Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [GamePron] Garry’s Mod catches pirates the fun way
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[GamePron] Garry’s Mod catches pirates the fun way - Page 13

post #121 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr216 View Post
I have no more problem with people stealing games than I have with people stealing music or films, Which is to say I find them all equally disgusting, especially people who claim they do it for any sort of moral reason, no you do it becuase your a tight thieving little SOB dont pretend its becuase sonys new DRM is terribad.
For someone who tries hard to push this aura of intelligence out of their profile, you completely lack areas. You HAVE to know your comments are so far off the mark it's untrue?

Your morals are different to other people and their justifications may seem more just to them.

Either way, categorising people as thieves to make yourself feel better doesn't work.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500 @ 4,004GHz (1.202v) Asus P8P67-PRO B3 Leadtek GTX260 65nm 896MB 700|1430|1100 4GB DDR3 Muskin 1686MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2xWD CB 250GB, 2x SG 320GB, 1xSS F1 1TB Pioneer DVD-RW Windows 7 Professional 64bit Samsung 2032BW 20" 1680x1050 16:10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Lycosa CoolerMaster GX 550W Coolermaster Storm Sniper Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500 @ 4,004GHz (1.202v) Asus P8P67-PRO B3 Leadtek GTX260 65nm 896MB 700|1430|1100 4GB DDR3 Muskin 1686MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2xWD CB 250GB, 2x SG 320GB, 1xSS F1 1TB Pioneer DVD-RW Windows 7 Professional 64bit Samsung 2032BW 20" 1680x1050 16:10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Lycosa CoolerMaster GX 550W Coolermaster Storm Sniper Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus 
  hide details  
Reply
post #122 of 143
Why wont my garrys mod shade polygon?
jk
BlackDog
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Quad Q9300 MSI P7N-SLI EVGA GTS250 512mb 4GB OCZ SLI 1066mhz 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
1 TB WD SATA Windows 7 Corsair 750HX Thermaltake M9 
  hide details  
Reply
BlackDog
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Quad Q9300 MSI P7N-SLI EVGA GTS250 512mb 4GB OCZ SLI 1066mhz 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
1 TB WD SATA Windows 7 Corsair 750HX Thermaltake M9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #123 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr216 View Post
I think having a moral compass that points away from stealing is not exactly hard to justify nor is it an ideal based on hatred its and ideal based around the idea of treat others with the respect they deserve rather than simply being out for ones own personal gain.

wow I think that's the funniest thing I've read in a long time, did you just compare, someone having a problem with people stealing to being racist? I think you did wow that has to be the most ill conceived argument ever.
Are you watching closely?

Quote:
I think having a moral compass that points away from stealing is not exactly hard to justify nor is it an ideal based on hatred
What is the term you used, oh that's right.

Quote:
your a tight thieving little SOB
I have already found a contradiction. A logical response contains no contradictions.

Quote:
treat others with the respect they deserve rather than simply being out for ones own personal gain.
Respect? Respect is a different matter, I really don't see how Valve or Daft Punk compares to Che, or Castro... My respect is reserved for the Revolutionary, not those who make music, or games.

Quote:
did you just compare, someone having a problem with people stealing to being racist?
See people like you take things like that, It's a smart move, I get it. I love your selective perception. I say "I'm not trying to make a point, it's just funny how ignorant it looks when you change that one word."

Did I?

Quote:
Racism is the belief that the genetic factors that constitute race, ethnicity, or nationality are a primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that ethnic differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
Don't recall ever saying a race was superior... But I bet you believe your beliefs are superior to mine...



Ad hominem... Nice I made it to Refutation, you made it to Ad Hominem.

Siwwy wabbit, don't you know you can't argue morals with a moral nihilist?

If you want to dispute the effects of piracy, or piracy in relation to theft then let me know, if you just want to argue morals or beliefs. I suggest you find a different target.
Edited by HappyDave - 4/18/11 at 6:16am
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsHard DriveOS
AMD 955 BE GTX 470 SAMSUNG F3 1tb Winblows 7 
Power
Corsair 850tx 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsHard DriveOS
AMD 955 BE GTX 470 SAMSUNG F3 1tb Winblows 7 
Power
Corsair 850tx 
  hide details  
Reply
post #124 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
For someone who tries hard to push this aura of intelligence out of their profile, you completely lack areas. You HAVE to know your comments are so far off the mark it's untrue?

Your morals are different to other people and their justifications may seem more just to them.

