Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Anandtech] IMFT Announce First 20nm MLC NAND for SSDs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Anandtech] IMFT Announce First 20nm MLC NAND for SSDs - Page 2

post #11 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetos316 View Post
Does that exactly balance out the smaller number of channels that will be needed?
Not really....

...but then again, SSDs are pretty fast already. SSDs are reaching a point where users won't notice the difference between a Gen 3 vs Gen 4 model. What they and most people do notice is the price though.
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 25
How would one of those SSD's benefit me that re-writes about 150-200GB per month?
Today I deleted almost 400GB just because I needed some extra space and to delete things I no longer need.
Expect it to be filled before the end of next month.
And my OS drive is reading A LOT as well since I save stuff daily to the desktop\\New folder folders.
Uhh.. Thing
(19 items)
 
TERA
(22 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4690K Z97-PRO GAMER ASUS STRIX GTX1070 Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 830 Pro Samsung 850 EVO Samsung 830 Noctua D15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 x64 Enterprise ASUS VG248QE QPAD MK-50 EVGA 750W G2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Design R5 Logitech G502 Some Steelseries thing SupremeFX -> Pioneer VSX-D711-S 5.1 receiver 
AudioAudioOther
Dali Concept 2+SUB E-12F Focusrite Scarlett Solo Logitech G27 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 2700k @ 4.5GHz 1.425v with HT enabled ASUS P8Z77-V Gigabyte GTX670 OC Gigabyte GTX670 OC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Vengeanve LP White 16GB Corsair Force GT 120GB WD RED SOHO 3TB WD RED SOHO 3TB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
WD BLACK 4TB Seagate 5900 LP 2TB XSPC Raystorm D5 XSPC RX480 w/ GT AP-13 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
XSPC RX360 w/ GT AP-15 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 DELL U3011 Logitech K800 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX1000W Corsair 900D Logitech G500 SARGAS 460 
AudioAudio
Denon AVR-2313 Dali Zensor 7, 5, Vocal 
  hide details  
Reply
Uhh.. Thing
(19 items)
 
TERA
(22 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4690K Z97-PRO GAMER ASUS STRIX GTX1070 Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 830 Pro Samsung 850 EVO Samsung 830 Noctua D15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 x64 Enterprise ASUS VG248QE QPAD MK-50 EVGA 750W G2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Design R5 Logitech G502 Some Steelseries thing SupremeFX -> Pioneer VSX-D711-S 5.1 receiver 
AudioAudioOther
Dali Concept 2+SUB E-12F Focusrite Scarlett Solo Logitech G27 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 2700k @ 4.5GHz 1.425v with HT enabled ASUS P8Z77-V Gigabyte GTX670 OC Gigabyte GTX670 OC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Vengeanve LP White 16GB Corsair Force GT 120GB WD RED SOHO 3TB WD RED SOHO 3TB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
WD BLACK 4TB Seagate 5900 LP 2TB XSPC Raystorm D5 XSPC RX480 w/ GT AP-13 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
XSPC RX360 w/ GT AP-15 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 DELL U3011 Logitech K800 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX1000W Corsair 900D Logitech G500 SARGAS 460 
AudioAudio
Denon AVR-2313 Dali Zensor 7, 5, Vocal 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecchi-BANZAII!!! View Post
How would one of those SSD's benefit me that re-writes about 150-200GB per month?
Today I deleted almost 400GB just because I needed some extra space and to delete things I no longer need.
Expect it to be filled before the end of next month.
And my OS drive is reading A LOT as well since I save stuff daily to the desktop\\New folder folders.
Probably last you as long as you need it to.

If that was daily usage you might see a problem.

Also take into account that the controllers feature all sorts of life-expanding stuff like write amplification, wear leveling, etc...

What others have said is basically the truth. 34nm to 25nm DOES have less PE cycles. But unless you are running a database server, you won't notice (and if you are, you should be using SLC NAND). The average user will see the NAND in their drive stop holding a charge before they use up all the PE cycles on their drive.

Speaking personally, I think the big deal with OCZ was more that they didn't inform the consumers of the change to 25nm more than anything. Eventually, everyone is going to have to go to 25nm as 34nm is pretty much getting too expensive/impossible to get. It's more about how it's done. Informing the user of the correct capacity/performance is important.
Edited by MushkinNick - 4/14/11 at 3:24pm
Charity
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1090T Gigabyte GA880GMA-USB3 HD6870 1GB Changes, constantly. 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1x300GB WD Velociraptor, 1x 1TB WD Caviar Generic Win7 Asus 24inch Wide Screen 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Mushkin Volta 600W (MKNPS600-A) Lian-Li PC354B Logitech 
Mouse Pad
Seriously? 
  hide details  
Reply
Charity
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1090T Gigabyte GA880GMA-USB3 HD6870 1GB Changes, constantly. 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1x300GB WD Velociraptor, 1x 1TB WD Caviar Generic Win7 Asus 24inch Wide Screen 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Mushkin Volta 600W (MKNPS600-A) Lian-Li PC354B Logitech 
Mouse Pad
Seriously? 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
However, the number of PE cycles will not effect most users.

