Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Z68 questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Z68 questions

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Hi, I'm trying to understand the differences between the P/H67 boards and the upcoming Z68 ones.

What is the integrated GPU thing about? I've heard that Z68 will enable it somehow, but in what capacity? Will it work along with a discreet video card similar to how hybrid crossfire works? I read the Toms Hardware article on some software under development that was needed to enable it, and it left me even more confused.

And what about Rapid Sync (I think it's called,) I gather it's a video encoding feature or something? How does it work, and why does it require a Z68 board to function?

And finally, the SSD caching. It sounds like an intermediate level of data storage between the HDD and the RAM. Is that about right?

Thanks.
Rokas' PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k asus p8p67 pro GTX 470 4GB DDR3 1600 g-skill 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1TB WD 6GB/s Windows 7 Home Premium x64 24" 2ms latency 1920x1080 Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
650W Corsair HAF 932 Logitech G5 Qck+ 
  hide details  
Reply
Rokas' PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k asus p8p67 pro GTX 470 4GB DDR3 1600 g-skill 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1TB WD 6GB/s Windows 7 Home Premium x64 24" 2ms latency 1920x1080 Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
650W Corsair HAF 932 Logitech G5 Qck+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 12
Reminder not to bump within 24 hours. In exchange, this post will serve as a free one.
Deep Blood
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 D0 (Batch # 3901A240) Foxconn X58 Blood Rage (non-GTI) eVGA GeForce GTX670 2GB 6GB Corsair Dominator 1.6GHz TR3X6G1600C8D Rev 3.2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD830 128GB / Seagate 640GB+1TB+2TB+4TB Samsung SH-S223Q 22X XTTH | OCZ Freeze | 9G1212H1011 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2410f (rev. A02) Code 104 w/O-rings + Vortex doubleshot keycaps Antec HCPP-850 CaseLabs SM8 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitech G500 Sharkoon 1337 Asus Xonar DX + Swan D1080MkII08 + MXL Tempo Lifecam Cinema 
  hide details  
Reply
Deep Blood
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 D0 (Batch # 3901A240) Foxconn X58 Blood Rage (non-GTI) eVGA GeForce GTX670 2GB 6GB Corsair Dominator 1.6GHz TR3X6G1600C8D Rev 3.2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD830 128GB / Seagate 640GB+1TB+2TB+4TB Samsung SH-S223Q 22X XTTH | OCZ Freeze | 9G1212H1011 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2410f (rev. A02) Code 104 w/O-rings + Vortex doubleshot keycaps Antec HCPP-850 CaseLabs SM8 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitech G500 Sharkoon 1337 Asus Xonar DX + Swan D1080MkII08 + MXL Tempo Lifecam Cinema 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 12
P67 boards cannot use the built-in GPU of SB processors. In this regard Z68 is like a cross between P67 and H67 plus some extra features. You can use a discrete video card while also utilizing the CPU's integrated GPU to encode videos. You're correct about the SSD caching. It's just a relatively easy option for mainstream users to get a performance boost by adding a (likely inexpensive) SSD after their HDD.
post #4 of 12
from what i read on tomshardware, anything up until 64 gb would be good for caching. Any higher, and you should just use said ssd for your os.
Little Monster
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 3930k Rampage IV Gene EVGA Geforce GTX 670 FTW G.Skill Sniper 4x4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Intel 520 Western Digital Caviar green Western Digital Caviar Blue Corsair H100 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
ap-15 x4 Windows 7 Ultimate Asus VH232H Cooler Master CM Storm Quickfire Pro 
PowerCaseMouse
Antec Earthwatts Platinum 650w Fractal Arc Mini Cooler Master Xornet 
  hide details  
Reply
Little Monster
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 3930k Rampage IV Gene EVGA Geforce GTX 670 FTW G.Skill Sniper 4x4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Intel 520 Western Digital Caviar green Western Digital Caviar Blue Corsair H100 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
ap-15 x4 Windows 7 Ultimate Asus VH232H Cooler Master CM Storm Quickfire Pro 
PowerCaseMouse
Antec Earthwatts Platinum 650w Fractal Arc Mini Cooler Master Xornet 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFL Replica View Post
P67 boards cannot use the built-in GPU of SB processors. In this regard Z68 is like a cross between P67 and H67 plus some extra features. You can use a discrete video card while also utilizing the CPU's integrated GPU to encode videos. You're correct about the SSD caching. It's just a relatively easy option for mainstream users to get a performance boost by adding a (likely inexpensive) SSD after their HDD.
Hmm, so could the discreet card and IGP be working on the same thing simultaneously?

i.e would benchmarks or games see any benefit from this feature?

=S is it not allowed to bump before 24 hours have passed? I think I've broken that rule several times >.<.

