Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › First time watercooler on HAF 922 -- Need help
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First time watercooler on HAF 922 -- Need help

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Hey guys, I've been browsing different forums and looking at various images for a couple of hours. Now that I got a new GPU (6990) I'm looking to water cool my sig rig (GPU & CPU). I know the HAF 922 is limited as far as rad options go, at least with regards to mounting a 360 at the top without mods (I don't want to do any mods). I'm trying to piece this WC system altogether so I can pull the trigger all at once.

I've done a rather small amount of research into some of the parts and it's been suggested that I look at Swiftech for the pump (perhaps MP655 - though some say this one is only good for CPU only loops?), EK Supreme HF for the CPU, and the new EK or maybe Koolance 6990 block. Other than that, I don't really know about what parts to get. I considered getting an EK or Rasa all-in-one kit, but I hear that some of the individual components in either kit are weak so even as a first time WCer it would be better to piece this together individually so that I can get the best possible parts. You might notice that I keep bringing up the case (HAF 922), this is because I've barely seen examples of WC setups in this case. It's always the larger cases like the 932. Getting a larger case at the moment is not an option for me.

Sorry for rambling, but basically my questions are:

*** What would be the best WC components for an i7 930 at 4.2+ with a single 6990 which will also be oc'd, taking into consideration the limited WC ability of the HAF 922 due to its size? I hear that running i7+6990 on a single 360 rad (which I believe will have to be mounted at the back of the case anyway with the Koolance rad bracket or Radbox) will not be enough, so maybe some other combination of radiators would be better, but how will that configuration work, given the small size of my case?


*** Would a setup like similar to the one posted in this thread work in the HAF 922? The poster there has a different case


*** I see that a guy with a HAF 922 in this thread runs his setup like this --> fully assembled pic located here , but I don't think he mentions what WC components he uses (though they appear to be almost all Swiftech) and it appears that his GPU is far weaker than the 6990 so I don't know if a similar setup would be adequate for me.

I'd really appreciate help, especially from someone who has WC'd with the HAF 922 so I will know that the parts will fit this case for sure and will be adequate to cool my very hot & hungry GPU. Basically, I'm just really lost and would really appreciate someone providing me with a list of the best WC parts to get. eek.gif Thank you in advance to anyone who reads this long post and can provide me with help
post #2 of 10
One of my regrets is buying an Antec 902 instead of a 922...

Anyway, you might want to check out this post over at XS. Otherwise, the best option is mounting one radiator externally. I would probably buy two XSPC RS240s and mount one inside the case at the top and the other off the back.
post #3 of 10
If you get a thick rad like a feser or black ice gtx 360 with 1 or 2 single rads you should be fine. It wont look as clean with the extra tubing but you should be getting the extra cooling power you need
post #4 of 10
Keep in mind if you go with a GTX rad then you will need more powerful fans due to their high fin density. The XSPC raza kit is a great starter kit. I do not have one, but I do use 2 of the XSPC pump/res combos that come with that kit and they are fantastic for the price. They are compact and powerful, and look great as well!
Sweaty Box
(10 items)
 
Stacker T01 v5.0
(10 items)
 
Sturbin' Box
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5960X ASUS Rampage V Extreme 2x Nvidia 1080ti SLI 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR4 3400Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 pro NVMe M.2 Custom EK watercooled loop Windows 10 Pro Triple LG 4K 27" 
PowerCase
Cosair 1500Ti CaseLabs M10 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Delidded i7 3770K @ 5Ghz ASUS Maximus V Gene EVGA GTX 670 SLI - Heatkiller Blocks 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 EVO Custom Loop - EK Supreme HF Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Dell 30" + 2 x Dell 24" 
PowerCase
Sparkle Gold 1200W CM Stacker T01 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1055T @4.0GHz (308x13) / 3.08GHz NB ASUS Crosshair IV Formula w/EK full coverage block ATI 5870x2 Crossfired @ 950/1250 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 3 SSD Swifttech Apogee Drive Block/Pump Windows 7 64bit Pro ASUS 27" LCD 
PowerCase
Corsair Professional Series Gold 650W  Lian-Li PC-650A 
  hide details  
Reply
Sweaty Box
(10 items)
 
