Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › Partitioning My System Drive - Have questions, would appreciate some answers!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Partitioning My System Drive - Have questions, would appreciate some answers!

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
I recently moved back to dual HDD's instead of running a RAID-0 array (AMD raid controllers suck anyways) and I basically set my PC up like I have for years:

Physical Drive 0 : Windows and minor programs whose installation paths can't be changed; (C:\\)

Physical Drive 1 : Programs, page file, games, and media (D:\\)

Both drives are 500GB drives and I'm curious to know:

If I partition out a chunk of the system drive (C:\\) with the Windows installation on it, then use that for extra media/VirtualBox+VirtualOS will it decrease the speediness of Windows (as opposed to having nothing but Windows on the drive)?

Also, if I use the Disk Management features in the administration tools I'm figuring that it'll likely chunk it in half (I've seen it done before, in a VM). So what can I use to decrease my C:\\ (Windows only) to say 80GB or less and use the rest as E:\\ (new logical drive?)
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaSMK View Post
I recently moved back to dual HDD's instead of running a RAID-0 array (AMD raid controllers suck anyways) and I basically set my PC up like I have for years:

Physical Drive 0 : Windows and minor programs whose installation paths can't be changed; (C:\\)

Physical Drive 1 : Programs, page file, games, and media (D:\\)

Both drives are 500GB drives and I'm curious to know:

If I partition out a chunk of the system drive (C:\\) with the Windows installation on it, then use that for extra media/VirtualBox+VirtualOS will it decrease the speediness of Windows (as opposed to having nothing but Windows on the drive)?

Also, if I use the Disk Management features in the administration tools I'm figuring that it'll likely chunk it in half (I've seen it done before, in a VM). So what can I use to decrease my C:\\ (Windows only) to say 80GB or less and use the rest as E:\\ (new logical drive?)
Partitioning a chunk of the OS Partition whilst it's installed will corrupt the OS. I don't even think it's possible. Just reformat and set a 80GB partition during windows installation. Delete both drives and then click new and set the sizes for each partition during windows install.
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyW View Post
Partitioning a chunk of the OS Partition whilst it's installed will corrupt the OS. I don't even think it's possible. Just reformat and set a 80GB partition during windows installation. Delete both drives and then click new and set the sizes for each partition during windows install.
No, in disk management you can 'shrink' the size of the system drive, you have the option to do that. I'm assuming something like Partition Magic will do what I want but I'm not sure.

And also I just finished reformatting, made images of certain points of the install, after not having done a clean install (non-RAID) for a very, very long time. I want to enjoy things for a few.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 9
oh ok by shrinking the size it will increase read speed. And yes partition magic will help do what you want. However the trial version will not!
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaSMK View Post
I recently moved back to dual HDD's instead of running a RAID-0 array (AMD raid controllers suck anyways) and I basically set my PC up like I have for years:

Physical Drive 0 : Windows and minor programs whose installation paths can't be changed; (C:\\)

Physical Drive 1 : Programs, page file, games, and media (D:\\)

Both drives are 500GB drives and I'm curious to know:

If I partition out a chunk of the system drive (C:\\) with the Windows installation on it, then use that for extra media/VirtualBox+VirtualOS will it decrease the speediness of Windows (as opposed to having nothing but Windows on the drive)?

Also, if I use the Disk Management features in the administration tools I'm figuring that it'll likely chunk it in half (I've seen it done before, in a VM). So what can I use to decrease my C:\\ (Windows only) to say 80GB or less and use the rest as E:\\ (new logical drive?)
You have the right idea, but wrong implementation. Install the OS and ALL of the programs and games on drive 0. Put the page file and all media and data files on drive 1. You can shrink the OS partition down some if you want and create a second partition for seldom used data files, but I wouldn't put files you access on a regular basis or any media files on it as that will normally cause stuttering of the system as the head's thrash around from one end of the platters to the other.

Windows 7 and Vista can shrink the drive from disk management. XP requires a third party app to accomplish it. Easeus Partition Master is free and can handle it. MiniTool Partition Wizard can do it as long as you haven't installed Win 7 SP1 (it hasn't been updated to support Win7 SP1 yet for some reason) but works with any other version of Windows.

