Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › The [Official] Thermalright Silver Arrow / SB-E Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The [Official] Thermalright Silver Arrow / SB-E Club - Page 245

post #2441 of 3854
Greetings SA Club,

I just have a quick question regarding the SA and SA SB-E. From what I've read, the SB-E version performs it's best with lower speed fans, and the SA performs better with higher speed fans- but I haven't seen a direct comparison between the two that includes their stock fans.

How does the SA stack up against the SA SB-E assuming you don't change anything? What about adding AP-30's to it, which do you think would perform better? Scythe (Nidec) AP30 that is; high speed, high pressure fans.

Sort of torn between the SA and the SA SB-E... I did order an NH-D14 yesterday while Newegg had them on the Shellshocker sale, but subsequently halted the order because I've seen a little bad rap regarding the D14 recently, where they just underperform badly. Sale was awesome... but I still really am leaning twoard the SA/SA-SB-E.

Any input much appreciated,
Mezmenir

EDIT: Basically, which would you recommend for my build? Assuming I leave the stock fans on it. AP30's are infact hellishly loud, but they cool so good. tongue.gif
Edited by mezmenir - 9/5/12 at 1:19pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-4790K ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
32GB ADATA XPG DDR3-2400 1x 256GB Plextor M6e M.2-PCIe 2x 256GB Samsung SSD 830 2x 2TB Western Digital Black 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Microsoft Windows 6.4.9841 CTP Qnix QX2710LED Logitech G710 EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 
CaseMouseAudio
Corsair Carbide 500R Logitech G3 Creative Zx, Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-4790K ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
32GB ADATA XPG DDR3-2400 1x 256GB Plextor M6e M.2-PCIe 2x 256GB Samsung SSD 830 2x 2TB Western Digital Black 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Microsoft Windows 6.4.9841 CTP Qnix QX2710LED Logitech G710 EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 
CaseMouseAudio
Corsair Carbide 500R Logitech G3 Creative Zx, Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2442 of 3854
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezmenir View Post

Greetings SA Club,
I just have a quick question regarding the SA and SA SB-E. From what I've read, the SB-E version performs it's best with lower speed fans, and the SA performs better with higher speed fans- but I haven't seen a direct comparison between the two that includes their stock fans.
How does the SA stack up against the SA SB-E assuming you don't change anything? What about adding AP-30's to it, which do you think would perform better? Scythe (Nidec) AP30 that is; high speed, high pressure fans.
Sort of torn between the SA and the SA SB-E... I did order an NH-D14 yesterday while Newegg had them on the Shellshocker sale, but subsequently halted the order because I've seen a little bad rap regarding the D14 recently, where they just underperform badly. Sale was awesome... but I still really am leaning twoard the SA/SA-SB-E.
Any input much appreciated,
Mezmenir
EDIT: Basically, which would you recommend for my build? Assuming I leave the stock fans on it. AP30's are infact hellishly loud, but they cool so good. tongue.gif



Can help a little but may just confuse you (& me) more.

I'm pretty sure your on the money with SB-e being better with low speed fans, i recall reading something like that a few times too.

But the stock fans of the same size (140mm) on both coolers perform the same. Standard silver arrow comes with 2 (ty-140) fans and the sb-e comes with 1 ty-141 + 1 ty-150 larger fan. The only difference is the newer version (ty-141) has better bearings.

As for your system, I briefly ran mine on an AMD 1055t @ 1.375v, 3.8ghz and it drastically reduced my temps with just the 1 ty-150 fan compared to my old Thermalright hr-01+ with push pull noctua p-fans. (see pg 230 for a pic).

This cooler with nearly any fan setup is probably more than enough for all but the craziest AMD overclocks. Either cooler will suit you very well. Also, as you will find skimming the thread most are very happy with the thermalright fans including myself so maybe see how they go then decide on others. The ty-150 is great in most setups as it blows air over the bottom of the cooler onto ram, vrms etc.

Something else to consider may be future proofing.....
I was planning and have now done an I7 2011 upgrade which is a much hotter chip and only the sb-e comes with mounting for this socket.