Stacker T01 v5.0
(10 items)
 
Sturbin' Box
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5960X ASUS Rampage V Extreme 2x Nvidia 1080ti SLI 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR4 3400Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 pro NVMe M.2 Custom EK watercooled loop Windows 10 Pro Triple LG 4K 27" 
PowerCase
Cosair 1500Ti CaseLabs M10 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Delidded i7 3770K @ 5Ghz ASUS Maximus V Gene EVGA GTX 670 SLI - Heatkiller Blocks 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 EVO Custom Loop - EK Supreme HF Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Dell 30" + 2 x Dell 24" 
PowerCase
Sparkle Gold 1200W CM Stacker T01 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1055T @4.0GHz (308x13) / 3.08GHz NB ASUS Crosshair IV Formula w/EK full coverage block ATI 5870x2 Crossfired @ 950/1250 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 3 SSD Swifttech Apogee Drive Block/Pump Windows 7 64bit Pro ASUS 27" LCD 
PowerCase
Corsair Professional Series Gold 650W  Lian-Li PC-650A 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobos223;13121823 
Keep in mind if you go with a GTX rad then you will need more powerful fans due to their high fin density. The XSPC raza kit is a great starter kit. I do not have one, but I do use 2 of the XSPC pump/res combos that come with that kit and they are fantastic for the price. They are compact and powerful, and look great as well!
The Rasa kits are nice, for sure, but the QC on the pumps doesn't seem to be great, and they aren't designed for dual-block, dual-radiator loops like the OP will likely have. However, the Rasa block itself and the varied included radiators are good choices for almost any loop.
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xartion;13120929 
Hey guys, I've been browsing different forums and looking at various images for a couple of hours. Now that I got a new GPU (6990) I'm looking to water cool my sig rig (GPU & CPU). I know the HAF 922 is limited as far as rad options go, at least with regards to mounting a 360 at the top without mods (I don't want to do any mods). I'm trying to piece this WC system altogether so I can pull the trigger all at once.

I've done a rather small amount of research into some of the parts and it's been suggested that I look at Swiftech for the pump (perhaps MP655 - though some say this one is only good for CPU only loops?), EK Supreme HF for the CPU, and the new EK or maybe Koolance 6990 block. Other than that, I don't really know about what parts to get. I considered getting an EK or Rasa all-in-one kit, but I hear that some of the individual components in either kit are weak so even as a first time WCer it would be better to piece this together individually so that I can get the best possible parts. You might notice that I keep bringing up the case (HAF 922), this is because I've barely seen examples of WC setups in this case. It's always the larger cases like the 932. Getting a larger case at the moment is not an option for me.

Sorry for rambling, but basically my questions are:

*** What would be the best WC components for an i7 930 at 4.2+ with a single 6990 which will also be oc'd, taking into consideration the limited WC ability of the HAF 922 due to its size? I hear that running i7+6990 on a single 360 rad (which I believe will have to be mounted at the back of the case anyway with the Koolance rad bracket or Radbox) will not be enough, so maybe some other combination of radiators would be better, but how will that configuration work, given the small size of my case?


*** Would a setup like similar to the one posted in this thread work in the HAF 922? The poster there has a different case


*** I see that a guy with a HAF 922 in this thread runs his setup like this --> fully assembled pic located here , but I don't think he mentions what WC components he uses (though they appear to be almost all Swiftech) and it appears that his GPU is far weaker than the 6990 so I don't know if a similar setup would be adequate for me.

