Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › ASRock Extreme4 build, To-Do List?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ASRock Extreme4 build, To-Do List?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Ok, so I finally got almost everything together. I am waiting on my dad to suck it up and go buy my processor, and then I need him to either give me some money he owes me so I can buy a monitor (or he needs to buy my monitor for me). Other than that, my rig is ready. It shouldn't be too long now

Now, the point of this thread was to ask people of some things I should do first. I haven't built a rig from scratch any time recently and I have never had to mess with much in the BIOS (or UEFI, in this case). I've never had a PC capable of overclocking (I've been using a laptop for the last 3-4 years and my previous PC, and the one before that, both ran too hot to overclock and weren't worth buying an aftermarket cooler).

What settings should I change in the UEFI first? I noticed the manual that came with the board mentioned a thing or two to change, so I need to do those. But are there any power saving features that hinder performance, or any options that improve stability, or anything? Any UEFI options I should change at all. I won't be overclocking off the bat, I'll get around to that in a couple weeks probably after I get this thing together and all set up, and after I finish the last schoolwork of the semester. So overclocking things aren't exactly what I'm looking for right now.

Are there new UEFI updates that wouldn't be on my board already (my board shipped in 2 days ago, I ordered it about 6 days ago)? I mean I know I can find out if the UEFI isn't the latest release, but I was just wondering if anyone knew here so I can expect to need to update it or not.

Just thought I'd get any suggestions or input from anyone with experience with this board (or anything that's a common option to change among P67 boards).

Thanks for any help guys!
Edited by TriplePlay - 4/16/11 at 7:41pm
Pumpmaster Flex
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 TI 11GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB Cryorig H7 Windows 10 Pro Ducky One TKL Side Print PBT 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNOVA 850w Fractal Design Define R5 Black Silent Logitech G502 Proteus Core SteelSeries QcK Heavy 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Schiit Magni 2 + Modi 2 Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition Over-Ear Head... Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Headphones AntLion ModMic 
Other
Sennheiser HD 650 
  hide details  
Reply
Pumpmaster Flex
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 TI 11GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB Cryorig H7 Windows 10 Pro Ducky One TKL Side Print PBT 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNOVA 850w Fractal Design Define R5 Black Silent Logitech G502 Proteus Core SteelSeries QcK Heavy 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Schiit Magni 2 + Modi 2 Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition Over-Ear Head... Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Headphones AntLion ModMic 
Other
Sennheiser HD 650 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 11
Just make sure you read the manual and connect stuff to sata 0-5 not the marvell controller s sata, or else youll need to enable Marvell controller.
Change the Ram`s timing and speed to stock in Dram configuration
Change the speed of the cpu`s fan to level 5 or below cuz it will be at 100% fan speed when you install it on the board.
So far thats all i can think of.
As ROCK!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k 4,8 Ghz 1.435v 4,6 ghz 24/7 Asrock p67 extreme 4 Ga-Gtx 560 ti 960 mhz 4200 mhz mem 4G RipjawsX 1600 mhz 8-8-8-24 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
window 7 22 inchs acer side winder x 6 POS Corsair ax 750w 
CaseMouse
Antec 9 hundreds 2 Razer death adder 
  hide details  
Reply
As ROCK!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k 4,8 Ghz 1.435v 4,6 ghz 24/7 Asrock p67 extreme 4 Ga-Gtx 560 ti 960 mhz 4200 mhz mem 4G RipjawsX 1600 mhz 8-8-8-24 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
window 7 22 inchs acer side winder x 6 POS Corsair ax 750w 
CaseMouse
Antec 9 hundreds 2 Razer death adder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushimaster View Post
Just make sure you read the manual and connect stuff to sata 0-5 not the marvell controller s sata, or else youll need to enable Marvell controller.
Change the Ram`s timing and speed to stock in Dram configuration
Change the speed of the cpu`s fan to level 5 or below cuz it will be at 100% fan speed when you install it on the board.
So far thats all i can think of.
Thanks, these are exactly the kinds of things I was hoping to hear.

I did use SATA 0 and SATA 1 for my hard drive and DVD drive, respectively.

I'll make sure I check the RAM speed/timings. Should it not auto-detect those, or is it just that there's a chance that it might change them?

Regarding CPU fan speed, does it not have a sort of "auto" setting that raises and lowers the CPU fan based on the temperature and/or load on the processor? I kind of would have guessed it would vary at least a little (even if it's just change from low to high) depending on termperature.

Any other input that anyone can give on this board (or even if it's something common among all motherboards or just P67 boards) that I should know would be most helpful and much appreciated!
Pumpmaster Flex
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 TI 11GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB Cryorig H7 Windows 10 Pro Ducky One TKL Side Print PBT 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNOVA 850w Fractal Design Define R5 Black Silent Logitech G502 Proteus Core SteelSeries QcK Heavy 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Schiit Magni 2 + Modi 2 Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition Over-Ear Head... Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Headphones AntLion ModMic 
Other
Sennheiser HD 650 
  hide details  
Reply
Pumpmaster Flex
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 TI 11GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB Cryorig H7 Windows 10 Pro Ducky One TKL Side Print PBT 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNOVA 850w Fractal Design Define R5 Black Silent Logitech G502 Proteus Core SteelSeries QcK Heavy 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Schiit Magni 2 + Modi 2 Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition Over-Ear Head... Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Headphones AntLion ModMic 
Other
Sennheiser HD 650 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriplePlay View Post
Thanks, these are exactly the kinds of things I was hoping to hear.