Either way, categorising people as thieves to make yourself feel better doesn't work.
I dont see how I "try to push this aura of intelligence" I simply state my opinion in the way that makes most sense to me. As for lacking areas (possibly you should try a different word or turn of phrase i'm going to assume you mean I don't consider multiple view points) I dont see your point, my morals may be different from others I acknowledge that I however do not see that a moral position, anti stealing, is hard to justify nor is it in any way unusual.

If you want to pretend to yourself that every time you download a film, album or game that it doesn't harm anyone that is your business, however claiming it to be anything other than theft is down right stupid.
Main
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K Gigabyte P67 UD5 r7970 BEDD Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial C300 256gb EK HF supreme full copper Win 7 Ultimate 120hz 1920x1080 23" LG 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky ocn edition 1000w Corsair hx Corsair 800D G9x 
Mouse PadAudio
Steelseries I-2 AKG K702 
  hide details  
Reply
Main
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K Gigabyte P67 UD5 r7970 BEDD Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial C300 256gb EK HF supreme full copper Win 7 Ultimate 120hz 1920x1080 23" LG 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky ocn edition 1000w Corsair hx Corsair 800D G9x 
Mouse PadAudio
Steelseries I-2 AKG K702 
  hide details  
Reply
post #125 of 143

Dr216..

Do you know of a man named "Notch"?

He basically made a game that has gotten very famous, he is part of a piracy group, and he supports people who torrent his game.

As you may or may not know he has recently become a Millionaire.

Rather then debate with you personally, I think his words are much more clear.

Quote:
“A lot of big companies try to make piracy like theft; I wouldn’t steal a car, but I would steal a good design. If I liked another person’s apartment, I would try to make mine look like someone else’s… but that’s not stealing.
Quote:
If a lost sale is so bad, should bad reviews be illegal? What about missed release dates?” He also believes that pirates can be converted to customers, if developers are smart. “If you just make your and keep adding to it, the people who copyright infringed would buy it the next week.”


Quote:
He suggests that pirates aren’t “inherently evil, but potential customers.”
Sources:

http://feedthegamer.info/2011-03-03/...-is-not-theft/
http://www.vg247.com/2011/03/03/notc...-is-not-theft/
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/03/02/no...ws-be-illegal/

When your done with that.. rejoice in some free music..


After you listen, ask yourself if you feel like you just stole money from Daft punk.

Do you think they are upset at you listening to their art for free, or do you think they are glad that you listened to it, and possibly enjoyed it?

But, those questions are for yourself... I don't want to get into another debate where we argue like we are speaking for daft punk.
Edited by HappyDave - 4/18/11 at 6:32am
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsHard DriveOS
AMD 955 BE GTX 470 SAMSUNG F3 1tb Winblows 7 
Power
Corsair 850tx 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsHard DriveOS
AMD 955 BE GTX 470 SAMSUNG F3 1tb Winblows 7 
Power
Corsair 850tx 
  hide details  
Reply
post #126 of 143
Not saying I condone piracy, but seriously? A $10 that goes on sale for $2.50-5.00 all the time? At least pirate a game that's not as locked down as a Steam/Valve game.
 
OverCoaster
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 7700K [4.5GHz] ASUS Z270i STRIX Titan X Pascal + Hybrid Corsair Vengeance LPX 3K [16GB] 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Kingston HyperX Savage [480GB] Mushkin Enhanced Reactor [1TB] Corsair H75 + F120MP Windows 10 Professional [x64] 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Acer Predator X34 Dell P2012Ht Razer Blackwidow X [Tournament Ed.] Corsair SF600 [600w] 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NCASE M1 [v5] G403 Wireless QcK+ [Vault 111 Ed.] Schiit Bifrost Uber + Schiit Asgard 2 + TH-X00... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670K ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac ASUS GTX 1070 FE Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 [White Ed.] 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Evo 840 [250GB] Phanteks PH-TC14PE  Win 10 Pro [x64] Dell S2716DGR [144hz] 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
KC60 [Miami Ed.] EVGA 550 G2 Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX [White] Logitech G403 
Mouse PadAudio
SS QcK Heavy AudioQuest Dragonfly Black + Sennhesier HD650 
  hide details  
Reply
 