That's what I've found to work best.
442
(15 items)
 
Q6600
(14 items)
 
Piece O' Crappola
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 E0 DFI LanParty LT P35-T2R 2 x HD4670QT512P CF Patriot PVS24G8500ELKN 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Stock pfsense Acer H233H Antec EarthWatts 430 
CaseAudio
custom onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 B3 Lapped @ 3.4 GA-EP45-UD3R EVGA 9600GSO 384m 96SP 4G (2x2) Patriot Viper PC2-8500 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
80g Maxtor, 320WDC. 320Seagate NEC ND-3550 & LiteOn CM Hyper 212+ w/PP Blademasters XP Pro SP3 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer H233H Rosewill RG630-S12 NZXT BetaEVO 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6420 GA-P35-DS3L GeForce 7300LE 2G PNY PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
80Gig WDC SATA NEC ND3540A Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/XP Pro Acer H233H 
PowerCase
Antec Earthwatts 430 none 
  hide details  
Reply
442
(15 items)
 
Q6600
(14 items)
 
Piece O' Crappola
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 E0 DFI LanParty LT P35-T2R 2 x HD4670QT512P CF Patriot PVS24G8500ELKN 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Stock pfsense Acer H233H Antec EarthWatts 430 
CaseAudio
custom onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 B3 Lapped @ 3.4 GA-EP45-UD3R EVGA 9600GSO 384m 96SP 4G (2x2) Patriot Viper PC2-8500 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
80g Maxtor, 320WDC. 320Seagate NEC ND-3550 & LiteOn CM Hyper 212+ w/PP Blademasters XP Pro SP3 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer H233H Rosewill RG630-S12 NZXT BetaEVO 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6420 GA-P35-DS3L GeForce 7300LE 2G PNY PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
80Gig WDC SATA NEC ND3540A Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/XP Pro Acer H233H 
PowerCase
Antec Earthwatts 430 none 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
You have the right idea, but wrong implementation. Install the OS and ALL of the programs and games on drive 0. Put the page file and all media and data files on drive 1. You can shrink the OS partition down some if you want and create a second partition for seldom used data files, but I wouldn't put files you access on a regular basis or any media files on it as that will normally cause stuttering of the system as the head's thrash around from one end of the platters to the other.

Windows 7 and Vista can shrink the drive from disk management. XP requires a third party app to accomplish it. Easeus Partition Master is free and can handle it. MiniTool Partition Wizard can do it as long as you haven't installed Win 7 SP1 (it hasn't been updated to support Win7 SP1 yet for some reason) but works with any other version of Windows.

That's what I've found to work best.
Hrm really?! I was always under the impression (through an old neighbor who was a complete computer guru back in the 80's and 90's (he still is a guru though no longer my neighbor) and I learned through him that it was better to separate the OS and all the programs/data from it (if possible) so that the OS has to spend less time looking for it's own files let alone through various other files/folders (directories...) etc.

So you say I should have installed:

Windows 7, Steam & Standalone Games, Programs/Apps, etc, everything to my OS (C:\\) drive?!

It doesn't make sense to me as the OS would spend less time reading data from two drives when simultaneous files were needed from two different spectrums IE: Windows operates on it's own while running (let's just say) BFBC2 and when BFBC2 needs textures/files or when Windows does, it has access to both drives (separately) for the same files at the same time rather than waiting to look for them individually if they were on the same drive..

^Oh god long sentence(s)......

Now I'm confused...
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 9
That's just the way I've found it to provide the best performance. But either way, the extra space on the OS hard drive should only be used as a partition for seldom used data files and NEVER for media files like videos or music. That just slows everything down and normally causes the OS to stutter. That's why you see so many people using a 1TB Samsung F3 as their OS drive short stroked to about 100gigs or so. That puts the OS on the absolute best performing segment of the drive. They leave the rest of the drive blank so it doesn't interfere with the performance. Some will even put a pair of the 1tb F3's in Raid 0 short stroked to about 100-200 gigs for their OS. That's a lot of wasted space, but it gives them the best performance by keeping the heads confined to a small area of the splatters.
442
(15 items)
 
Q6600
(14 items)
 