I did use SATA 0 and SATA 1 for my hard drive and DVD drive, respectively.

I'll make sure I check the RAM speed/timings. Should it not auto-detect those, or is it just that there's a chance that it might change them?

Regarding CPU fan speed, does it not have a sort of "auto" setting that raises and lowers the CPU fan based on the temperature and/or load on the processor? I kind of would have guessed it would vary at least a little (even if it's just change from low to high) depending on termperature.

Any other input that anyone can give on this board (or even if it's something common among all motherboards or just P67 boards) that I should know would be most helpful and much appreciated!
Well i think you have to maually set the timing. I did on mine
U can set the fan from level 1 to 9, then set a target temperature, say 60 degree at level 5 fan, when u stress load your cpu and the 4 cores exceed 60 degree for a short period of time, the fan will auto raise to level 9 fan to cool the cpu, then when the temps drop down below 60 degrees, the fan come back to level 5. U can set the fan speed in AXTU( asrock extreme tuning utility) sofware or in bios.

I personally set my fan to level 4 and target temperature is 65c , or else the hyper 212 s fan are too loud
Edited by Sushimaster - 4/17/11 at 3:51pm
As ROCK!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k 4,8 Ghz 1.435v 4,6 ghz 24/7 Asrock p67 extreme 4 Ga-Gtx 560 ti 960 mhz 4200 mhz mem 4G RipjawsX 1600 mhz 8-8-8-24 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
window 7 22 inchs acer side winder x 6 POS Corsair ax 750w 
CaseMouse
Antec 9 hundreds 2 Razer death adder 
  hide details  
Reply
As ROCK!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k 4,8 Ghz 1.435v 4,6 ghz 24/7 Asrock p67 extreme 4 Ga-Gtx 560 ti 960 mhz 4200 mhz mem 4G RipjawsX 1600 mhz 8-8-8-24 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
window 7 22 inchs acer side winder x 6 POS Corsair ax 750w 
CaseMouse
Antec 9 hundreds 2 Razer death adder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushimaster View Post
Well i think you have to maually set the timing. I did on mine
U can set the fan from level 1 to 9, then set a target temperature, say 60 degree at level 5 fan, when u stress load your cpu and the 4 cores exceed 60 degree for a short period of time, the fan will auto raise to level 9 fan to cool the cpu, then when the temps drop down below 60 degrees, the fan come back to level 5. U can set the fan speed in AXTU( asrock extreme tuning utility) sofware or in bios.