3000 vs 10,000 will not affect home usage.

Less life... that you would not make us of.

Slower speeds? NAND is getting faster. Current ONFI 2.2 specs for 200MT/s while ONFI 3.0 specs for 400MT/s per chip.

OCZ made the mistake of using 25nm NAND on the SandForce SF-1200/1500 controller without optimization.
What if those same optimizations that were made for the 25nm drives were made for the 34nm drives? Would the 34nm drive still outpace the 25nm drive?

If so, then we're still getting an inferior product moving from 34nm to 25nm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushkinNick View Post
Probably last you as long as you need it to.

If that was daily usage you might see a problem.

Also take into account that the controllers feature all sorts of life-expanding stuff like write amplification, wear leveling, etc...

What others have said is basically the truth. 34nm to 25nm DOES have less PE cycles. But unless you are running a database server, you won't notice (and if you are, you should be using SLC NAND). The average user will see the NAND in their drive stop holding a charge before they use up all the PE cycles on their drive.

Speaking personally, I think the big deal with OCZ was more that they didn't inform the consumers of the change to 25nm more than anything. Eventually, everyone is going to have to go to 25nm as 34nm is pretty much getting too expensive/impossible to get. It's more about how it's done. Informing the user of the correct capacity/performance is important.
What if you run a server, but cannot afford an SLC drive? Then 34nm NAND is awesome. And it's being taken away... Oh well, there's always the used drives market if I end up needing another one down the road.

BTW, what do you expect the actual price savings will be in going from 34nm to 25nm?

EDIT: Oh, and I'm loving my Callisto drives, they're working great for the server!
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSpike View Post
What if you run a server, but cannot afford an SLC drive? Then 34nm NAND is awesome. And it's being taken away... Oh well, there's always the used drives market if I end up needing another one down the road.

BTW, what do you expect the actual price savings will be in going from 34nm to 25nm?

EDIT: Oh, and I'm loving my Callisto drives, they're working great for the server!
Well, with all the provisioning and wear leveling, it may still work just fine for a Server. Just depends on whether that server is doing a ton of writing. Home server? MLC is probably fine.

Enterprise level Database server? Eh...

I wish we could stick to 34nm, but eventually it'll all be gone as everyone that build it moves to 25nm. We don't build the NAND, just the drive. That said, we'll use the best 25nm we can, and obviously make the consumer aware of any changes to density/performance/etc...

I can't speak for the price savings right now. I can't remember all the paperwork I signed when I started here, but I think some of it gives them the right to sell my organs if I release NDA info. Once they become available for sale, I'll let you know.

Glad you are enjoying the Callistos
Charity
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1090T Gigabyte GA880GMA-USB3 HD6870 1GB Changes, constantly. 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1x300GB WD Velociraptor, 1x 1TB WD Caviar Generic Win7 Asus 24inch Wide Screen 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Mushkin Volta 600W (MKNPS600-A) Lian-Li PC354B Logitech 
Mouse Pad
Seriously? 
  hide details  
Reply
Charity
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1090T Gigabyte GA880GMA-USB3 HD6870 1GB Changes, constantly. 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1x300GB WD Velociraptor, 1x 1TB WD Caviar Generic Win7 Asus 24inch Wide Screen 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Mushkin Volta 600W (MKNPS600-A) Lian-Li PC354B Logitech 
Mouse Pad
Seriously? 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MushkinNick View Post
Well, with all the provisioning and wear leveling, it may still work just fine for a Server. Just depends on whether that server is doing a ton of writing. Home server? MLC is probably fine.

Enterprise level Database server? Eh...

I wish we could stick to 34nm, but eventually it'll all be gone as everyone that build it moves to 25nm. We don't build the NAND, just the drive. That said, we'll use the best 25nm we can, and obviously make the consumer aware of any changes to density/performance/etc...

I can't speak for the price savings right now. I can't remember all the paperwork I signed when I started here, but I think some of it gives them the right to sell my organs if I release NDA info. Once they become available for sale, I'll let you know.

Glad you are enjoying the Callistos
Haha, hope they compensate you enough for risking your organs.
Great thread BTW, very interesting and informative read as I read in class.
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MushkinNick View Post
Well, with all the provisioning and wear leveling, it may still work just fine for a Server. Just depends on whether that server is doing a ton of writing. Home server? MLC is probably fine.

