Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [GamePron] Garry’s Mod catches pirates the fun way
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[GamePron] Garry’s Mod catches pirates the fun way - Page 14

post #131 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDave View Post
Nice observation, you are attacking me for attacking him, think things through.
No he is making an observation you have not added anything to the discussion simply said you disagree with me. At no point thus far have you made an actual argument that is relevant or informative. Notch is interesting but not realy relevant he has made millions selling a game that is simple and has doesn't care if it is pirated, but its cost him very little to make if he had invested millions into the project I think he would feel somewhat differently about protecting his investment.

I agree that draconian DRM and trying to stop pirates will not work nothing is unhackable, however that one can do something does not mean one should. Personally I would like to see a system where developers reward customers who make the purchase rather than try and slap the ones that dont, Which is in fact what allot of these companies are doing see free to play using micro transaction games.


Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDave View Post
Acceptable=Tolerable. You don't need to tolerate piracy, go ahead and rant about how it kills sand people from mars.. I will point out the flaws in that logic by you can still choose not to tolerate it. You are hopeless to it, you have no choice in it's existence.
No acceptable != tolerable, I have yet to see someone suggest piracy kill people from Mars, however suggesting that piracy is a victimless crime is patently absurd, what you don't seem to understand is someone has to pay for your "free" game nothing in this life is free even if it is free at the point of consumption someone somewhere is paying for it somewhere along the line.



Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDave View Post
You may want to read my posts... They disproved the claims of: Piracy is wrong by disproving a universal moral system, and shed some light on "Piracy is stealing".

The two strongest arguments against piracy, which I disproved or at least shed light on, and your saying I held no constructive argument.
Except you shed no light and you disproved nothing, you say there is no universal moral code, your correct there are some out there who do not live by the same moral standards as 99% of the worlds population. Even in the most different of cultures and belief systems there is an underlying moral theme not murdering people, not raping people and not stealing. Yes there are some people who live outside of these moral guidelines but you know what we call them? politicians criminals.



Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDave View Post
Irrelevant=not relating or pertinent to the matter at hand

You may be new here, but the subject is piracy. The quotes used were on the very subject at hand, Piracy. It's effect, political views on it..etc.
except you didn't you commented on my statement that my reasons for being anti piracy were borne out of mutual respect rather than hatred, ineffectively I might add.



Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDave View Post
You don't debate his opinion, smart.. Much easier to nitpick at me then him.



I shared my opinions, maybe your not to bright. A man can share his opinion using quotes and words from others. I can express my opinion towards death by using philosophy, and you would seriously say that it doesn't count as my philosophical belief, because Nietzsche is the one who shared it with me?

I can share my views towards piracy in the same way, by using logic already made that I agree with completely. Your basically saying that I have to write the words originally or it doesn't count as my own opinion.

You basically just want my opinion even after it's offered. I don't really have any opinion towards piracy as a whole, What do you want me to say that I believe others should agree with me, or that piracy is good or bad.. Here I will give you everything I can that are close to my opinions on piracy.

I am against measures of censorship to remove it. I am OK with it being illegal, but I am against bloggers being sued for linking to Piratebay... Does my opinions matter..No. Does yours...Nope... and finally does his..Nope.
and finally a statement that makes sense and contains valid arguments. I agree mostly with what you say here. I dont believe the measured used by the big companies will work I do not believe they are right BUT that does not mean I think piracy is right.



P.s. your scoring system makes you look like a complete tool, not least because you dont actually seem to understand that in fact, you have been firmly wedged into contradiction you have not refuted a single point as you have supplied no proof the quotes you used were my arguments that you were dissecting. But its fine its your opinion and you know something about opinions? they are personal and what is true for one person is not necessarily true for another.
Main
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K Gigabyte P67 UD5 r7970 BEDD Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial C300 256gb EK HF supreme full copper Win 7 Ultimate 120hz 1920x1080 23" LG 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky ocn edition 1000w Corsair hx Corsair 800D G9x 
Mouse PadAudio
Steelseries I-2 AKG K702 
  hide details  
Reply
Main
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K Gigabyte P67 UD5 r7970 BEDD Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial C300 256gb EK HF supreme full copper Win 7 Ultimate 120hz 1920x1080 23" LG 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky ocn edition 1000w Corsair hx Corsair 800D G9x 
Mouse PadAudio
Steelseries I-2 AKG K702 
  hide details  
Reply
post #132 of 143
This thread so full of WIN so full of FAIL it is...