I personally set my fan to level 4 and target temperature is 65c , or else the hyper 212 s fan are too loud
Ok, cool. I'll do all that. I got the Hyper 212+ too. I think I'll eventually get another fan for a push/pull setup. Right now I only have the one fan that came with it.
Pumpmaster Flex
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 TI 11GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB Cryorig H7 Windows 10 Pro Ducky One TKL Side Print PBT 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNOVA 850w Fractal Design Define R5 Black Silent Logitech G502 Proteus Core SteelSeries QcK Heavy 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Schiit Magni 2 + Modi 2 Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition Over-Ear Head... Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Headphones AntLion ModMic 
Other
Sennheiser HD 650 
  hide details  
Reply
Pumpmaster Flex
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 TI 11GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB Cryorig H7 Windows 10 Pro Ducky One TKL Side Print PBT 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNOVA 850w Fractal Design Define R5 Black Silent Logitech G502 Proteus Core SteelSeries QcK Heavy 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Schiit Magni 2 + Modi 2 Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition Over-Ear Head... Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Headphones AntLion ModMic 
Other
Sennheiser HD 650 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 11
Heres what i always do with a new Mobo/Cpu.
when i first fire the new combo up i go right to the bios and set everything to stock settings or auto, cpu,ram,fans,volts then i save and restart.
Fresh install of the OS, Get all updates, OS,Video, Mobo, chip set, Bios. Once all updates are done the i run a few benchmark tests and measure CPU temps, MeM read/write/latency, Hdd. After all that i have a baseline to judge anything i try with my new setup to see how much a difference it is.
Sig Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K Z77 Extreme4 MSI GTX760 Corsair Vengeance 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Vengeance OCZ Vertex4  Samsung 840 EVO Zalman LQ320 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 X64 25in Steel Series Apex Antic TP-750 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Rosewill Challlenger v2 Mionix Naos 8200 None 
  hide details  
Reply
Sig Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K Z77 Extreme4 MSI GTX760 Corsair Vengeance 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Vengeance OCZ Vertex4  Samsung 840 EVO Zalman LQ320 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 X64 25in Steel Series Apex Antic TP-750 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Rosewill Challlenger v2 Mionix Naos 8200 None 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadais View Post
Heres what i always do with a new Mobo/Cpu.
when i first fire the new combo up i go right to the bios and set everything to stock settings or auto, cpu,ram,fans,volts then i save and restart.
Fresh install of the OS, Get all updates, OS,Video, Mobo, chip set, Bios. Once all updates are done the i run a few benchmark tests and measure CPU temps, MeM read/write/latency, Hdd. After all that i have a baseline to judge anything i try with my new setup to see how much a difference it is.
Yeah, that was pretty much my plan. I was just wondering if there were any particular settings that I should definitely change to something in particular in case something is known to cause problems and I should change it, or if something is known to give improvements in some way.
Pumpmaster Flex
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 TI 11GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB Cryorig H7 Windows 10 Pro Ducky One TKL Side Print PBT 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNOVA 850w Fractal Design Define R5 Black Silent Logitech G502 Proteus Core SteelSeries QcK Heavy 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Schiit Magni 2 + Modi 2 Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition Over-Ear Head... Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Headphones AntLion ModMic 
Other
Sennheiser HD 650 
  hide details  
Reply
Pumpmaster Flex
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 TI 11GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB Cryorig H7 Windows 10 Pro Ducky One TKL Side Print PBT 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNOVA 850w Fractal Design Define R5 Black Silent Logitech G502 Proteus Core SteelSeries QcK Heavy 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Schiit Magni 2 + Modi 2 Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition Over-Ear Head... Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Headphones AntLion ModMic 
Other
Sennheiser HD 650 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 11
oh also , when you get into window, insert the cd and it will install every software that came with the board, u might not have internet when you first got into window tho, happened to me, the Cd that come with the board should make the internet working.
As ROCK!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k 4,8 Ghz 1.435v 4,6 ghz 24/7 Asrock p67 extreme 4 Ga-Gtx 560 ti 960 mhz 4200 mhz mem 4G RipjawsX 1600 mhz 8-8-8-24 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
window 7 22 inchs acer side winder x 6 POS Corsair ax 750w 
CaseMouse
Antec 9 hundreds 2 Razer death adder 
  hide details  
Reply
As ROCK!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k 4,8 Ghz 1.435v 4,6 ghz 24/7 Asrock p67 extreme 4 Ga-Gtx 560 ti 960 mhz 4200 mhz mem 4G RipjawsX 1600 mhz 8-8-8-24 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
window 7 22 inchs acer side winder x 6 POS Corsair ax 750w 
CaseMouse
Antec 9 hundreds 2 Razer death adder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushimaster View Post
oh also , when you get into window, insert the cd and it will install every software that came with the board, u might not have internet when you first got into window tho, happened to me, the Cd that come with the board should make the internet working.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll remember that if I have that issue.
Pumpmaster Flex
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 TI 11GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB Cryorig H7 Windows 10 Pro Ducky One TKL Side Print PBT 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNOVA 850w Fractal Design Define R5 Black Silent Logitech G502 Proteus Core SteelSeries QcK Heavy 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Schiit Magni 2 + Modi 2 Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition Over-Ear Head... Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Headphones AntLion ModMic 
Other
Sennheiser HD 650 
  hide details  
Reply
Pumpmaster Flex
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 TI 11GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB Cryorig H7 Windows 10 Pro Ducky One TKL Side Print PBT 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNOVA 850w Fractal Design Define R5 Black Silent Logitech G502 Proteus Core SteelSeries QcK Heavy 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Schiit Magni 2 + Modi 2 Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition Over-Ear Head... Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Headphones AntLion ModMic 
Other
Sennheiser HD 650 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriplePlay View Post
Yeah, that was pretty much my plan. I was just wondering if there were any particular settings that I should definitely change to something in particular in case something is known to cause problems and I should change it, or if something is known to give improvements in some way.
You can update to bios 1,62 since i think your board will be ship with bios 1,60 like mine, i didnt update tho, didnt need to but thats up to you ^^
As ROCK!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k 4,8 Ghz 1.435v 4,6 ghz 24/7 Asrock p67 extreme 4 Ga-Gtx 560 ti 960 mhz 4200 mhz mem 4G RipjawsX 1600 mhz 8-8-8-24 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
window 7 22 inchs acer side winder x 6 POS Corsair ax 750w 
CaseMouse
Antec 9 hundreds 2 Razer death adder 
  hide details  
Reply
As ROCK!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k 4,8 Ghz 1.435v 4,6 ghz 24/7 Asrock p67 extreme 4 Ga-Gtx 560 ti 960 mhz 4200 mhz mem 4G RipjawsX 1600 mhz 8-8-8-24 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
window 7 22 inchs acer side winder x 6 POS Corsair ax 750w 
CaseMouse
Antec 9 hundreds 2 Razer death adder 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › ASRock Extreme4 build, To-Do List?