Enterprise level Database server? Eh...

I wish we could stick to 34nm, but eventually it'll all be gone as everyone that build it moves to 25nm. We don't build the NAND, just the drive. That said, we'll use the best 25nm we can, and obviously make the consumer aware of any changes to density/performance/etc...

I can't speak for the price savings right now. I can't remember all the paperwork I signed when I started here, but I think some of it gives them the right to sell my organs if I release NDA info. Once they become available for sale, I'll let you know.

Glad you are enjoying the Callistos
Yeah, hard saying. It says that my Vertex has gone through 8000 write/erase cycles, but then shows 100% SSD life left in the SMART data, so I'm not sure what to believe anymore. I guess I'll just use them 'til they die and do the analysis then.

Also, I'm glad you'll be letting me know when your organs are up for sale! I could really use another kidney...
post #18 of 25
Yay for technology!
My gaming desk
(14 items)
 
Miner
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Sapphire 290x Patriot Viper Extreme Division 4 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
OCZ Vertex 460 WD 1TB Blue Koolance 380A EK-FC R9-290X 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 64-bit Monoprice 27" IPS-Glass Pro Panel DUCKY! Antec HCP 850W 
CaseMouse
Hand built wooden desk Logitech G700S 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD A10 7850K ASUS A88X-Pro Sapphire 280x Sapphire 280x 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Patriot Viper Xtreme Div4 1866mhz 60GB Vertex2 WD Caviar 500AAKS XSPC Rasa 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 64 bit EVGA 1000W G2 Thermaltake Level 10 GTS 
  hide details  
Reply
My gaming desk
(14 items)
 
Miner
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Sapphire 290x Patriot Viper Extreme Division 4 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
OCZ Vertex 460 WD 1TB Blue Koolance 380A EK-FC R9-290X 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 64-bit Monoprice 27" IPS-Glass Pro Panel DUCKY! Antec HCP 850W 
CaseMouse
Hand built wooden desk Logitech G700S 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD A10 7850K ASUS A88X-Pro Sapphire 280x Sapphire 280x 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Patriot Viper Xtreme Div4 1866mhz 60GB Vertex2 WD Caviar 500AAKS XSPC Rasa 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 64 bit EVGA 1000W G2 Thermaltake Level 10 GTS 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 25
I still don't get the packaging. Why do they have to keep putting them in aluminum boxes and using weird interfaces.

http://www.fusionio.com/products/
Goofy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 4850e 2.4Ghz 22 watts 1.1v 1500HT 300FSB Gigabyte GA-M78SM-S2H What I'm Testing 2 2gb Geil PC6400 960MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi 160gb SATA-II Pioneer DVR 111D Redhat Core 12 x86_64, Windows XP HANNspree 20" 1600x900 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitec Premium Desktop Mini-Box M3-ATX 120 Watt DC-DC Spire Logitec 
Mouse Pad
Xtrac 
  hide details  
Reply
Goofy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 4850e 2.4Ghz 22 watts 1.1v 1500HT 300FSB Gigabyte GA-M78SM-S2H What I'm Testing 2 2gb Geil PC6400 960MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi 160gb SATA-II Pioneer DVR 111D Redhat Core 12 x86_64, Windows XP HANNspree 20" 1600x900 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitec Premium Desktop Mini-Box M3-ATX 120 Watt DC-DC Spire Logitec 
Mouse Pad
Xtrac 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSpike View Post
Yeah, hard saying. It says that my Vertex has gone through 8000 write/erase cycles, but then shows 100% SSD life left in the SMART data, so I'm not sure what to believe anymore. I guess I'll just use them 'til they die and do the analysis then.

Also, I'm glad you'll be letting me know when your organs are up for sale! I could really use another kidney...


The P/E rating is per-cell. So it may be that it's only gone through 8,000.

Hmmm, I could use some parts for my motorcycle.... and it's not like I don't already have two kidneys...
Charity
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1090T Gigabyte GA880GMA-USB3 HD6870 1GB Changes, constantly. 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1x300GB WD Velociraptor, 1x 1TB WD Caviar Generic Win7 Asus 24inch Wide Screen 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Mushkin Volta 600W (MKNPS600-A) Lian-Li PC354B Logitech 
Mouse Pad
Seriously? 
  hide details  
Reply
Charity
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1090T Gigabyte GA880GMA-USB3 HD6870 1GB Changes, constantly. 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1x300GB WD Velociraptor, 1x 1TB WD Caviar Generic Win7 Asus 24inch Wide Screen 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Mushkin Volta 600W (MKNPS600-A) Lian-Li PC354B Logitech 
Mouse Pad
Seriously? 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Anandtech] IMFT Announce First 20nm MLC NAND for SSDs