ROFLCOPTER
Rig 2.0
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus P8Z77-V EVGA GTX780 SC ACX Samsung DDR 3 (2 DIMMS) MV-3V4G3D/US 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 830 SSD WD Caviar Black Asus DVD/RW Xigmatek s-1283 HDT (Air Cooling) 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Scythe Slipstream 1200RPM (x2) Antec 140mm + Antec 120mm + Xigmatek 120mm (x2) Win 7 64bit Acer S243HL bmii - 24" 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX750 Corsair Carbide 300R MX 518 Auzentek X-Fi Forte 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Rig 2.0
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus P8Z77-V EVGA GTX780 SC ACX Samsung DDR 3 (2 DIMMS) MV-3V4G3D/US 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 830 SSD WD Caviar Black Asus DVD/RW Xigmatek s-1283 HDT (Air Cooling) 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Scythe Slipstream 1200RPM (x2) Antec 140mm + Antec 120mm + Xigmatek 120mm (x2) Win 7 64bit Acer S243HL bmii - 24" 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX750 Corsair Carbide 300R MX 518 Auzentek X-Fi Forte 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #133 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyOverclocker View Post
Maybe because Steve Jobs makes more money off of a piece of music today than the artist does? If you want to support Apple, buy a song from iTunes. If you really want to support an artist, then buy a concert ticket or purchase music directly from the artist's website.

If you ask around, you will find that most people here will buy music, but only from indie labels or directly from the artist's websites.
This man speaks the truth. Artists make around 50 cents per album sold. Where's the other $14+ go? Into the pockets of CEOs and other "management". Support the artists by going to their concerts.
Needs More Red
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asrock Z77 Extreme4 Gigabyte Windforce 290X OC 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 Low Voltage 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 Low Voltage 1TB Samsung F3 2TB Samsung F4 OCZ Agility 3 256GB 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 24x DVD+-RW Lite-On 12x Bluray Burner Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO Windows 8.1 Pro x64 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Yamakasi Catleap Q270 Antec TruePower 850W Thermaltake V4 Black Logitech G400s 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries QCK Ultrasone Pro 900 Fiio E17 
  hide details  
Reply
Needs More Red
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asrock Z77 Extreme4 Gigabyte Windforce 290X OC 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 Low Voltage 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 Low Voltage 1TB Samsung F3 2TB Samsung F4 OCZ Agility 3 256GB 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 24x DVD+-RW Lite-On 12x Bluray Burner Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO Windows 8.1 Pro x64 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Yamakasi Catleap Q270 Antec TruePower 850W Thermaltake V4 Black Logitech G400s 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries QCK Ultrasone Pro 900 Fiio E17 
  hide details  
Reply
post #134 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDave View Post
Allow me to destroy everyone here who thinks piracy is wrong.

Right and wrong, are based on morals. Morals are a individuals values, some believe that their morals are right and should be applied to everyone (These people are pretentious, or religious, or both.) None of this matters, as it is a fact people have different morals, thus disproving the theory of a entire moral core for everyone.

Piracy is wrong belief is disproved, saying Piracy is wrong is hand in hand with beliefs, so saying piracy is wrong is essentially saying "My beliefs are right, and opposing belief is by default wrong"
Correct... Which is why I'm glad society, with it's burdensome concept of law and order, exists in it's current form. But let us ignore the whole moral relativism discussion, I much prefer objective reasoning. That is, evidence must support the facts. That said, we don't have clear evidence one way or the other(pubs/devs rarely release accurate sales figures and gauging piracy's net impact lacks any basis in reality).

So what do we have? Nothing, which is why you have yet to (dis)prove anything. You have not made an objective argument, only argued from a moral perspective. Such an argument is inconsequential for numerous reasons(it is subjective and irrelevant to PC gaming). The argument for or against piracy can only ever have meaning if taken contextually - by that one has to consider piracy's impact on the future health/status of PC gaming as an industry/hobby.

I find it difficult to fathom how many PC gamers are selfish, ignorant or sufficiently self-deluded to believe their actions will not(or cannot) adversely effect their cherished pastime, namely gaming on the PC. Deny causality all you want or argue that the evidence is lacking, but try and avoid relativistic platitudes in the future. A relativistic position is not always a fallacy(at least when considering it on an individualistic level), but when arguing about objective truth or facts(in this case as they involve piracy's net effect) it is...

