Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Mice › Need to change, I ask you !
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need to change, I ask you ! - Page 2

post #11 of 18
I'd say that you should wait for the Valor by PureTrak, or pre-order it now.

the Deathadder is also good alternative..but you need to modifide it - doubled the feets, tape trick fix, and if not get the black edition so you have to buy 'steelseries grip'.

Also I recommended you to wait for the Steelseries news of thier new mouse.
post #12 of 18
You can get replacement USB mouse cables on eBay, even braided ones, if you like. Just go to "Computers & Networking > Keyboards, Mice & Input > Mice", and search for "USB cable". You'll get several hits, just pick a seller with a good reputation. I've bought several this way, and repaired as many mice; the USB cable is the #1 most-common mouse failure. Might as well buy an extra or two while you're at it, saves on postage, and then you'll have spares.

The old-style MX518 has three Philips head screws on the bottom, hidden under the labels, two on either side of the cable entry towards the very front of the mouse, and one towards the back, near the halfway point between the rear feet. You don't even have to remove the feet to open up the old-style MX518, just poke little holes through the label when you hunt for the screw heads with the screwdriver. The USB cable PLUGS into the printed circuit board, so there's no soldering needed at all, it's very, very easy to replace!
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-3770K Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H Gigabyte 580GTX Asus 440GT for PhysX 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
16 GB G.Skill PC3-17000 2133MHz @1.65V Samsung Model 830 - 256GB SSD Samsung Model 470- 128GB SSD 2x Samsung 1 TB F3's in RAID 0 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG Bluray Combo Zalman Performa 10X Windows 7 64-bit Asus VG278HE 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
SS (Ideazon) Merc Stealth Corsair AX850 Corsair Carbide 500R CM Spawn 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Mionix Sargas 460 Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1250 TV Tuner Card 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-3770K Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H Gigabyte 580GTX Asus 440GT for PhysX 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
16 GB G.Skill PC3-17000 2133MHz @1.65V Samsung Model 830 - 256GB SSD Samsung Model 470- 128GB SSD 2x Samsung 1 TB F3's in RAID 0 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG Bluray Combo Zalman Performa 10X Windows 7 64-bit Asus VG278HE 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
SS (Ideazon) Merc Stealth Corsair AX850 Corsair Carbide 500R CM Spawn 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Mionix Sargas 460 Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1250 TV Tuner Card 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by avinin1 View Post
I'd say that you should wait for the Valor by PureTrak, or pre-order it now.

the Deathadder is also good alternative..but you need to modifide it - doubled the feets, tape trick fix, and if not get the black edition so you have to buy 'steelseries grip'.

Also I recommended you to wait for the Steelseries news of thier new mouse.
Wow, really too much things to do with the DA, so I won't go for it, but yeah, why not the new SS mice, I'll see

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricDelta View Post
You can get replacement USB mouse cables on eBay, even braided ones, if you like. Just go to "Computers & Networking > Keyboards, Mice & Input > Mice", and search for "USB cable". You'll get several hits, just pick a seller with a good reputation. I've bought several this way, and repaired as many mice; the USB cable is the #1 most-common mouse failure. Might as well buy an extra or two while you're at it, saves on postage, and then you'll have spares.

The old-style MX518 has three Philips head screws on the bottom, hidden under the labels, two on either side of the cable entry towards the very front of the mouse, and one towards the back, near the halfway point between the rear feet. You don't even have to remove the feet to open up the old-style MX518, just poke little holes through the label when you hunt for the screw heads with the screwdriver. The USB cable PLUGS into the printed circuit board, so there's no soldering needed at all, it's very, very easy to replace!
Hey, thanks a lot for this very complete answer. My first 518 broke too, same problem + others like left click issues. I tried to open it and fix it and I failed...but I kept it and I just saw what you're talking about. Indeed, the cable is just pluged, but it goes UNDER the circuit board, I can barely remove it so I think I won't be able to put the new one. Do you think that Logitech could do it for me ? Yeah, I'm such a noob.
Edited by thejoy - 4/14/11 at 6:19pm
My System
(13 items)
 
