Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › SATA 6.0 SSDs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SATA 6.0 SSDs

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
I was hoping my current RAID array would last until a plethora of SATA 6.0 SSDs were available, but one of my 36GB Raptors just croaked and forced my hand.

I intend to use this drive as my OS and software drive (all of my software installations, including games). I have a separate HDD for large file storage such as music and movies.

My questions/concerns:
1) With my current motherboard, I presume I will be bottlenecked by the southbridge such that RAID-0 is pointless with fast SSDs?

2) I'm pretty sure that SATA 6.0 drives are backwards compatible with SATA 3.0 ports, but I want to be sure as I intend to keep my current motherboard and processor for a while and just have a "futureproof" storage setup. Are there any SATA 6.0 models known to have issues with SATA 3.0?

3) I was looking at the new SATA 6.0 OCZ drives with SandForce controllers in them, and I see them available in places. However, I remember reading that the new drives are slower because internally there is less parallelism. Is this still the case? Are there better drives available?

4) What do I need to do to prolong the life of the drive? I know disabling TRIM is key if I use RAID, but is there anything else I am forgetting?

5) I don't need much storage capacity; roughly 75GB will suffice! However, I know some drives are much faster when you buy the larger capacity versions. Are there any drives that get around this?
Edited by stargate125645 - 4/19/11 at 9:02am
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 22
1. You could try it, and if it seems slow buy a dedicated RAID card.

2. Indeed they are, running that way as we speak on my motherboard.




But here is a question for you. Why do you want to RAID SSD's? You could get a Revodrive and be set for a long time.
post #3 of 22
From what I know (correct me if Im wrong):
1)SATA 6Gbps drives are just finally using the full SATA II 3Gbps bandwidth.

2) Yes, they are backwards compatible. Im using a C300 on my SATA II board without issues. But obviously, I would see better performance on SATA 6Gbps when I upgrade my board.

3)Dont know

4)TRIM will automatically be disabled if you run SSDs in Raid config, and GC (Garbage Collection) will be enabled and run when your system is idle. The best way I can describe Trim vs Garbage collection is TRIM deleted the pointer for the deleted data/section right away, GC the deletion on the drive is "Queued" and the pointer is erased when your system is marked idle. The minor issue with GC is if you never give your system any idle time to clean up.

For SSD drives, You will want to do things like disable recycle bin, Hibernation, System Restore, change the location of indexing, anything that continuously writes to the drive will shorten the lifespan.

If you do a search here on the forums or in google you will find plenty of guides on what needs to be done, step-by-step.

5)Not Sure.
Edited by Addictedtokaos - 4/19/11 at 7:20am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3 Sapphire 6970 3SR Ripjaws X 8GB DDR3-1866 CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial C300 Western Digital Black Western Digital Black Pioneer DVR-212DBK 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
NH-U12P SE2 NF-P14 FLX NF-S12B FLX Windows 7 Professional x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 24" Wide (W2453V) Logitech Standard 102 (Soon to be Ducky Shine w... Corsair 850HX Ultra Aluminus ATX Black Mid-Tower 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer DeathAdder 3.5g Optical Steelseries 4HD Auzentech Forte 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3 Sapphire 6970 3SR Ripjaws X 8GB DDR3-1866 CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial C300 Western Digital Black Western Digital Black Pioneer DVR-212DBK 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
NH-U12P SE2 NF-P14 FLX NF-S12B FLX Windows 7 Professional x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 24" Wide (W2453V) Logitech Standard 102 (Soon to be Ducky Shine w... Corsair 850HX Ultra Aluminus ATX Black Mid-Tower 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer DeathAdder 3.5g Optical Steelseries 4HD Auzentech Forte 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 22
1-4) ^Above
5) Why yes, there are, maybe not in the 80GB range but in the 120GB range:
OCZ Vertex 3
Intel 510
Crucial M4 (Not out)
Crucial C300
Turbulence
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-2500k 4.4GHz Asus P8P67 Pro 3.1 HIS HD 7870 2GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial m4 128GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Asus DRW-24B1ST Noctua NH-D14 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Accelero Twin Turbo II Windows 7 Professional N Dell U2311H Realforce 87U White 55cN 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX650V2 Fractal Design R3 Black Pearl Razer DeathAdder SteelSeries 4HD 
AudioAudioAudio
Audinst HUD-mx1 Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 600 Ω Recabled M-Audio AV40 
  hide details  
Reply
Turbulence
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-2500k 4.4GHz Asus P8P67 Pro 3.1 HIS HD 7870 2GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial m4 128GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Asus DRW-24B1ST Noctua NH-D14 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Accelero Twin Turbo II Windows 7 Professional N Dell U2311H Realforce 87U White 55cN 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX650V2 Fractal Design R3 Black Pearl Razer DeathAdder SteelSeries 4HD 
AudioAudioAudio
Audinst HUD-mx1 Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 600 Ω Recabled M-Audio AV40 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Master Chief View Post
1. You could try it, and if it seems slow buy a dedicated RAID card.

2. Indeed they are, running that way as we speak on my motherboard.

But here is a question for you. Why do you want to RAID SSD's? You could get a Revodrive and be set for a long time.
Last I looked they were cost prohibitive (in terms of diminishing returns). Are they priced better now? I still see them as more expensive unless I'm looking in the wrong places. I also am not fond of having two super hot graphics cards (should I go SLI or CrossFire) next to the flash chips, and would prefer there to be an enclosure for looks purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addictedtokaos View Post
)TRIM will automatically be disabled if you run SSDs in Raid config, and GC (Garbage Collection) will be enabled and run when your system is idle. The best way I can describe Trim vs Garbage collection is TRIM deleted the pointer for the deleted data/section right away, GC the deletion on the drive is "Queued" and the pointer is erased when your system is marked idle. The minor issue with GC is if you never give your system any idle time to clean up.