FWIW, I realize correlation does not imply causation... Unsurprisingly, I have yet to see one person prove that piracy is neutral or even positive for AAA or indie gaming as a whole(an isolated case or two is hardly proof).
Calculon Ω
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6700 @ 3.7Ghz 1.37V DFI LT X48-T2R vNB 1.24 EVGA 460GTX 4x2GB Patriot 1000mhz CL5 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x x-25m Vista x64 24" BenQ G2400WD Corsair VX550W 
Case
CM Cosmos 1000 
  hide details  
Reply
Calculon Ω
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6700 @ 3.7Ghz 1.37V DFI LT X48-T2R vNB 1.24 EVGA 460GTX 4x2GB Patriot 1000mhz CL5 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x x-25m Vista x64 24" BenQ G2400WD Corsair VX550W 
Case
CM Cosmos 1000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #135 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by r34p3rex View Post
This man speaks the truth. Artists make around 50 cents per album sold. Where's the other $14+ go? Into the pockets of CEOs and other "management". Support the artists by going to their concerts.
Thisthisthis.

No one needs a large label for controlled radio play anymore. Let them suffocate away and support artists by buying from their sites or at their shows. Donate to their site if they provide their music for free.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.5 (1.39v) Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P ASUS 5850 @ 880/1180 (1.118v) 4gb 1333mhz G.Skill DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
64gb Crucial M4 SSD 3x 250gb WD2500JD - RAID0 1tb WD1001FALS 1tb WD10EARS 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Pioneer DLDVD/CDRW Arctic Freezer Pro 64 Win 7 64bit Ultimate E2305 LG 23" LED 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch II Ninja Tenkeyless Fortron BlueStorm II 500w CM 690II Advanced Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
generic Echo Miamidi PCI M-Audio BX5a Studio Monitors 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.5 (1.39v) Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P ASUS 5850 @ 880/1180 (1.118v) 4gb 1333mhz G.Skill DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
64gb Crucial M4 SSD 3x 250gb WD2500JD - RAID0 1tb WD1001FALS 1tb WD10EARS 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Pioneer DLDVD/CDRW Arctic Freezer Pro 64 Win 7 64bit Ultimate E2305 LG 23" LED 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch II Ninja Tenkeyless Fortron BlueStorm II 500w CM 690II Advanced Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
generic Echo Miamidi PCI M-Audio BX5a Studio Monitors 
  hide details  
Reply
post #136 of 143
lol win! who would pirate a 10 dollar game tho? really its kinda pathetic.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[Athlon 64 3400+ NewCastle| 2.4Ghz] [ASRock K8Upgrade-NF3 | Coming SOON] [Saphire Radeon X1600PRO | AGP] [1GB Double Data Rate Synchronous Dynamic RAM] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
[Seagate 250GB | IDE] [Generic DVD Drive] [Windows XP Pro 32bit] [HP 15" | 1024x768] 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
[Crappy HP keyboard] [Generic 300w =/ ] [Case? BAHAHAHA!!] [Crappy Ball Mouse] 
Mouse Pad
LOLWUT 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[Athlon 64 3400+ NewCastle| 2.4Ghz] [ASRock K8Upgrade-NF3 | Coming SOON] [Saphire Radeon X1600PRO | AGP] [1GB Double Data Rate Synchronous Dynamic RAM] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
[Seagate 250GB | IDE] [Generic DVD Drive] [Windows XP Pro 32bit] [HP 15" | 1024x768] 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
[Crappy HP keyboard] [Generic 300w =/ ] [Case? BAHAHAHA!!] [Crappy Ball Mouse] 
Mouse Pad
LOLWUT 
  hide details  
Reply
post #137 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
For someone who tries hard to push this aura of intelligence out of their profile, you completely lack areas. You HAVE to know your comments are so far off the mark it's untrue?

Your morals are different to other people and their justifications may seem more just to them.

Either way, categorising people as thieves to make yourself feel better doesn't work.
Ignoring PM's when you're clearly active is abit rude. You're either gonna send me my item that I've paid for or refend me, But dont ignore me and continue to post on OCN.

Sorry for off topic guys.
   
MBP
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2.7 - 3.7 GHz Apple Mobo GTX650M 16GB 1600MHz  
Hard DriveOSMonitor
768GB SSD SOC OSX Mountain Lion / Windows 7  Retina IPS 2880x1800 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Sandy Bridge I7 2.4GHz Apppleezzz HD 6750M 16gb DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOS
1.75 TB N/A OSX//Windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
   
MBP
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2.7 - 3.7 GHz Apple Mobo GTX650M 16GB 1600MHz  
Hard DriveOSMonitor
768GB SSD SOC OSX Mountain Lion / Windows 7  Retina IPS 2880x1800 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Sandy Bridge I7 2.4GHz Apppleezzz HD 6750M 16gb DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOS
1.75 TB N/A OSX//Windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #138 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rian View Post
Ignoring PM's when you're clearly active is abit rude. You're either gonna send me my item that I've paid for or refend me, But dont ignore me and continue to post on OCN.