Sorry!!
Rokas' PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k asus p8p67 pro GTX 470 4GB DDR3 1600 g-skill 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1TB WD 6GB/s Windows 7 Home Premium x64 24" 2ms latency 1920x1080 Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
650W Corsair HAF 932 Logitech G5 Qck+ 
  hide details  
Reply
Rokas' PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k asus p8p67 pro GTX 470 4GB DDR3 1600 g-skill 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1TB WD 6GB/s Windows 7 Home Premium x64 24" 2ms latency 1920x1080 Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
650W Corsair HAF 932 Logitech G5 Qck+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokabud View Post
Hmm, so could the discreet card and IGP be working on the same thing simultaneously?

i.e would benchmarks or games see any benefit from this feature?

=S is it not allowed to bump before 24 hours have passed? I think I've broken that rule several times >.<.

Sorry!!
No, you can't get some kind of SLI/CF equivalent between an Intel IGP and a discrete video card. The Discrete (not discreet) video card can have the display attached to it and do everything related to that while the IGP works alongside the CPU to encode.
post #7 of 12
On my laptop which has a Core i7 2630Qm and a 6770m, they can't work at the same time. My laptop supports switchable graphics which allows me to switch between the 6770m and the built in graphics card.

It helps save a lot of battery for example I get 2.5 hours of battery life with the 6770m and 5.5 hours of battery life with the IntelHD graphics.

It's like an onboard video card, it becomes useless when a discrete video card is used.

For some reason on laptops I have to turn off the discrete card to use it to encode well with MediaExpresso.
Maximus
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 6700K 4.8Ghz @ 1.4v Maximus VIII Formula Radeon RX VEGA 64 G-Skill 32GB 3424Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 Evo 2TB Raid 0 Corsair H100i V2 Windows 10 Pro Acer XF270HUA 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cherry MX Board 6.0 Seasonic X-850 Lian-Li PC-V33B Logitech G600 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Alugraphics GamerArt Definitive Technology Incline SMSL M8  
  hide details  
Reply
Maximus
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 6700K 4.8Ghz @ 1.4v Maximus VIII Formula Radeon RX VEGA 64 G-Skill 32GB 3424Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 Evo 2TB Raid 0 Corsair H100i V2 Windows 10 Pro Acer XF270HUA 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cherry MX Board 6.0 Seasonic X-850 Lian-Li PC-V33B Logitech G600 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Alugraphics GamerArt Definitive Technology Incline SMSL M8  
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
On my laptop which has a Core i7 2630Qm and a 6770m, they can't work at the same time. My laptop supports switchable graphics which allows me to switch between the 6770m and the built in graphics card.

It helps save a lot of battery for example I get 2.5 hours of battery life with the 6770m and 5.5 hours of battery life with the IntelHD graphics.

It's like an onboard video card, it becomes useless when a discrete video card is used.

For some reason on laptops you have to turn off the discrete card to use it to encode well with MediaExpresso.
As I was explaining, Z68 prevents the integrated GPU from becoming useless. A big step up from P67 which couldn't use it at all.
post #9 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFL Replica View Post
No, you can't get some kind of SLI/CF equivalent between an Intel IGP and a discrete video card. The Discrete (not discreet) video card can have the display attached to it and do everything related to that while the IGP works alongside the CPU to encode.
Ohh. So while the display is attached to the discrete card, the IGP can't...show anything on the display? But it could be encoding videos while the discrete card took care of the display.

Would there be any performance impact on the rest of the CPU while the IGP works?

So Z68 doesn't add any increase in benchmark/gaming performance, it adds more practical benefits like a budget-friendly SSD solution and super fast video encoding. Is that right?
Rokas' PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k asus p8p67 pro GTX 470 4GB DDR3 1600 g-skill 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1TB WD 6GB/s Windows 7 Home Premium x64 24" 2ms latency 1920x1080 Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
650W Corsair HAF 932 Logitech G5 Qck+ 
  hide details  
Reply
Rokas' PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k asus p8p67 pro GTX 470 4GB DDR3 1600 g-skill 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1TB WD 6GB/s Windows 7 Home Premium x64 24" 2ms latency 1920x1080 Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
650W Corsair HAF 932 Logitech G5 Qck+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokabud View Post
Ohh. So while the display is attached to the discrete card, the IGP can't...show anything on the display? But it could be encoding videos while the discrete card took care of the display.

Would there be any performance impact on the rest of the CPU while the IGP works?

So Z68 doesn't add any increase in benchmark/gaming performance, it adds more practical benefits like a budget-friendly SSD solution and super fast video encoding. Is that right?
That is correct. You may regard Z68 as the first fully featured 1155 chipset or the best of both worlds (P67 and H67) plus some extras. P67 is already on its way out as Gigabyte recently announced that it has halted production of P67 motherboards.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Z68 questions