I'd really appreciate help, especially from someone who has WC'd with the HAF 922 so I will know that the parts will fit this case for sure and will be adequate to cool my very hot & hungry GPU. Basically, I'm just really lost and would really appreciate someone providing me with a list of the best WC parts to get. eek.gif Thank you in advance to anyone who reads this long post and can provide me with help

DSC00019-3.jpg
DSC00021-1.jpg
DSC00022-1.jpg
i7 Extreme
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 W/HT On Asus Rampage II Gene GTX 275 Corsair Dominator GT 12Gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 2 SSD's Raid 0, WD 500GB Caviar Black Samsung Blu-ray Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 24" Samsung TOC 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Lycosa OCZ Fatal1ty 700W HAF 922 Logitech MX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
i7 Extreme
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 W/HT On Asus Rampage II Gene GTX 275 Corsair Dominator GT 12Gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 2 SSD's Raid 0, WD 500GB Caviar Black Samsung Blu-ray Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 24" Samsung TOC 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Lycosa OCZ Fatal1ty 700W HAF 922 Logitech MX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 10
Just as a comparison to your rad question.

I run my 930 @ 4.2 with my 5970 at 950/1200 1.2v and I spike at most low 70's with a rasa rx 360 rad with GT AP-15s and my room is about 23-24c.

Cant tell you much about configuring your 922 but i used a 932 for my build. But I am pretty sure you can fit a 240 and 2 120's inside the 922 with some ingenuity or there is always the external mounted rad.

Edit: Also look here (http://www.overclock.net/computer-cases/392179-official-cooler-master-haf-x-932-a-129.html) There are many HAF builds in there for some ideas.
Edited by Arksniper - 4/14/11 at 1:02pm
Gaming PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 4.2 GHz Asus Rampage III Extreme ATI Radeon HD 5970 6 GB Corsair Dominator Tri-Channel 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
32 GB OCZ SSD, 2x 150 GB WD Velociraptor 10000 rpm Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 2x Acer AL1622W Cyborg Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
850 W Corsair Modular Cool Master HAF 932 Logitec MX 518 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 4.2 GHz Asus Rampage III Extreme ATI Radeon HD 5970 6 GB Corsair Dominator Tri-Channel 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
32 GB OCZ SSD, 2x 150 GB WD Velociraptor 10000 rpm Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 2x Acer AL1622W Cyborg Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
850 W Corsair Modular Cool Master HAF 932 Logitec MX 518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 
Thanks for all the replies guys, it looks like I need to do more research
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksniper;13126183 
Just as a comparison to your rad question.

I run my 930 @ 4.2 with my 5970 at 950/1200 1.2v and I spike at most low 70's with a rasa rx 360 rad with GT AP-15s and my room is about 23-24c.

Cant tell you much about configuring your 922 but i used a 932 for my build. But I am pretty sure you can fit a 240 and 2 120's inside the 922 with some ingenuity or there is always the external mounted rad.

Edit: Also look here (http://www.overclock.net/computer-cases/392179-official-cooler-master-haf-x-932-a-129.html) There are many HAF builds in there for some ideas.

Really? That seems a little high to me, I have the same set up but at 4.4 and my spikes are 70ish. Same ambients. Push pull on the 360?
post #10 of 10
The computer in your post is my computer, the GPU (EVGA GTX275) is not water cooled.

Both rads are Swiftech and the pump is a MCP355 with an XSPC top.
The HAF922 will support several thin rads but you need to choose your mobo carefully (heat syncs etc).

I have actually water cooled 3 HAF922's with a bit of planning they work well.
Edited by hti.inc - 11/28/11 at 8:04am
i7 Extreme
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 W/HT On Asus Rampage II Gene GTX 275 Corsair Dominator GT 12Gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 2 SSD's Raid 0, WD 500GB Caviar Black Samsung Blu-ray Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 24" Samsung TOC 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Lycosa OCZ Fatal1ty 700W HAF 922 Logitech MX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
i7 Extreme
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 W/HT On Asus Rampage II Gene GTX 275 Corsair Dominator GT 12Gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 2 SSD's Raid 0, WD 500GB Caviar Black Samsung Blu-ray Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 24" Samsung TOC 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Lycosa OCZ Fatal1ty 700W HAF 922 Logitech MX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › First time watercooler on HAF 922 -- Need help