Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Lowering budget.... new build
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lowering budget.... new build

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
So I was originally planning on i5 2400 vs. 2500K and decided on the 2500K. However, unfortunately I burnt my kitchen counter and have to pay the apartment $300 when I move out end of this month, so F-M-L.

Anyways, due to that I have to lower my budget, and ended up with this:

EDIT: I've decided to squeeze in an extra $100 for i5 and H67 mobo
i5 2400 ($190)
Gigabyte GA-H67M-D2-B3 ($85)

G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB 1333 9-9-9-24 ($40)
Asus GTX 460 768 ($120)
Seagate 500GB ST3500418AS ($30)
Seasonic S12II 620W ($65)
Asus DRW-24B1ST Bulk ($20)
CM HAF 912 ($50)
Yate Loon D12SL 120mm ($5)

Total after taxes (13%) comes to ~ $575

Any advice?

P.S. I didn't choose AMD 955 because:
1. I only use this for school work and some games
2. I don't do any video or programming stuff
3. I want to use newer technology
Edited by reyo - 4/15/11 at 1:17pm
Incomplete
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2400 p8h67m-le asus 560ti dcu ii top ripjaws 2x2gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd black 500gb asus 24x corsair a70 win7 pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ve278q azio levetron kb577u antec tp-650 haf 912 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
logitech g9x steelseries xxl logitech z313 corsair hs1a 
  hide details  
Reply
Incomplete
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2400 p8h67m-le asus 560ti dcu ii top ripjaws 2x2gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd black 500gb asus 24x corsair a70 win7 pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ve278q azio levetron kb577u antec tp-650 haf 912 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
logitech g9x steelseries xxl logitech z313 corsair hs1a 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 10
Sigh,

Newer tech isn't always better, You could do much better with the AMD route. On the build above I would probably change the hard drive to the samsung F3 500Gb. It's a better performing drive.

The PSU is a very nice choice, I would have tried to push for the tigher timings on the memory but in a machine like this you wouldn't notice it.

All in all, for a budget build, you've spec'ed it out rather well. I would just change the hard drive.

Comps
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by compuman145 View Post
Sigh,

Newer tech isn't always better, You could do much better with the AMD route. On the build above I would probably change the hard drive to the samsung F3 500Gb. It's a better performing drive.

The PSU is a very nice choice, I would have tried to push for the tigher timings on the memory but in a machine like this you wouldn't notice it.

All in all, for a budget build, you've spec'ed it out rather well. I would just change the hard drive.

Comps
I've heard great things about the F3 unfortunately NCIX Canada doesn't carry it... My choices were WDC Blue and Seagate and I went with Seagate because it's only $30....

Other than that... I've been looking at benchmarks and the 2100 performs better in games.. and don't expect me OC with that crappy motherboard LOL

I was considering my original plan of 955 and 770 mobo... but I only like the Gigabyte 770, however Asus service center is 15 minutes drive away (but the asus 770 doesn't seem that good)
Incomplete
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2400 p8h67m-le asus 560ti dcu ii top ripjaws 2x2gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd black 500gb asus 24x corsair a70 win7 pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ve278q azio levetron kb577u antec tp-650 haf 912 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
logitech g9x steelseries xxl logitech z313 corsair hs1a 
  hide details  
Reply
Incomplete
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2400 p8h67m-le asus 560ti dcu ii top ripjaws 2x2gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd black 500gb asus 24x corsair a70 win7 pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ve278q azio levetron kb577u antec tp-650 haf 912 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
logitech g9x steelseries xxl logitech z313 corsair hs1a 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 10
tbh between the two, I would personally go with intel because I prefer them. Over the seagate and WDC blue I would have gone with the blue. Cheaper isn't always better and with your storage you don't want to cheap out on it.

But tbh, with this calibre of machine, you'll be ok.
post #5 of 10
I would try and change the board. I can see why you went with the i3 2100 because later you can drop in a k series quad as you're on 1155, but you won't be able to do much on that board in terms of overclocking, I'm guessing. I've never had any luck with the CSM board, anyways(atleast the cheaper ones).

So even if you wanted a chip to overclock, you may need a new board anyways.

In terms of gaming performance you'll be roughly around a 3.5Ghz Phenom II Quad, so if you're ok with that, it'll work out nicely. Stuff like Starcraft 2 will play nicely. You're stuck at the max BCLK of 107(??) on 1155, so you'll only get like 3.3 out of that chip.

I recently had the same decision to make as I refuse to spend more then a certain amount just to play games, and it was between an i3 540(1156) or the 1155 i3 and ended up choosing my current system. While Sandy Bridge is 10-15%(maybe a touch more) faster clock for clock, that won't make up the massive difference in clock speed when overclocked.

Like I said you'll probably have to switch your board out anyways, if you get a 2500k or something so it's a tough choice. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the build presented, though. If you're just looking to play games, that'll work beautifully.

Which part of Canada are you in? I would look around for a local computer store, you can save on shipping and all that if it's possible and may squeeze alittle more out of your budget.

