIM. Many people get 5c or better just from that switch. As for the placement of the unit, are you saying the rad and fans are basically enclosed with in the case? If that is correct, then I would say that would cause some problems because that would definitely restrict airflow.
Ivy 5.0
(14 items)
 
Ivy 4.8
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k 5.0 24/7 Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 690 G.Skill Trident X 2400 (2x8gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB Pioneer BD-RW Swiftech H220 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 x NEC 30" Logitech G15 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Switch 810 
MouseAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech G51 
  hide details  
Reply
Ivy 5.0
(14 items)
 
Ivy 4.8
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k 5.0 24/7 Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 690 G.Skill Trident X 2400 (2x8gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB Pioneer BD-RW Swiftech H220 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 x NEC 30" Logitech G15 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Switch 810 
MouseAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech G51 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3578 of 6063
Thread Starter 
I've heard quite a lot of people saying AS5 is too old school to be a good TIM for nowadays PC's
I'm not sure if those claims are valid - but I would get something like the MX-4 for example or Noctua (CLU is nice too, but just to be on the safe side and not ruin your warranty, I wouldn't put any CLU/P on the IHS)
post #3579 of 6063
well there's airflow for sure. the front of the case is a mesh metal, so i have the fans set up as a push pull out through the front of the case instead of the rear of the case. Wish i had a picture to show ya.
post #3580 of 6063
on a side note. By removing and putting the cooler so much, It seems I've stripped out the holes of the back plate (where the locking nuts go) is there somewhere i can get a replacement back plate?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › [Official] Antec Kühler H2O 620 & 920 Owners Club