OverCoaster
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 7700K [4.5GHz] ASUS Z270i STRIX Titan X Pascal + Hybrid Corsair Vengeance LPX 3K [16GB] 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Kingston HyperX Savage [480GB] Mushkin Enhanced Reactor [1TB] Corsair H75 + F120MP Windows 10 Professional [x64] 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Acer Predator X34 Dell P2012Ht Razer Blackwidow X [Tournament Ed.] Corsair SF600 [600w] 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NCASE M1 [v5] G403 Wireless QcK+ [Vault 111 Ed.] Schiit Bifrost Uber + Schiit Asgard 2 + TH-X00... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670K ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac ASUS GTX 1070 FE Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 [White Ed.] 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Evo 840 [250GB] Phanteks PH-TC14PE  Win 10 Pro [x64] Dell S2716DGR [144hz] 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
KC60 [Miami Ed.] EVGA 550 G2 Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX [White] Logitech G403 
Mouse PadAudio
SS QcK Heavy AudioQuest Dragonfly Black + Sennhesier HD650 
  hide details  
Reply
post #127 of 143
An interesting way to catch pirates...
MSI EX625
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 MSI MS-1674 ATI Radeon HD Mobility 4670 4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 320GB Sony CD/DVD writer Windows 7 Home 64-bit 16" 1366x768 
  hide details  
Reply
MSI EX625
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 MSI MS-1674 ATI Radeon HD Mobility 4670 4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 320GB Sony CD/DVD writer Windows 7 Home 64-bit 16" 1366x768 
  hide details  
Reply
post #128 of 143
To HappyDave...

You attack Dr216, but you haven't yet put forward a compelling reason why you think piracy is acceptable. All you have done is analyse the minute details of his posts without offering any constructive argument, and provide somewhat irrelevant quotes.

We don't want Notch's opinion (we all know it anyway), we want yours. Or perhaps you post his thoughts because you're incapable of formulating your own?
post #129 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDUK View Post
To HappyDave...

You attack Dr216, but you haven't yet put forward a compelling reason why you think piracy is acceptable. All you have done is analyse the minute details of his posts without offering any constructive argument, and provide somewhat irrelevant quotes.

We don't want Notch's opinion (we all know it anyway), we want yours. Or perhaps you post his thoughts because you're incapable of formulating your own?
This is going to be easy.

Are you watching closely?

Quote:
You attack Dr216
Nice observation, you are attacking me for attacking him, think things through.

Quote:
you haven't yet put forward a compelling reason why you think piracy is acceptable.
Acceptable=Tolerable. You don't need to tolerate piracy, go ahead and rant about how it kills sand people from mars.. I will point out the flaws in that logic by you can still choose not to tolerate it. You are hopeless to it, you have no choice in it's existence.

Quote:
All you have done is analyse the minute details of his posts without offering any constructive argument
You may want to read my posts... They disproved the claims of: Piracy is wrong by disproving a universal moral system, and shed some light on "Piracy is stealing".

The two strongest arguments against piracy, which I disproved or at least shed light on, and your saying I held no constructive argument.

Quote:
provide somewhat irrelevant quotes.
Irrelevant=not relating or pertinent to the matter at hand

You may be new here, but the subject is piracy. The quotes used were on the very subject at hand, Piracy. It's effect, political views on it..etc.

Quote:
We don't want Notch's opinion (we all know it anyway),
You don't debate his opinion, smart.. Much easier to nitpick at me then him.

Quote:
we want yours. Or perhaps you post his thoughts because you're incapable of formulating your own?
I shared my opinions, maybe your not to bright. A man can share his opinion using quotes and words from others. I can express my opinion towards death by using philosophy, and you would seriously say that it doesn't count as my philosophical belief, because Nietzsche is the one who shared it with me?

I can share my views towards piracy in the same way, by using logic already made that I agree with completely. Your basically saying that I have to write the words originally or it doesn't count as my own opinion.

You basically just want my opinion even after it's offered. I don't really have any opinion towards piracy as a whole, What do you want me to say that I believe others should agree with me, or that piracy is good or bad.. Here I will give you everything I can that are close to my opinions on piracy.

I am against measures of censorship to remove it. I am OK with it being illegal, but I am against bloggers being sued for linking to Piratebay... Does my opinions matter..No. Does yours...Nope... and finally does his..Nope.

Quote:
we want yours. Or perhaps you post his thoughts because you're incapable of formulating your own?
That's not a question, you can throw a question mark in front of that all you want, I see that as a typo. You mean to state it as a opinion or belief, not as a question. You are not asking me if I am incapable of formulating my own opinions, your are saying "I don't believe your capable of formulating opinions."

I have went into detail... Let's see how you have SCORED...!