Piece O' Crappola
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 E0 DFI LanParty LT P35-T2R 2 x HD4670QT512P CF Patriot PVS24G8500ELKN 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Stock pfsense Acer H233H Antec EarthWatts 430 
CaseAudio
custom onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 B3 Lapped @ 3.4 GA-EP45-UD3R EVGA 9600GSO 384m 96SP 4G (2x2) Patriot Viper PC2-8500 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
80g Maxtor, 320WDC. 320Seagate NEC ND-3550 & LiteOn CM Hyper 212+ w/PP Blademasters XP Pro SP3 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer H233H Rosewill RG630-S12 NZXT BetaEVO 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6420 GA-P35-DS3L GeForce 7300LE 2G PNY PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
80Gig WDC SATA NEC ND3540A Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/XP Pro Acer H233H 
PowerCase
Antec Earthwatts 430 none 
  hide details  
Reply
442
(15 items)
 
Q6600
(14 items)
 
Piece O' Crappola
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 E0 DFI LanParty LT P35-T2R 2 x HD4670QT512P CF Patriot PVS24G8500ELKN 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Stock pfsense Acer H233H Antec EarthWatts 430 
CaseAudio
custom onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 B3 Lapped @ 3.4 GA-EP45-UD3R EVGA 9600GSO 384m 96SP 4G (2x2) Patriot Viper PC2-8500 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
80g Maxtor, 320WDC. 320Seagate NEC ND-3550 & LiteOn CM Hyper 212+ w/PP Blademasters XP Pro SP3 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer H233H Rosewill RG630-S12 NZXT BetaEVO 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6420 GA-P35-DS3L GeForce 7300LE 2G PNY PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
80Gig WDC SATA NEC ND3540A Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/XP Pro Acer H233H 
PowerCase
Antec Earthwatts 430 none 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
That's just the way I've found it to provide the best performance. But either way, the extra space on the OS hard drive should only be used as a partition for seldom used data files and NEVER for media files like videos or music. That just slows everything down and normally causes the OS to stutter. That's why you see so many people using a 1TB Samsung F3 as their OS drive short stroked to about 100gigs or so. That puts the OS on the absolute best performing segment of the drive. They leave the rest of the drive blank so it doesn't interfere with the performance. Some will even put a pair of the 1tb F3's in Raid 0 short stroked to about 100-200 gigs for their OS. That's a lot of wasted space, but it gives them the best performance by keeping the heads confined to a small area of the splatters.
Bah.......
Now I need to get this old OEM 80GB Raptor I've been eye-balling at work. (It'll hopefully be free. And I'm talking legit free, no five finger discount by my hands...)

@#$&*!
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 9
That would probably be rather slow compared to current drives, but it would be worth a shot.
442
(15 items)
 
Q6600
(14 items)
 
Piece O' Crappola
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 E0 DFI LanParty LT P35-T2R 2 x HD4670QT512P CF Patriot PVS24G8500ELKN 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Stock pfsense Acer H233H Antec EarthWatts 430 
CaseAudio
custom onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 B3 Lapped @ 3.4 GA-EP45-UD3R EVGA 9600GSO 384m 96SP 4G (2x2) Patriot Viper PC2-8500 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
80g Maxtor, 320WDC. 320Seagate NEC ND-3550 & LiteOn CM Hyper 212+ w/PP Blademasters XP Pro SP3 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer H233H Rosewill RG630-S12 NZXT BetaEVO 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6420 GA-P35-DS3L GeForce 7300LE 2G PNY PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
80Gig WDC SATA NEC ND3540A Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/XP Pro Acer H233H 
PowerCase
Antec Earthwatts 430 none 
  hide details  
Reply
442
(15 items)
 
Q6600
(14 items)
 
Piece O' Crappola
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 E0 DFI LanParty LT P35-T2R 2 x HD4670QT512P CF Patriot PVS24G8500ELKN 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Stock pfsense Acer H233H Antec EarthWatts 430 
CaseAudio
custom onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 B3 Lapped @ 3.4 GA-EP45-UD3R EVGA 9600GSO 384m 96SP 4G (2x2) Patriot Viper PC2-8500 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
80g Maxtor, 320WDC. 320Seagate NEC ND-3550 & LiteOn CM Hyper 212+ w/PP Blademasters XP Pro SP3 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer H233H Rosewill RG630-S12 NZXT BetaEVO 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6420 GA-P35-DS3L GeForce 7300LE 2G PNY PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
80Gig WDC SATA NEC ND3540A Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/XP Pro Acer H233H 
PowerCase
Antec Earthwatts 430 none 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hard Drives & Storage
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › Partitioning My System Drive - Have questions, would appreciate some answers!