Good luck!
:-D
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3820 asrock extreme3 x79 HD7950 G.skill 4 x 2gb  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 Series 128gb, Vertex II 60gb, Samsu... Silver Arrow SB-E Windows7 x64 Samsung S27A750D 27inch 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 Corsair HX620w Fractal Design R3 G5 
Audio
Rega DAC, Matrix M-stage, AKG K702, Swan T200b ... 
  hide details  
Reply
:-D
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3820 asrock extreme3 x79 HD7950 G.skill 4 x 2gb  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 Series 128gb, Vertex II 60gb, Samsu... Silver Arrow SB-E Windows7 x64 Samsung S27A750D 27inch 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 Corsair HX620w Fractal Design R3 G5 
Audio
Rega DAC, Matrix M-stage, AKG K702, Swan T200b ... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2443 of 3854
Quote:
Originally Posted by icekreme1002 View Post

Can help a little but may just confuse you (& me) more.
I'm pretty sure your on the money with SB-e being better with low speed fans, i recall reading something like that a few times too.
But the stock fans of the same size (140mm) on both coolers perform the same. Standard silver arrow comes with 2 (ty-140) fans and the sb-e comes with 1 ty-141 + 1 ty-150 larger fan. The only difference is the newer version (ty-141) has better bearings.
As for your system, I briefly ran mine on an AMD 1055t @ 1.375v, 3.8ghz and it drastically reduced my temps with just the 1 ty-150 fan compared to my old Thermalright hr-01+ with push pull noctua p-fans. (see pg 230 for a pic).
This cooler with nearly any fan setup is probably more than enough for all but the craziest AMD overclocks. Either cooler will suit you very well. Also, as you will find skimming the thread most are very happy with the thermalright fans including myself so maybe see how they go then decide on others. The ty-150 is great in most setups as it blows air over the bottom of the cooler onto ram, vrms etc.
Something else to consider may be future proofing.....
I was planning and have now done an I7 2011 upgrade which is a much hotter chip and only the sb-e comes with mounting for this socket.
Good luck!

Well I didn't want to have to reduce my clocks, as the H80 is actually not terrible with a pair of AP30 fans on it. Could have went with AP31's but in reality, the bottleneck is the pump with anything faster.

I typically run 4.2 @ 1.475 (now you see why I have a dead board, hah) and my temperatures have been decent, but I definitely want to go back to air. So I was most curious about which SA would be best suited to it. I probably won't be changing chips until Haswell / IB-E / Steamroller, so that's not too be a deal for me, I was more into the cooling performance smile.gif

If I do get an SA, I'm likely to leave the stock fans on it because of the weight. AP30 are a really heavy fan, and I don't want to destroy my board (ordering a Crosshair V Formula 2 on Friday). The added cooling to the VRM is also nice (TY-150 center), so that is definitely a plus.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-4790K ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
32GB ADATA XPG DDR3-2400 1x 256GB Plextor M6e M.2-PCIe 2x 256GB Samsung SSD 830 2x 2TB Western Digital Black 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Microsoft Windows 6.4.9841 CTP Qnix QX2710LED Logitech G710 EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 
CaseMouseAudio
Corsair Carbide 500R Logitech G3 Creative Zx, Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-4790K ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
32GB ADATA XPG DDR3-2400 1x 256GB Plextor M6e M.2-PCIe 2x 256GB Samsung SSD 830 2x 2TB Western Digital Black 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Microsoft Windows 6.4.9841 CTP Qnix QX2710LED Logitech G710 EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 
CaseMouseAudio
Corsair Carbide 500R Logitech G3 Creative Zx, Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2444 of 3854
Thread Starter 
From what I've seen using a TY-150 in the center of the SA in my current setup (TY-140/TY-150) it didn't drop the VRM temps that much. Maybe 1-2c so don't expect much from that with the SB-E. Also keep in mind others with Asus Intel boards similar to yours (Rampage models) have had clearance issues with the top PCI-e x16 slots. I'm very interested to see how it goes with the Crosshair. thumb.gif
Mugen (Retired)
(20 items)
 
