Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Warning: XFX's silent revision on the 6970
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Warning: XFX's silent revision on the 6970 - Page 7

post #61 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLord View Post
...

It frankly isn't NCIX's fault and I would have felt dishonest having them take the fall for XFX on this. I mean, when my EK-6970FC V2 gets here, I will have a watercooled 6970... even now, with stock coolers, it runs well. It was never about getting a "lesser" card (though it was a factor). It's just about getting what you paid for EXACTLY, especially for premium products such as this.
If it's any consolation, AMD hinted at better overclocking on the more widely used DrMOS setup. 6970s are not widely regarded as great overclockers, unlike like the 6950s. But I think that's got more to do with well binned 6950s achieving their innate goals which just means they clock to 6970 levels like the 6970s that they really are. The PCS++ cards have hit 1000/1600 with ease, well the review samples did iirc.

Maybe you will get better overclock performance? Also as I said before, you actually want this vrm setup because you can finally monitor vrm temps! Which is something you can't do with the Volterra card.
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #62 of 234
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post
If it's any consolation, AMD hinted at better overclocking on the more widely used DrMOS setup. 6970s are not widely regarded as great overclockers, unlike like the 6950s. But I think that's got more to do with well binned 6950s achieving their innate goals which just means they clock to 6970 levels like the 6970s that they really are. The PCS++ cards have hit 1000/1600 with ease, well the review samples did iirc.

Maybe you will get better overclock performance? Also as I said before, you actually want this vrm setup because you can finally monitor vrm temps! Which is something you can't do with the Volterra card.
Looks like there really is a silver lining in every situation
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 920 EVGA X58 Classified3 Radeon 5870 HD Dominator-GT 6GB DDR3-1700 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSKeyboard
Dual OCZ Vertex2 120GB SSD LG 1077 Windows 7 Pro x64 hermaltake eSPORTS Challenger Pro 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Strider Plus 850W Corsair Obsidian 800D Logitech G9x Razer Mantis 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 920 EVGA X58 Classified3 Radeon 5870 HD Dominator-GT 6GB DDR3-1700 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSKeyboard
Dual OCZ Vertex2 120GB SSD LG 1077 Windows 7 Pro x64 hermaltake eSPORTS Challenger Pro 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Strider Plus 850W Corsair Obsidian 800D Logitech G9x Razer Mantis 
  hide details  
Reply
post #63 of 234
honestly that is a quite a weaker card now that XFX has got their hands on it. I would have changed out the card, not the water block!

I mean after all, dont you want the extra power phase for the memory and the BIOS switch among other things?

I already avoid XFX products, and especially after I experienced the poo PCB designs they produce with a 4890...
The 775 Legend
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8600 @ 5.8 -- 1.736v Rampage Formula! GTX550ti Vmod! OCZ D9's @ 1200+ cas 5 
OSMonitorPowerCase
XPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE XGA 800x600 TR2-RX 850W Neoprene sheet 
  hide details  
Reply
The 775 Legend
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8600 @ 5.8 -- 1.736v Rampage Formula! GTX550ti Vmod! OCZ D9's @ 1200+ cas 5 
OSMonitorPowerCase
XPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE XGA 800x600 TR2-RX 850W Neoprene sheet 
  hide details  
Reply
post #64 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLord View Post
Looks like there really is a silver lining in every situation
PCS+ 6970, ti drmos vrms.
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #65 of 234
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wumpus View Post
I mean after all, dont you want the extra power phase for the memory and the BIOS switch among other things?
tsm106 seems to think the new card will actually be a better OCer.

In the end, OC'ing my card isn't the priority. It's getting rid of the insane noise while I game, and keeping the GPU cooler for longer gaming sessions.

I will certainly try to OC, though.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 920 EVGA X58 Classified3 Radeon 5870 HD Dominator-GT 6GB DDR3-1700 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSKeyboard
Dual OCZ Vertex2 120GB SSD LG 1077 Windows 7 Pro x64 hermaltake eSPORTS Challenger Pro 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Strider Plus 850W Corsair Obsidian 800D Logitech G9x Razer Mantis 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 920 EVGA X58 Classified3 Radeon 5870 HD Dominator-GT 6GB DDR3-1700 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSKeyboard
Dual OCZ Vertex2 120GB SSD LG 1077 Windows 7 Pro x64 hermaltake eSPORTS Challenger Pro 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Strider Plus 850W Corsair Obsidian 800D Logitech G9x Razer Mantis 
  hide details  
Reply
post #66 of 234
Not just what I think, it's what AMD says.


