Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Networking & Security › Best paid VPN service?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best paid VPN service? - Page 2

post #11 of 28
Something like squid over SSH to a cheapy VPS would likely give you the best network performance as well be the most cost effective. Data from your house to the server would be RSA encrypted.
Waiting on X399
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II B57 @ X4 3.9 Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5 Sapphire Radeon 290 8 GB G.Skill 2133 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
250 GB 840 EVO Noctua NH-D14 Windows 10 Logitech K350 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic x750 Corsair 600T Logitech G100s Razer Goliathus Speed 
Audio
Plantronics Gamecom 788 
  hide details  
Reply
Waiting on X399
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II B57 @ X4 3.9 Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5 Sapphire Radeon 290 8 GB G.Skill 2133 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
250 GB 840 EVO Noctua NH-D14 Windows 10 Logitech K350 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic x750 Corsair 600T Logitech G100s Razer Goliathus Speed 
Audio
Plantronics Gamecom 788 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segovax View Post
Well I have Peer Block and I don't like how many entities there are out there that just try to see what I'm doing. I like my privacy in all areas of life. Just because I'm online I don't think people should be able to follow me around and keep a record of what I do and what I look at.

What would be an answer to the question?
If your just wanting to keep your information private and browsing habits to yourself (outside of illegal activity). It would be suggested to first and foremost ensure your system and network is secure.

If on the other hand your doing a bunch of illegal activity and trying to mask it from law enforcement, even going through a VPN will have the capabilities of tracing it back to you.
The Raven
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-2600K Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5-B3 EVGA GTX 570 SC EVGA GTX 570 SC 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1866 Samsung 840 Pro  iHAS324 - Lite-On DVD-RW Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 ASUS VN248 ASUS VN248 Logitech G510 
PowerCaseMouse
XFX 850W BE SILVERSTONE RV02B-EW Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
The Raven
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-2600K Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5-B3 EVGA GTX 570 SC EVGA GTX 570 SC 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1866 Samsung 840 Pro  iHAS324 - Lite-On DVD-RW Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 ASUS VN248 ASUS VN248 Logitech G510 
PowerCaseMouse
XFX 850W BE SILVERSTONE RV02B-EW Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segovax View Post
Well I have Peer Block and I don't like how many entities there are out there that just try to see what I'm doing. I like my privacy in all areas of life. Just because I'm online I don't think people should be able to follow me around and keep a record of what I do and what I look at.

What would be an answer to the question?
THAT is an answer to the question.

Using a VPN will prevent your ISP from seeing what you're doing (except that they see your connection to a VPN) but it doesn't prevent anyone from seeing your traffic from the VPN. In case of a criminal or civil action, your VPN provider can be forced to give you up.

Not to mention, the records that organizations keep of who you are and what you are doing are tied to the information you give them. Did you use your real name and birthday on Facebook?

For not being tracked by ad agencies and such, something like Adblock Plus is your best bet.
Underground
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 C0 ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution GTX 460 TR3X6G1600C8D 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD1001FALS SAMSUNG SH-S223F 22X DVD MULTI Corsair H50 Fedora 16 KDE x86_64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP w19b Microsoft Comfort Curve Corsair CX600 Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer DeathAdder Black 
  hide details  
Reply
Underground
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 C0 ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution GTX 460 TR3X6G1600C8D 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD1001FALS SAMSUNG SH-S223F 22X DVD MULTI Corsair H50 Fedora 16 KDE x86_64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP w19b Microsoft Comfort Curve Corsair CX600 Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer DeathAdder Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 28
Ignore me. I read VPS, not VPN.
Edited by Plex - 4/20/11 at 1:59pm
Intellect v2
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700K Processor ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO LGA1151 DDR4 M.2 SAT... EVGA GTX 1080 SC ACX 3.0 Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC... 
CoolingKeyboardPowerCase
Noctua NH-D15 Das Keyboard 4 Professional (Brown) Corsair AX860 Fractal Design Define R5 
Mouse
MIONIX NAOS 7000 
  hide details  
Reply
Intellect v2
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700K Processor ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO LGA1151 DDR4 M.2 SAT... EVGA GTX 1080 SC ACX 3.0 Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC... 
CoolingKeyboardPowerCase
Noctua NH-D15 Das Keyboard 4 Professional (Brown) Corsair AX860 Fractal Design Define R5 
Mouse
MIONIX NAOS 7000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by error10 View Post
THAT is an answer to the question.

Using a VPN will prevent your ISP from seeing what you're doing (except that they see your connection to a VPN) but it doesn't prevent anyone from seeing your traffic from the VPN. In case of a criminal or civil action, your VPN provider can be forced to give you up.

Not to mention, the records that organizations keep of who you are and what you are doing are tied to the information you give them. Did you use your real name and birthday on Facebook?

