Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › First time builder any feedback will help
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First time builder any feedback will help - Page 2

post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kztec View Post
So if the 6950 can't unlock to 6970 to be on the safe side should i go with evga gtx570sc? or just save some money and go with evga gtx560sc? Would there be a huge difference? (meaning is it worth the $100 difference) I'm not planning to Sli or CrossFire.
Firstly, it would be wise to double-check on the unlock. When I saw that, I’d pretty much decided upon the GTX560, so I didn’t give it much thought or time for investigation. The GTX560 is hard to criticise for performance/price balance and when OCd it performs more or less as well as a GTX570. On the other hand, I’d also read that the GTX570 can go ‘pop’ when pushed, so the GTX560 might be better for you. The GTX560 also gets a thumbs-up from Custom PC (MSI TwinFrozr2 version) for budget to mid-range rigs. With SLI, although you say you’re not considering it, Guru3d reviewed the SLI performance of 2 GTX560s very highly. Just worth bearing in mind as in a year or so it could be a reasonably cheap upgrade to get some longevity into your system – you’ll need more than 650W then, though. However, that’s not on your agenda, which I acknowledge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kztec View Post
Also im coming from AMD 965 BE with gtx260sc (that my friend put together)
Safe to say you’ll see a difference. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible View Post
What these cards come down is the 560 beats the 6950 at lower reso's while the 6950 beats the 560 at high reso's.
Not quite as simplistic as that.  It depends upon the game as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible View Post
The cards are pretty much neck and neck for most games with only about a difference of 2-5 FPS in whatever game you are playing.
That pretty much sums it up for you, kztec. If in one game, The GTX560 performs a bit worse than the 6950 it’s a safe bet in another that’ll be flipped. Check out the comparisons with a quick Google and choose for yourself, but whichever one you go for, you’ll get a good piece of kit.
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kztec View Post
Currently i have sony LCD 32 1080p TV for monitor at 1360x768 but im planning to buy Samsung P2770FH
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824001431 will be running at 1920 x 1080
Then I would go with a 6950 since it wins in most scenarios at that reso. And then unlock it and you'll be set.
Literally da bes
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|Intel| i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz - 1.345v |ASRock| P67 Extreme4 Gen3 |MSI| GTX 970 Gaming 4GB |GSkill| Sniper Low Voltage 8GB DDR3 @ 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
|Samsung| Spinpoint F3 1TB |Kingston| HyperX 3K 128GB BD-ROM |Cooler Master| Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorPowerCase
|Microsoft| Win7 Professional 64-bit |ASUS| VH236H |Corsair| TX650 v2 |Corsair| Carbide 400R 
MouseMouse PadAudio
|Cooler Master| Storm Spawn |RAZER| Goliathus Speed |Creative| Insprire T10 
  hide details  
Reply
Literally da bes
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|Intel| i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz - 1.345v |ASRock| P67 Extreme4 Gen3 |MSI| GTX 970 Gaming 4GB |GSkill| Sniper Low Voltage 8GB DDR3 @ 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
|Samsung| Spinpoint F3 1TB |Kingston| HyperX 3K 128GB BD-ROM |Cooler Master| Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorPowerCase
|Microsoft| Win7 Professional 64-bit |ASUS| VH236H |Corsair| TX650 v2 |Corsair| Carbide 400R 
MouseMouse PadAudio
|Cooler Master| Storm Spawn |RAZER| Goliathus Speed |Creative| Insprire T10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diellur View Post
Firstly, it would be wise to double-check on the unlock. When I saw that, I’d pretty much decided upon the GTX560, so I didn’t give it much thought or time for investigation. The GTX560 is hard to criticise for performance/price balance and when OCd it performs more or less as well as a GTX570. On the other hand, I’d also read that the GTX570 can go ‘pop’ when pushed, so the GTX560 might be better for you. The GTX560 also gets a thumbs-up from Custom PC (MSI TwinFrozr2 version) for budget to mid-range rigs. With SLI, although you say you’re not considering it, Guru3d reviewed the SLI performance of 2 GTX560s very highly. Just worth bearing in mind as in a year or so it could be a reasonably cheap upgrade to get some longevity into your system – you’ll need more than 650W then, though. However, that’s not on your agenda, which I acknowledge!
I'm pretty sure that that 650w PSU will be able to handle 2 GTX 560s.
post #14 of 25
Thread Starter 
Ty everyone with the help. Last thing i would like to know its the raid 0 question. Sata 3.0GB/s 16MB Cache VS 6.0GB/s 32MB Cache. Is it true that 6.0 is noticeably faster then 3.0??
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMd 965 BE MSI NF980-G65 GTX 260 216SP 55nm 4gb G.Skill DDR3 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
WB Black 640gb win 7 64bit Corsair 750tx Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMd 965 BE MSI NF980-G65 GTX 260 216SP 55nm 4gb G.Skill DDR3 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
WB Black 640gb win 7 64bit Corsair 750tx Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 25
Build looks solid!!! Keep the WD but ditch one for a SSD for your OS ! (imo)