Sorry for off topic guys.
looks like you may be out of luck he writes a post slamming me for being against stealing...seems that doesn't just apply to software.
Main
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K Gigabyte P67 UD5 r7970 BEDD Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial C300 256gb EK HF supreme full copper Win 7 Ultimate 120hz 1920x1080 23" LG 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky ocn edition 1000w Corsair hx Corsair 800D G9x 
Mouse PadAudio
Steelseries I-2 AKG K702 
  hide details  
Reply
Main
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K Gigabyte P67 UD5 r7970 BEDD Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial C300 256gb EK HF supreme full copper Win 7 Ultimate 120hz 1920x1080 23" LG 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky ocn edition 1000w Corsair hx Corsair 800D G9x 
Mouse PadAudio
Steelseries I-2 AKG K702 
  hide details  
Reply
post #139 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr216 View Post
looks like you may be out of luck he writes a post slamming me for being against stealing...seems that doesn't just apply to software.
they say the laws we have in place today can be seen as some sort of social contract. humans are naturally inclined to maximize their self-interests while disregarding other people but because there are other people who also want to maximize their self-interest they also will disregard you to achieve their interests. we can see that this won't turn out well if everyone is killing each other for the whole pie. thus society is born where we compromise and agree to a set of rules so we aren't killing and robbing each other to maximize our self-interests. its not the whole pie but at least everyone can get a slice without hurting each other.

this does not really apply to software and digital media where people fight over it. you don't necessarily steal or kill someone and grab their mp3. files from their homes. you can easily download it online via various methods where this item is reproduced infinitely without harm, in most ways at least.

what about the software developers, the movie producers and the recording studios? the majority of people can maximize their self-interest with complete disregard to the creators and owners of their property since the same thing being done to the artists and inventors won't be done to the majority of the people who download media off the internet.

if you had the Ring of Gyges thus freeing yourself from our social contract, wouldn't you do whatever you wanted without any consequence to yourself?
Edited by dontpwnmebro - 4/19/11 at 7:31pm
post #140 of 143
But what happens if this legitimately happens on an official version of the game, and then they ban the dude... Could spell lawsuit if it ever happens randomly, then it would be SOL for the developers.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3820 WC'd ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional Sapphire + Gigabyte R9 290X CF WC'd 16GB G. Skill Ripjaws Z 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 RAID 1 2x 250GB Samsung 840 Series SSD RAID 1 Samsung Burner w/ Lightscribe Custom Watercooling 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit LG 34UC88 (3440x1440) + Crossover 27Q 1440p Roccat Ryos MK Pro Cherry MX Brown Cooler Master Silent Pro 1200W Gold 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master HAF 922 w/ Dust Filters Roccat Kone XTD + Roccat Apuri 2x XFX Warpad ODAC > Glow Amp One > K702/65 
AudioOther
Yamaha Receiver + 5.1 Xbox One Wireless Controller 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 540M @ 3.33Ghz DC 3.65Ghz SC Acer Intel HD 3000 + ATi Radeon HD 5650M Switchable 4GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMouse
OCZ Vertex 2 SSD Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 13.3" 1366x768 G700 
Audio
iBasso D-Zero Headphone AMP + DAC 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3820 WC'd ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional Sapphire + Gigabyte R9 290X CF WC'd 16GB G. Skill Ripjaws Z 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 RAID 1 2x 250GB Samsung 840 Series SSD RAID 1 Samsung Burner w/ Lightscribe Custom Watercooling 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit LG 34UC88 (3440x1440) + Crossover 27Q 1440p Roccat Ryos MK Pro Cherry MX Brown Cooler Master Silent Pro 1200W Gold 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master HAF 922 w/ Dust Filters Roccat Kone XTD + Roccat Apuri 2x XFX Warpad ODAC > Glow Amp One > K702/65 
AudioOther
Yamaha Receiver + 5.1 Xbox One Wireless Controller 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 540M @ 3.33Ghz DC 3.65Ghz SC Acer Intel HD 3000 + ATi Radeon HD 5650M Switchable 4GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMouse
OCZ Vertex 2 SSD Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 13.3" 1366x768 G700 
Audio
iBasso D-Zero Headphone AMP + DAC 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [GamePron] Garry’s Mod catches pirates the fun way