OUR SURVEY SAYS: Responding to Tone.

Congrats, you made it one above him!

That's it for this time, Tune in next time when people finally read my posts!

*Music and Screen fades to black*


Edited by HappyDave - 4/18/11 at 8:26am
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsHard DriveOS
AMD 955 BE GTX 470 SAMSUNG F3 1tb Winblows 7 
Power
Corsair 850tx 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsHard DriveOS
AMD 955 BE GTX 470 SAMSUNG F3 1tb Winblows 7 
Power
Corsair 850tx 
  hide details  
Reply
post #130 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDave View Post
Acceptable=Tolerable. You don't need to tolerate piracy, go ahead and rant about how it kills sand people from mars.. I will point out the flaws in that logic by you can still choose not to tolerate it. You are hopeless to it, you have no choice in it's existence.
What? Sand people? You're saying that piracy is OK because I personally do not have the power to stop it?

Quote:
You may want to read my posts... They disproved the claims of: Piracy is wrong by disproving a universal moral system, and shed some light on "Piracy is stealing".
I am assuming that by your previous posts you are referring to this:

Quote:
Allow me to destroy everyone here who thinks piracy is wrong.

Right and wrong, are based on morals. Morals are a individuals values, some believe that their morals are right and should be applied to everyone (These people are pretentious, or religious, or both.) None of this matters, as it is a fact people have different morals, thus disproving the theory of a entire moral core for everyone.

Piracy is wrong belief is disproved, saying Piracy is wrong is hand in hand with beliefs, so saying piracy is wrong is essentially saying "My beliefs are right, and opposing belief is by default wrong"
Which you have crossed out on the grounds that Dr216 is supposedly unable to comprehend your seemingly superior intellect.

There are individual morals and then there are collective morals. Collective morals are an "average" of what a group of people (a society) believe to be correct. Individuals can disagree, but they are not necessarily correct. One individual may believe it is OK to rape, murder, or steal. These are their individual morals, and they do not correlate with the rest of society. Just because one individual disagrees, it doesn't mean that ALL morals are irrelevant.

Of course you are entitled to act on your alternative morals (ie rape or murder someone, steal something), but you can expect a consequence if this conflicts with the collective opinion of morality (you will be arrested).

Quote:
You don't debate his opinion, smart.. Much easier to nitpick at me then him.
That's because it's not your opinion. You've just copied and pasted the quotes because they are from a prominent indie developer and they happen to align with your pro-piracy argument.

Quote:
I shared my opinions, maybe your not to bright
That is a personal attack and there's no need for it.

Quote:
A man can share his opinion using quotes and words from others. I can express my opinion towards death by using philosophy, and you would seriously say that it doesn't count as my philosophical belief, because Nietzsche is the one who shared it with me?

I can share my views towards piracy in the same way, by using logic already made that I agree with completely. Your basically saying that I have to write the words originally or it doesn't count as my own opinion.
By all means, use quotes to back up your own argument. I would genuinely be interested to hear it.

Quote:
You basically just want my opinion even after it's offered. I don't really have any opinion towards piracy as a whole, What do you want me to say that I believe others should agree with me, or that piracy is good or bad.. Here I will give you everything I can that are close to my opinions on piracy.
No what I want is justification for your opinion. Explain to me why you think piracy is OK.

Quote:
I am against measures of censorship to remove it. I am OK with it being illegal, but I am against bloggers being sued for linking to Piratebay...
Ok great, now why do you think this? And more importantly, why do you think piracy is acceptable?

Quote:
Does my opinions matter..No. Does yours...Nope... and finally does his..Nope.
Everyone's opinion matters, informed debate is important.

Quote:
That's not a question, you can throw a question mark in front of that all you want, I see that as a typo. You mean to state it as a opinion or belief, not as a question. You are not asking me if I am incapable of formulating my own opinions, your are saying "I don't believe your capable of formulating opinions."
And you accuse me of nitpicking. I haven't mentioned a single one of your grammatical or spelling errors. I don't really think the question mark was the most important part of that sentence, I was challenging you to offer your own opinion.

Quote:
I have went into detail... Let's see how you have SCORED...!


OUR SURVEY SAYS: Responding to Tone.

Congrats, you made it one above him!

That's it for this time, Tune in next time when people finally read my posts!

*Music and Screen fades to black*
I'm afraid in this instance there is no substance to refute and your childish tone is entirely relevant.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [GamePron] Garry’s Mod catches pirates the fun way