Ps. The spinpoints are good drives, ( not better) they have slightly fatser download speeds. The wd black has faster read/write speed. Wich in your case would be better for you OS. If you get a SSD for your OS ,either would be fine for storage!

Either gpu would be fine, remember only the 6950 2gb reference model will unlock!!!
BIG DADDY!!!!!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7-950 @ 4.0ghz HT EVGA-Classified-3 EVGA GTX-580 6GB Corsair Dom 2000MHZ 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
120GB Corsair Force-SSD--2TB-WD-BLACK windows7-HP Lg 24 inch RAZER. BLACKWIDOW ULTIMATE 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair-AX1200 HAF-X-942 RAZER-LACHESIS-5600 Steelseries QCK 
  hide details  
Reply
BIG DADDY!!!!!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7-950 @ 4.0ghz HT EVGA-Classified-3 EVGA GTX-580 6GB Corsair Dom 2000MHZ 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
120GB Corsair Force-SSD--2TB-WD-BLACK windows7-HP Lg 24 inch RAZER. BLACKWIDOW ULTIMATE 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair-AX1200 HAF-X-942 RAZER-LACHESIS-5600 Steelseries QCK 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible View Post
Then I would go with a 6950 since it wins in most scenarios at that reso. And then unlock it and you'll be set.
If he can…jury’s still out on that. Other factors should be mentioned too, like that fact that the difference in performance is not going to be noticeable anyway. If the 6950 can do 100fps and the GTX560 can do 90fps, in reality you won’t be able to distinguish between the two as the human eye stops noticing around the 60fps mark. I guess it can come down to which brand to you like more, it’s that close!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faint View Post
I'm pretty sure that that 650w PSU will be able to handle 2 GTX 560s.
According to the review, you’d need more – not by much, granted, but a bit of headroom that a 650W PSU couldn’t provide (particularly when OCing). Bearing in mind you want your power consumption to be about 80% of your PSU’s capability, a PC PSU requirement calculator corroborates this.

It’s academic, anyway…if the OP is sure he’s not going SLI / Crossfire in the future, 650W is fine. But if it’s even remotely possible, I’d rather sink an extra £20 now on a meatier PSU than the thick end of £100 later on.
post #17 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEVALL View Post
Build looks solid!!! Keep the WD but ditch one for a SSD for your OS ! (imo)
Yea i would love to get SSD for OS but i also need to get monitor and speaker too and im aready passing my $1500 limit.....
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMd 965 BE MSI NF980-G65 GTX 260 216SP 55nm 4gb G.Skill DDR3 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
WB Black 640gb win 7 64bit Corsair 750tx Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMd 965 BE MSI NF980-G65 GTX 260 216SP 55nm 4gb G.Skill DDR3 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
WB Black 640gb win 7 64bit Corsair 750tx Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diellur View Post
If he can…jury’s still out on that. Other factors should be mentioned too, like that fact that the difference in performance is not going to be noticeable anyway. If the 6950 can do 100fps and the GTX560 can do 90fps, in reality you won’t be able to distinguish between the two as the human eye stops noticing around the 60fps mark. I guess it can come down to which brand to you like more, it’s that close!
Very true. In some games like Metro though, the 6950 would be getting about 30 FPS while the 560 would be getting about 25, which is extremely noticable at times, at least for me it is.

