Overclock.net banner

Help with Ubuntu Wireless Please! [solved-ish]

1K views 37 replies 6 participants last post by  Transhour 
#1 ·
I am trying to install a ASUS wireless driver into my pc that I just installed Ubuntu on and I have no idea how to and neither do the ppl at ASUs who I just got off the phone with. Any help would be awesome. I just want to play more with linux.

ps, I posted this here because its to get more folding done as it is a dedicated folding pc.

#2 ·
It may be Folding related, but you'd probably get more responses in the Linux section... you want me to move it over?

#4 ·
Gladly... we don't need Canadians in the Folding section, thank you very much.

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cait_0523
View Post

I am trying to install a ASUS wireless driver into my pc that I just installed Ubuntu on and I have no idea how to and neither do the ppl at ASUs who I just got off the phone with. Any help would be awesome. I just want to play more with linux.

ps, I posted this here because its to get more folding done as it is a dedicated folding pc.

What wireless card is it?

#7 ·
Quote:

View Post

it is an asus usb-n13

The driver for this adapter is included with Linux. Plug it in, click the network icon on your taskbar, choose a wireless access point to connect to, and Bob's your uncle.

#8 ·
got a chipset name or wanna run lspci to get hardware information?
that will help for starters

generally it should be fairly easy with modprobe to load a driver module

#9 ·
DOUBLE POST CAUSE CHROMIUM HATES OCN

little slow on the draw sorry i loaded a bunch of pages and was going through them systematically

you can ignore both posts if you like

#11 ·
Quote:

View Post

I wish it was being that simple.... right now its not. its not finding it...

tried

ifup wlan0

or

ifup eth0

??
just turns your network card on basically... first one is for wireless specifically but if its being angry it might just name the nic eth0

EDIT: iceweasel lets me edit posts
yay!

#12 ·
Quote:

View Post

I wish it was being that simple.... right now its not. its not finding it...

Try a different USB port?

If it really isn't showing up, paste the output from:

Code:
Code:
lsusb -n
dmesg | tail -n 25

#14 ·
Applications> Accessories> Terminal, then type in the code error posted.

#16 ·
Quote:

View Post

it says

ifup: failed to open statefile /var/run/network/ifstate: Permission denied

and the other one said n wasn't an option and gave me a big list of options. im still working on that one though

if something says permission denied stick "sudo" in front of it
youll just have to type in your password... it basically runs a command with elevated permissions

EDIT: make sure you should run it first
dont do like an rm -rf --no-preserve-root / and put sudo in front just because it says it wants higher permissions XD (note, dont run that command, ever)

#18 ·
It did actually:

Quote:

ifup: failed to open statefile /var/run/network/ifstate: Permission denied

#19 ·
ifup is basically a short hand version of ifconfig up

the long syntax would be ifconfig eth0 up

there is some differences, but basically thats how you turn on a network card thats currently off... you need admin permissions to do it so if you run it as

sudo ifup wlan0

it will run as admin, ifconfig up, on wlan0 your first wireless card

if you know windows networking a bit, ifconfig is basically the linux ipconfig with some more functions in it

EDIT: no guarantee this will work, but its a really easy to type in one line short command to see if its just currently disabled

#21 ·
Quote:

View Post

ok so it enabled it in the terminal but it still wont find it. I don't get it. this would be so much easier if it was a different issue.

so...

sudo ifup wlan0

^^^ that worked? or did it give some kinda error output?

#25 ·
Quote:

View Post

ok so now i put in lsusb tail -n and it listed them all this time.

bus 002 device 005: ID 0b05:1784 ASUSTek Computer, Inc. 802.11n Network Adapter

thats a good thing right?

any progress is good progress!

EDIT: and excuse us if we seem kinda unhelpful right now, its not expected of anyone to know linux right off the bat and its hard to trouble shoot without seeing the actual problem

what exactly is it not doing? not seeing your network? not connecting? what?

#26 ·
Quote:

View Post

yup its plugged in and yes sudo ifup wlan0 worked

So are you now getting internet through the wireless dongle or not? Does Networkmanager show wireless networks you can connect to?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.