Mugen 2
(20 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 BE GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H MSI R7870 Hawk CORSAIR XMS3 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 830 Series SSD Western Digital Caviar Black Western Digital Caviar Black DVD-RW HL-DT-ST GSA-H60L 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Thermalright Silve Arrow (TY-140/TY-150) Bitfenix Spectre Pro 200mm Phanteks 140mm Thermalright TY-150 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional BenQ GW2450 Microsoft Sidewinder x4 Corsair HX650 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 650D RAZER DeathAdder Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 M-Audio AV30 Studio Monitors (upgrading soon) 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD4H MSI R7870 Hawk CORSAIR XMS3 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Series SSD Samsung 830 Series SSD Western Digital Caviar Black Western Digital Caviar Black 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
DVD-RW HL-DT-ST GSA-H60L Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Bitfenix Spectre Pro 200mm Phanteks 140mm 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional BenQ GW2450 Microsoft Sidewinder x4 Corsair HX650 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 650D RAZER DeathAdder Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 M-Audio AV30 Studio Monitors (upgrading soon) 
  hide details  
Reply
Mugen (Retired)
(20 items)
 
Mugen 2
(20 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 BE GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H MSI R7870 Hawk CORSAIR XMS3 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 830 Series SSD Western Digital Caviar Black Western Digital Caviar Black DVD-RW HL-DT-ST GSA-H60L 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Thermalright Silve Arrow (TY-140/TY-150) Bitfenix Spectre Pro 200mm Phanteks 140mm Thermalright TY-150 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional BenQ GW2450 Microsoft Sidewinder x4 Corsair HX650 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 650D RAZER DeathAdder Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 M-Audio AV30 Studio Monitors (upgrading soon) 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD4H MSI R7870 Hawk CORSAIR XMS3 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Series SSD Samsung 830 Series SSD Western Digital Caviar Black Western Digital Caviar Black 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
DVD-RW HL-DT-ST GSA-H60L Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Bitfenix Spectre Pro 200mm Phanteks 140mm 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional BenQ GW2450 Microsoft Sidewinder x4 Corsair HX650 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 650D RAZER DeathAdder Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 M-Audio AV30 Studio Monitors (upgrading soon) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2445 of 3854
Quote:
Originally Posted by icekreme1002 View Post

Something else to consider may be future proofing.....
I was planning and have now done an I7 2011 upgrade which is a much hotter chip and only the sb-e comes with mounting for this socket.
Good luck!
Not even remotely true! rolleyes.gif

Phanteks has 2011 mounting,
Noctua gives you free upgrade if you have older cooler and of course the D14 SE2011 has 2011 mount.
Thermaltake Frio Extreme has all mounts
Assassin has all mounts.
post #2446 of 3854
Quote:
Originally Posted by solsamurai View Post

From what I've seen using a TY-150 in the center of the SA in my current setup (TY-140/TY-150) it didn't drop the VRM temps that much. Maybe 1-2c so don't expect much from that with the SB-E.

I suppose it depends a lot on setup. Thought it was worth mentioning though. On my amd system the VRMs were not something i worried about at all, but with the 2011, cpu throttling due to overheating vrms is a pretty common issue.

During prime If i stop my ty-150 the vrms become to hot to touch very quickly like burning fingers instant pull away scary hot. But with the ty-150 its touchable... well just, maybe we'll just say a little less burny. Def feels a little more than a 1-2c difference in my case, but now i'm curious and going to find my infrared thermometer.... hahaha

Results - not sure of accuracy cause its hard to get the thermometer in there but wiggling it in sideways i got it pretty close to where id want it. I set it to record max temp and did around 20 attempts at each measurement. These are the highest readings i got.
20mins of prime with ty-141 vrm heatsink @ 89c (CPU 4.6ghz @ 1.368v max 79c)
20mins of prime with ty-141 + ty-150 vrm heatsink @ 70c (CPU 4.6ghz @ 1.368v max 74c)

Even taking some error into account this is still a massive and worthwhile difference for me.

