Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Q9300 OC question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Q9300 OC question

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
I have my Q9300 overclocked to 3.5Ghz on a Gigabyte EP45-UD3R and it is generally stable. It'll run Prime95 and Intel Burn Test for a few hours (never tried any longer). It also handles games and unpacking large files in WinRAR fine. The temps are good, in the mid 60s on the hottest core.

But last night, I was doing some heavy multitasking, I had COD4, Ventrillo, Xfire, AGRcon, and a few tabs in Firefox open and my computer would just freeze. No blue screen, no restart, nothing. Just totally unresponsive. I tried bumping the Vcore and NB voltages up, and I also tried setting my RAM timings to their defaults. But it did the same thing 2 more time. It's also done this before last night once or twice. What could be causing this?
post #2 of 7
How many loops did you use with IBT? Try 25 with max amount of ram.

You may be a little short on CPU Termination or MCH voltage. Try bumping them both to +.2 to see if it helps and fine tune from there.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3 Sapphire 6970 3SR Ripjaws X 8GB DDR3-1866 CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial C300 Western Digital Black Western Digital Black Pioneer DVR-212DBK 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
NH-U12P SE2 NF-P14 FLX NF-S12B FLX Windows 7 Professional x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 24" Wide (W2453V) Logitech Standard 102 (Soon to be Ducky Shine w... Corsair 850HX Ultra Aluminus ATX Black Mid-Tower 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer DeathAdder 3.5g Optical Steelseries 4HD Auzentech Forte 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3 Sapphire 6970 3SR Ripjaws X 8GB DDR3-1866 CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial C300 Western Digital Black Western Digital Black Pioneer DVR-212DBK 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
NH-U12P SE2 NF-P14 FLX NF-S12B FLX Windows 7 Professional x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 24" Wide (W2453V) Logitech Standard 102 (Soon to be Ducky Shine w... Corsair 850HX Ultra Aluminus ATX Black Mid-Tower 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer DeathAdder 3.5g Optical Steelseries 4HD Auzentech Forte 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 7
What are the memory module timings, voltage and speed? And at what FSB are you?
Money dump
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570k 4.4Ghz @ 1.22v ASRock Z77 Pro4 Sapphire R9 Nano @ Fury X clocks Crucial Ballistix VLP 2x8GB 1600 @ 2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 128GB SSD, Seagate 3TB, Samsung 1TB Sony DVD/Rw 24x Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme + GT AP-14 Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung U24E590D UHD Saitek Eclipse II Seasonic Prime 850w Titanium Corsair Carbide Air 540 
MouseAudio
Steelseries Xai Asus Xonar D1 / M-Audio AV40 / Ultrasone HFI-650 
  hide details  
Reply
Money dump
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570k 4.4Ghz @ 1.22v ASRock Z77 Pro4 Sapphire R9 Nano @ Fury X clocks Crucial Ballistix VLP 2x8GB 1600 @ 2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 128GB SSD, Seagate 3TB, Samsung 1TB Sony DVD/Rw 24x Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme + GT AP-14 Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung U24E590D UHD Saitek Eclipse II Seasonic Prime 850w Titanium Corsair Carbide Air 540 
MouseAudio
Steelseries Xai Asus Xonar D1 / M-Audio AV40 / Ultrasone HFI-650 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 7
Thread Starter 
Running at 500FSB with a multiplier of 7. RAM timings are 5-5-5-15, running at 1000Mhz.

What is CPU termination?
post #5 of 7
lol cpu or something can be overheating and just needs to cool down
power supply or anything else

i hoped i helped (:
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 965 3.40ghz stock Asus m4a785-m XFX HD 5770 1GB Corsair XMS2 4gb DDR2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Seagate 750gb Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Acer AL1716W 17" LSP ULTRA 750watt ATX 
Case
Ultra X-Blaster Black ATX Mid-Tower 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 965 3.40ghz stock Asus m4a785-m XFX HD 5770 1GB Corsair XMS2 4gb DDR2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Seagate 750gb Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Acer AL1716W 17" LSP ULTRA 750watt ATX 
Case
Ultra X-Blaster Black ATX Mid-Tower 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynny View Post
I have my Q9300 overclocked to 3.5Ghz on a Gigabyte EP45-UD3R and it is generally stable. It'll run Prime95 and Intel Burn Test for a few hours (never tried any longer). It also handles games and unpacking large files in WinRAR fine. The temps are good, in the mid 60s on the hottest core.

But last night, I was doing some heavy multitasking, I had COD4, Ventrillo, Xfire, AGRcon, and a few tabs in Firefox open and my computer would just freeze. No blue screen, no restart, nothing. Just totally unresponsive. I tried bumping the Vcore and NB voltages up, and I also tried setting my RAM timings to their defaults. But it did the same thing 2 more time. It's also done this before last night once or twice. What could be causing this?
I had the same problem with my Q9300. I had it running on a XFX Nforce 780i board at 3.375GHz (450x7.5) for quite a while before having the same problem - random freeze; usually when doing video encoding.
Nothing would show up in the event log either.
I brought it down to 3GHz and it worked fine for a while but then the motherboard died. Whether the two are related, I never managed to determine, but just to be on the safe side, I'd turn the OC back down a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrjaay View Post
lol cpu or something can be overheating and just needs to cool down
power supply or anything else

i hoped i helped (:
It wouldn't be overheating at 60c, and even if was overheating, the computer would shut itself off immediately, it wouldn't just hang there.
Echo
(8 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K Asus Maximus V Gene Asus Radeon HD 7970 3GB Mushkin Blackline 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCaseOther
2x Samsung 830 256GB Seagate Barracuda 3TB Silverstone Temjin TJ08-E BeQuiet E9-700w 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel i3-3225 ASUS P8B75-MLX Corsair Ballistix Tactical Western Digital Red 
OSPowerCaseOther
Ubuntu Corsair CX500M Norco RPC-4224 LSI SAS 9207-4i4e HBA 
Other
Chenbro CK22804 24-Port SAS Expander Card 
  hide details  
Reply
Echo
(8 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K Asus Maximus V Gene Asus Radeon HD 7970 3GB Mushkin Blackline 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCaseOther
2x Samsung 830 256GB Seagate Barracuda 3TB Silverstone Temjin TJ08-E BeQuiet E9-700w 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel i3-3225 ASUS P8B75-MLX Corsair Ballistix Tactical Western Digital Red 
OSPowerCaseOther
Ubuntu Corsair CX500M Norco RPC-4224 LSI SAS 9207-4i4e HBA 
Other
Chenbro CK22804 24-Port SAS Expander Card 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Adz] View Post
I had the same problem with my Q9300. I had it running on a XFX Nforce 780i board at 3.375GHz (450x7.5) for quite a while before having the same problem - random freeze; usually when doing video encoding.
Nothing would show up in the event log either.
I brought it down to 3GHz and it worked fine for a while but then the motherboard died. Whether the two are related, I never managed to determine, but just to be on the safe side, I'd turn the OC back down a little.
Thanks. Yea, I just backed my clocks down for a LAN party I'm at. I may just keep them here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrjaay View Post
lol cpu or something can be overheating and just needs to cool down
power supply or anything else

i hoped i helped (:
That was not helpful at all.

Anyone know what CPU termination is?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Q9300 OC question