For SSD drives, You will want to do things like disable recycle bin, Hibernation, System Restore, change the location of indexing, anything that continuously writes to the drive will shorten the lifespan.

If you do a search here on the forums or in google you will find plenty of guides on what needs to be done, step-by-step.
Thanks for the reminder on the guides!

I'm glad to hear that multiple people have SATA 3.0 ports that are fully cooperating!


Quote:
Originally Posted by csm725 View Post
1-4) ^Above
5) Why yes, there are, maybe not in the 80GB range but in the 120GB range:
OCZ Vertex 3
Intel 510
Crucial M4 (Not out)
Crucial C300
But does the 120GB drive have the same speeds as the higher capacity drives? What about the parallelism issue I mentioned?
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 22
They have come down in price over the last while, but still if you have no need to experience the latest tech, then just stick with your raptors.

I just picked my c300 last month for $115/64gb. better than before but still pricey for storage.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3 Sapphire 6970 3SR Ripjaws X 8GB DDR3-1866 CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial C300 Western Digital Black Western Digital Black Pioneer DVR-212DBK 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
NH-U12P SE2 NF-P14 FLX NF-S12B FLX Windows 7 Professional x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 24" Wide (W2453V) Logitech Standard 102 (Soon to be Ducky Shine w... Corsair 850HX Ultra Aluminus ATX Black Mid-Tower 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer DeathAdder 3.5g Optical Steelseries 4HD Auzentech Forte 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3 Sapphire 6970 3SR Ripjaws X 8GB DDR3-1866 CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial C300 Western Digital Black Western Digital Black Pioneer DVR-212DBK 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
NH-U12P SE2 NF-P14 FLX NF-S12B FLX Windows 7 Professional x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 24" Wide (W2453V) Logitech Standard 102 (Soon to be Ducky Shine w... Corsair 850HX Ultra Aluminus ATX Black Mid-Tower 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer DeathAdder 3.5g Optical Steelseries 4HD Auzentech Forte 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addictedtokaos View Post
They have come down in price over the last while, but still if you have no need to experience the latest tech, then just stick with your raptors.

I just picked my c300 last month for $115/64gb. better than before but still pricey for storage.
The Raptors were equally expensive when I bought them years ago so I'm not worried about that; I was referring to the cost of the Revo drive versus a traditional SSD being high for the gain.
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 22
1) No, the ICH10R is one of the best host-based controllers for SSDs. However, RAID0 improves sequential performance and does not help random performance at low queue depths.
2) SATA 6Gb/s is fine with SATA 3Gb/s.
3) The Vertex 2 using 25nm NAND are slower than older ones using 34nm. The two reasons are an unoptimized controller and fewer NAND/channels due to increase density. Check out the Vertex 3... but they are at price premium currently.
4) TRIM does not extend the life of a drive. It ensures performance. I would not worry about the life of a SSD too much. There are enough P/E cycles to at least 5 years before using up the reserve space.
5) I would not worry about performance to too much.... you probably won't notice the difference. Only Intel SSDs come at 80GB sizes (since they use 10 channels).


Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post
The Raptors were equally expensive when I bought them years ago so I'm not worried about that; I was referring to the cost of the Revo drive versus a traditional SSD being high for the gain.
I say no to Revo drives.
1) SSD of the same space is cheaper.
2) SSD RAID0 on your controller is faster/same
3) Revo have compatibility issues
4) Revo have a wake from sleep bug
5) SATA ports are more avaliable than PCIe
6) No TRIM if you decide one drive
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
1) No, the ICH10R is one of the best host-based controllers for SSDs. However, RAID0 improves sequential performance and does not help random performance at low queue depths.
2) SATA 6Gb/s is fine with SATA 3Gb/s.
3) The Vertex 2 using 25nm NAND are slower than older ones using 34nm. The two reasons are an unoptimized controller and fewer NAND/channels due to increase density. Check out the Vertex 3... but they are at price premium currently.
4) TRIM does not extend the life of a drive. It ensures performance. I would not worry about the life of a SSD too much. There are enough P/E cycles to at least 5 years before using up the reserve space.
5) I would not worry about performance to too much.... you probably won't notice the difference. Only Intel SSDs come at 80GB sizes (since they use 10 channels).
But I need to disable TRIM if I go with RAID, correct? Do those Vertex 3 drives have the new SandForce controller for SATA 6.0? Do the Vertex 3 drives suffer the same performance issues as the Vertex 2 because of the 25nm NAND?


Quote:
I say no to Revo drives.
1) SSD of the same space is cheaper.
2) SSD RAID0 on your controller is faster/same
3) Revo have compatibility issues
4) Revo have a wake from sleep bug
5) SATA ports are more avaliable than PCIe
6) No TRIM if you decide one drive
That's what I thought. Thanks!
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 22
Quote:
But I need to disable TRIM if I go with RAID, correct?
You don't need to do anything...the drives won't receive the TRIM command thru a RAID controller.

I'm not gonna comment on OCZ drives.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 920 Asus P6T + LSI 9240-4i SATA6GB/s card Nvidia 8800GTS Patroit Viper 6GB of D3-1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial C300 256GB Benq 1655 W7 Ultimate x64 NEC MultiSync LCD2470WNX 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech diNovo cordless Corsair 650HX Lian Li A10-B Logitech MX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 920 Asus P6T + LSI 9240-4i SATA6GB/s card Nvidia 8800GTS Patroit Viper 6GB of D3-1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial C300 256GB Benq 1655 W7 Ultimate x64 NEC MultiSync LCD2470WNX 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech diNovo cordless Corsair 650HX Lian Li A10-B Logitech MX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: SSD
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › SATA 6.0 SSDs