Again though, whatever GPU you choose, you will not be disappointed. They are extremely extremely close in performance, and each time one outperforms the other, the vice versa is applied in other instances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diellur View Post
According to the review, you’d need more – not by much, granted, but a bit of headroom that a 650W PSU couldn’t provide (particularly when OCing). Bearing in mind you want your power consumption to be about 80% of your PSU’s capability, a PC PSU requirement calculator corroborates this.

It’s academic, anyway…if the OP is sure he’s not going SLI / Crossfire in the future, 650W is fine. But if it’s even remotely possible, I’d rather sink an extra £20 now on a meatier PSU than the thick end of £100 later on.
Also very true. One of the things I never try to go cheap on is the PSU. What my though process is here is I try to find the minimum PSU my build could properly run on, and go 100W up from there. So 750W would do you really well in this situation, and would be highly sufficient for an SLI/XFire setup with OC's.
Literally da bes
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|Intel| i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz - 1.345v |ASRock| P67 Extreme4 Gen3 |MSI| GTX 970 Gaming 4GB |GSkill| Sniper Low Voltage 8GB DDR3 @ 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
|Samsung| Spinpoint F3 1TB |Kingston| HyperX 3K 128GB BD-ROM |Cooler Master| Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorPowerCase
|Microsoft| Win7 Professional 64-bit |ASUS| VH236H |Corsair| TX650 v2 |Corsair| Carbide 400R 
MouseMouse PadAudio
|Cooler Master| Storm Spawn |RAZER| Goliathus Speed |Creative| Insprire T10 
  hide details  
Reply
Literally da bes
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|Intel| i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz - 1.345v |ASRock| P67 Extreme4 Gen3 |MSI| GTX 970 Gaming 4GB |GSkill| Sniper Low Voltage 8GB DDR3 @ 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
|Samsung| Spinpoint F3 1TB |Kingston| HyperX 3K 128GB BD-ROM |Cooler Master| Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorPowerCase
|Microsoft| Win7 Professional 64-bit |ASUS| VH236H |Corsair| TX650 v2 |Corsair| Carbide 400R 
MouseMouse PadAudio
|Cooler Master| Storm Spawn |RAZER| Goliathus Speed |Creative| Insprire T10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 25
Thread Starter 
After reviewing all you guys post my finall build is

Cpu: Intel i5-2500k
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 PRO (REV 3.0)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaw 4GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231303
Power Supply: Corsair HX 650W
Hard Drive: WD black 500GB (x2 raid 0) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136795
Video Card: EVGA GTX 560SC
Heatsink: CM Hyper 212
Case: CM Storm Scout
DVD Burner: Sony Optiar Black 24X
Monitor: 27" Samsung P2770FH
Speaker: Logitech Z623

Grand total of 1630.09... 130.09 over the limit.... oh well

Any last thoughts??
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMd 965 BE MSI NF980-G65 GTX 260 216SP 55nm 4gb G.Skill DDR3 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
WB Black 640gb win 7 64bit Corsair 750tx Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMd 965 BE MSI NF980-G65 GTX 260 216SP 55nm 4gb G.Skill DDR3 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
WB Black 640gb win 7 64bit Corsair 750tx Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible View Post
Very true. In some games like Metro though, the 6950 would be getting about 30 FPS while the 560 would be getting about 25, which is extremely noticable at times, at least for me it is.
Remind me not to play Metro any time soon…I’d have to cry if that was the case! Or make my wife cry by getting another card to SLI…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible View Post
Again though, whatever GPU you choose, you will not be disappointed. They are extremely extremely close in performance, and each time one outperforms the other, the vice versa is applied in other instances.
For sure. It’s fun to debate, but the practical difference is virtually nil and by the time you notice your card struggling you’d probably be looking to upgrade anyway. I’d worry if either card had difficulties with any games in the next 6 - 12 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible View Post
What my though process is here is I try to find the minimum PSU my build could properly run on, and go 100W up from there.
You know, I’d never thought of doing it like that. It’s a good rule of thumb…filed!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › First time builder any feedback will help