Out of curiosity I'm going to keep running the single ty-141 and prime for a while and see if it does eventually throttle the cpu. I think the single ty-141 may just be enough, but am honestly not sure of the VRM temp limit where throttling starts. I dare say on a hot day with no ty-150 i would be getting mighty close.....

Anyway, point of story - effects on vrms, ram etc will surely depend on setup. (Hopefully this helped another i7 2011 user choose the godly sb-e :-)
As solsamurai states, assumably about his amd setup and similar, it may make very little difference on VRM temps if any.....
Edited by icekreme1002 - 9/5/12 at 6:24pm
:-D
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3820 asrock extreme3 x79 HD7950 G.skill 4 x 2gb  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 Series 128gb, Vertex II 60gb, Samsu... Silver Arrow SB-E Windows7 x64 Samsung S27A750D 27inch 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 Corsair HX620w Fractal Design R3 G5 
Audio
Rega DAC, Matrix M-stage, AKG K702, Swan T200b ... 
  hide details  
Reply
:-D
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3820 asrock extreme3 x79 HD7950 G.skill 4 x 2gb  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 Series 128gb, Vertex II 60gb, Samsu... Silver Arrow SB-E Windows7 x64 Samsung S27A750D 27inch 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 Corsair HX620w Fractal Design R3 G5 
Audio
Rega DAC, Matrix M-stage, AKG K702, Swan T200b ... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2447 of 3854
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

Not even remotely true! rolleyes.gif
Phanteks has 2011 mounting,
Noctua gives you free upgrade if you have older cooler and of course the D14 SE2011 has 2011 mount.
Thermaltake Frio Extreme has all mounts
Assassin has all mounts.

Sheesh! If i read it correctly he was asking about standard silver arrow vs sb-e. They are the only 2 i was talking about
:-D
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3820 asrock extreme3 x79 HD7950 G.skill 4 x 2gb  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 Series 128gb, Vertex II 60gb, Samsu... Silver Arrow SB-E Windows7 x64 Samsung S27A750D 27inch 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 Corsair HX620w Fractal Design R3 G5 
Audio
Rega DAC, Matrix M-stage, AKG K702, Swan T200b ... 
  hide details  
Reply
:-D
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3820 asrock extreme3 x79 HD7950 G.skill 4 x 2gb  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 Series 128gb, Vertex II 60gb, Samsu... Silver Arrow SB-E Windows7 x64 Samsung S27A750D 27inch 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 Corsair HX620w Fractal Design R3 G5 
Audio
Rega DAC, Matrix M-stage, AKG K702, Swan T200b ... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2448 of 3854
Quote:
Originally Posted by icekreme1002 View Post

Sheesh! If i read it correctly he was asking about standard silver arrow vs sb-e. They are the only 2 i was talking about

Sorry. I was reading it and thinking of coolers in general, not just SA & SA SB-E:doh:
post #2449 of 3854
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

Sorry. I was reading it and thinking of coolers in general, not just SA & SA SB-E:doh:

Lol all good doyll. I had actually edited my post to say..... 'unlike u to jump to these kind of conclusions doyll! , u must have that latest cooler thread u started on the brain!!!' ;-) lol
:-D
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3820 asrock extreme3 x79 HD7950 G.skill 4 x 2gb  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 Series 128gb, Vertex II 60gb, Samsu... Silver Arrow SB-E Windows7 x64 Samsung S27A750D 27inch 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 Corsair HX620w Fractal Design R3 G5 
Audio
Rega DAC, Matrix M-stage, AKG K702, Swan T200b ... 
  hide details  
Reply
:-D
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3820 asrock extreme3 x79 HD7950 G.skill 4 x 2gb  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 Series 128gb, Vertex II 60gb, Samsu... Silver Arrow SB-E Windows7 x64 Samsung S27A750D 27inch 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 Corsair HX620w Fractal Design R3 G5 
Audio
Rega DAC, Matrix M-stage, AKG K702, Swan T200b ... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2450 of 3854
Brain?? I thought they said pain so didn't get any. rolleyes.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › The [Official] Thermalright Silver Arrow / SB-E Club