For not being tracked by ad agencies and such, something like Adblock Plus is your best bet.
Thank you. Privacy from my own ISP is a big one for me, I forgot to list it. I don't use illegal torrents, I don't look at child pornography, I don't hack. It makes me uncomfortable though when all these weird companies show up on PeerBlock trying to connect to my system. It just doesn't feel right, it's like they have their hands in my pocket as I walk by.
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segovax View Post
Thank you. Privacy from my own ISP is a big one for me, I forgot to list it. I don't use illegal torrents, I don't look at child pornography, I don't hack. It makes me uncomfortable though when all these weird companies show up on PeerBlock trying to connect to my system. It just doesn't feel right, it's like they have their hands in my pocket as I walk by.
Welcome to the Internet. I'll be your guide.

All those incoming connections have nothing to do with your ISP. Some are indeed nefarious and up to no good (MPAA, Cyveillance, etc.) and they should be blocked. Others are random connections usually by bots attempting to exploit system vulnerabilities.

Most of that stuff should have been dropped at your router, unless you did something silly like make your PC the DMZ host.
Underground
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 C0 ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution GTX 460 TR3X6G1600C8D 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD1001FALS SAMSUNG SH-S223F 22X DVD MULTI Corsair H50 Fedora 16 KDE x86_64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP w19b Microsoft Comfort Curve Corsair CX600 Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer DeathAdder Black 
  hide details  
Reply
Underground
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 C0 ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution GTX 460 TR3X6G1600C8D 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD1001FALS SAMSUNG SH-S223F 22X DVD MULTI Corsair H50 Fedora 16 KDE x86_64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP w19b Microsoft Comfort Curve Corsair CX600 Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer DeathAdder Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 28
As stated you should not be getting those on your PC unless you have some type of torrent client running. Without a listening port at the router level any non-originated-from-inside connection will simply be dropped and never make it into your internal LAN PC's.
Waiting on X399
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II B57 @ X4 3.9 Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5 Sapphire Radeon 290 8 GB G.Skill 2133 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
250 GB 840 EVO Noctua NH-D14 Windows 10 Logitech K350 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic x750 Corsair 600T Logitech G100s Razer Goliathus Speed 
Audio
Plantronics Gamecom 788 
  hide details  
Reply
Waiting on X399
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II B57 @ X4 3.9 Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5 Sapphire Radeon 290 8 GB G.Skill 2133 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
250 GB 840 EVO Noctua NH-D14 Windows 10 Logitech K350 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic x750 Corsair 600T Logitech G100s Razer Goliathus Speed 
Audio
Plantronics Gamecom 788 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by error10 View Post
Welcome to the Internet. I'll be your guide.

All those incoming connections have nothing to do with your ISP. Some are indeed nefarious and up to no good (MPAA, Cyveillance, etc.) and they should be blocked. Others are random connections usually by bots attempting to exploit system vulnerabilities.

Most of that stuff should have been dropped at your router, unless you did something silly like make your PC the DMZ host.
My router is a WZR-HP-G300NH and the DMZ setting is kind of weird... it has a place for me to add the IP of the DMZ. But I haven't added it so it should be off right? I know my ISP doesn't have anything to do with those connections but I still don't like them in my pocket. Why do ISP's even exist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beers View Post
As stated you should not be getting those on your PC unless you have some type of torrent client running. Without a listening port at the router level any non-originated-from-inside connection will simply be dropped and never make it into your internal LAN PC's.
I used a torrent recently to grab a program, the newest Heaven benchmark. I have not been able to connect to Steam, and I am doing a scan with MSE and it said it found something but it is still scanning. I use MWB too but it didn't find anything on a full scan.

I would like to learn more about networking but I need some resources.
Edited by Segovax - 4/20/11 at 4:55pm
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segovax View Post
My router is a WZR-HP-G300NH and the DMZ setting is kind of weird... it has a place for me to add the IP of the DMZ. But I haven't added it so it should be off right? I know my ISP doesn't have anything to do with those connections but I still don't like them in my pocket. Why do ISP's even exist?
ISPs exist so that you can purchase access to the Internet from your home or office.
Underground
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 C0 ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution GTX 460 TR3X6G1600C8D 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD1001FALS SAMSUNG SH-S223F 22X DVD MULTI Corsair H50 Fedora 16 KDE x86_64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP w19b Microsoft Comfort Curve Corsair CX600 Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer DeathAdder Black 
  hide details  
Reply
Underground
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 C0 ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution GTX 460 TR3X6G1600C8D 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD1001FALS SAMSUNG SH-S223F 22X DVD MULTI Corsair H50 Fedora 16 KDE x86_64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP w19b Microsoft Comfort Curve Corsair CX600 Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer DeathAdder Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by error10 View Post
ISPs exist so that you can purchase access to the Internet from your home or office.
Right but why do I need to purchase access to the internet? Why can't we just access it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Networking & Security
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Networking & Security › Best paid VPN service?