http://www.techpowerup.com/137448/AM...eries-PCB.html

Quote:
AMD is planning a revised Radeon HD 6900 series reference-design PCB. It is reported that the delays which short-supply of TI-made driver-MOSFETs caused have been tided over with, giving AMD the opportunity to redesign the PCB to make use of the more cost-effective yet high-performance VRM circuitry. AMD is reported to have used expensive Volterra-made digital PWM chippery in a last-ditch effort to release the Radeon HD 6900 series in time for the X'mas shopping season, after TI-made VRM components couldn't make it to foundry-partners in time (which caused the launch delay in November, 2010). The redesigned PCB with its new TI-made driver-MOSFETs (DrMOS) could also present an opportunity for AMD to patch the Radeon HD 6950, making stream processor unlocking using BIOS flash impossible, notes the source. This development surfaced after water-cooling major Swiftech announced that it delayed the launch of its Radeon HD 6900 series full-coverage water block because AMD is revising its PCB design.
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #67 of 234
I just read through this thread and perhaps need one education....In my mind, if I am ordering a card, I will look for two things to make sure I am getting exactly what I am after:

1) Model number printed on the technical detail section.
2) Picture that is available in the website.

It appears OP did the above two, and still got stuck with a design (good or bad) he was not aware of. So, question to tsm106 - how do you ensure above and beyond that it is V2 and not V1 (or vice versa)? There got to be some distinction somewhere BEFORE you buy it to be able to tell you are getting a V1 or a V2? Or are you saying, wait till you get the card, open it AND then buy your aftermarket cooler or whatever? If that is the case, that is absolute nonsense according to me. A consumer should not have to go through that kind of a deal to order the next part or whatever else planned for.
Wife's bane
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz Gigabyte Z77 UD3H HIS R9-290 8 GB Samsung Wonder RAM 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial SSD for OS Samsung Spinpoint F3 Asus XSPC water block, 360 radiator, and 720 reservo... 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
GPU cooling - XSPC Razer full GPU blocks Win 7 Home Premium Asus PB278Q 2560 X 1440p ISP Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
NZXT Hale90 V2 NZXT Switch 810 Logitech G500 Steelseries QcK 
Audio
Optical out to Sony receiver; Deftech Monitor 3... 
  hide details  
Reply
Wife's bane
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz Gigabyte Z77 UD3H HIS R9-290 8 GB Samsung Wonder RAM 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial SSD for OS Samsung Spinpoint F3 Asus XSPC water block, 360 radiator, and 720 reservo... 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
GPU cooling - XSPC Razer full GPU blocks Win 7 Home Premium Asus PB278Q 2560 X 1440p ISP Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
NZXT Hale90 V2 NZXT Switch 810 Logitech G500 Steelseries QcK 
Audio
Optical out to Sony receiver; Deftech Monitor 3... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #68 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaz View Post
I just read through this thread and perhaps need one education....In my mind, if I am ordering a card, I will look for two things to make sure I am getting exactly what I am after:

1) Model number printed on the technical detail section.
2) Picture that is available in the website.

It appears OP did the above two, and still got stuck with a design (good or bad) he was not aware of. So, question to tsm106 - how do you ensure above and beyond that it is V2 and not V1 (or vice versa)? There got to be some distinction somewhere BEFORE you buy it to be able to tell you are getting a V1 or a V2? Or are you saying, wait till you get the card, open it AND then buy your aftermarket cooler or whatever? If that is the case, that is absolute nonsense according to me. A consumer should not have to go through that kind of a deal to order the next part or whatever else planned for.
Dude, I've been posting about revised cards since Dec. I know about them, can't help you if you or others don't. I can't help you if you ordered parts that have specific fitment requirements BEFORE you get them in your hands. You take a chance as a consumer, doubly so with watercooling. There are no guarantees when it comes to watercooling!! You make a mistake in this hobby and you get screwed. No vendors want to take returns on this gear, so given that, make sure your parts fit together.

Thus if you don't want this to happen to you, cover your bases before hand. As I've said before, that'd be great if vendors have more transparency, but you can't go thru this hobby expecting vendors to CYA for you.

I can help you if you post a pic of the pcb and asked if it's the right fitment, that I can do.
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #69 of 234
skeet skeet skeet all over crappy components.
post #70 of 234
XFX at it again.......

XFX is well known for changing PCB layouts and leaving white resisdue on your card and then blaming the end user for it. They're good at passing the blame on to someone else. It's what they do.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400, E8600, 980BE T2RS+, P5E3, TA890FXE 8800GTS's,GTX's,GS,Ultra's,9600GT Lots of D9's and some crap DDR3 
Hard DrivePowerCase
Seagate 250GB + 80GB WD for benching TT 875w, Corsair 650TX Custom bench station 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400, E8600, 980BE T2RS+, P5E3, TA890FXE 8800GTS's,GTX's,GS,Ultra's,9600GT Lots of D9's and some crap DDR3 
Hard DrivePowerCase
Seagate 250GB + 80GB WD for benching TT 875w, Corsair 650TX Custom bench station 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Warning: XFX's silent revision on the 6970