  
OSKeyboardMouseMouse Pad
Windows XP SteelSeries 6gv2 Zowie EC2 @500dpi Puretrak Talent 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
OSKeyboardMouseMouse Pad
Windows XP SteelSeries 6gv2 Zowie EC2 @500dpi Puretrak Talent 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 18
It's been a while since I last opened an old-style MX518, but the pc-board will be removable, either small screws or plastic tabs/clips that hold it in place; should actually not be too hard to figure out.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-3770K Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H Gigabyte 580GTX Asus 440GT for PhysX 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
16 GB G.Skill PC3-17000 2133MHz @1.65V Samsung Model 830 - 256GB SSD Samsung Model 470- 128GB SSD 2x Samsung 1 TB F3's in RAID 0 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG Bluray Combo Zalman Performa 10X Windows 7 64-bit Asus VG278HE 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
SS (Ideazon) Merc Stealth Corsair AX850 Corsair Carbide 500R CM Spawn 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Mionix Sargas 460 Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1250 TV Tuner Card 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-3770K Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H Gigabyte 580GTX Asus 440GT for PhysX 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
16 GB G.Skill PC3-17000 2133MHz @1.65V Samsung Model 830 - 256GB SSD Samsung Model 470- 128GB SSD 2x Samsung 1 TB F3's in RAID 0 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG Bluray Combo Zalman Performa 10X Windows 7 64-bit Asus VG278HE 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
SS (Ideazon) Merc Stealth Corsair AX850 Corsair Carbide 500R CM Spawn 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Mionix Sargas 460 Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1250 TV Tuner Card 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricDelta View Post
It's been a while since I last opened an old-style MX518, but the pc-board will be removable, either small screws or plastic tabs/clips that hold it in place; should actually not be too hard to figure out.
Ok, I will train on the old one

Thanks !

Other people ?

Tell me more about the EC1 or EC2 compared to 518 or 1.1 !
My System
(13 items)
 
  
OSKeyboardMouseMouse Pad
Windows XP SteelSeries 6gv2 Zowie EC2 @500dpi Puretrak Talent 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
OSKeyboardMouseMouse Pad
Windows XP SteelSeries 6gv2 Zowie EC2 @500dpi Puretrak Talent 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejoy View Post
Wow, really too much things to do with the DA, so I won't go for it, but yeah, why not the new SS mice, I'll see



Hey, thanks a lot for this very complete answer. My first 518 broke too, same problem + others like left click issues. I tried to open it and fix it and I failed...but I kept it and I just saw what you're talking about. Indeed, the cable is just pluged, but it goes UNDER the circuit board, I can barely remove it so I think I won't be able to put the new one. Do you think that Logitech could do it for me ? Yeah, I'm such a noob.
Sometimes Logitech will replace your broken mouse and not even have you send in the old one. Would be worth trying.

Oh and the Deathadder is a very low friction mouse as well.
post #17 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecca black View Post
Sometimes Logitech will replace your broken mouse and not even have you send in the old one. Would be worth trying.

Oh and the Deathadder is a very low friction mouse as well.
Ok thanks, I will try


EDIT: I just called Logitech, they want to send me a new one, they don't repare.
Edited by thejoy - 4/15/11 at 7:53am
My System
(13 items)
 
  
OSKeyboardMouseMouse Pad
Windows XP SteelSeries 6gv2 Zowie EC2 @500dpi Puretrak Talent 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
OSKeyboardMouseMouse Pad
Windows XP SteelSeries 6gv2 Zowie EC2 @500dpi Puretrak Talent 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejoy View Post
Ok thanks, I will try


EDIT: I just called Logitech, they want to send me a new one, they don't repare.
Logitech has too much money to repair your dirty items.
sinep
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 GA-X58A-UD3R MSI GTX 650Ti Corsair XMS3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Seagate 4TB + Crucial M4 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium Asus VG248QE </3 Sidewinder X4 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Wheel Mouse Optical Sideways Puretrak Talent Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 + Red Sony MDRZX300 
  hide details  
Reply
sinep
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 GA-X58A-UD3R MSI GTX 650Ti Corsair XMS3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Seagate 4TB + Crucial M4 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium Asus VG248QE </3 Sidewinder X4 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Wheel Mouse Optical Sideways Puretrak Talent Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 + Red Sony MDRZX300 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mice
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Mice › Need to change, I ask you !