The Seagates are fine. I've had 3 or 4 of them and throw them in budget builds for other people. They are by far the best bang for your buck, especially since f3's are hard to find in Canada. They are quick and quiet. Reliability on that model is also fine.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i3 4150 Gigabyte  Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050 Ti 8GB DDR3 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 10 x64 Samsung BX2450 300 Watt Bitfenix 
Audio
Small Amp + Pair of Realistic Minimus 26 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 4570 H81 EVGA Geforce GTX 750 Ti 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital 1TB 7200 RPM  Windows 10 Pro x64 HP w2007 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i3 4150 Gigabyte  Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050 Ti 8GB DDR3 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 10 x64 Samsung BX2450 300 Watt Bitfenix 
Audio
Small Amp + Pair of Realistic Minimus 26 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 4570 H81 EVGA Geforce GTX 750 Ti 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital 1TB 7200 RPM  Windows 10 Pro x64 HP w2007 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by compuman145 View Post
tbh between the two, I would personally go with intel because I prefer them. Over the seagate and WDC blue I would have gone with the blue. Cheaper isn't always better and with your storage you don't want to cheap out on it.

But tbh, with this calibre of machine, you'll be ok.
I originally wanted the WDC Bluue ($40) but the Seagate is on sale that's why it's only $30. Their benchmark is pretty much the same, so it's all down to reliability....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsemama1956 View Post
I would try and change the board. I can see why you went with the i3 2100 because later you can drop in a k series quad as you're on 1155, but you won't be able to do much on that board in terms of overclocking, I'm guessing. I've never had any luck with the CSM board, anyways(atleast the cheaper ones).

So even if you wanted a chip to overclock, you may need a new board anyways.

In terms of gaming performance you'll be roughly around a 3.5Ghz Phenom II Quad, so if you're ok with that, it'll work out nicely. Stuff like Starcraft 2 will play nicely. You're stuck at the max BCLK of 107(??) on 1155, so you'll only get like 3.3 out of that chip.

I recently had the same decision to make as I refuse to spend more then a certain amount just to play games, and it was between an i3 540(1156) or the 1155 i3 and ended up choosing my current system. While Sandy Bridge is 10-15%(maybe a touch more) faster clock for clock, that won't make up the massive difference in clock speed when overclocked.

Like I said you'll probably have to switch your board out anyways, if you get a 2500k or something so it's a tough choice. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the build presented, though. If you're just looking to play games, that'll work beautifully.

Which part of Canada are you in? I would look around for a local computer store, you can save on shipping and all that if it's possible and may squeeze alittle more out of your budget.

The Seagates are fine. I've had 3 or 4 of them and throw them in budget builds for other people. They are by far the best bang for your buck, especially since f3's are hard to find in Canada. They are quick and quiet. Reliability on that model is also fine.
The thing is, I want to stick to Asus boards because their service center is so close... and it's either this one or the regular P8H61-M and I chose the cheaper one as their spec didn't seem to have any difference.. what is the LE/CSM anyways?

I'm in Toronto (Kitchener right now because I go to school in Waterloo but finishing up my degree and going back home end of the month). I dig around on NCIX a lot because there is a local one near my house and I love their ASPM
Incomplete
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2400 p8h67m-le asus 560ti dcu ii top ripjaws 2x2gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd black 500gb asus 24x corsair a70 win7 pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ve278q azio levetron kb577u antec tp-650 haf 912 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
logitech g9x steelseries xxl logitech z313 corsair hs1a 
  hide details  
Reply
Incomplete
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2400 p8h67m-le asus 560ti dcu ii top ripjaws 2x2gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd black 500gb asus 24x corsair a70 win7 pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ve278q azio levetron kb577u antec tp-650 haf 912 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
logitech g9x steelseries xxl logitech z313 corsair hs1a 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 
Decided that quad core would be a better choice... and changing the mobo along with it
Incomplete
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2400 p8h67m-le asus 560ti dcu ii top ripjaws 2x2gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd black 500gb asus 24x corsair a70 win7 pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ve278q azio levetron kb577u antec tp-650 haf 912 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
logitech g9x steelseries xxl logitech z313 corsair hs1a 
  hide details  
Reply
Incomplete
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2400 p8h67m-le asus 560ti dcu ii top ripjaws 2x2gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd black 500gb asus 24x corsair a70 win7 pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ve278q azio levetron kb577u antec tp-650 haf 912 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
logitech g9x steelseries xxl logitech z313 corsair hs1a 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 10
I would still have a look for a P67 motherboard rather than the H67.

Comps
post #9 of 10
Order parts off the forums as well.
My System
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 5 1600 Asrock B350 Fatal1ty ITX Asus GTX1060 G.Skill 8gb 3000mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250gb Samsung 850 Pro SATA LG DVD Burner Windows 10 Pro X64 23" Asus 144hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 EVGA 500w Gold EVGA Hadron Air Logitech G Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 5 1600 Asrock B350 Fatal1ty ITX Asus GTX1060 G.Skill 8gb 3000mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250gb Samsung 850 Pro SATA LG DVD Burner Windows 10 Pro X64 23" Asus 144hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 EVGA 500w Gold EVGA Hadron Air Logitech G Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by compuman145 View Post
I would still have a look for a P67 motherboard rather than the H67.

Comps
The extra $100 is going straight to the CPU because the H67 is the same price as the H61 ($2 difference...)
Incomplete
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2400 p8h67m-le asus 560ti dcu ii top ripjaws 2x2gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd black 500gb asus 24x corsair a70 win7 pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ve278q azio levetron kb577u antec tp-650 haf 912 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
logitech g9x steelseries xxl logitech z313 corsair hs1a 
  hide details  
Reply
Incomplete
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2400 p8h67m-le asus 560ti dcu ii top ripjaws 2x2gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd black 500gb asus 24x corsair a70 win7 pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ve278q azio levetron kb577u antec tp-650 haf 912 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
logitech g9x steelseries xxl logitech z313 corsair hs1a 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Lowering budget.... new build